The Ruin

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Mar 2018

After a stellar twenty-five year career, culminating in the position of the detective sergeant leading the Special Detective Unit’s anti-terrorist section in Dublin, Cormac Reilly moves back to Galway with his partner, Emma, who has received a highly prestigious research grant. His new role is a step down. He expected to have to prove himself before he was accepted at Galway, but after four weeks of being sidelined to work alone on cold cases Cormac is beginning to feel frustrated.

Aisling, the second protagonist, is an interesting contrast to Cormac. She is a focused, 25 year old doctor in the process of applying for a position in a training program as a paediatric surgeon. She is...

See Full Review
The Ruin is a gripping and well written novel. I could not put this book down, and resented any disturbance that took me away from it! The characters are well rounded and believable and the story line is enthralling. I am certainly looking forward to the next book in this series. Highly recommended. Thanks to Harper Collins Australia and NetGalley for the ARC.

This is police detective story set in Galway, Ireland. While I have not been to Ireland yet, the author’s portrayal was exactly what I would expect - cold, wet and sometimes windy with warm retreats in front of fires and heaters.
It is an enthralling read that links a 1993 cold case with a sudden death in 2013. There is a lot of different threads in this story which centres around a very interesting police detective, Cormac Reilly who is methodical and thorough in his methods even when others are being chaotic around him.
It was easy to read and the story flowed, moving quickly so that it held my interest. A range of different twists added even more intrigue to the story line and there...

See Full Review

Some of my favourite police procedurals have been set in Ireland, and this one is definitely in that category! What makes my heart sing is that it is only the start of a (hopefully long) series, and that the author is already working on a sequel.

What could be more intriguing than an old cold case with links to a current crime, especially when it tugs on your heartstrings, with the main characters being young children? I love novels that take you on a journey of discovery, one clue at a time, only ever knowing as much as the detective that leads the case – it makes the story so much more interesting than those where you already know the answers whilst the police are still completely in the...