A Country Escape

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Apr 2019

This is a book I started one night when I couldn’t sleep, and it then promptly kept me up until half three in the morning. It’s an absolutely wonderful novel.

I love the main characters in this story, Fran was such a likeable character. She was well rounded, I would have loved to have known a little bit about her back story. But the fact she embraced the adventure and madness of looking after and possibly inheriting a farm, having come from London and knowing nothing about farming and also just like me being afraid of Cows. She was a woman who wouldn’t be beaten, and that is one part of the story I truly loved.

I also enjoyed her relationship with her best friend Issy, she is wonderful and the two of them just bounce off each other perfectly.

I loved Amy, the owner of the farm, She has her funny little ways, even in the short visits that are made to her in her care home from various characters, just the sprinkles of her that are brought to the story I really enjoyed.

I absolutely hated Roy, with a passion. Who is perfectly characterised as the evil Aussie coming to steal the farm from underneath Fran after all her hard work and effort. He was clearly very well written as at times I wanted to stop reading as he was just such a complete horror.

Also how much did I want to smack smug Meg in the face, she was dreadful. She is that bitch that turns up at a party and you know she is going to belittle you and make you feel about an inch tall. Kate just has such a way with characterisation which everyone knows is a huge thing for me in a novel.

I always hoped that the story would end a certain way and I wasn’t disappointed, but old Amy had me going until the very last minute in how her decision was going to go.

I so wanted to visit the supper club, see the farm and wanted to meet the ever gorgeous Anthony.

This was a wonderful, feel good, make you think you can conquer anything novel from the fantastic Kate Fforde. If you are yet to read one of Kate’s novels, what are you waiting for, get down to your local bookshop and buy a few!
Provided by NetGalley for an honest review.

This started off quite slow initially. But once it started going, it flowed really well. I loved the premise and I love cheese. So having the two together made me very happy. I'm not a huge Fford fan. But this was a pleasant enough read.
This was an enjoyable story of a city girl decamping to a remote farmhouse and learning to make cheese.
Obviously she's attracted to the alleged bad boy living 'next door'.
I like an easy read now and again and this was exactly that.
I have always enjoyed books written by the author Katie Fforde and I was not disappointed.

This book was an easy read with some romance thrown into the mix.

An unlikely tale of a possible inheritance leads the heroine to take on running a dairy farm for a year to prove herself.  Along the way there is another long lost relation who wants to inherit the farm to sell it off, and a romance with a neighbour.

It all falls to the dying owner to decide who is to inherit and whether to give her blessing to the new romance.
Really good read, Katie didn’t disappoint! Good feel good easy read. Enjoyed this one. Made me feel good inside
Great storyline with good strong characters.  Very well written.  I would recommend this book to anyone.
A wonderful little romp with great information on dairy farming and cheese making slotted right in - I felt like I was learning alongside Fran during the course of the book, which was just lovely. The characters were pretty great, though unsure whether the character of Roy will endear us Aussies to others. I felt like the characters could have been fleshed out just a touch more, but I did enjoy my time with them just the same.
I particularly loved the scene with the puppies!

The romance felt quite well-paced - though it did just kind of 'happen' at one point. From my point of view, they were still in the flirting stage when things started to happen rapidly, but it was sweet anyway.

Overall a lovely novel to read over the course of two sittings :P
A fantastic read. Thoroughly enjoyed this and it is not something I would usually pick up. Will look for more from this author in future.
Fran is given a year to make a go of the rather rundown farm owned by her elderly relative who recently moved to a care home.  If Fran is successful her relative may leave it to her in her will.  This book is a really good read and I found it hard to put down.  I loved the characters and felt involved with the storyline, it's simply a delightful, charming and uplifting read.
A wonderfully written, feel good story,  that made me smile from start to finish. A fab beach read (or slumped on the sofa read).
I usually really enjoy Katie Fforde books but have to say that this was not her best.   The farm setting and the cheese-making storyline were promising but the characters felt very underdeveloped, as did the relationships between them.  I had to look back a few times to check I hadn't missed something, as various relationships seemed to have moved forward so quickly.   Maybe there will be a chance to revisit this setup and characters in a later book and to take a little more time over them.
Katy Fforde never fails to deliver. Where as this is probably not my favorite of her books, It's a throughly enjoyable read.
Although I enjoyed reading A Country Escape I certainly don't think that it is Katie Fforde's best novel.  The main characters are engaging but some of the more minor ones are somewhat two-dimensional.  There are gaping holes in the plot too.  Fran and Anthony's relationship seems to come out of absolutely nowhere.  And how is the villain of the piece (whose name I can't even remember) able to track down Roy, the other pretender to the farm Fran is trying to save?

She has just moved in to a beautiful but very run-down farm in the Cotswolds, currently owned by an old aunt who has told Fran that if she manages to turn the place around in a year, the farm will be hers.

But Fran knows nothing about farming. She might even be afraid of cows.

She's going to need a lot of help from her best friend Issi, and also from her wealthy and very eligible neighbour - who might just have his own reasons for being so supportive.

Is it the farm he is interested in? Or Fran herself?

I wasn’t sure I would like this book when I started reading it: I thought it was going to be completely about farming, and running the farm.  I soon changed my mind!  A little bit of romance ... I loved it.  5*
I have read many Katie Fforde books and always enjoyed them.  This was easy to read and had the usual effect of escapism that I miss the characters.  A lovely story about Fran, farming and food.  Glad to see it all worked out as the characters deserved.
Typical romantic novel, boy meets girls, encounter a few bumps in the road of their romance but live happily ever after. Great easy reading as a holiday book and the storyline reminded me a little of the film ‘The holiday’
Fran moves to the country to follow her dream, becoming a farmer and eventually making cheese. Her best friend settles in too over time, also finding a new life there. A bit of light escapism, that hasn’t stuck in my mind at all a month or so after I read it…
Fran has always wanted to be a farmer. And now it looks as if her childhood dream is about to come true. She has just moved in to a beautiful but very run-down milk farm in the Cotswolds, currently owned by an old aunt who has told Fran that if she manages to turn the place around in a year, the farm will be hers. However, things are never that simple and a host of obstacles stand in the way of Fran being happy, a handsome neighbour who may only want her for the farm, a muddy track that the milk truck cannot pass and the fact that Fran might just be a little bit scared of cows. I have read a few of Katie Fforde’s books but this is my favourite to date. The descriptions of the idyllic countryside, the interactions between Fran and the other locals (including her contrary and sometime irritable old aunt Amy) and of course the incredibly handsome neighbour who may have an ulterior motive for all the help he keeps giving Fran. This was a lovely read and made me want to move to a farm in the countryside and make cheese. Can’t wait for the next Katie Fforde book.
I always enjoy Katie Fforde and 'A Country Escape' was no exception. It was a comfortable story to read, enjoyable and witty dialogue but no twists or surprises. It was a perfect beach read, but not something I'd read a second time.
A light-hearted love story about a girl who may inherit a farm from a distant relative but she needs to save it first - which she tries by making cheese!  A lovely read.