Shadow of the Fox

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Nov 2018

Very richly woven story that is easy to jump into and loose an evening too. I highly enjoyed reading this story and have already purchased the next installment. I loved the vivid description and the deep Japanese connection that the author tried to expand upon. I found some of the terminology very cliche as only really few phrases were actually used at any point in time throughout the book. Nevertheless they added to the story and did not seem forced. There is definitely an internal struggle of good vs evil and a small growing romance between the characters that is genuine and stems from respect and connection between them. There was no instant romance at any point but the characters were thrown in together and adjusted to one another and begun to trust. Highly recommended read!
Being very familiar with Kagawa's past work, I was delighted that she would be writing a book featuring Japanese mythology, being Japanese myself and growing up on stories of yokai.

I found the worldbuilding to be fun and accessible and I adored seeing the Japanese culture embedded into the archetypes of the story, with themes of loyalty and respect enhancing the magical feeling. I'm excited to continue this series and follow the charming and mischevious Yumeko on her journey along with Tatsumi.
I enjoyed this book. I gave it 3 stars, not because it was bad or anything. I just personally didn't connect to the story. It was wonderfully written, which I expected no less! I tend to love Julie Kagawa's writing style. It was just the story I couldn't get into. Still a fairly good book, and if you are interested at all in it I would definitely pick it up.
This story jumps right in with action, but it is seemingly disconnected from the plot. I enjoyed how the book progressed with the protagonist taking on a ragtag group of allies to help her on the quest to keep safe her portion of the scroll and how the author weaves each of the stories together. Intrigue, deception, and honor flavor this start of what, I think, will be a very compelling trilogy.
This book had a beautiful setting band I enjoyed reading a YA novel set within Japanese mythology. It did feel a bit too much like a YA romance with a lot of fan service. The writing also felt a little simple (kind of like it was written by a high school student not the veteran that Kagawa is herself). I think this will appeal to younger readers just looking for a romance but I think the naive damsel in distress trope feels a little played out.
YES YES YES! If you're looking for the perfect YA fantasy full of Japanese folklore, magical creatures, a fantastic ragtag team, action packed adventure and likable characters, this book is for you!

Julie Kagawa is a master of creating worlds and characters that'll suck you right in and leave you wanting for more!
I was pleasantly surprised at how much I loved this book! The Japanese Aesthetic was natural and lacking the "wee boo:" undertones of other books in the genre with similar themes.  I loved that the author seemed well versed in the legends and tactics of the culture. I loved the MC and her awesome Kitsune powers! This is now a favorite of mine and I would highly recommend it to anyone who loves action packed plots. I cannot wait to complete the second book!!!!!
I absolutely LOVED this book. It took me a while to get past the first 50-60 pages, but I think that was more because of my own slump than the actual quality of the story. There were a lot of elements that reminded of the anime One Piece, which made it all the more enjoyable. Essentially, we follow Yumeko as she goes on a grand adventure to help protect the world from the demons that are arriving to make the most of an opportunity that only comes around once every thousand years. Along the way, she collects a crew of misfits that she wins over with her honest kindness, and they tackle ghosts, kitsune, and other strange foe—not to mention the demon who threatens to take over her bodyguard's soul at any moment. And that ending?! What a beautiful setup for what looks to be a whirlwind of a series, and I am 100% here for it.

All around, Julie Kagawa knows what she's doing. The world-building was fluid and excellent, and being someone extremely unfamiliar with Japanese culture and mythology, Kagawa made it easy to fall right in with the story. Plus, these characters are easy to laugh at and even easier to love. Well-written and well-crafted, I'd recommend "Shadow of the Fox" to anyone who's interested in magical creatures, samurai pride, and drawn-out quests.
At first I wasn't sure I could get into but then as I listened I started to realize "oh it's a quest' and from there was able to compartmentalize the story and keep up with it as it paced out. Kagawa does a great job using those side quests to tell the big story overall and I really enjoyed it!
Julie Kagawa is one of those authors I have been wanting to try for awhile now, and I am grateful to those who voted for it in my May TBR List Poll. Her home destroyed and the monks who raised her no more, Yumeko is on a quest to deliver a portion of a sacred scroll to a far off temple, whose exact whereabouts is unknown. She seeks help from Kage Tatsumi, a samurai of the Shadow Clan, whose strength and ability to slay demons will be invaluable to her along her journey. The only catch? He is on a mission to retrieve the very scroll she has, and she knows instinctively she cannot let it fall into his hands. She also hides another secret from the quiet and deadly Tatsumi. That she is half human, half kitsune.

Yumeko should seem too sweet for her own good, but, honestly, I fell for her character instantly. A bit mischievous and yet so kindhearted. She has a naivety about her, and yet she is extremely resourceful and has good instincts. I also really came to like Kage Tatsumi. He is trained to suppress his emotions and lives by a very strict code—part of which is probably for good reason. However, he finds it impossible not to want to protect Yumeko for more reasons than just the one that will lead him to the scroll (not realizing she actually has it). Along their journey, the two pick up other unexpected company. The villains in this novel made me shiver, particularly the main one. So much darkness and evil.

I thoroughly enjoyed my time reading The Shadow of the Fox. It has been awhile since I read a more traditional fantasy novel, and I especially loved that this one combined Japanese folklore and other Japanese elements into it. I hate that it ended with a cliffhanger, but I was not at all surprised. These types of books often do. I ordered the sequel right away. Then I’ll just have to wait forever for the third and final book in the trilogy to come out. I cannot wait to spend more time with Yumeko! We all need someone like her in our lives.
I originally received this book as a free download from Netgalley months ago but I never got around to reading it. I know, I know…but I have so many things I want to read. I'm a mood reader and I go where the wind takes me.

It finally took me here this week. This book was really good. I'm so glad that I pick it up in time for the second book to come out.

Shadow of the Fox follows Yumeko as she attempts to save the last piece of the Dragon scroll from evil forces conspiring against her. Along her journey he acquires three traveling companions prior to reaching her destination.

I have to say, the author got me. Wrapping up the Wizard of Oz in a Japanese folklore package? Genius. I didn't even make the connection until Yumeko ended up with her third companion on her journey. The story is dropping in the typical fantasy elements. Monsters and demons and magic; OH MY!

Yumeko's optimism and logic stand out in stark contrast to literally everything around her. While I won't go so far as to call her a Mary Sure, she does (at times) seem to be able to just talk her way out of any situation she comes across…and everyone just agrees with her. It's a bit odd, but in keeping with the plot it tends to make sense. The battles are epic and the details described are nothing short of vibrant. It's a world I'd like to spend a lot more time in and luckily for me, there are more books on the way (as of this writing, book two was just released)

The only thing that I wished I had known at the initial reading of this book…was what some of the Japanese words and titles meant. There IS a Glossary in the back of the book, but I didn't know that since I didn't want to ruin anything for myself. That would have been helpful for the first go around, but it'll definitely come in handy for the second. This book made me want to know more about Japanese culture and folklore in general and is a great addition to my fantasy novel collection.
Julie Kagawa NEVER disappoints. This title is no exception and if I have the budget I want at least two copies on the shelf. Highly recommend.
TYPICAL YA PLOT AND CHARACTERS, SPRINKLED WITH JAPANESE MYTHOLOGY
actual rating: 2.5

You could shorten this book to half its length and probably wouldn't notice the difference. I mean, honestly, you could probably already guess how this book would go just by reading the synopsis... and majority of your guess would probably be right.

🐺 Shadow of the Fox is told from two perspectives--from an innocent, childlike half-fox-half-human hybrid, and from a brooding, murderous samurai. Neither really has any quality that you haven't seen in YA before.Although they're not entirely unlikable, they're a far cry from becoming your next favorite MCs.

🐺 Plot... What plot!? You know how with anime, 70% of the 200 episodes are actually just mini-stories that add zero substance to the actual story? Shadow of the Fox is the same. There were definitely a lot of interesting scenes, but the story would be the same if they were taken out.

🐺 The vibe is great. It feels anime-like, which is I think what the author was going for. I enjoyed learning more about Japanese mythology, although not a lot was memorable since everything felt very filler-y.

If you're looking for a great Julie Kagawa read, I'd direct you to The Immortal Rules, or even The Iron King. This just wasn't Kagawa's best work, and while the Japanese mythology involved was brilliant and fascinating, there isn't enough plot or character development to push it forward. I probably won't read the sequel unless there are some pretty rave reviews for it.
This book was just what I was hoping it would be an epic Japanese folklore story. I enjoyed the world, SO, much! This culture is what made this story more; the temple life, the samurai lifestyle and the royales, mixed with magic and friendship!

Yumeko was raided by monks. Yumeko is half kitsune her yokai nature; is playful and strong. She's grown up in a temple and this is her first time leave. The joy Yumeko finds in seeing everything rubbed off on me.  While Tatsumi is a mysterious samurai who believes in doing what his clan has told him and not working with or getting close to anyone. I found their relationship very fun, strong and grows at a steady speed. As much as I enjoyed the two main lead characters, I fell madly for the side characters, they moved the plot along in many different ways. I also like how each side character entered in there own ways.

I also love how the magic system works. I'm not going to say anything about it because of spoilers. But I love the idea of the Scroll of a Thousand Prayers and how it drives people.

The writing for the scenes that have demon armies is beautifully written. The action dances right of the page. Just like the rest of the book, it's just a vivid world that you feel like you've stepped right into a whole new world.

With that said, part of the ending surprised me while the other part didn't. I enjoyed this and picked up the second book within the following week and can't wait to get my hands on the next book. It's writing with passion and action!
I don't know much about Japanese mythology, but tried to follow along as best I could. Yumeko is only half human, the other half having magical abilities attributed to a kitsune. There are a lot of well done action scenes that keep the pace moving quickly and it's also apparent there will be more to come.
An exotic adventure for all ages…
Shadow of the Fox is the first book in a new series by Julie Kagawa.    Set in the land of  Iwagoto, reminiscent of ancient medieval Japan, Julie builds a stunning world filled with exotic creatures, traditional attire, and long-held customs.  The unlikely alliance of Kumeko, a half-human/half-Kitsune (magical fox), and Kage Tatsumi, an elite samurai of the Shadow Clan and wielder of the infamous demon slayer sword, sends them on a quest involving the Scroll of a Thousand Prayers; with one trying to protect it while the other is trying to find it.  In the wrong hands the power of the scroll to summon the great Kami Dragon would be devastating.  Numerous adventures along the way reveal the the magnitude of evil that is also trying to obtain the missing pieces of the scroll.  Little do they realize that their own faults and weaknesses may be all that saves the scroll and protects them and the country.

Shadow of the Fox is an excellent teen book that adults will greatly enjoy.  The plot and descriptions are fascinating with the violence being graphic enough without being gruesome.  The historical details make the story extremely realistic and transport you to another time and another place.

Julie has also created amazing characters, both Kumeko and Tatsumi, as well as a rich supporting cast.  They are personable with wonderful quirks that bring humor and believability to the story.  It is such an easy reading story in the sense that you are so quickly swept up into the action and adventure that you flow effortlessly from page to page.  Of course, as with any good book in a new series, you are mildly frustrated when you are left hanging at the end.  But, then again if you weren’t you wouldn’t be anxiously waiting for the next book!
I loved Julie Kagawa’s BLOOD OF EDEN series so I was excited to start another series by her. Unfortunately, I had trouble getting into the SHADOW OF THE FOX so this is a DNF for me (for now at least, I may try again in the future).
I tried reading this one and just never got into it. I will admit I didn't get very far and I haven't tried it in a while. But I don't think I will go back to it.
The premise is fantastic but this book is just not my cup of tea. I've started reading the hardcover, e-book, and tried listeing to the audiobook. I know it's well written and other readers have loved this book. but the writing just doesn't grab me and the characters aren't my favorite. A dnf for me, cries, because I hate not finishing books.
Kagawa is an incredibly talented storyteller, and this is a wonderful example of her skill. A historical fantasy based in Japanese folklore, Kagawa’s world building is solid and detailed. This is an Own Voices work, and uses a more Japanese storytelling pace than some Westerners may be used to, with slower building at some points, and seemingly-repetitive events build complex characters and add subtle details to the plot. Not all of the characters are human, and a glossary in the back is an assist to those who are not familiar with the non-human (and some human) types. (Although a reasonable familiarity with anime can also provide a lot of background.) Kagawa’s first installment of this eventual trilogy will be especially appealing to those who love road-trip style movies and stories, and those who see the point to be the journey more than the destination. The story is quite complex, and needs a bit more brain than a light read, and can be harder to follow since there are two points of view and the switches are not clearly marked. Overall though, it is a quite enjoyable read, and I’m looking forward to the next installment.