Cover Image: Apart

Apart

Apart is the second book of the Captive of a Commoner series, and I would strongly recommend reading the first book to get acquainted with Alicia & Chase. This book was a rollercoaster ride for me, for I experienced multiple emotions while reading. With the looming threat of a Russian Gangster, the bond between Alicia and Chase is put to the test when he's been called back to Afghanistan for duty. The growing melancholy and sadness that envelops both characters are gut-wrenching. I appreciate the author's take on presenting realistic conflicts and the push and pull effect between protagonists. Alicia and Chase are battling their demons and insecurities, which strains their relationship. The dialogues and narration are well balanced, which adds to the depth of both characters. The conflict and subsequent resolution add a dramatic and domestic thriller allure with gripping action scenes. I couldn't put this book down. A 4 star read.

Thank you to NetGalley and New Rose Press for an ARC. This honest review is left voluntarily.
This is a continuation of a previous book that I should have read before moving on to this one.  I lost interest several times due to the drawn-out nature of the book.  This book should have been combined with the previous one instead of dragging it out into two books.  The character building was limited due to this issue as were the feelings involved.  Complementary copy provided by NetGalley for my honest review and opinion.
I found this book quite pleasing and entertaining to read and would highly recommend it. I won't give away any hints, but I found it quite interesting and quite enjoyed reading it.
I received an arc from NetGalley and this is my honest opinion.
This book will take you on a roller coaster of emotions but sweet Caroline and an HEA is definitely in the ending.
Apart is the second in a series. This book took a while to really hold my attention, The book contains flashbacks of Chase's time in the military. He is now a New York City real estate mogul. He is in a relationship with a top selling fashion designer. Alicia is viciously attacked by a Russian drug lord that is out for blood of anyone that Chase cares for. Chase is called back to the military and sets up former military men to guard Alicia. She struggles with the controls needed to protect her. Chase and Alicia have a lot of issues to work out in their relationship.
SUCH an amazing romance -- draws you in immediately and never lets up. I am still thinking about it even though I finished ages ago!
As other reviewers have mentioned, this is the second book in a series. I recommend reading the books in order, otherwise you miss out on key details that add depth to the story. This second book started out very slow. Towards the middle it started to pick up a bit, and I overall felt it was worthwhile reading by the end. My main frustration was that I had a hard time relating to the main female character due to her flighty, unsure nature and complete lack of confidence.

I received a free advanced copy of this book from NetGalley for my honest review.
The book starts off with a flashback from Chase’s point of view from his time in the military, and the scene describes an attack by terrorists. The chapter focuses on all the wrong details. It doesn’t explain how Chase knew one was a suicide bomber, and then a character yells “IED” and Chase jumps away, but it was never stated where the bomb was or how Chase knew which direction to leap for.

Then the first chapter starts with Alicia, who’s only referred to as Ms. Cesare at first, and there’s no name card for her at the beginning of the chapter. Her boyfriend, Chase, starts ranting at a detective for triggering Alicia who had been sexually assaulted. It’s clunky exposition in long paragraphs that made my eyes skim through it. I had to go back and reread to understand what was going on, but the paragraph length is not pleasing to the eye.

Chapter one ended with a name drop of a character I knew nothing about. I kept asking myself who the characters were as people kept mentioning them. I understand that this book is part two in a series, but more explanation without assumption would be helpful.

The more I read the book, the less interested I became in the story. The chemistry between Alicia and Chase wasn’t established well. All I knew is that he was overly protective of her. Nothing about how she felt about him other than jealousy when his ex was mentioned.

The book failed to capture my interest, and there were too many times where I was confused as to what was happening. Therefore I had to DNF the book, and I’m giving it 1 star.
I received an e arc from netgalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.   I thought Apart was fine. I had a few issues here and there but overall it was just an ok read from me.
A continuation from the last book "Captive of a Commoner" that I'm not all that sure was needed. It felt like a very long extended epilogue that plodded along and appeared at the end to be signed off as completing the series but left some of the same unanswered questions and situations unresolved from the first book. Will there be another book?
Apart is a book that you won't likely forget.  I know that I won't.  It's one of those books you want to read again.  I'll be honest that I had trouble getting into the book, so I read from the middle to end, and then I began at beginning of book and read to the middle.  This helped me to follow the book and fall in love with the characters, although I also developed a distaste for the "bad guys".  This book is a steamy romance, but it also contains suspense as well as featuring characters who are active military who experience deployments.
        The deployments challenge the young newlyweds and create tension for a number of characters in the book.  Chase has to plan for his wife, Alicia's, safety from the dangerous people from his past, and he won't be there for most of the time.
        I rate this book 4 stars, as I did notice a few editing errors which did detract from my enjoyment of the book.   I highly recommend this book to adults.  Disclosure:  There are sex scenes as well as some offensive language.  This book is written for mature readers.
        I received a copy of this book from netgalley and New Rose Press in exchange for my honest review. All opinions expressed are my own. I was not required to write a positive review.
It took me a while to get into the book, and I prefer a book that grabs my attention right away, in some form or another. But there is nothing wrong with a slow burn, for lack of a better term.
I have never been ‘attracted to’ romance or erotica novels, but decided to give them a try. I searched for one that would add to the mix what I like in a book – suspense, crime and action, and all the emotions which are brought by psychological thrillers.

It did take me a while to find that type of book, so when I did, I really wanted to read it. Until after I was done with this novel, I did not realize it was part of a trilogy, and frankly I think that not having read the first one of the series maybe made me miss some of the points I would otherwise see clearer.

I struggled to write a review which would explain why I feel about this book the way I do, and not include slight spoilers, so heads up – SPOILER ALERT!

Alicia grew up around depressed mother, and always in the shadow of her dead at birth twin. Chase’s childhood was also full of challenges and hardship. He is a marine soldier still active in army and brings to Alicia’s life another worry – a Russian gangster who keeps on stalking and threatening not only the main two characters, but also their families and friends.

Per default these two getting together, bring in to the relationship a lot of luggage and past which would be better to left forgotten. Despite the fact that their relationship is blooming and there is plenty of passion between them, the past reminds of itself from time to time and causes clashes between the lovers, which are not insignificant and reach the point of violence at the later stage.

Overall the core of the story is good. Saying that, although the story line and events sequence is catchy, I found the book written in a little bit ‘flat’ manner.
The author shifts easily from one episode to another, leaving a lot unsaid and ignored. As an example to this - while Chase is deployed in Afghanistan, Alicia struggles to cope with worry and loneliness, which pushes her towards cheating. This is almost completely left out from the following chapters until almost the end of the book (as if nothing major happened), when in anger she admits to Chase what she has done, what results in quite violent argument between the two. The violence in seconds turns into hot steaming sex and is forgotten for good. I am just unable to imagine that a whooping resulting in me not being able to sit for some time would just slide as if nothing happened and maybe that is why I cannot fully connect with the story.

The thriller portion involving gangsters and stalkers could have been developed a little bit more in my opinion. It has been captured nicely and the author managed to keep suspense through the book. I never expected what will happen next, and the way the issues were captured, made me paranoid in a way and suspecting everyone around Chase and Alicia to be connected with the gangsters. While I liked this part, I got a little bit disappointed with the ending, which in a way ignored the dangers and left things unfinished.

Being aware that this is book two of three, I expect that more will happen on this front in the next book.

Although I did not LOVE the book, it kept me engaged from the beginning to the end, and curious of what will happen next. Once my curiosity is fed, I think I will stick with psychological thrillers going forward and leave the romance for more romantic people than me  :) however, if you are into romance and erotica novels - this one is definitely for you.
I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley and am voluntarily leaving a review. It took me a while to get into the book as I did not realize that it was the second book of a trilogy. Not having read the first book "Captive of a Commoner" I feel left me at a disadvantage. However, I did enjoy what I could glean of it. There was suspense and super attraction between the main characters Alicia and Chase. Well written and the characters were developed and complex. A good read.
This book is a sequel. I didn't actually know this going in and was thrust into the middle of Chase and Alicia's relationship and their trials as Chase gets redeployed overseas and the trials of having a madmen stalk your family.

The story was good, the writing was great I just couldn't get on board with the main characters self doubts, reckless and stupid behaviour. I just got so frustrated reading her perspective that I nearly gave up on this book.

I might have been rooting for the characters more if I had read the first book and learned to like Chase's overbearing and dominating behaviour.
If you like stories about your boyfriend’s past coming to haunt you and everyone you love, mixed with a husband getting deployed, then this book is for you.

I can’t say I am crazy about this sequel. Compared to the first book, Captive of a Commoner is way better. However, considering the theme for this book where they’re fresh relationship is being put to the test by keeping Chase and Alicia apart it really gives off the vibe of sadness, worry, and learning how to stand strong despite all that’s happening around their lives. The first book was all adventure and excitement while this one kept me on edge by worrying when Dmitri will strike again.

I do love books which give me insights of lives of people with challenges beyond every day problems such as where to find a job or whether your significant other is cheating on you or not or other women hitting on your man. I can’t say much since this is a spoiler free review, but to get a feel of the vibe I’m talking about here I’ll just say this. Alicia and Chase are in a blooming relationship, a lot has happened since the end of book 1 and now Chase is being deployed and the length of is absence cannot be determined.

There’s all this worry, and stress, Alicia is trying to stay afloat by creating new designs and each design marks something in her life. Still written in the single point of view of Alicia, her world being put on a roller coaster ride since being reunited with Chase Reardon.

I can’t say I love this book, there’s just too much of Alicia’s thoughts and flashbacks of her sad past but I can’t say I hate it too. Stuck in the middle I give it a 3 out of 5 stars.
Apart by C. J. Pastore.  It might have taken me awhile to get into the book but once I did I enjoyed the characters and dialogue.  The storyline is erotic with a mix of suspense.  I look forward to reading more by the author.
I dropped this book after reading it a little, becoming bored and then skipping around to try to find a different place to peak my interest. It was too wordy in it's description and wasn't a fast read that I wanted. The story didn't interest me after the beginning
I liked the military part of this story. It was a good romance but I did get confused with all of the characters I though.
Apart is C.J. Pastore's debut novel.   I enjoyed the descriptions of a day in the life of an aspiring fashion designer.
This book was difficult to get into.  The similes and metaphors throughout the first few chapters was annoying and a bit much.  I  think similes are fun,  but when one appears in every other sentence, it ruins the moment.
Once I got into the nitty gritty,  I enjoyed it.   I had a few ideas swirling In my head regarding the villain and some of the not-so- subtle hints.
Overall,  I would recommend this book to anyone that likes a bit of drama but is willing to wade though the fluff.
- enjoy