The Forest Queen

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 07 Aug 2018

I tried to get into this but unfortunately, I found that it was not for me. I thought the writing was bland and characters were boring and it just failed to capture my attention. I am not interested in writing a full review for this title.
The concept of this book is an interesting one; remaking and re adapting tales that we all know is guaranteed to pique the reader's interest, however I felt that the book was far too short to really immerse the reader in any attempt at world-building and this ultimately let the book down. None of the characters were fully developed, even our protagonist Silviana, so unfortunately the book failed to grab my attention.
I grew up on Maid Marion and her Merry Men, so this retelling with Robin Hood as a woman was always going to be up my street. It's a darker retelling than I was expecting, but possibly more realistic that Hollywood often makes out.

The Forest Queen is the story of Robin Hood, if Robin was a young noblewoman. I like the idea of this story and retellings always pique my interest but this just wasn't my favorite. The idea of our main character, Silvie, coming from a noble family with John as her brother was very interesting and I like that she slowly opens her eyes to the privilege she has lived in her whole life and just how horrible life is for pretty much everyone else around her and because of this she immediately decides to make a change and not allow this to happen. I really like this aspect of Silvie, while she may be naive at times about how the world works, when she does notice that something is wrong, she...

See Full Review
DNF at 20%. This was not what I was expecting or wanting unfortunately. Within the first few chapters there are many upsetting animal moments- one has to do with hunting but it didn't make it any less upsetting. And TW: suicide attempt, they meet a character in a very compromising upsetting position which I thought was uncecessarily dark. I just didn't like the tone, it was melancholy and glum and didn't make me want to keep reading to see any adventures. I didn't care for Silvie either and the fact that Robin is called Bird was too much for me.

TW: suicide attempt, animal cruelty, abuse
I absolutely loved The Forest Queen! It felt fresh and original, despite being a re-telling. I loved the character development over the novel. If you are a fan of fantasy with a twist, this is the book for you! Perfect for fans of Marissa Meyer, Once Upon A Time and Disney.

Thanks to the publisher for providing me with an advanced reader's copy.
A wonderful retelling of a genderbent Robin Hood. The Forest Queen is a magically spectacular story.
Not a fan of this book.  I love the Robin Hood story but found this book to be too short to develop the characters fully or expand on the themes presented.
I was excited for this book, I thought a retelling of Robin Hood would be amazing; however, this book was lacking. It was an enjoyable enough read, but as far as caring for the characters and plot, it didn't help matters.  There were too many characters and not enough development.  I wanted to like this book, but really didn't love the book.
Another great retelling, this one is Robin Hood. Only this time Robin is Lady Silviana of Loughsley and rebels against her own brother.
I had a great deal of fun reading this book, none of it was particularly outstanding or groundbreaking but all the same, it was a quick enjoyable YA. I liked the array of characters and would have loved to of had a bit more backstory. I thought the introduction of harsh and serious themes was a great addition and set this book apart from many out at the moment.
A great quick read for any lover of retellings
Promising plot-line- I did enjoy the book, but I don't feel it was really rant-worthy. The biggest area of weakness, I think, was just equity in character development. A lot of characters had their chance in the spotlight, but I would have liked to really feel like there were more that were truly three-dimensional, complex.

To me this plot sounded super promising. I love Robin Hood, and the idea of a retelling with switched gender roles is just incredibly fantastic. The story itself was fun to read, but I dunno I just couldn't love it. I do love the cover, super pretty! I am interested to see what other people think of this book. I haven't check any review yet, but I am wonder if people had the same annoyances that I did.

There are so many characters, but none of them are fully developed. There are four main characters, they are Silvie, Bird, Little Jane, and John but with neither of them, I feel that I really got to know the character. And I love Character driven stories...

It isn't a...

See Full Review
Unfortunately there wasn't anything that hooked me with this novel. The writing style was great and the characters seemed interesting enough, but it never managed to hook me. Once I put it down I forgot all about it.
There really wasn't anything wrong with this book. The only problem I had with it was repeatedly putting it down and restarting it, and never getting past 50 pages. There wasn't anything that hooked me. Which is sad, but it happens with me and Betsy Cornwell. The same thing happened with Mechanica. I was intrigued by the details, some of the plot was cool, but I never wanted to finish it. Maybe it just wasn't for me, but I'm sure others will adore it.
Simple story, really. It goes down as a light, fluffy read, though there was some challenging content implied. It was a bit flat and uninspiring, even for a gender bent retelling. Not a necessary read by any standard.
I LOVE retellings and I really love gender-swap stories. Women so rarely have agency in some of these original stories that The Forest Queen was a breath of fresh air. I also love that Sylvie wasn't instantly skilled at nature survival and that she had doubts. However, I wish there was a bit more development of her relationship with John and why he changed when he went to court, and what his motivations were.
I loved it. The storyline was amazing and the protagonist was strong and someone we can all relate to at that age. The human element balanced with the elf and trying to find a place is something that resonates with most people. Definitely a must read.
I wanted to like this a lot more than i did, unfortunately, it was only a 3 star.
I could not begin this book because of the format. If it had been available on the kindle it may not have expired before I had the chance. Hope to read this in the future as it looks amazing.
I loved this retelling of the classic Robin Hood. Silvie’s story will grab quite a few readers and hold on tight. There is action, adventure, romance and vilianry and Cornwell isn’t afraid to go dark. I loved Silvie’s character and the relationships she created and inspired. She is definitely someone you would want to befriend and that was before she really started helping other people. There are so many wonderful characters that will steal your heart. The audience will love the nods to the tale they knew and applaud for Cornwell’s inventive take. The cover is gorgeous and definitely eye catching. I didn’t want to put this book down. I look forward to seeing it on the shelves in stores!