Just Like February

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 27 Mar 2018

Beautifully written and engrossing.  Definitely recommend.
This was a DNF for me.  The chapters were incredibly long and it appeared that this story was going nowhere.

<i> 'It was the first Sunday in September 1974, and we were all so happy, and never never in my wildest dreams could I have imagined that ten years and eight months later my parents would separate, and never never in my darkest dreams could I imagine I would one day be driving along the parkway, windows open to a cruel breeze that would take me from the edge of harmony to a cold, flat reality. "Jake is gone," I hear myself say. Jake is gone.' </i>

<i> Just Like February </i> follows five year old Rachel as her parents (her mother a pacifist social worker, her father a Vietnam veteran) are finally married, through the dramas of young girlhood...

See Full Review

I like to read different genres from time to time and this fell into that category for me.I guess the simple description of this book is that it is a coming of age tale, no family is perfect and that makes them all the more interesting .The inclusion of a beloved and charismatic gay uncle adds to the flavour., I don't like giving much away but it is documented already that he has Aids and dies and those issues are explored I don't think I am giving anything away by saying that, this was a sweet but realistic look at an awful time in our history when the Aids crisis first became known about.But this is not just a sad book it is also an uplifting and inspiring book and a great...

See Full Review
Beautifully written.  Covering the years of early 70's through the eyes of a young woman, Rachael Cohen.  Rachael adores her gay uncle, Jake, who falls victim to AIDS.  An off kilter family, as one might label today as "dysfunctional.  Her father is a Vietnam veteran and her  mother a true flower child.  Ruling is the very opinionated Grandmother.  A poignant story about love and tears during the late 60's and 70's.  The author, Deborah Batterman has created a book to be remembered.  Publication date is April 10, 2018.