Love and Ruin

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Jun 2018

I didn't know anything about Martha Gellhorn before I read this interesting historical fiction book my McClain. Unfortunately, the 'ruin' part hurtles at you for most of the book, Hemingway has a very strong sense of character and is battling his own demons while Gellhorn tries to remain her own woman.  It spans a fairly short time, from the Spanish Civil War to Omaha Beach.
Really enjoyed this! I liked that Martha Gellhorn was her own person and refused to let Ernest “clip her wings” and make her stay with him. While it was hard to read about some of her experiences during wartime, it still added to the appeal of the book. You could sense Martha’s passion for her work and her sheer determination to not stay in Ernest’s shadow.

I have enjoyed reading several other Paula McLain books (The Paris Wife & Circling the Sun), so I thought I would give this a try.. As in Ms. McLain's other books, I really felt I was able to understand what made the main characters "tick." Martha Gelhorn was a journalist who felt driven to tell the story of people's lives during war conflicts. Her relationship with Ernest Hemingway began during the Spanish Civil War. What worked in war, did not work so well in peace. While Ernest was able to write one of his best known novels while at home in Cuba, Martha felt compelled to leave Cuba when WWII broke out. I thought the author did an exceptional job creating a...

Wonderful book!
Paula McLain gives an accurate historical perspective and makes the people come alive as you read.
Martha Gelhorn was a truly remarkable person - a world traveling war correspondent for 60 years, with a gift for seeing the personal aspect of how war affects the everyday life of average people. She knew Eleanor Roosevelt, who had a great influence on her.
Gelhorn was a hard drinking, strong woman, who was more than a match for Ernest Hemingway, as his third wife and a prolific writer.
McLain's book inspired me to order a copy of Gelhorn's novel "Liane". I also watched the HBO movie, "Hemingway & Gelhorn" after reading "Love...

See Full Review
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for an eARC of this book.

Another hit for me. Maybe not quite as good as CIRCLING THE SUN but close enough to receive 5 stars from me. This is a fictionalized account of the relationship of Martha Gellhorn and Ernest Hemingway. She was his third wife whom he treated as badly as he had the first two. She, however, did not allow Hemingway to totally sidetrack her own life and career. She was a strong woman who fearlessly pursued her career as a war correspondent.

This is a well written, lyrical book that I could read forever. It feels like her other books in its construct but that's not bothering me yet.
Nice to learn about the third wife of Hemingway. Thanks for the review copy. I enjoyed both this one and The Paris Wife. Would love to see Hemingway’s Cuban house.
I was pleased to be able to read Paula McClain’s Love and Ruin about Hemingway’s third wife, Martha Gelhorn and Ernest Hemingway. I had a love/hate relationship with this book. When reading about Martha’s adventures as a correspondent, I was in awe of her courage to get “the story” behind enemy lines during a time when journalists were men. It was difficult to read about the relationship between Martha and Ernest. At times boring, and I found myself wanting the writer to “get on with it.”  It is definitely a good read when focused on Martha’s journalist adventures.

I really struggled with rating this one. I did love it and I loved that it has some aspects of Historical Fiction that revolves around wars I haven't read anything about (The Spanish Civil War). It also detailed a lot of Cuba when Spainards were moving here (basically exiled) and before we were banned from coming due to Communism and Castro in the JFK era. I however wish that it detailed the wars more. I zipped through the chapters that centered around Ernest and Martha's experiences there. I slowed down a bit when it was revolving more around their relationship or issues with them not revolving war times. I am a big lover of historical fiction and not so much of a romance or...

See Full Review

Martha Gellhorn, a struggling writer in her late 20s, and Ernest Hemingway find love amidst war in the Spanish Civil War both are tested by their literary success....and though their story is complete fiction....you will find this tale entirely believable and will even wish that it were true. Ms. McLain brings the people and conflict and beauty of Spain to life through Martha's eyes and imagines a love story that makes complete sense with Hemingway's history and love of adventure. As Martha tries to forge her own literary path, she is forced to decide between her love for Hemingway, already a bright star and burning brighter....and the career she also loves. Martha's decision...

See Full Review
Paula McClain did an excellent job, I loved this book! I high recommend this to everyone, the era, the characters, it was excellent!
I liked Paula McLain's first book and looked forward to hearing more about Hemingway through this book.  The story didn't hold my interest as well as "The Paris Wife" as I felt somewhat distant from Martha Gelhorn as she was portrayed.  At times, the narrative felt like a report of events.  I think that McLain captured the jealousy and competition between Hemingway and Gelhorn that eventually caused their relationship to end.  I also found the sections about Cuba and Gelhorn's role in creating Hemingway's home there interesting.  I just wish that I had been able to connect with Gelhorn on an emotional level.

Martha Gellhorn is an independent, ambitious, adventurous young woman, who, on a family trip to Key West, meets the incredibly famous and charismatic Ernest Hemingway. He treats her family to a tour of his island and captivates Martha, an aspiring author herself. Hemingway convinces her to become a foreign correspondent covering the Spanish revolution. And he convinces her against her better judgement, to become his mistress. Their romance and inevitable divorce is told in first person by both Martha and Ernest. This is an interesting look into the lives of this famous couple and a great jumping off place that inspires me to learn more about the characters and history of these two famous...

See Full Review

Paula McLain has done it again with another beautiful novel on one of Ernest Hemingway's wives. I was immediately engrossed in Martha Gellhorn's live. I admired her ambition and desire to be in dangerous situations where she felt the world was changing, and she needed to write home to America about it. You felt the intensity of the Spanish Civil War. I could almost hear the shells whizzing by. Ernest Hemingway is always made out to be this powerful character who is brave, intelligent and talented. I think he found as close to his equal as he was going to get when he met Martha Gellhorn, and as their love affair started in Spain. McLain does a fantastic job of making the reader...

Love and Ruin
 It was doomed from the start, with all the classic signs along the way.  Love and Ruin by Paula McLain is the fictionalized account of dashing, successful older writer, Ernest Hemingway, and younger, budding journalist and writer Martha Gellhorn. McLain has researched their tumultuous years together to weave an intimate account of the relationship, its love and ruin.

Martha Gellhorn
Martha, or Marty, leads a life of rebellion and pursuit of a nebulous “something" when she first encounters Hemingway. She is determined to be a writer, and fights the traditional pigeonhole of female story assignments. With some professional successes, she is on the way up, but not...

See Full Review
Adored the journeys that this fast-paced narrative took me on.  An honest, not sympathetic portrayal of either Gelhorn or Hemingway.  I couldn't put it down, and although the ending was a foregone conclusion, it still felt mournful.  Now I'd like to read Gelhorn's works.  I plan to see what's in print.

Many people have romanticized the life of Ernest Hemingway, admiring his great works but missing his many human flaws, including, initially, the woman who would become his third wife, Marty. Through her eyes are exposed the darker side of Hemingway as well as the tender side. He is a justice fighter, reporting alongside his young wife, a kind father, a generous animal lover, but, at times, he can become a depressed, angry man who struggles to find purpose and inspiration for his next novel. Marty too is a writer who wants to pour her life experiences and emotions into her characters, but her novels aren’t met with the same success as her husband’s. So she becomes a female war correspondent...

See Full Review
I had absolutely no clue about Martha Gellhorn, her achievements or her fascinating life.

I love to read about the women pioneers who paved the way for others and this one did not disappoint at all!

What a sad time she had always being compared with Hemingway (as if there were any connection other than their marriage).

His stealing of her Collier's job was horrendous, abhorrent and just plain atrocious!

I loved reading this book and learning more about these people. I love the series of the wives of Hemingway by this author.

Thanks to Random House Ballantine and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review.

This is my first Paula McLain book. I didn't connect with the narrator until almost halfway through the novel. It didn't feel like the period it was set in at first, either, but once the action got going, it read quite a bit better. The war sections were my favourite. As with other fictional novels about real people, this novel raised questions for me about how much of it was speculation extrapolated from and based on what we know factually about the person and how much was entirely the author's imagination of the personality. Martha Gellhorn was a fascinating person and for anyone who is unfamiliar with her, this book is a great starting point for launching an interest into...

See Full Review

Love and Ruin is a perfect title for a book about Ernest Hemingway and his lover and wife Martha Gellhorn. Theirs was an incredible love story until Gellhorn, a well recognized writer and war correspondent hit her stride and became a recognized success. No writercould compete with the demigod, Ernest Hemingway, and only a few writers were ever compared to him. To be a writer, an author, a correspondent in the heyday of Hemingway was to be delegated to perpetual second place, an eternal also ran. Every man wanted to be him and every woman wanted to have him, yet he ruined those writers whose lives touched his, like F. Scott Fitzgerald and to an even larger degree, Martha Gellhorn. Gellhorn...

See Full Review
I enjoyed reading this book.  It was interested to see author's take on  the affair between Ernest and Martha.  I like the way the author captures both the strong independent side of Martha while also exposing her vulnerability with Ernest.  I also appreciated the historical context presented with very illustrative descriptions of living in a war torn country during WWII.