Cover Image: The Girl with More Than One Heart

The Girl with More Than One Heart

I may be the unpopular opinion but I LOVED it. The story was unique, interesting and captivating. The writing was average at best, but the story made up for it. Great for younger kids/YA. Super fast and grief-filled read.
So many YA books have been based on grief recently. There has been a trend of grief among peers; people who are sick losing friends who have helped them through their illness. Yet I haven’t come across one about the loss of a parent.

This is the subject of the The Girl with More than One Heart by Laura Geringer Bass. Bass uses her own real life experiences of losing her dad, albeit as an adult, as she transfers that grief into an intense feeling shared by a child.

The story focuses on Briana who is dealing with the death of her father. She is a burgeoning teenager with a brother who is on the autistic spectrum and who, rightfully so, is quite demanding of time due to his needs. When she loses her father she also loses her mother too. Her mother is awash with grief and cannot come to terms with her husband’s death making Briana grow up faster than she should have to.

Laura Geringer Bass deals with the subject of loss so well it made a painful topic easier to read about. This is definitely a book you want to use to show understanding and empathy towards others.

A great MG-YA read.

The Girl with More than One Heart by Laura Geringer Bass is available now.

For more information regarding Laura Geringer Bass (@LauraGeringer) please visit www.laurageringerbass.com.

For more information regarding Abrams Kids (@abramskids) please visit www.abramsbooks.com/abramskids/.
The Girl with More Than One Heart

by Laura Geringer Bass

ABRAMS Kids

Amulet Books

Children’s Fiction

Pub Date 17 Apr 2018

I am reviewing a copy of The Girl with More Than One Heart through Amulet Books and Netgalley:

After Brianna looses her Father to her heart attack it’s as if she feels a new heart growing inside of her.

After her Father dies Brianna finds herself having to care for her Autistic younger brother because her Mother is nearly overpowered with grief. She finds herself using most of her time and energy caring for Aaron. Did Aaron’s special needs hurt her Fathers already fragile heart? The feelings of her new “Dads heart” help her to deal with uncertainties as well as the friendships and even romances she starts feeling inside her heart.

As Brianna slowly begins to come to terms with what is happening she is slowly able to let go of her “Dad heart” and learns to rely only on her own heart.

I give The Girl With More Than One Heart five out of five stars!

Happy Reading!
I really enjoyed how this book truly delved into the complicated topic of a parent's death. The way the grief is tackled felt unique but also fairly realistic, which is the highest praise for a contemporary dealing with tough topics.
A very unique contemporary ya novel that will stay with the reader long after you finish.

The story takes an everyday, although tragic, occurrence - the death of a parent - and puts a fresh spin on how it gets handled. Dealing with issues of grief, depression, romance, family and friendship, this book has it all!
The characterisation is strong, and this drives the plot along. Each person adds to the story and it feels like anyone reading it could relate to some aspect or other from it.

A great read and I’d definitely read more by this author!

Thank you to Netgalley for the chance to read this book.
While I enjoyed parts of this book, others felt off to me. I'd be interested in learning more about Ms. Bass's experience with children on the autism spectrum. I myself can't say that I have very much in-depth experience, but Aaron's behavior and the ways in which his family interacted with him didn't quite feel realistic. Briana read very young to me throughout the book, so the romantic developments with Peter towards the end of the book felt a little too grown up for her character. Briana's flashbacks were my favorite parts of the book; the style in whic they were written was the most enjoyable for me. Thanks very much for the advanced copy!