Bring Me Back

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 03 Jul 2018

Thank you NetGalley for this Advanced eGalley of Bring Me Back by B.A. Paris.

Finn and Layla are on holiday when she suddenly, and inexplicably, goes missing. Finn tries desperately to find her, but isn't sure how, or why, she's managed to disappear. Though he's eventually cleared of any foul play, the pall surrounding her disappearance never truly leaves him.

A dozen years later, Finn has settled into a new life--with Layla's sister, Ellen--and has moved on from the sensationalism that once engulfed him. However, now that he's finally moved on, signs that Layla could be alive begin to appear.

The idea that she may very well be alive and well sets Finn, and...

See Full Review
This is not my usual genre. It is a rather dark read. There are times the twists and turns are actually quite annoying. Usually, I find I unravel plots early in a book, not so here. I was consistently wrong each time, even when I was close, I wasn't.  The psychology of the characters eludes me entirely, adding to the disquiet. This book is a thriller of the first order.

I loved B.A. Paris's other books so I was very excited to receive this advanced copy of Bring Me Back to read. In this novel, Finn and his girlfriend Layla are on vacation in France when she suddenly disappears at a rest stop. Nothing is heard of her for the next ten years, and in the meantime, Finn strikes up a relationship with Layla's sister, Ellen. Suddenly, things from Finn's past start creeping back--someone reports seeing Layla after all this time, and dolls with secret meaning known only to Layla and him appear on his doorstep. The twists and turns in this plot were enough to keep me hooked, and I finished in only a few hours! This book definitely did not have an...

See Full Review
Thank you Netgalley and St. Martin's Press for an E-ARC of this book. There are so many twists and I could not make any predictions. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys mysteries aND thrillers. #Netgalley #BringMeBack

Bring Me Back is an edge-of-your-seat psychological thriller that begins with the mysterious disappearance of a woman, Layla, at a restroom stop in France. Finn, her boyfriend, is frantic when he discovers her gone. After months of searching, he gives up and returns home. Fast forward twelve years and Finn is engaged to marry Ellen, Layla's sister, and yet Layla is never far from his mind. After Finn and Ellen's engagement announcement appears in a local paper, an omen in the form of a tiny Russian doll appears on the wall in front of their house. The relevance and implications are monumental as it's a link to Ellen's childhood. Only she, Layla, and Finn know the...

See Full Review

Bring Me Back was a fast read and very gripping--I definitely could not put the book down. The plot itself was extremely suspenseful; however, the good ends here. It is because of the readability that I actually bumped my 2.5 star review up to 3 stars; otherwise, I would have given it 2.

Layla goes missing and her boyfriend, Finn, is suspected for a short while, but then is let off the hook. Finn explains that it is because of a little Russian Doll that he is ultimately proven innocent. 12 years have passed since Layla's disappearance and now Finn is engaged to her old sister "Ellen." As their wedding approaches, suddenly, little Russian Dolls start appearing and it's...

See Full Review
Wow, just wow. I don't know what else to say without any spoilers. B.A. Paris does it again. She has become one of my favorite authors! Thank you to the publisher for sending me this review copy.
Thank you Net Galley for the book! The story was well written and kept me intrigued. I did not love the ending and thought it could have been done better. Overall I finished the book in a day so it was written very well, flowed easily and kept me interested. The main character wasn't very lovable as he came off as a bit creepy (in my opinion), and the couple seemed to have co-dependence issues as they always did everything together.
I very much enjoyed this book. The unreliable narrator is an intriguing, multi-dimensional character whose narrative carried me through this book with barely a pause. I enjoyed the use of Crete as a location, with its myth and legend beautifully drawn in parallel to the story events. Altogether, a good, well structured yarn. However, I find the title unremarkable, and don't think it bears any relation to the story; had I not found it on NetGalley I would not pick this title out in a bookshop.
I actually thought this book was a romance and part of it was. And but it was also a suspenseful mystery that will keep you guessing until the end. Its a book that you need to pay attention to the back stories that the author includes because it helps you understand everything that happens. I can honestly say I never saw the ending was coming and that was a great thing. This is a brilliant story line. Its a must read for every reader type.
I have enjoyed other books by this author. This one started out great., but by the halfway point I found myself rushing through it.  The writing felt repetitive and the characters became so hard to take.  I was skipping pages just to get through it.  I figured out what was going on well before the end.
A fun, easy, and thrilling read with lots of highs and lows. I was pretty confused throughout 90% of it, trying to figure out what was going on, even though I had a theory (that ended up being correct!!) and was trying to piece it together.

I admit that although I really did not care for Finn throughout the entire book, I did truly feel sorry for him in the end.
Wow. The first word out of my mouth after I finished reading Bring Me Back. Finn, the main narrator of this story, keeps changing his theory of what happened to his girlfriend Layla the night she disappeared twelve years before. Each theory seems plausible and then Layla appears,  telling her account, only building the suspense to an ending I never saw coming.  A must read thriller for this summer. The first book I have read by B.A. Paris, but definitely not the last.
4.5/5 stars

Wow!

I enjoyed both of the other books by BA Paris but I have to say this one is my favorite so far.

I was on the edge of my seat the whole time I was reading this book. I didn't see the end coming at all. 😊

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with the opportunity to read and review this book.

Bring Me Back is well-written and an engaging and fast read. I liked the format of the three different parts, with different times and narrators. I also liked how the author “predicted” the reader’s suspicions along the way and addressed them. The mystery kept me guessing (I will never look at highway rest stops or Russian nesting dolls the same way, that’s for sure!), but the reveal left a few details unanswered. I was left with some questions, and not in a good way.

I read The Breakdown (by the same author) last year, and loved it. I found it hard at first not to compare the two, although very...

See Full Review
An interesting thriller. Although I found myself rushing through it. Perhaps the writing was too repetitive? I was skipping paragraphs to get to the end and believe if it had been a little shorter it would have had much more impact.

Twelve years ago Finn’s girlfriend, Layla disappeared from a rest stop on their way home from vacation. In his statement to police, he said that Layla was in the car when he stopped to use the restroom. When he got back she was nowhere to be found. His phone wasn’t getting a signal so he drove to the nearest gas station to ask for help.

“It was the truth. But not quite the whole truth”

Finn was arrested on suspicion of Layla’s murder. However, her body hadn’t turned up and there was insufficient evidence to prove Finn did anything wrong, so he was cleared of any wrongdoing. Layla was never seen again.

Twelve years later, Finn has moved on and is even engaged. Finn and his fiancé are...

See Full Review
Oh, this had so much promise. It really was a fun, pulpy, mind candy read for the first half or so. You don't know who to trust, you don't know what happened 10 years ago, those Russian dolls are creepy as all get-out, there's a nice balance with the alternating storylines with little bits of information doled out like bread crumbs... And then you start to figure out what loaf those crumbs are leading to. And it is just a little too pulpy. I have to give it 3 stars because it was so so good in the beginning. I thought Paris was going to be one of my new favorites. Still, I've read good things about her other books so I might still give her another try.
The ending of Behind Closed Doors impressed me enough to keep reading B.A. Paris's books. Unfortunately, both The Breakdown and this book have been less than stellar.

Bring Me Back is incredibly repetitive. Russian dolls were mentioned on what felt like every.single.page. The ending/payoff is so ridiculous, I couldn't even pretend to enjoy it.

Unfortunately, I would not recommend this book. There are too many thrillers/mysteries out there that are significantly better than this one. I still love Behind Closed Doors and would encourage readers to read that book and stop there.
This is the first book I have read by this particular author and I have to say I was floored by her writing.  The book started off with a bang and didn't let up until the last page.  Even have the final twist was revealed you wanted more.  I definitely will be reading more of this author.