The High Season

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 23 Jul 2018

Every librarian I know is recommending this book which takes place in a Long Island type of seasonal beach community.  We simply can't keep up with demand for this book and have purchased additional copies in all formats.  This is a word of mouth favorite and our Library's reserve list is long!  Be sure to get extra copies for your adult collection and expect demand.
Thanks to Random House and Goodreads for the ARC of this novel in exchange for my review.  I enjoyed this story much more than I was expecting. I don’t read a lot of (as this is classified on the Netgalley page) “women’s fiction” as I don’t usually find it that interesting. I had read a few positive reviews of this title though, so decided to check it out.  In most ways, it’s a typical townies v. summer people type story, but the author managed to insert enough interesting relationships to make it a little more than the usual. And the descriptions and setting truly made it a perfect summer book.
Very enjoyable summer read of the North Fork area of NY..  Had so many unusual twists and turns that kept you thinking throughout the book.  Great read
I did not like this book. I thought there were too many characters introduced too fast and the main character was unlikeable.  I could not finish it.

I received an ARC from NetGalley for an honest review.

I don't know if it's because I'm from Long Island where this book is set or not, but I loved this book! The story of a woman who has to give up her home during the summer months so she can afford to live there the rest of the year was really compelling to me. As someone who has lived here most of my life, I can say I honestly hate it when the summer people come to stay. Even though I'm not in the moneyed East End, it's gotten so that regular people cannot enjoy the beauty of Eastern Long Island anymore. Right off the bat the I sympathized with the main character. Add to this lots of juicy summer backstabbing...

See Full Review

THE HIGH SEASON by Judy Blundell is the first adult novel from this winner of the National Book Award for Young People (What I Said and How I Lied). This new novel takes place on Long Island as Memorial Day weekend arrives and Ruthie Beamish, her ex-husband Mike, and teenage daughter Jem prepare to vacate their beach house. They rent it each summer to help cover expenses and this year's tenant is Adeline Clay, the widow of a renowned artist for whom Ruthie (now the local museum director) once worked.

Romance, celebrity, social climbing by haves and have-nots, an affair, questions of ethics and potentially dangerous choices quickly fill this book. There's also plenty of art...

See Full Review
I enjoyed this book, but the pace dragged a little.  The characters didn’t  make me want to keep reading
This was a decent summer beach read but didn't have much more substance than that.  Most of the characters were self-centered, entitled Hamptonites who I just couldn't muster up any interest in or sympathy for.
Just didn’t work for me, usually summer themed books in New York with wealthy characters are right up my alley, but alas. I never really connected with the story or characters, I kept having to restart chapters as I lost my attention quickly.
Good summer read!! I really enjoyed this book and look forward to reading more from this author in the future.

I really enjoyed this true "summer" read. It takes place on the North Fork of Long Island, and since I'm from Suffolk County and was on Long Island, for a visit, it seemed to be the perfect way to transition back to my real life in Alabama...ha ha! Everyone knows the Hamptons--where rich and famous celebs go to hangout at the beach and misbehave in the bars while still being close to NYC. The North Folk is where the truly wealthy go to get away from it all--Orient, small town living, and lovingly crafted luxury beach homes are the draw there. And some awesome Revolutionary history, too! (All along the North Shore of Long Island are signs indicating you're on the...

See Full Review
I wasn’t sure what I was going to wind up rating this book. But I’ve sat with it for a few days and I realized that it’s actually been a book that’s stayed with me and for that I gave it an extra star.

I have thought often of Ruthie and her path to letting go and moving on and I was invested in her outcome. I love a book that can make me feel a connection to a character like that.

So for Ruthie I am recommending this book. She wasn’t without faults and her struggles were real and I liked her for that!

I read a lot of summertime beach books and Judy Blundell has written a great addition to the genre.

The book focuses on Ruthie, a middle aged soon to be divorced woman who runs a regional museum. She lives on the pricey north fork of Long Island in a gorgeous house she has to rent out every summer to afford the house the rest of the year. The mother of a 15 year old, Ruthie is dealing with how to start again with the responsibilities of single motherhood and the idea her attractiveness is fading.

This summer's tenant is an old face who brings back memories of Ruthie's past, both what she's given up, and what she has gained. I though the characters were believable and...

See Full Review
Well, this may be my favorite book of the summer and it’s June 2nd. A lot happening with perhaps too many integral characters but the story is woven together flawlessly. The spot-on museum culture made this an even more delightful read for me personally.

Judy Blundell's first novel The High Season (Random House, digital galley, May 22) proves once again that the rich are different from you and me, and it's not just that they have more money. For community museum director Ruthie, the price for living on the North Fork of Long Island is renting out for the summer the big house she shares with her ex-husband and teenage daughter during the winter. This summer, though, wealthy widow Adeline and her spoiled stepson Lucas have taken the house for the entire season, and the Hamptons crowd "discovers'' the North Fork. Everything changes for the village and Ruthie, who soon discovers her so-called friends are a fair-weather...

See Full Review

Ruthie is the very successful and beloved director of the local museum in Orient, Long Island, a town not far from the Hamptons and not as wealthy. She and her husband Mike had purchased their dream home which they turned into a charming summer rental through elbow grease and TLC. The summer income was the only way they could afford to live in the house the rest of the year so each year they packed up and moved with their 16-year-old daughter into a rental.

The museum as a nonprofit is governed by a board of directors, local very rich and entitled women who conspire to replace Ruthie with one of their own. Ruthie does not come from privilege and is powerless to prevent this. The first...

See Full Review
I had thought this book would be about summer romance, beaches, and friendships.  Instead it was about divorce, broken friendships and depression.  There were also many characters and it was hard to keep them straight. There were some parts that were entertaining, like the bounce house blowing away. But all in all, I struggled to keep my attention with this book.  The ending kept you guessing about what may happen to Ruthie, was it going to be a not so happy life for her, or were things going to turn around and she would gain happiness?
This book was just ok for me.  Confusing characters and too many threads of plots.  Some parts were fun, some awful.  I just couldn't relate to any of the characters.  It will undoubtedly, though, be a popular beach read this summer
Just by looking at this cover, it's obvious this will be the perfect beach read. It was good, and I know so many people are going to love this and devour it. The drama and gossip was a little too much for me, and I ended up not enjoying the characters. I found most of them to be insolent and whiny. The writing was fantastic, a well-crafted plot and funny dialogue. I simply just don't think this was the perfect beach read for myself personally. It's worth a try though!

This is exactly the kind of book I want on my summer reading list. I love a nuanced domestic drama that keeps me flipping pages and that's exactly what I got with The High Season by Judy Blundell.

The novel is the quintessential beach read, from the setting right down to the ocean blue cover art. This story takes place in Orient - a cozy and less popular spot than the sparkling, prestigious Hamptons - where Ruthie lives with her daughter and runs the local museum. It's here that she owns a beautiful beach house, but every summer has to give it up to be able to afford it. When her tenant for the summer turns out to be a New York socialite with ties to Ruthie's past in the...