Promise Me Always

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 22 Feb 2018

Let me be honest, the first few chapters were a struggle to get through... not sure if it was me getting to know and understand the writers style, or if it just didn't flow too well... but stick with it people... because from the moment Danny met Dani I couldn't put the book down, I was hooked & loved every minute from that point on.  I felt the love and agony, the pushing & pulling of emotions as D & G found their way back to one another.  This was my first Rhonda Shaw novel, but it won't be the last.

Eh....this book was just okay.

I found Gabrielle to be incredible immature; actually I thought her character as a teenager was more mature than her older character was. The constant whining, complaining and apologizing was incredibly annoying. Danny was trying over and over again to do the right thing for both her and Dani (having them both by the same name was annoying as hell too), but all Gabrielle did was see fault in what he did. She complained about the world he was now in yet had no problem using his credit card to pay for things, driving the new car or taking her daughter to the dance classes he paid for.

The constant back and forth not only between POVs but between the...

See Full Review
Vivid characters, excellent writing and fantastic storyline. Gabrielle and Danny are dynamic characters with so much room to grow. Excellent!
'I'm gonna be watching you. Very closely. And when you finally have something you can't live without, something you want more than f##### life itself, I'm gonna be there and I'm gonna take it'
This threat will be the key in Danny and Gabrielle's love story. A really, really, REALLY fantastic story. I loved this book. I couldn't put it down. And when I was forced to stop reading, I couldn't think about anything else.
I love the characters, the relationship they have and the way the story is told. I was fascinated.
This book has been a wonderful surprise!

Danny’s nickname was D and his rap persona was DOA. He was famous rap star now. But as a young man he had accepted help from Terrell and thought of joining his gang but he would have to kill a rival gang member and Danny wouldn’t do it. Terrell let him walk away but told him he would be watching real close and one day when Danny really cared about something he couldn’t live without Terrell would be there and take it. Danny was now in rehab ghe had almost died when he OD'd on Xanax. And Dollar who was his manager/best friend had found him. Danny wanted to change for himself but more he wanted to change for her - Gabrielle - be someone she could be proud of. She wouldn’t understand the...

See Full Review

Rhonda is a new author for me, but as this book is in the music genre I am glad that I chose to read the ARC. It was an incredible story which will stay with me for a while. The characters were so realistic it was like seeing their lives unfold on the pages. This is a gritty story of life on the bad side of town.
Due to a tragedy in her family Gabrielle is living in a rough area of town where being bullied by gangs is part of life. She dreams of being a dancer and going to Juilliard and is thrilled to be accepted at the local ballet school where she can continue to practice. Danny is the bad boy with a "don't care attitude" from the wrong side of the tracks. He associates...

See Full Review

I just read my first five-star rating book for this year.

There are stories I skip words, phrases, sentences, or an entire paragraph; not this one. I read every word in this book and went back to some a couple of times. I even re-read the entire book the night after. I have other books on my list that needs to be read but I’m thinking of re-reading it again tonight hahaha

Chapters of the book alternate on the present day and the past. In each chapter, sections are divided between Gabrielle and Danny’s perspective. A present-day chapter is continued in a related flashback chapter. I have read books with flashbacks, I appreciate this writing style in this one because of the seamless flow of...

See Full Review
This book was everything I wanted to read
The characters were interesting
This is second chance romance, between two people who have been in love for many years. Can they have life together or is the past going to keep them apart.

I like the chemistry between them and the story is warm and lovely.
You know how you just can't get into some books? This was on of those
Wow! Let me start by saying this is my 1st read by Ms. Shaw. I read the blurb and said ok lets see what she's got and I did not regret it one bit. I would recommend her books to my friends any day, I actually have already this one. PMA was an emotional book it wasn't your typical book where it shows the prologue at the beginning no she reverts back thru out the book and I think that is great. You also get an in depth view of both Gabby and Danny's POV. In PMA you will see what its like to live in the hood, deal with gangs, heartache, forgiveness and happiness. So many emotions but you will love it.

Danny lives in the hood and has never had a home life because his mother left when he was little and his father is a junkie and alcoholic . All he's trying to do is avoid joining a gang because he wants to make it big as a rapper. Gabrielle's from the rich side of town until her father commits suicide because he has wracked up all kinds of debt, so then with her mother and sister, they move into Danny's neighborhood. All Gabrielle wants to do is go to Julliard to study ballet. It doesn't take long for Danny and Gabrielle's friendship to turn into more, but in the end Danny breaks her heart. Six years later they meet by chance ... and this time Danny will do...

See Full Review
I have to say this book was one of the best I've ever read on Netgalley. It had everything I love to read in this novel. I can't say much more than that. But I will be looking for more books from this author.
I lived how tjis book took you 6 years into the past with Danny and Gabrielle and then also into the present day to show uou that even though things were hard they are so worth fighting for and finding again.

Gabrielle and Danny met six years prior to present day when Gabrielle moved to a new neighborhood and new high school. During their relationship previously, they started out as, well, basically nothing. After a while a friendship developed, which quickly turned into something more. This is a classic story of boy from the wrong side of the tracks meets good girl and the two fall in love. The story would have been good if it ended there.

Six years later we get bits and pieces of what caused the two of them to fall apart and the story is very involved. Danny has become a world famous rapper and Gabrielle has become a single mom with a child - Danny's child, Dani, a little girl the...

See Full Review
I’m sorry this one wasn’t for me IDF it may be what others are looking for
A beautiful second chance romance that may just leave you a little misty eyed. Promise Me Always is an amazing read. It takes you on a journey of Gabrielle and D "Danny". Young love can sometimes lead to stupid things. And that is what happens with Danny listening to his friends. The love they share is evident that you can't help but see that he was just trying to protect Gabrielle. A chance meeting brings this young love back together years later. It is so beautiful to see the changes in Danny once he meets his daughter. He is such an amazing dad. I love how they fit as a family and find their way back. Truly moving.
Wow. What an emotional story this was!

Your heart will hurt, soar and hope for the best for these amazing characters..... they are dealt with a bunch of heartache... and so much more than a normal couple should endure. But can it work out in the end?

I loved and adored D and Gabrielle. They were intense and no matter how long it's been they are still in love..... I adored D as a father and loved the story from start to finish!!!

4 stars from me.

Recv'd a copy via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Second chance romance.  He's a successful rap music artist. Some potential triggers: scenes of violence and attempted rape.

This review is based on the ARC received from the author and/ or the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest opinion.

There are different types of family. The one that creates you, the ones that are always there no matter what and the ones you create. Family that builds you to be the best version of yourself not the kind that tears you down because family can do that too. Growing up in the hood, Danny dreamed of getting out . His friends know how talented he is and knows that one day he will become great with hard work and focus . Through determination and hard work, he gets there and out of the home where his father hates him and his mother abandoned him but also his one true love who he walked away from.
Gabby always believed in Danny,so when he made it big she was not surprised. But the boy who was...