The Lido

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Jul 2018

Many thanks to Netgalley.com for providing me an advanced digital copy of The Lido by Libby Page in return for my honest review.

I enjoyed The Lido. It had a nice message. I loved 87 year old Rosemary’s love story with her husband George, and their mutual adoration of the public lido, even though at times it was a little too repetitive. There is a quirky cast of characters, and they live in a charming locale. Each has connected with Rosemary, and they join forces to keep the lido from being sold and cemented over to make tennis courts for private, exclusive members. In working toward saving the local, outdoor pool, they forge friendships and become a family.

Parts of the novel were too long, and I would have liked to know more about Kate (what caused her anxiety and when did it start), Rosemary (her time working at the library), and George (and his fruit and vegetable shop). The reader knows the the lido is very special to them, but there must have been so much more. Rosemary’s memories were my favorite part; I wish there were more of their life together. 3 1/2 stars.
Sometimes you just need a feel good book, a book in which the "good guys" or in this case the "good strong women" take on the big bad corporations. You cheer for them, and you worry for them. You hope they win. If they do, wonderful. If they don't, the community they develop during the fight makes it all worthwhile. The Lido by Libby Page is such a book, and it leaves me smiling.

Read my complete review at http://www.memoriesfrombooks.com/2019/03/the-lido.html

Reviewed for NetGalley.
I really, really enjoyed this book and found myself gradually becoming completely immersed in the story.  The main characters are believable and I read with interest as Kate and Rosemary started to develop a bond, whilst starting their campaign.

Growing up in the 1970s and early 80s, my local swimming pool used to be a Lido. This story brought to mind those times and it's sad to say that the one I used to visit closed about 30 years ago.

A fab story and I will look out for more by this author.
Sweet and charming!  I wanted to read The Lido because it was marketed as similar to another book I absolutely loved.  It did not disappoint.  Exactly what I needed!
Thank you to Simon & Schuster and NetGalley for providing me with an electronic copy of The Lido and it should go without saying, my opinions are mine alone and not influenced by their generosity.

What a sweet, easy read. I thoroughly enjoyed this book about friendship, a special meeting place and memories of times gone by.
This was such a cute and heartwarming story. It was well-written for a debut novel and I didn't expect to like it as much as I did, but it was such a pleasant surprise.
Was happy to read this enjoyable book and include it in a long essay I wrote on women and swimming, and about the latest reads that explore that synergy, for Zoomer magazine
Simon & Schuster and NetGalley provided me with an electronic copy of The Lido.  I was under no obligation to review this book and my opinion is freely given.

The Lido is written in two perspectives, one of Rosemary Peterson, an elderly woman who has lost much in her life and does not want the lido (public open air swimming pool) to be the next thing gone; and Kate Matthews, a twenty-something writer charged with reporting about the proposed sale of the property to a private developer.  As the two women become more involved in each other's lives, will the battle to keep the lido take on more meaning for Kate?  Will the publicity gained by the articles be enough to keep the lido in public hands?

I understand the dual perspective format from the standpoint of telling both stories, but I did not like the many swings to Rosemary's past.  I wanted to know the background, but I thought that the author could have been more successful in integrating the past and the present.  Although The Lido was more about Rosemary and Kate than the periphery characters, the author does a good job of anchoring the two women into the town in which they live.  The ending was much stronger than the beginning, as the author took a little too long to get to the point.  Overall, The Lido was a good book, but not as memorable as I was expecting.
A beautiful, heartwarming story about an unlikely friendship. It's the type of story that would be at the last five minutes of a nightly news program, one of those stories that run at the end of the show to make you feel a little bit better about the world. A great, well-written debut by Libby Page.

I received this book from the publisher in exchange for a review.
I heard about this book from a friend and I am so glad I was able to get a copy of it! This was a wonderful story about fighting for what you treasure and gaining confidence in yourself.

I loved the story of Kate and Rosemary and especially the story of Rosemary and her George. I will warn you to have a tissue handy though because I can't imagine anyone could read this and not shed a tear.

Thank you to Netgalley and Orion for a copy of this story.
Such an amazing story of life, love and friendship! I loved the friendship between Kate and Rosemary and that the Lido had been a center of so many great memories. Definitely a warm easy read!
I liked this story ok but didn't love it. It is a sweet story that had elements of Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. The friendship between Kate and Rosemary was very heartwarming.  But this book didn't have the tension, the darker elements that, for me,  adds to the impact of a read like this. Saving the actual Lido (swimming pool) wasn't something I cared about that deeply. For me,  there wasn't enough to distinguish this story from many similar books.

I recommend this book for someone looking for a sweet feel-good story.

3 stars (good) for the genre.
The story that The Lido tells is sweet and endearing. A young, single and lonely girl - Kate, trying to make it on her own in a strange city, finds an unlikely relationship with Rosemary, a women 60 years her senior.  It is heartwarming to read a story of someone young taking interest in someone much older.

Rosemary may be old but she is filled with a wonderful life lived.  She shows Kate that her life too is just as wonderful with so much more to experience in her future.  Rosemary pulls Kate out of her shell and shows her how to fight for things she believes in.

This wasn't a chick lit story filled with the main character trying to find herself while maneuvering through drunk escapades and toxic relationships.  Instead we are presented with a timeless story that hope, love and understanding can come from the most unsuspecting ways.
This was such a relaxing and charming read. I love swimming and particularly outdoors which is what drew me to this book in the first place. I haven't been to a lido in ages and this reminded me how much I miss it and what wonderful places they are, and definitely worth saving! They are like an oasis I'm not surprised that Rosemary wanted to fight so hard for somewhere that was so dear to her. I loved the friendship between Kate and Rosemary and it reminded me of how much we have to learn if only  we'll stop, make time and listen to our elders.
This is a charming read about a lido (swimming pool/rec center) and two women whose lives intersect because of it. Rosemary, an old woman, and Kate, a reporter, meet to discuss the closing of the lido for Kate's story. I loved the setting of Brixton and the characters of Rosemary and Kate: I could see them in my mind's eye as I read. The ladies' friendship was also sweet and I enjoyed this fast and pleasant book.
I loved this book.  It was a very fast read.  Light and heartwarming - perfect combination for a lazy day!!  For a debut novel, I was completely shocked at how well written and put together it was.  I can't wait for more books by Libby.  Even though it was a little predictable at times, it was simply a delight to read!!
I am always drawn to books with characters who are librarians. This book reminds me why. I am also a fan of relationships between older and younger people, because the older imparts wisdom, and the younger keeps the older young. Without delving too deeply into the plot, I feel this book explored the choices a community makes about keeping what's important, making the point that meeting places matter because they hold memories for people and are sure to provide more as long as they exist. I enjoyed this light, feel-good read.
One of my best reads of the year so far. Wasn't what I was expecting at all. It was a gentle tale reminiscent of a bygone age and the characters were so well drawn that I really cared about them and what happened to them. I will admit to crying more than once mainly at Rosemary and Georges back story. I kept thinking about this book even when I wasn't reading it an I think it will stay with me for a while. Beautiful - and even though I'm not keen on swimming I now want to go to a lido. Thank you to Netgalley and to the author for the chance to read this title.
The Lido is the story of a young journalist, an 86 year old woman, and a swimming site in Brixton, London threatened with closure. During this story we meet a swath of residents of the area and learn more about both Kate, who has moved to London for work, and Rosemary, who has lived here for her entire life.

Now that I have finished The Lido, I have found that nothing happened that I hadn’t anticipated early in my reading. During the second half of the book, the impact of interpersonal emotions did feel more real and earned, as the characters slowly revealed themselves to each other. An early problem for me was that Kate, a very prominent character, dominated much of the early chapters but was too closed off, even from herself, to make those chapters feel as real as they needed to be.

Another major issue I have with The Lido is the fact that nothing was a surprise, nothing was “new” either in the story or the way it was told. Every change seemed to follow an old script and was telegraphed well ahead. Yes it is a nice story and there are people to feel for, but there is no edge, no true surprising detail to grab me, the reader, and make me take note. Perhaps I am asking more than this book is purporting to provide, but when I read, I want something that might surprise me, perhaps treat an old subject in a slightly new way. This book simply did not do that for me.

2.5

A copy of this book was provided by the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review.
I found this book to be a delightful read. It is told mostly from the points of view of Kate (a young journalist) and Rosemary (an 86 year old local) who are trying to keep their local lido open.

What I loved about it is that it is a gentle tale, but quite profound as well. There are various people in the community that feature in this story too, to the point where it becomes less about the lido and more about the community of Brixton and its inhabitants. How people who are very different in many ways, somehow become a family.

Rosemary was such a lovely character; feisty and strong, and yet also physically getting more frail. I enjoyed reading all her memories of her younger days, and her time spent with her husband when they were newlyweds.

Kate was an interesting character too and it was really satisfying reading about her personal growth as the book progressed.

All in all, this really is a terrific, multi-layered read with a lot of depth.

Thank you to NetGalley and Orion.