Love and Ruin

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Jun 2018

I typically love Paula's books but this one just didn't do it for me. I found the story really slow to start which made it really hard for me to get into. And it felt like Martha was this meek thing with none of the gumption that I had learned of.
This is a good historical fiction read about Hemingway and his third wife. I was not as enamored with this book as I was with The Paris Wife. I received a copy from NetGalley and this is my honest review.
Love and Ruin is my first read by Paula McLain.  I really wanted to like this book. I just could not get into this book at all.  I do like historical fiction and I know nothing about Hemingway, but I found this book very dull. I only read 20% of the book before just giving up. I just didn't care about Gellhorn or Hemingway's story-line or the Spanish Civil War. Special thanks to Netgalley and Ballantine Books for the advanced copy to read in exchange for my honest opinion.

#LoveAndRuin #NetGalley
The author of THE PARIS WIFE takes on the story of Martha Gellhorn, a war correspondent and Hemingway's third wife. Being married to a man larger than life while reporting in war-torn countries proves to be an impossible situation. My sympathies lay with Gellhorn, a woman who wanted to have her career while sharing her life with Hemingway, but he wouldn't or couldn't deal with the arrangement. I enjoyed reading the book but not as much as I loved THE PARIS WIFE.

(posted on Goodreads and Amazon)
This was another wonderfully researched and written story. This author seems to get better and better. I couldn't put it down
What a book!, what a story!! The stormy relationship between Hemingway and Gellhorn is relentless.  I admire her so much. She was such a strong woman, traveling the world, alone, as a war correspondent, She certainly put up with plenty in that relationship, and the fact that he said to her in the Epilogue, I’m going to marry her...meaning another woman, was just too too much! Paula McLain did remarkable research into this novel. I wonder at it! A well worth it read, completely fascinating, at times very difficult to read about WWII. Thank you to Netgalley and Ballantine books for the perusal for an honest review.
Historical fiction about an intriguing character like Ernest Hemmingway...you have my interest piqued. What a character he was and what a good job McLain did in showing us more possible sides to him and his life. HIs words added to the historical situations made this an interesting read, a read that made me want to know more! That is a sign of a good historical fiction novel!  Highly recommend.
Oh my, Paula McLain had just depicted an even better, more gripping angle in Ernest Hemingway's irresistible and destructive magnetic force of a life! This novel is about a courageous, passionate and talented Martha Gellhorn, which was a beautiful and significant war journalist and writer. Her talents and energy was a great source of attraction for Hemingway. This is a well told story of their love and complexities. I highly recommend it. Thank you NetGalley, publisher and author for the reader's copy. All opinions are my own.
Love and Ruin was a good read by Paula McLain. In 1937 Martha went to Madrid to find out about the Spanish Civil War. Martha finds herself falling in love with Ernest Hemingway. I loved reading about how they fell in love and the result of said love.
This is a great continuation into Ernest Hemingway's life.  It is the story of his third wife and their love story.  Fascinating read and must read for anyone who loves Hemingway or wants more insight into his life.
2.5 Stars

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for supplying me this ARC in exchange for a honest review.

This book has high reviews, and I am in the minority on this one.  I so wanted to enjoy this book.  After a month of on again off again reading, I barely finished.  For me, this book was extremely slow, picked up with high hopes, and let me down again.  I truly wanted to like Martha, who ended up being Ernest Hemingway’s third wife.  I have read other books by this author and loved them – just not this one.
This is a favorite author as she writes with such masterful talent that her stories captivate the reader. This is a fascinating story of Ernest Hemingway's third wife.. She was a women who exceeded him in career accomplishments and was a woman before her time.. I loved reading of her successes and her independent spirit. I am glad this is a author who writes of strong women and does not underscore their accomplishments in the least.
Martha Gellhorn was a respected  person for her time. She was a war correspondent for 60 years, and an author in her own right, but in the times they lived women were not considered little more then property and her work was not valued over her husbands.

The reader is swept along as  Martha travels as a correspondent to  the Spanish Civil War, and the events leading up to WWII. She was very driven, independent, and adventurous, but also deeply compassionate and very drawn to the untold stories of the suffering of  people. Her first-person narration  is what makes this book so riveting, She was the only woman to land at Normandy on D-Day, and was among the first journalists to report from the Dachau concentration camp. She is a fascinating subject of history and I thank the author for this historical account of her fascinating life. This is a book i highly recommend.
Thank you for the ARC which does not influence my personal opinion.
Love and Ruin by Paula McLain tells us the story of Ernest Hemingway and his marriages to, war journalist Martha Gellhorn, his third wife. This book was beautifully written and captivating. I enjoyed the storyline and how Martha wouldn't let her marriage deny her the life she desired. This book is sad and also inspiring. It tells the story of Ernest Hemingway and his marriage that I hadn't known about before. I liked that it is tells how Martha wouldn't let her career take a backseat to that of her husbands.

I would like to thank Netgalley and the publisher for providing me with a review copy of the book. All opinions expressed are my own.
This author is such a good writer, Immersing you into the story from the beginning.
This story is a about the tumultuous life and love between Ernest Hemingway and Martha Gellhorn, who became his third wife and it was a romance that challenged them both.
When Martha and her family went down to Key West they met Hemingway in a bar and they became fast friends, he showed them around the keys and introduced them to his family, she was fascinated by him and they had a common bond of writing, he became something of a mentor.
He went to Spain to be a correspondent during the Spanish Civil war and Martha who wanting to be a reporter as well, found a way to go with credentials from Collier Magazine. Here they finally let their passion start, although Hemingway was still married.
They ended up with their main residence in Cuba, where Ernest had already been living part time to write. They bought a little farm and made it theirs, and here the two writers were able to be creative in their own spaces. Both became restless from time to time and would go off on their own to follow a story. Gellhorn loved being a war correspondent and had a gift of finding the human interest story in all of the horror around her.
It was a story that had me hooked from the start, the ups and downs of there relationship was fascinating to follow, each strong headed and at times not willing to compromise. I loved the family aspect of it, when Hemingway's sons would visit them, and the close relationship they all had.
There are a lot of wonderful characters in this book to read about.
I look forward to her next book.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Random House Publishing group – Ballantine for the ARC of this book.
Love and Ruin by Paula McLain is a historical fiction book that focuses on on Ernest Hemingway’s third wife, Martha Gellhorn. Martha was a respected and celebrated person with many accomplishments. She was a war correspondent for 60 years, and an author in her own right, but the times were such that Ernest Hemingway often overshadowed her.

The best parts of the book are Martha's travels as a correspondent, along with the descriptions of the Spanish Civil War, and the events leading up to WWII. She was very driven, independent, and adventurous, but was also empathetic and drawn to the untold stories of the suffering of ordinary people. She was at her best and most alive when she was at the front lines in the midst of the action, and her first-person narration was riveting. Among many other accomplishments she was the only woman to land at Normandy on D-Day, and was among the first journalists to report from the Dachau concentration camp.

Love and Ruin was the perfect title for this book. My one complaint is it got a little angsty at times when talking about their relationship and it began to wear thin. But it still gets all the stars for highlighting Martha's career and accomplishments.

I give this book 4/5 stars

Thank you to Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine and Ballantine Books via NetGalley for the opportunity to review this wonderful book.
While none of Paula McLain's books will equal Circling the Sun for me, this was an enlightening and well-written story about a woman we should all know about, but few do. Martha Gellhorn was feisty, courageous, strong-willed, and determined, in both her personal and professional lives. Ms. McClain’s vivid imagery really gives you a sense of the horrors that Martha faced while covering a war, as well as the beauty of the home she made with Hemingway. I loved finding out about this remarkable woman, and I applaud her gumption. I highly recommend this to those who love historical fiction that will make you want to know more! Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for my review copy. This is my honest opinion.
Thank you to NetGalley and Random House/Ballentine Books for a free review copy of this book!

4 stars! Paul McLain again captures the essence of Hemingway's love life in Love and Ruin, much like she did in The Paris Wife.  McLain most effectively depicts the persona and internal struggle of the enigmatic Martha Gellhorn, showcasing her tenacity to make a name for herself and the effects of her drive on her marriage to Ernest Hemingway.  Heartbreaking, but excellent read!
This novel tracks the relationship of Hemmingway to his third wife, the famed war journalist Martha Gellhorn.

Ms McLain takes us along from their initial meeting while Martha is on family vacation in Key West following the death of her father, to the Spanish Civil War where Hemmingway has encouraged her to follow him as her mentor and wastes no time making her his lover.  Their life together in the lushness of Cuba, to the vastness wilderness of Wyoming.  This relationship is a tumultuous journey of passion, love, and personal and professional jealous between two childish, selfish, volatile people which could only end exactly as it does.

Ms McLain is a beautiful writer of great talent.  I only wish she could find more likeable characters to bring to life.
Roxy Klepperich's review Jun 16, 2018  ·  edit
really liked it

I received this book through Netgalley. I knew nothing of Martha Gellhorn and Ernest Hemingway’s relationship. What a fascinating woman. Love and Ruin is the perfect title for their relationship. Great read that was fast moving, but let you get to "know" them. Highly recommend.
I read The Paris Wife earlier this year for a book club and really enjoyed it, so when I found out the same author was writing another book about another one of Hemingway's four wives I knew I had to read it. In addition to learning about Martha Gelhorn's life and her relationship with Ernest Hemingway in Love and Ruin, I love that the reader also learns so much about history and the way of life at that time. Marty Gelhorn is a young writer and journalist when she walks into a bar in Key West with her mom and brother. The other patron at the bar is Hemingway and the rest is history.

I love, love, love this book. It is definitely a slower read for me than most other books. I feel like reading it is like an afternoon down a lazy river and the end of it finishes with low-level whitewater rapids. It feels as real as can be and makes me feel that McLain did the best job when researching for this book. Neither book paints Hemingway in a favorable light but it does feel really honest. I'd recommend this book to anyone interested in Hemingway or lady adventurers, because she goes on some wild rides.