Cover Image: Shunned

Shunned

I love when a memoir reads like a novel, and Curtis's story is absolutely that.  She perfectly captures the fragility and evolving nature of our relationships with family, religion, and everything surrounding the two.
An intriguing and positive memoir. Well written and interesting. Offers an insight into Jehova's Witnesses I never knew, and provides invaluable support to some of the things I did.
Beautifully written book that is relatable to many, as we have all experienced the emotions described in this book.
Enjoyed reading about the main character's journey navigating her departure from her faith and finding herself in the aftermath.
I love reading memoirs, and I truly enjoyed the beginning of this one, but toward the middle I just got so bored. I felt like I was being shoveled religion down my throat and it made me stop reading. I understand the meaning of this book, but all in all it wasn’t for me.
I found this book to be a page turner.  The author's early devotion to her religion is equaled to her desire for a new beginning.  I can feel her torn soul, her new found freedom at war with the sure loss of her family, and the choices she was forced to make.  It was an interesting insight into the strict world of the Jehovah's Witness religion, and the mix of fear of Armageddon and hope for the "New System" that keeps entire families in the fold.  Great read, right until the end!
I’ve always been interested in learning about different religions, so when I saw this memoir I did not hesitate in wanting to read it.

This book broke my heart.  As someone who is extremely close to her family, I found myself crying through all the heartbreaks Linda had to endure after being shunned.

What I loved most about her story is that she was willing to sacrifice everything she knew to find her Truth.

Thank you to NetGalley, Author and Publisher for providing me with a free copy of this book.
This book was fantastic!!!😍 It was beautifully written and powerful! As someone who lost themselves and was hurt because of being kicked out of my church, I could relate in some ways to this book. I loved and appreciated the honesty this book had to offer and I highly recommend this book to others!
Linda Curtis is a hero of mine. You know why? She told us about her journey openly, honestly. The story was written so well it read like a novel. Not once did I get the feeling that any anger, hurt or other negative emotions experienced by her shunning overrode the positive journey. I recommend this book to anyone...it gives a good understanding of the Jehovah Witnesses faith as well as a fair expression of disagreement with those same beliefs. I loved reading this book and was more than happy to read and review Shunned honestly for the publisher.
This book was very interesting it was all about a young woman who grew up in the Jehovah religion. But it was told from the very beginning and told about the good things and the bad. What I did like was how it showed the positive and shows how someone could be brought into the religion in the beginning then it took a turn for the worst. The book showed a very strong woman with a very strong faith and things were going well for her. Her family was Jehovah, she married a man of the Jehovah religion, a lot of her friends were in the same boat. Her faith was a large part of her family upbringing especially when her father converted after a long time. Things take a change however when she is out delivering the message of Jehovah to a man she knows when she suddenly doesn't believe in anything she is saying anymore. I liked this book because it showed the turmoil that Linda went through both with herself, her friends, as well as her family and her relationship with her husband. I liked how it showed her confusion when she decided that being a Mormon wasn't for her anymore.  It was just her making a rash decision one day about her future it was her really looking at her life and what it all meant and what she wanted it to be.. The best part about this novel was I found Linda very easy to understand her character. She was very well written and not one dimensional like I was thinking that she might be. Her frustration at her husband when he constantly contradicts her and ignores what she needs telling her she needs to go to church more was just heartbreaking. I couldn't imagine having to face that on a day to day basis when she is already confused. I liked the strength that Linda showed and continued to show throughout the whole story well done I can't even imagine how hard that would have been. Great book and not a single thing I would change about it.
Shunned will break you. This memoir of faith, struggle and rebirth will have you on the edge of your seat. The author, Linda A. Curtis, was raised a JehovahWitness. She was the good girl, a Pioneer putting in many hrs of door to door evangelism. She never envisioned herself going down the road of doubt until one such door to door encounter had her hearing her message from the viewpoint of the receiver. Linda knows doubting is dangerous, but are worldly people that bad? Is what she’s been taught something her conscious can live with? Shunned is Linda’s journey to find out what happens when you step out of your assigned religious box.

If you are questioning the religion you were brought up in then Shunned just might be the book for you. Linda is honestly raw in her account of her journey. This book had me laughing, crying and cringing. There were times I just wanted to sit and weep along with Linda. I, myself, was not raised Jehovah Witness, but I know what it’s like to have your set beliefs ingrained in your brain and to step outside that belief is scary.

I did study with a Pioneer a few years ago for a few months. It was fascinating and intriguing. I felt challenged to explain why I believe what I do, which I think is good. Their study materials are impressive and they are highly organized. When I came out I pulled away from my studies because I know their view on homosexuality. I had hoped said Pioneer would still be my friend. A real friend. Sadly nope. As soon as I backed away it was like she never contacted me. When I reached out to check in I was advised I knew where I could find her. The Kingdom Hall. As long as I showed interest then you’d think she viewed me as a close friend, but as soon as that opportunity went away then I got black listed. Did she truly care about my spiritual walk and soul? Honestly I don’t think so. It came across as a numbers game. Glad I stepped back.

I received my free ARC of Shunned from NetGalley care of She Writes Press. This book has to be my number one 2018 book. It’s brilliant, respectful, insightful and most of all hopeful. Thank you Linda for sharing your heart.
This book was amazing. The writing was beautiful and well done. I was so invested. I can’t believe what the author had to go through. Then towards the end when she lost her husband, I was heartbroken for her. She consistently shows her strength and resilience throughout this book.