Don’t Rush Me

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Nora, abused in the foster system, lets no one get close to her. To touch her. Human, but not human. Nora has visions from touching objects and persons' skin. An encounter with a creepy neighbor leads her to the magical underworld where her gift can be used to find the missing paranormals. Mystery. Gritty, dark, with paranormal creatures. I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book from Netgalley.

It's one of those book, you can't put down until you are finished. I read it in one sitting. The writing style, the characters, supernaturals, plot twists... I love everything about it. It's the ultimate urban fantasy book. :)

Nora grew up in foster system, suffering form abuse from man, time and time again. She has trouble connecting with people and forming relationships because of it. There something special about Nora, she can read anyone mind, just by touch and get feelings of premonition.

One day, going home form work, she gets that feeling, that something bad will happen. Walking home, she is stopped by her neighbour, who can't take no for an answer. By touching...

DNF at 17 %

Spoilers!

I can’t read a book where the main male character forces himself on a main female character. He mentally raped her, even when she was begging him to stop. Big No.
This is the start, I hope, of a long series of books following the apparently human Nora Roberts. She has the decidedly non-human ability to read minds of those that she touches, and replay events associated with places and things. She knows that there is a lot out there but has managed to stay under the radar. Whilst trying to avoid a sticky situation, she ends up enmeshed in the supernatural world, and suprisingly may not want that to change. Good emotional depth, enticing back story and many unanswered questions. I don't always like books that are written by 2 authors in tandem but this is a definite exception. Really good, can't wait for more.
Fun, fast read. Kept me interested. I did feel like if this person was so attractive and had been fighting off men all her life she might have gotten a little better at defending herself by that point.. like maybe carry some pepper spray? I liked the world-building. I liked the side characters. I just wanted her to be less a victim waiting to happen, and it made the ending kind of frustrating...why didn't she do that all along? Why can she suddenly do that?

I have some really mixed feelings about this book. On the one hand the world was really interesting, the storyline had plenty of action, mystery, and some potential for romance, and I liked the friends and family that was built. But. And for me this was a pretty big stumbling block. The constant references and flashbacks to her repeated rapes and sexual assaults was over the top, and quite frankly, a little bizarre. And the victim blaming of herself! What is that! She says she is too alluring and men just can't help themselves around her, and she wishes she could control it. Excuse me? No, just no. This book almost seemed to have split personalities, because one minute our heroine...

See Full Review
I enjoyed this book, it was entertaining and had a great main character in Nora. I'm looking forward to the next book in the series as this book felt more like an introduction to a set of characters. The adventure was interesting but there was a lot left unexplained and definitely needs another book to continue the Nora story.

It's been a while since I've discovered a new Urban Fantasy series. The Nora Jacobs series seems to have everything I love about UF: a mystery plot, a heroine who can take care of herself, and a wide variety of supernaturals. May calls them Underworlders - vampires, werewolves, trolls, fae, and a few whose natures haven't been revealed yet. It even has a supernatural law enforcement agency, the Federal Underworld Agency, and I love those. It's old school and I really enjoyed it.

But here's the thing that bugged me: there are just so many triggers! I'm not particularly sensitive to references to rape and abuse but if you are, this is not the book for you. Nora...