And Now We Have Everything

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Jul 2018

Really quite a touching and hilarious memoir.

My full review appears unsigned on the editors' picks page of a major bookseller.
Ever since I became a mama--before I too was ready--I've been a sucker for books on motherhood. I'll take anything that oozes honesty and candor, so this book didn't disappoint--O'Connell keeps it real. Some might find this book a bit banal or self indulgent, but I'd venture to say other mamas will nod their heads in recognition, taking comfort in that feeling of being understood.
This is the book on motherhood that I've been waiting for.  I can't count the number of times while reading that  I thought "Wow, I thought I was the only one that thought that / felt that way".  Refreshingly candid about pregnancy, birth, and the early days of motherhood, And Now We Have Everything spoke deeply to me.  There were parts where I was laughing so hard I was crying, times when I was gently weeping as I remembered, and moments where I just felt so thankful that this was written proof that I was not alone in my experiences, both good and bad.  Thank you for writing such a special book, Meaghan O'Connell.
As a 20-something who's confident that children are somewhere in my future, and has done more than my fair share of research into what all that includes, I found this book profoundly refreshing. Most of the stories I've heard of pregnancy, birth, and motherhood are positive with the negative bits glossed over, then sandwiched with something else good, as if to make you forget that not-so-good comment on x; but O'Connell does not hold back, and I love it. She tells the things I may not want to hear, but desperately need to hear.
In her first memoir, Meaghan O’Connell lays bare the raw realness of motherhood, describing the intimate details of her struggle to fit into the mold of the perfect mother that society demands. She conveys her experience of unplanned pregnancy in her 20s and the ensuing physical and psychological shift that affects every aspect of her life, from her relationships to her career as a writer. O’Connell pinpoints the challenges of motherhood that aren’t typically shared or socially accepted, demanding that they be validated. Her story is one which women at any stage of life can read and encounter the familiar sense of fear, exhaustion, love, and strength that characterize the female experience.

Online, our friends are famous to other friends: one girlfriend’s caption wit crowned her my “funniest” friend, so much that when she became engaged, strangers cheered her. O’Connell has that appeal, frankness you know second or third-hand but follow assiduously.

This book is strongest in its first person, when O’Connell doesn’t speak for third-wave, dot-com kin, but for herself. Pregnancy, she says, confers a disorienting authority. After a lifetime of being doubted in girlhood, only as a mom-to-be do strangers and relatives ask after her well-being and wait seriously on her orders. Her best lines are all spilled secrets (anesthesiologists are the only doctors who look like TV doctors)...

See Full Review
Alarmingly good. Meaghan O'Connell makes the wild ride of pregnancy, birth, breastfeeding, and forging a new identity as a parent very accessible. Funny, bleak, incredibly honest. I feel like And Now We Have Everything gave me a small sense of what friends/family wrestle with in new parenthood, and I think it will help me ask them better questions. Would recommend strongly to anyone, regardless of their current family status or future plans. The subtitle makes it a bit harder to give as a gift to new parents, unfortunately, but I will be doing so in any case, with the caveat that it's just a good read!

I read this book in one sitting on the night of my daughter's second birthday. There were so many parts where I had to stop and take a minute because I had had the EXACT same thoughts going through my head during pregnancy, the EXACT same anxiety and stress during childbirth, it was truly uncanny - added to the fact that it takes place in the same Brooklyn neighborhood I experienced pregnancy/parenthood, I felt deeply connected to this story and am setting out to recommend it to all my mom friends. I was a little apprehensive going into this book because of the "motherhood before I was ready" subtitle - I didn't know about reading too much about not wanting a pregnancy...

See Full Review
As someone who doesn't plan to have kids I usually don't like reading about this sort of topic, so I am surprised by how engrossing this was and how much I related to the author. It's frank and has just the right touch of cynicism. Loved it!
4.5 stars.  This short memoir covers the author's pregnancy and the first year of her son's life.  Detailing every feeling, shortcoming and fear, this book examines expectations of that time versus reality.  As a mother of three, I don't think I have ever read a book that just nails the first time experience of pregnancy, child birth and newborn life.  There were so many times in this book that brought be back to those days and my very own insecurities and frustrations.  I highly recommend this book to mothers of all stages.  I received a digital ARC of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was such an enjoyable reading experience. I laughed, I remembered, I nodded along with some of the author's experiences and cringed at others. I suppose this is like the evil (and totally honest) twin to What to Expect When You're Expecting.

O'Connell doesn't waste time with the bullshit. I have no idea if this book will have the same effect on those who haven't had a baby, or men, but it was so great to read a book that gets in to all the funny miserable gory details of pregnancy and early motherhood. The author's style is frank, witty and engaging as she navigates through the self-doubt and insecurities while pregnant, the birth and recovery period, and...

See Full Review
Insights into pregnancy, birth and motherhood from a millennial mother.
Meaghan O'Connell has written a raw real look at motherhood from the moment she discovers she is pregnant a shock to her& her fiancée.She shares it all the pregnancy brining the reader in to the delivery room& the shock of bringing the baby home parenthood in all it's reality .

I should not have loved this book. In fact, I should not have even wanted to read this book. I am a single woman who has distinctly chosen to remain childless, and finds pregnancy to be more horrifying that magical. So this book should have been a solid NO from me. But at the end of last year the book went out to some book bloggers who were posting pics from inside the book on social media and I was intrigued by the small excerpts and O'Connell's writing. So I decided to give it a try but even then, I was surprised by how much I loved it.

All of this is to say that O'Connell's writing is superb and does a great job of expressing the horrors and joys of motherhood. She...