The Lido

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Jul 2018

A feel-good story about a mission to save a community swimming pool. While this story was heart-warming, it was missing some character depth and at times, dragged. Perhaps worth a quick read by the poo this summer.
The Lido is a charming heartwarming story about a community's efforts to save a beloved swimming spot. The local pool is in jeopardy from a corporation that wants to privatize it and create an exclusive club instead. The campaign to save the lido is spearheaded by Rosmary, a fixture at the lido, and sad, pathetic journalist, Kate. Along the way, Kate pulls herself out of her depression by actively engaging in her community. The entire community pulls together to save their beloved landmark, illustrating the power of people. The end is sweet,  it sad.

It’s been years since I’ve gone swimming but after reading The Lido, I am eager to get to a pool and dive right in. The Lido tells the story of an outdoor public pool in Brixton, England and the people who love it. The city council is threatening to close the lido because it is financially unsustainable and as luck would have it, there is an eager buyer — Paradise Living, a property company, that wants to convert it into a members-only tennis court.

The Lido centers around new friends Rosemary (86 years old) and Kate (in her 20s) who band together with the community to save the beloved pool. It is also the story of Kate, a young journalist who struggles with what appears to be a Panic...

See Full Review
Thank you Simon and Schuster Inc. and #NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book before it is published in July.  I truly enjoyed it.  A Heartwarming story about friendship, community, standing up for what is important and self acceptance/realization.  If you enjoyed Britt Marie was Here, or The Storied Life of AJ Fikery, give this a chance, I promise it won't disapoint. This is Libby Page's first book, so I'm hopeful that more will follow.
I don’t like swimming but if anything were to change my mind it would be this book.  Kate is a young journalist who is lost until she is assigned a story about the closure of the local Lido (outdoor swimming pool).  She interviews Rosemary, a local who has been swimming at the Lido for 80+years.  The interview turns out to be the beginning of a unique friendship and they become fierce allies as they seek to save the Lido.

The romantic scenes were a bit stilted but overall didn’t detract from the story.

This is a heartwarming story of friendship, community and overcoming loneliness.  A perfect beach read.
I highly recommend this beautifully written and heartwarming story, focused on Kate and her burgeoning friendship with eighty-six year old Rosemary.  Kate feels alone living in London and working for a small newspaper until she is assigned the story of gentrification and the closing of a local lido, or community pool.  She meets Rosemary, and as their friendship blossoms, the fight against closing the pool becomes a lifeline for them and the tight knit community.  The chapters about Rosemary and her husband, George, are so well written they are almost poetic, describing such a deep love over many years of marriage.  I loved this book, and will remember it long after reading the last page.
Loved this book for the complex character development and the beautiful display of friendship and how it can blossom at any age.
This was a fair, interesting read. Not much new with the plot, younger/older person gets together and each inspire the other and helps them grow. But this was beautiful writing which helps propell will book from a 2 star to a 4 star for me.

I am similar to someone else on Goodreads. This book really reminds me of the song "Bridge Over Troubled Water".

Great writing Ms. Page.

A fun and entertaining read about caring for the places and people that matter and about finding out who your friends really are. A young woman, Kate, moves to just outside the big city to follow her dream of becoming a journalist. She lands a job with a small paper doing personal interest stories. However, she finds it difficult to make friends and never really feels at home in her new town. The local Lido, outside pool is possibly going to be sold. Kate meets Rosemary who has lived in the town all her life and who has wonderful memories of what the Lido has meant to her all these years. Kate and Rosemary become friends and allies as they try to save the Lido. Along the way, Kate...

See Full Review
I enjoyed reading this heartwarming story about the development of a friendship between a young woman overcoming her anxiety and a older, widowed woman while trying to save a neighborhood pool. I did find it very predictable at times, but was still glad that I had read it.
Thank you NetGalley for an ARC. An incredibly sweet read about friendship and community. As a swimmer I could definitely relate to the calm found underwater.
This started off kind of slow, and honestly I had forgotten what it was about. Still, I continued reading, and it was just adorable! Really cute and super emotional - not really something I would typically read, but I really did appreciate the relationships and friendships throughout the story. A cute contemporary read, not really focused too much on romance, more on the concept of fighting for something you believe in, building relationships on the way, and battling the loneliness that comes with new places and new people. An enjoyable, quick read!

There have only been a few books in my life that I could say were perfection but this is one of them. The Lido is a book that will stick with me for a long time. It is my favorite type a book. A book about people, people who together are together, people who are a bit quirky in their own special way, and about community.

There is not one single thing I would change about this book. It was a book that I didn't want to end but didn't want to put down.

Libby Page is an exquisite beautiful writer. Some of my favorite sentences and quotes are as follows:

"...there was a breeze arguing with the trees".

"...before she caught the infection of...

See Full Review
Thankyou yo netgalley for accepting my request.
The lido is a beautifully weitten book.
An easy read but a memorable one.
A lovely story of love and friendship and how we can all come together at difficult times,
How age is just a number and you can meet friends at any time of your life.

When your eyes are glassy and your nose is dripping and your heart is full - you know you just finished a good book.

I honestly don't know what drew me into this book? The drawn cover with cheery blue waters and skies? The description? Or the fact that this book is marketed in the likes of A Man Called Ove by Frederik Backman? Probably all of them combined - and boy am I happy that I picked it up.

Despite picking it up because it was similar to A man Called Ove I was astonished at just how similar the two books actually were.

There was an elderly grieving person, there was an unlikely friendship, infertility, heartwarming romance, a wedding, a gay couple and a strong community...

See Full Review
First of all... Thank you for the opportunity to read this wonderful book.
The Lido is a lovely story.. with relatable characters. The plot was surprisingly unexpected... A new multigenerational friendship to remind me the importance of friendship... This book is sweet and easygoing... I loved the genuine way of the author's writing. .. It made me laugh and cry.. but I ended with a feeling of joy and happiness. I definitely recommend it!

Kate Matthews moves to Brixton to take up a journalist position with a local paper. But life is different to what she imagined it to be. She’s anxious and lonely with only work and microwave dinners featuring in her life. Being asked to write a story on the closing of the local Lido (swimming pool) changes her life, when she meets 87 year old Rosemary, whose life has revolved around the Lido.
This was just a beautiful, gentle story about finding yourself and a place in the community. The characters were very vivid and I could easily imagine every one of them. Set in the present day, the community comes together to fight the closure of the pool but there are chapters interspersed with...

4.5 Stars

"When you're weary, feeling small
When tears are in your eyes, I'll dry them all (all)
I'm on your side, oh, when times get rough
And friends just can't be found
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down
Like a bridge over troubled water
I will lay me down"
-- Bridge Over Troubled Water, Simon & Garfunkel, Songwriters: Paul Simon

At eighty-six years old, Rosemary has lived in the Brixton neighborhood of London her whole life, a bustling neighborhood that brings to mind a scene of Notting Hill with a small, quaint bookstore, amid a colourful array of street vendors selling everything from flowers to coffee. The shop owners and...

See Full Review

I was a skeptic. Comparing a debut to Fredrik Backman--well, that's some lofty praise, and I was kind of prepared to hate it based on that decision alone. (Nothing against S&S's marketing team, really.) But this completely and utterly won me over, and Libby Page should throw more books at me soon because I'll totally read them.

Rosemary! Rosemary. If you thought it impossible to love someone as much as you loved Britt-Marie, think again. Her love story was sweet, sentimental, and sappy as you'd expect, but it wasn't overbearing and I didn't roll my eyes, not even once. Kate was similarly sweet, and felt very well developed--a lot of people I know are...

See Full Review

This was a fantastic, sweet little story about a community coming together to save their pool.

I loved the book right away because the author so perfectly captured the feelings of a swimmer - any level of swimmer. The gritty touch of the cement beneath your feet, the solitary world below the water, the loud and joyous world above the water. If you have ever swam in the rain, if you have ever jumped into the water when it's 36F in the air outside, if you've ever swam for an hour just processing a life problem through your mind, you will understand this book. The author captures perfectly what happens when you commit time to that solitary underwater world.

I also loved how the...