Who Moved My Goat Cheese?

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 09 Mar 2018

I love Lynn Cahoon and I love foodie books so I was really excited to start this series.  I liked reading about Angie setting up her new restaurant and all the complications that happen - especially when dealing with small vendors. The murder occurs pretty near the beginning and the plot really got moving.  I enjoyed the community Cahoon created and Angie especially is a character I'm looking forward to seeing again.  While I did enjoy this read it wasn't my favorite book from Cahoon.  I'm not sure if this series just doesn't click with me as much as her South Cove series or if this book just suffered a bit from first book setup issues.  This aside, I'm definitely looking forward to continuing the series.
This was a standard cozy mystery type of book. Not bad. Interesting to peak behind the farm to table concept for restaurants.
This is the first book in the Farm-to-Fork Mystery series.  Angie Turner moves to her grandmother's farm in Idaho and opens a restaurant where all the food comes from the farm itself.  It's a great concept and she and her partner Felicia are excited and ready to go.  Unfortunately, just as they're about to open, their goat cheese vendor is found murdered.  Angie wants to solve the crime so she can open her restaurant and get on with her life.

I thought this book was charming.  The setting was great and well-described, and I loved the characters,  I will definitely read the next book in the series.

Thanks to Lyrical Underground and NetGalley for the ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Angie and Felicia lost their restaurant in San Francisco  (rent issues) so they move back to Angie's home state of Idaho and start a new restaurant where are only using farm fresh ingredients.  When their goat cheese supplier turns up dead, Angie feels she needs to solve this murder especially when she starts getting threats.

The characters were fun, the setting humorous and the mystery well-crafted.
WHO MOVED MY GOAT CHEESE? is a fabulous first in a new series by Lynn Cahoon. Great characters, and a wonderful plot, this is a cozy you won't want to miss!
This was a fun and breezy debut mystery. Angie and her friend Felicia are readying their new farm to fork restaurant, The County Seat, when a local goat cheese provider is killed. I never thought that much like the cow v. sheep debate of the Old West, there would be dairy cow versus goat milk cheese feelings in modern day Idaho. The setting sounds beautiful and I like Angie's growing menagerie! I am looking forward to reading more in this series.
I really enjoy Ms. Cahoon's Tourist Trap other series and I was excited to see that she had a new one.  Angie and Felicia are likable co-owners of the newest restaurant.  I enjoyed learning more about sourcing local ingrediants as well as what is involved in opening a new dining spot.

The mystery was well-written and the story flowed well.  I look forward to reading more in this series!
I read this story specifically, because I was traveling to Idaho and wanted to read a cozy set in or around Boise. Who Moved My Goat Cheese fit the bill perfectly. This is a well-written and plotted cozy that introduces a new sleuth to the genre. Nothing earth shattering or different about the premise, but again, cozies are nice in part because they have some predictability.

So, this story features the owner of a farm-to-table restaurant, interesting characters including a Basque chef (I discovered there is a large Basque community in Boise, so I was glad to see this character was included and look forward to learning more about his culture).  If you're a fan of culinary cozies, I think this is one more to add to your reading pile.
Congratulations!  Your review for WHO MOVED MY GOAT CHEESE?,
captioned below, has been published.  Visit
 to view your
published review.
One of my absolute favorite authors and this new series did not disappoint. I don't know how she keeps coming up with all of these new ideas but I truly enjoy benefiting from it! I would highly recommend this series.
Friends Angie Turner and Felicia Williams have decided to start their second joint venture in the sedate little town of River Vista where Angie grew up under her grandmother’s influence. Planning a farm-to-fork restaurant, the freshest commodity they discover is the murder of the local goat farm curmudgeon.

Big kudos to Lynn Cahoon, author of a new Farm-to-Fork Mysteries series beginning with Who Moved My Goat Cheese? A clean book, and one in which I was pleased to not encounter any bad language. Although this is a rule of cozies, it is one that is increasingly broken.

There were some good red herrings and twists and turns, with just the right amount of what the reader may also want... enough clues to feel the author’s villain makes sense, a hint of romance, and maybe even a possible love triangle to come in future books?

Cahoon includes some special touches, one that I consider a “good” cozy requirement and some others that just brought a grin to my face. The “requirement”? The cozy sleuth needs to spend as much time at her business working as she does sleuthing. Check. One special touch? The mention of Nona’s junk drawer. The second special touch is the goat being tied up outside at one point. I imagine I am not the only one whose memory of John Thompson piano lessons immediately kicks into high gear and starts hearing in my head, “Bill Gordon’s Goat...”

A fun cozy and a great start to a new series. I am grateful to NetGalley and the publisher for a complimentary copy. A positive review was not required. All opinions are solely my responsibility.
The first book in the Farm to Fork Mystery series. Angie Turner is a chef who has come home to where her grandma raised her. She's inherited her grandma's farm and she decided to open a restaurant near it. Angie wants to use local farmer's produce and cheeses. One happens to be a local goat cheese producer. The old man who owns the goats and makes the cheese ends up dead. Angie suspects murder and tries to prove it. She is also interested in the man the helps run the local farmer's market. Not as a suspect but a love interest. In the end, Angie figures out who done it and gets her farm to fork restaurant open too.
I enjoyed this book. I'm a big fan of cozy mysteries that have a food theme. And I love goats! I also love cheese so this book was right up my alley. This book was a great start to hopefully a fun series.
Thank you for allowing me to receive a copy for review via NetGalley.

Who Moved My Goat Cheese is the first book in a new cozy mystery series by Lynn Cahoon.

There is no need to rehash the synopsis so I will not bother with it.

Farm to Fork restaurants are all the rage (and yay for that! Who doesn't love a fresh meal?) and provides the location of heart for the book.  It also made my mouth drool!

Each character is great- I really found Angie to be likable BUT the animals? They're amazing! I loved them! Great addition to add a little character to a mystery!

The mystery was done well- building up to the finale of "who did it" with our heroes.

Well done and I can't wait to read more from this series!
This is the first book in a new series by Lynn Cahoon. For a first in a series, it took some time to introduce the characters and the setting which is why I did not rate this book higher. Angie Turner moves to Idaho after her grandmother has died. She is living on her farm and along with her business partner, Felicia, they plan to open a restaurant. Because of the farm setting they want the County Seat to be a farm-to-fork restaurant.  Unfortunately, things are not going according to plan. The manager of the local farmer's market does not want his market vendors to get involved with these city slickers. Angie meets with a local curmudgeon, Gerald Moss, who has a goat dairy and makes cheese. He agrees to sell his cheese to the restaurant once he realizes who she is. He was friends with her grandmother. The others finally come around as well. Angie is feeling good about the opening of her restaurant until, Gerald Moss is found dead and it is determined that he was murdered. As Angie was one of the last people to see him alive and she is new in town, she thinks she needs to help solve this crime so her restaurant opens normally and this man she met gets justice.

I like the main characters of Angie, Felicia and Ian. There are some good secondary characters as well such as her neighbours and even the Sheriff. There are plenty of cute animals (Precious the goat, Dom the St. Bernard puppy and even a chicken) to round out the characters. The mystery moves at a nice steady pace. The Farm-to-Table theme doesn't overpower the mystery, but adds to the nice, cozy feel of the story. There were plenty of suspects and a couple twists to keep the suspense going. I am glad Angie is young because between her new restaurant and the sleuthing as well as taking care of her mini zoo, she is one busy person. There is a budding romance that I hope fleshes out in the next book. Anyone who has read any of Lynn Cahoon's other series knows that her writing moves the story along swiftly with a nice plot. I did figure out who the murderer was because he was the shadiest of characters but I did not know why he did it.  I will read the next to see where this series goes. A good introduction to a new series for cozy mystery lovers.
Who Moved My Goat Cheese? by Lynn Cahoon is the first story in A Farm-to-Fork Mystery series.  Angie Turner has moved to River Vista, Idaho to live on the farm she inherited from her grandmother (Nona).  She has partnered with her best friend, Felicia Williams to open The County Seat which has a farm-to-table concept.  It is only three weeks until they open, and the pair are still working to line up all their local vendors.  One of the vendors they would like to work with is Gerald Moss of Moss Farm who sells goat cheese.  The one caveat is the crusty Mr. Moss who only sells his products to people he likes.  Fortunately for Angie, Mr. Moss and his goat Precious take to Angie right off.  He talks to her about his farm, his cheese cave and a secret that he will enlighten her on in the future.  The next morning Angie is told that Mr. Moss is dead.  Angie soon discovers that not many people cared for Mr. Moss or are upset at his passing.  This distresses Angie especially since Mr. Moss knew her Nona, and it sets her on the path to solving his murder.  When Angie goes to investigate the scene of the crime, she comes across Precious and ends up with a new farm resident.  Angie fits in her sleuthing in between setting up the restaurant, taking care of Precious and Dom (her St. Bernard pup), purchasing supplies for the restaurant, and visits from her neighbor, Mrs. Potter.  Who disliked Mr. Moss enough to kill him?  Angie is determined to find out in Who Moved My Goat Cheese?

Who Moved My Goat Cheese?  is a good start to A Farm-to-Fork Mystery series.  I liked the authors conversational writing style and the story had a steady pace.  It made reading Who Moved Goat Cheese? a pleasure.  The story has good characters, but I wished the author had given readers more of Angie’s backstory.  I hope we learn more about Angie and Felicia in the next story.  I loved Dom, Angie’s St. Bernard puppy.  He reminds me of my dog, Doozy (his name tells you about his character).  Dom was a delightful addition to the story as was Precious, the goat. Both were quirky, entertaining and added levity to the story.  I like the theme of farm-to-table and it was nicely incorporated into the mystery.   The mystery had several suspects and there was good misdirection.  I was able to identify the killer early in the story, but it took longer to find out why this person killed Mr. Moss.  The mystery had some intriguing elements (I would say more but I do not want to spoil it for you).  I would like to have a little more action in the next book in the series.  The life lesson about not being able to change the past and not to dwell on it is a good addition to the book.  It is one many people struggle with daily (myself included).  I am giving Who Moved My Goat Cheese? 4 out of 5 stars.  I will be reading Killer Green Tomatoes when it comes out.   Who Moved My Goat Cheese? is a feel-good cozy mystery that readers of Lynn Cahoon and cozy mysteries will enjoy.
This is a great book with a wonderful story and well developed characters. The story flowed very well and was very enjoyable. This book will keep you reading long into the night and you will not want to put this book down until you finish. This was such a great read and full of surprises. I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader’s copy of this book. The free book held no determination on my personal review.
Angie Turner has returned to River Vista, Idaho to live on the farm that she inherited from her grandmother. She's partnered with Felicia Williams her best friend, to open a new restaurant The County Seat which is a farm-to-table concept. It's only three weeks until they open, and the pair is still working on lining up all of their local vendors. One of the vendors they'd like to work with is the owner of Moss Farms, Gerald Moss who sells goat cheese. The one stipulation is that Mr. Moss  only sells his products to people he likes. Fortunately Mr. Moss and his baby goat Precious take to Angie right away. He tells her about his farm, his cheese, and a secret that he'll tell her about in the future. The next morning Angie's informed that Mr. Moss has been murdered. Angie soon learns that not to many people liked Mr. Moss or sad about his having died. This upsets Angie since Mr. Moss knew her grandmother, this sets her on a path to solve his murder. While walking her dog Dom on a woodland trail Angie finds Precious. She ends up taking Precious home with her when she can't return her to Moss Farm. Angie fits in her sleuthing in while setting up the restaurant, taking care of the animals, purchasing supplies for the restaurant, and visits from her neighbor Mrs. Potter.

This book has a steady pace and a very nice mystery that the author has weaved through the whole story, with her many twists and turns. The story is well written which helps give you a clear picture of the town, farm,  restaurant, and makes the characters very lifelike and likeable.

I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and Kensington Publishers for my honest review and I also won a copy of this book from a Goodreads giveaway.
A promise debut that left me wanting more. The characters of Angie and Felicia were charming and likable. The thing that impressed me about Angie was she wasn't portrayed as a nosy busybody who needed to solve the crime in order to one up the police. She really wanted justice for the old man who meant so much to her Nona. I loved learning the behind the scenes workings of a farm to table industry. The possibility of a romance between Ian and Angie will keep me reading future books in the series as well. Definitely recommended reading for cozy fans.
Pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this first book in the Farm to fork series. Angie Turner and her best friend have relocated to Idaho to open a new restaurant in the town where her grandmother lived. As they line up suppliers, staff the restaurant and decide on menus, Angie becomes involved in the death of a goat farmer. While unravelling the mystery of his death, Angie adopts a baby goat to join her family of a St.  Bernard pup and older chicken. My only quibble would be identity of the killer, as there really any wasn't  other viable suspect. But totally enjoyable. I will be Reading more In this Series.
WHO MOVED MY GOAT CHEESE? by Lynn Cahoon is the first book in the brand new Farm-to-Fork Mystery series and one not to be missed! The premise is based on the farm-to-fork restaurant, The County Seat, that protagonist Angie Turner is opening with her best friend in rural Idaho. I enjoyed reading about the issues Angie faces in making sure her restaurant procures local produce and food and what it takes to open an eatery. I would love to tag along with her, visiting the farmers’ market and various farms! The theme of being an outsider after being away for many years and finding your place in the community is also a part of the story as Angie settles into her deceased grandmother’s farm house. She also has to find a way to win over the townspeople who express their opposition to her new restaurant, since many don’t want changes coming to their small village. Angie’s sidekicks, a St. Bernard puppy, a baby goat, and a hen, make for some entertaining and heartwarming reading. The reader is able to see Angie’s personality as she interacts with the animals in her care and made me want to know more about her.

When the goat dairy farmer, Old Man Moss, is found murdered shortly after Angie visits him to procure cheese for her restaurant, she feels a responsibility to find justice for him. I’ll have to admit I was saddened that the elderly, secretive man was the victim… he was a strong character that I thought would be a good sounding board for Angie in future books. Unfortunately it’s not always the mean person who gets killed in our cozy mysteries and the author has set the series up with many more memorable characters. The mystery itself was intriguing although the suspect pool wasn’t large. The suspenseful ending wrapped up the plot and subplots while setting the stage for the next book, which I’m eagerly waiting for!

Reading about all the dishes Angie creates for her restaurant will have you drooling! Ms. Cahoon shares her family recipe for Potato Sausage Soup with Egg Dumplings at the back of the book. I enjoyed that she shares insight into her family as she describes the recipe.