Super Cats

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

SUPER CATS reveals everything you wanted to know about felines and more ... in an utterly charming package. A purrfect gift for members of your cat-erie, yes? How can you resist a book that features Lil Bub AND Grumpy Cat, details the whys of cat worship, the ways your furry friends can make you healthier, and the many cat-tributions throughout the ages. Five Paws!

Happy as catnip to receive an ARC from NetGalley and Annick Press. Opinions are mine.

#SuperCats #NetGalley

Princess Fuzzypants here: Let us get one thing purrfectly clear before I write this review. All cats are super; some just happen to be more super than others.
This is a fun book that tells the tales of some pawsome kitties. It goes back to the time, way, way back, when we cats decided to train you humans. Let me tell you, it was not an easy job at first. We were responsible for keeping your food safe and we were really good at our jobs. Plus we were very soft and furry and cute. You humans were doomed from the start.
The Egyptians got it right when they worshipped us. The fools in the Middle Ages who allowed superstition to cloud judgement paid a terrible price when they killed...

See Full Review
Super Cats is a delightfully informative nonfiction title that will be a welcome addition to any "636.8" section!

This is a delightful middle grades non-fiction book about cats that starts in early history and ends with today. It tells how cats have been viewed throughout time and how they became domesticated. I learned a lot about the history and one surprising fact was that cats were considered evil so were disposed of in the middle ages. As cats were gone, the rat population increased and that was when the plague was on the rise. Once cats were reintroduced, the plague became almost non-existent. Cats were worshiped by the Egyptians and there were actually cat gods and statues. Japan believes in the lucky cat and loves them. They have many statues of waving cats. The reader will learn about the...

See Full Review

This is a delightful book that starts in early history on through today. It depicts how cats have been viewed throughout time. One of the biggest things is when people realized how useful cats were at reducing the rat population and the diseases they carried, they began to understand how wonderful these creatures are.

Cats were worshiped by the Egyptians and Japan loves them and makes statues to them. They were very helpful in World War I and II as they fought along with the soldiers killing rats and detecting poison gas. Cats have always been welcome aboard ships to reduce vermin and keep the sailors company. There are even cat cafes where people can go to pet cats for they are known...

See Full Review
My 8 year old is a huge fan of cat books and nonfiction and this colorful fact filled book made him very happy.

I'm definitely a cat lover...so when I saw the absolutely cute cover of this book, I knew I had to read it! Super Cats: True Stories of Felines that Made History is informative, colorful, and super fun to read!

Chock full of full-color photographs, this book not only tells stories of famous cats, but also gives a lot of history about cats, famous cat owners, brave cats and cats with unusual talents. Each page is colorful and has photographs of just about every sort of cat there is!

This book would be perfect for cat lovers of all ages. Even children who are too little to care about the stories will enjoy the pictures. The stories are varied, ranging from the evolution of cats to...

See Full Review

Do you like cats? Even if you don't, you may change your mind about liking cats after reading this! There are facts that I did not know about cats. I did know that cats were worship in ancient Egypt but didn't know that it was illegal to kill cats. There was at that inspired its owner to understanding electricity. The owner was Nicola Telsa and his cat's name was Macak. Did you know that cats worked as spies in the 1960's? I didn't. This factual book is full of facts about cats throughout history. There are several photographs of cats included sidelines, a timeline and much more. The author's writing is great for kids to read as she makes it...

See Full Review
As a cat lover and cat parent, I can't resist books about cats! this book was so worth the read! I have read some of the stories before, but had no idea Tesla owned one, Or that a cat actually wrote a short piano piece! Some anecdotes are likely to have been heard of before- Egyptians treated cats like gods, used cats as pest control (who hasn't?!), cats as bad luck or evil, etc... but over all nice collection of true tales! May maneki-neko look on the author fondly!

This is a fun little book for kids about all things cat. There are many stories that are cute and other books have been written about many of the cats in this book, but this summarizes things perfectly for kids so they can actually enjoy the stories. The book explains words that would be hard for kids to understand and it explains the history of domestic cats and why they came to be. There were a lot of little things that I learned from this even though I did know quite a bit about the animal to begin with. There were only a couple of things that bothered me, both of them mildly. The first is that some of the stories were actually fiction. I understand wanting to tell stories about...

See Full Review
Great facts and great illustrations about great cats!

Hey, my mother bread siamese when she was a girl. There were always cats in our house. At one point we had five of them. So, having said all that, I thought I knew everything there was to k now about cats, and though I would be reading the same old stuff that all cat books have.

I was quite wrong.

This is a fantastic, middle-grade reference books, which tells the story of cats, through antidotes, for each stage in their history. And it isn't the stories you have heard before. One very sad story was of a cat that was accused of hunting the Stephen's Wren into extinction.

And thrown in are a lot of cat facts, or cat observations.

Another story is of cats that have helped at...

See Full Review
Being somewhat of a "crazy cat lady" who enjoys all things cat related, the cover of this book reeled me right in from the start.  A flying cat is definitely eye catching!  Cover aside, this book gives lots of info about historically significant cats that made a name for themselves in interesting ways. In my opinion, however, this book needs a little more pizzazz in order to be more interesting to young readers. Perhaps more pictures and more relatable stories that involve kids and cats would  pique their interest. Overall, I did enjoy reading  Super Cats but not as much as I thought I might.
I found this book disappointing.  My students love cats and I was hoping to find a non-fiction book with stories about cats.  This one had stories about cats that were fictionalized accounts (with the cats as the storyteller) of their lives interspersed with text boxes with facts about cats.  The fictionalized accounts seemed incomplete in their tellings about the lives of cats in different historical periods.