Bad Man

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 21 Aug 2018

My video review will be live here: https://youtu.be/8UitNPVS3to on August 3, 2018 at 3pm eastern time.

This review is based on an ARC of Bad Man which I received courtesy of NetGalley and the publisher (Doubleday).

Bad Man was exhilarating! I finished this book in a little under two days--I just could not put it down! From the very first pages I was hooked, pulled in face-first into this swampy Floridian suburb setting. The familiarity of the scenery and the plot is half of what makes Bad Man so eerie.

Auerbach's writing is so fluent and gripping; there is voice so strong that you believe Ben is a real man. It feels like the author is pummeling you with staccato keystrokes of tension and intrigue: Bap bap bap! so many layers of mystery, drama, hints and clues, leaving you...

See Full Review
After reading Auerbach's "Penpal," I knew I had to read this book. Auerbach manages to create such a creepy ambiance in his books that is unrivaled. This author is impressive and one to watch. I'm very surprised that he is not more popular. For me, he rivals many of the popular horror and thriller writers of now.

"Somewhere in the distance, lightning lit the sky on fire, and it screamed in pain."

Bad Man will be published on August 7 and is available for pre-order now.
It is told from the point of view of Ben, a young man who lost his little brother 5 years ago and never forgave himself and never gave up searching. For some reason the police don't seem to care and his step mother is lost in her own world, still buying presents and holding birthday celebrations for her little boy who never came home. Ben's father doesn't want him working in the store where little Eric disappeared but he sure doesn't mind Ben bringing home a paycheck. His boss is a jerk and the other...

See Full Review
Bad Man, the new novel by Dathan Auerbach, was one of my more anticipated reads of the year — despite my never having read this author’s previous work (though I will change that!). I was impressed by this taut, psychologically involving tale — one sure to please fans of dark and suspenseful fiction. While I felt the ending was maybe a little rushed, I dug the rest. Highly recommended!
This one took me quite sometime to finish. I'd pick it up, put it down, pick it up, put it down. I kept coming back to it, because I wanted to know what happened, but I just couldn't stay interested in it enough to get through large chunks. The writing is solid, and the premise is great, I just wasn't feeling it.
Ben lost his brother Eric many years ago and is still looking for him. As an adult, he takes a job at the same place he lost him. He begins to try to piece things together.
This was an interesting idea. People can spend years of their lives wondering what would have happened if they just didn't look away. An engrossing read.

Thank you to NetGalley for the free ARC which I received in exchange for an honest review.

I was so stoked when I was approved to read an advanced copy of Dathan Auerbach's upcoming sophomore novel Bad Man. I devoured Penpal in a day, and it's stuck with me ever since. This one is in the same general neighborhood but doesn't leave as strong an impression. Don't get me wrong, I really dig this and I'll probably buy a copy. It had all the same creepy nuances that reminded me of Dathan's past with creepypasta. But there were some things that didn't flow well, like how often he used U.S. Southern dialect in dialogue. I see he's from the South (as am I), but it wasn't very consistent. Hopefully that gets fixed before official publication...

See Full Review

Filled with a growing sense of paranoia and tension, Bad Man is a horror book worth reading. It shares a very similar tone to Gillian Flynn's novels. You follow the slow-paced discoveries leading the main characters towards a harrowing conclusion.

While the underlying story is that of a missing boy, the story really focuses on his older brother Ben. They were both just kids when on a trip to the grocery store, Ben turned away for just a second and his brother disappeared. Now, years later, Ben is dealing with his sense of guilt and shame for what happened while living in a fractured home. With few job opportunities, Ben is forced to go back to the scene of the crime and get a job as a...

See Full Review
A promising debut, with a style reminiscent of Stephen King, but I found the story very confusing.  Might be better to read as a hard copy with chapter heads than an arc ebook.

Thanks to NetGalley, Dathan Auerbach and Doubleday for providing me with an advanced ecopy of Bad Man in exchange for an honest review.

This book is about Ben, a teen whose three-year-old brother, Eric, goes missing from a grocery store while under Ben's care. Ben spends the next five years trying to find him and ends up working at the same store where his brother disappeared.

Bad Man is unique for its array or creepy, fascinating characters and atmosphere. While the novel is billed as a horror, I do think someone looking for a traditional horror novel might be disappointed. There is not a ton of gore or supernatural monsters. In Bad Man, most of the horror is based on unseen...

See Full Review

I think that in reading Penpal only recently and without reading the reviews first, I was armed to more thoroughly enjoy the writing style of Dathan Auerbach. To trust his style. To appreciate his presentation. And as much as I immersed myself in the first book, I found that Bad Man was even more engrossing. I really can't describe the style. It's not gruesome. It's not horrendous, but like Penpal, there is a momentary terror that creeps into the reading experience and combined with the enviable ability to create such a driven, innocent protagonist is beyond any fair description that I can offer. As an author, I'm jealous. As a reader, I am grateful.

Ben, the main...

See Full Review

Thank you to the publisher and to Net Galley for an advance e-copy of this book. This is a book that I’ll be thinking about for days, if not weeks. Dathan Auerbach does a great job writing a story that is not only suspenseful and chilling, but also makes the reader feel empathy for the relatable characters. The very beginning of this novel grabbed my attention, and while there was a slight lull in the action after that, it really picked up once I was about 1/3 of the way through. From that point on, I couldn’t put it down. For me, the climax of the story, as well as the ending, were not what I expected; it was not a predictable conclusion. I thought the ending was fitting, and loved how...

See Full Review
Thank You Double Day and NetGalley for providing an eARC for me to review! Publication Date: August 7, 2018

Chilling is the perfect word that describes this book. The characters and the town are weird and give off creepy vibes. The narrator himself was unreliable and he kept making one bad decision after another. It was overwhelming with the number of bad decisions he made and at times it often made me think that he was a crazy person! This book will make you second guess yourself until the very end!
I’m not quite sure how I feel about this book. It was a good read but kind of dragged out at times. I can’t understand how everything was related. I felt let down by the ending because after reading such a long drawn out story, I was really hoping for a wow moment. There was a lot left unanswered.
3 Stars because there was a really strong creepy effect.

Thank you to #NetGalley, the publisher and the author for my free ARC in exchange for my honest opinion.

**Thank you to NetGalley and Doubleday Books for a free copy of Bad Man in exchange for an honest review**

First and foremost, let's take another look at that cover! I absolutely love it. That creepy shopping cart caught my attention immediately.

Three-year-old Eric goes missing at a local grocery store while under his big brother Ben's supervision. Five years later, Ben finds himself so desperate for work that he applies at the same grocery store to work the night shift. The longer Ben works at the store, the more clues he seems to find about Eric's disappearance. Not only does the store feel ominous, his co-workers, local police, and even his own stepmother seem...

Published Date: August 7, 2018
Publishing Co.: Doubleday
Pages: 320
Synopsis link to GR:
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

I received this copy from the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Now this is what I was looking for when I said I wanted a good mystery.

Ben's younger brother, Eric, disappeared from the local grocery store five years ago while Ben was in charge of watching him. It's ate away at Ben over the years and he's never stopped looking. With his family on the verge of losing everything because his depressed stepmother no longer works, Ben is forced to take a job at the only place in town hiring. The very store his little brother disappeared...

See Full Review
I'm a huge horror fan, but unfortunately this did not hold my attention. Even though it was marketed as horror, I did not find it scary in the slightest, but that is not what dissuaded me. After trying for several weeks, I found no connection to any of the characters and no interest in their fate. I stopped reading at 50%. However, I would still read future works by this author depending on the premise.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.
Strongly don't recommend this book.  I love horror, and I found this novel severely lacking in execution and tone.  It seems really unpolished to me, and needs more editing for clarity.  On the positive side: Good premise and cover though.

Bad Man sets the stage for a creepy tale in a small town in Florida. Ben begins working at the same supermarket where his brother went missing from five years prior and each day comes a bit closer to answers and a bit further from sanity as the chapters unravel.

This is a horror novel! There are some gory scenes that are explained in detail!

I enjoyed how creeped out I felt throughout most of the story, sort of like I was being watched without knowing by whom; much like how Ben must have felt throughout most of the book. There were moments that you knew someone else was around, but never knew why or who. This is a great book for those who like to imagine how things may have gone when...