Deadly Recall

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Apr 2018

This is the second in a series that follows PI Jessie Cole and I really enjoyed the first book, she’s a character that intrigued me and while you learn quite a bit about her in the first book, there was still many questions left unanswered. I’m pleased to say that this may have answered a few of my burning questions about both her and Ben, but it still left plenty of room for more in the next books!

Much as with the last book there were several various plot threads to keep you on your toes. Jessie is hired to help find a killer so clearly it’s an intense case, and then Ben is still curious about his own past so Jessie is looking into that and then finally Jessie is also hired to help a mother find her daughter that was kidnapped as a newborn. I know that sounds like a lot, maybe even too much but Ragan is a pro and everything flows together seamlessly, definitely never a dull moment in this one.

Sometimes with the second book in a series that had a really strong start things start to get shaky but there was none of that here. It was a solid follow up and I’m eager to see what happens next!

Deadly Recall in three words: Dark, Multilayered and Gripping.
Very compelling tale here - I went through this one pretty quickly & enjoyed the storyline & character development. Thanks to netgalley for the opportunity!
Though I liked the book, I made the decision when I finished not to review it on my site because it didn't fit into my editorial schedule. I am planning on doing a complete series (to date) post around October 2018.
Deadly Recall
By T.R. Ragan

2 stars

Slow and Boring.

This is the second book in the series featuring Jessie Cole, a private investigator.

I am aware that Ragan is a popular author and have read several of her titles in the past. This though is far from her best work, with a slow-moving plot, that failed to engage the reader.

The roll out of the story, describing the characters, trying to paint a picture of them is commendable, but it misses the mark on the books genre.

#DeadlyRecall #NetGalley
Deadly Recall was as thrilling as the first book in the series, Her Last Day.

I'd been waiting for this book to appear on the NetGalley shelf, because I so wanted to know what happens to Jessie and Ben after the events of Her Last Day.

And Deadly Recall did not disappoint me at all. It was fast-paced, thrilling and just my kind of read.

I loved that there were multiple cases to solve, and how there was just no time to pause. I loved all the action.

And the characters, wow. I loved Zee with her eccentricity and her determination to make it work, to rise above her schizophrenia and be what she wants to be: a private investigator, just like Jessie. I loved Ben's character because there was so much conflict there. A car accident 12 years ago had left him with retrograde amnesia, but had it also changed who he was?

All in all, Deadly Recall is a definite must-read for all the mystery/thriller lovers out there!
'An eye for an eye.'
PI Jessie is seeking answers to her sister's disappearance.
Owen Shepherd is targeted by vengeful father who wants revenge for son's death so he kidnaps Owen's daughter.
Ben attempts to recall past memories prior to a car crash.
What he uncovers will take Ben and Jessie to the brinks .
Plenty of brainwashing, manipulation, and mind games in this one.
Not my cup of tea but perhaps you'll enjoy this one more.
Thank you TR Ragan, her publisher, NetGalley, and Aldiko for this ARC in exchange for this honest review
A fast paced thriller with plenty of twists and turns!

When crime reporter, Ben Morrison receives a chilling letter, his first phone call is to the police, the second is to his friend, PI Jessie Cole.

Dear Mr. Morrison,
Greed killed my daughter. She was my angel and my life, and I refuse to let her go without letting the world know that greed is killing people every day. People need to know that their daughters or their sons could be next. My research has shown that you’re an experienced journalist who appears to have no real agenda other than telling the story. And that’s why I’ve come to you. I need you to tell my story.

I know you have children of your own. Have you ever had to watch your child suffer? In the beginning, my daughter was angry with her body for deceiving her. Exhausted and in terrible pain, it wasn’t long before her anger turned to fright, and she began to wonder if she would ever get better. She had no choice but to quit her internship at a large tech company. No more sports or morning runs through the park with her friends. Her joints were swollen. There were many days where the pain was so intense she lay in bed without speaking a word. She couldn’t get to the bathroom without assistance. We all felt helpless. Once we found the right medication, our hope was renewed, and we were able to breathe again. At least until she experienced her first seizure and reminded us things could always get worse, which they did. On my wife’s way to see our daughter in the hospital, an uninsured driver hit her car head-on. She died instantly. They told me she didn’t suffer. My daughter was prescribed a new drug. She did everything she could to keep me from diving headfirst into a pit of despair after my wife’s tragedy. And it was working, too, until I received a letter from Direct Health Inc. (DHI) stating their refusal to pay for the costly medication that was keeping my daughter from experiencing seizures. They said the drug was experimental. The doctors immediately stopped administering the medication. To pay for the costly drugs, I sold my house, begged for money on social media, and worked long hours so I could keep my insurance since I still needed what little help it offered. Eventually the money ran out. The hospital, the doctors—everyone involved—watched my daughter’s decline, and they did nothing. Unlike my wife, my daughter didn’t die instantly. She suffered for another year . Have you ever had to watch someone you love slowly deteriorate? The lumps that appeared on her body were painful to the touch, but I couldn’t help her to the bathroom without touching her . She couldn’t walk without feeling as if there were dozens of needles sticking into the bottoms of her feet. The pain was excruciating. She couldn’t move without crying. Her suffering did not continue for days or weeks, but for months. If you talked to the people who know me best, they would say I am a calm and rational being. But that was then, and this is now. I’m mad as hell. My daughter needlessly suffered and died too young because of greed. Since I have been unable to get the insurance company’s attention, I want you to contact DHI and see that I get an apology and reassurance that all experimental drugs will be covered for all patients henceforth. If, and this is a very important if, I do not see a photocopy of such letter on DHI’s company letterhead signed by the president and chief executive officer, Owen
Shepard, on the front page of the Sacramento Tribune on or before Wednesday, October 18, an innocent life will be taken.
Sincerely, MAH

Ben makes multiple phone calls requesting to speak with Owen Shepard but gets no response. When the demands MAH aren't met, Ben receives a second letter along with a thumb drive enclosed in the envelope. The video on the thumb drive sends a chills coursing up his spine.

“Tyler,” the voice said. “Tell whoever is watching why you’re here.” Both of Tyler’s shoulders slumped as if he’d been asked the same question hundreds of times already. “I don’t know,” he said , trying to get free. His arms were behind him, out of sight, most likely bound with tape or rope. In the background, Ben thought he heard the sound of a magazine being loaded into a pistol. Sitting taller, eyes wide, the young man looked directly into the lens of the camera. “ Why are you doing this?”“You know why.”“I told you. I’ve only been working for DHI for a short time. I never met Owen Shepard. He wouldn’t know me if we bumped into each other.” A long pause. Ben hoped this wouldn’t end badly, but instinct told him it couldn’t end any other way. “I had nothing to do with Han—” A gunshot sounded. Tyler McDonald’s skull exploded. A second later, the screen went from red to black.

Now, time is of the essence. The police, Ben, and Jessie are in a race against the clock to find the man responsible for sending the letters and murdering an innocent man— before he kills again.

******
Deadly recall by ** is the second  book in the Jessie Cole  series. The storyline is exciting, fast paced, and full of twists and turns that kept me guessing. I got to know Jessie, Colin, Ben, Olivia, and Zee in book one and grew to likey them even more in this book. They are fun, sensitive, and determined characters, each with their own flaws which adds to thier unique personalities. The ending left me with a tantalizing cliffhanger! I definitely be reading more thrilling adventures with Jessie Cole and Co!
Instead of doing something about what happened to your daughter, you took the easy way out. Feeding your anger. It's easy to be violent, angry and mad. It's a lot harder to fix something.

Jesse Cole and her tribe make reading fun. The plot, the characters, there is a connection that always brings me back for more. Jesse is passionate about what matters. In , Her Last Day she was determined to find out what happened to her sister. Raising her daughter Olivia now, she wanted Olivia to have closure and to know what really happened to her mother. Deadly Recall is dealing with Olivia and the aftermath and another case. Another case involving a vigilante who is targeting the pharmaceutical industry. A company that is being held responsible for the death of his daughter.
The president of the company has hired Jessie to find the distraught father before he makes good on his threat.

As in the Her Last Day, a few characters are brought back. Ben, a journalist who saved Jesse's life is trying to find his own life. A life that has been erased from his memory. A life that is dark and maybe dangerous. You are pulled into Ben's search of the unknown which is always is thrilling not knowing what you will find. Another character from Her Last Day Zee is my favorite come back. She suffers from multiple personalities and has joined Jesse's investigative team. What goes thru her head and her big heart makes her a favorite and one that you cheer for.

Now I am ready Deranged. Bring it on!

A Special Thank You to Thomas & Mercer and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.
Review	This is the second book of this series. This book starts up where the first book left off.
There are several different stories in this one. Jessie Cole is a P.I and Ben Morrison is a crime reporter.

Ben was in a car accident, and lost his memory and bits and pieces of his past comes back to haunt him. Is Ben a murderer? He is having flashbacks and he has Jessie to look in his past to find out more about the flashbacks he is having.

Jesse's talent is to find missing people and she is asked to find a mother's daughter. The mother's daughter was kidnapped from the hospital when she was born seven years ago.

Also Jessie has to stop a man from taking revenge on the CEO, Owen Shepard, who works for one of the countries biggest insurance company. The man blames Shepard for his child's death. He wants him to know what it's like to live with a broken heart. He kills two employees then kidnaps Shepard's daughter. Jessie and Ben
are running out of time and are in a race to save her.

I was intrigued from the very beginning. It is action packed with riveting suspense to the very end. The first book is even better and I would start with that book first, Her Last Day. This definitely is a fast paced thriller with lots of twists and turns. It kept me guessing and I found it to be an addicting read. It's a real page turner.

I thought it was very well written. This author is amazing.
The characters are very well developed. They are realistic and authentic.

I am looking forward to reading book 3 in this series. I want to find out more of Ben's history.

I want to thank Netgalley, Thomas & Mercer, and T.R. Ragan for the copy of this book in exchange for a honest review. (less)
I am always impressed by T.R. Ragan. She always keeps me guessing and entertained through the entire book.
As expected from T.R. Ragan another brilliant book. Highly recommend it. Thanks Netgalley and Bookouture for allowing me to read this book.
Book two of the Jessie Cole series. These are fundamentally dark thrillersl.   As with book one, there’s a lot of moving parts taking place simultaneously. Multiple story lines that seemingly have nothing to do with each other until they all converge in the end.

Jessie is a private detective who has no problem taking on the hardest or most disturbing of cases. Assisting her is Zee. (Who she met in book one.)  Zee makes a great addition to this book...and hopefully will continue for the entire series.

Ben, local journalist and Jessie’s friend continues to have retrograde amnesia, but recently is beginning to have flashbacks. This could really be promising news! Just maybe his memory is returning. On the other hand, this could also be a curse. Maybe, he really doesn’t want to know everything about his past. And maybe…some things are better left far behind.

An exciting, fast-paced thriller. I must say, I enjoyed book one a bit more, but I’m still hooked on this series and will be looking forward to the next installment.

A Traveling Sister read with Brenda and Susanne 🌸

Thank you to NetGalley, Thomas & Mercer and T.R. Ragan for an ARC to read in exchange for an honest review.
Book 2 in the Jessie Cole series and I am ready for book 3!  I would recommend reading  book 1 first.  Jessie Cole is a private investigator. In this book she is dealing with 3 investigations.  It seems a tad overwhelming at first until you realize that is exactly what transpires in real life.  One case is a abduction at birth, one is a distraught father, the loss of his daughter and anger at the medical community, and the third., well that is our Ben.  We met his sister, we learn of the horrors of his past, and then we are left with the conflicting thoughts and impressions on whether Ben good, bad, or both.  As Ben struggles, we struggle.  I am so anxious to see what transpires in book 3.  The cherry on top for me, was Zee.  We learn how she is dealing and she brings a new light to the story.  I am thrilled with this series, and it deserves a solid 5..
A must read, loved the first and second in this series, cannot wait for the third. Was hooked from the start, definitely recommend this author *****
Deadly Recall is the second book in the outstanding new Jessie Cole series by bestselling author T.R. Ragan. A riveting suspense that will pull you in right from the start, and keep you on the edge of your seat until the very end. With the unique storyline, complex characters, mystery, secrets, lies, humor, and intriguing twists and turns, this emotional roller-coaster of a story is a definite must read. Another fantastic book by Ragan, and a great addition to this incredible series.

I love this new series by Ragan. Jessie Cole is a strong, intelligent, and independent woman who became a private investigator so she could take care of her niece after her sister disappeared years ago (see book #1 for the full story), as well as trying to find out what happened to her sister. Jessie has recently been hired for three big jobs including helping her friend and local reporter Ben (who was introduced in book #1) figure out who he was before the accident that caused him to loose his memory of most everything before the crash, especially since he's been having morbid dreams that seem more like reality.

Needing help to keep up with her many cases, Jessie decides to hire Zee, who was also introduced in the first book, as well as recruit help from her niece and Ben. However, when people start dying, and the dangers are too close to home, she knows that the only way to keep everyone safe is to find out the truth. But will they be able to figure everything out before it's too late? Will Jessie be able to get the answers that Ben's looking for? Or will his life be turned upside-down in ways that he could never imagine? You'll have to read this to find out, but you won't be disappointed!

This book can be read as a stand alone, and although it's not completely necessary to read the previous book prior to this one, I would highly recommend it. The first book introduces some of the main characters in this book, and gives the background information about them, as well as tells the story of what happened to Jessie's sister. They're both excellent stories, and if you're interested in this series, I believe that you will get the most out of it by starting from the beginning. There's also a secondary plot regarding Ben that seems to continue at least through the next book, which is definitely intriguing.

I strongly recommend this book, series, and exceptional author.

I have voluntarily reviewed this arc provided by the publisher via NetGalley.
3.25 Stars* (rounded down)

Jessie Cole and Ben Morrison are back.  Working together again to solve the abductions of several people by a man with vengeance on his mind.  Vengeance against a drug company owned by Owen Shepard, who he blames for the death of his own daughter.  For Jessie and Ben, trying to find who is responsible is a race to the finish as yet another young girl’s life hangs in the balance.

In addition to working the case, Jessie also tries to help Ben delve into his past which ends up scaring both of them and if I’m being honest, gave me a few nightmares as well.

“Deadly Recall” is the second book in the Jessie Cole series by T. R. Ragan.  I enjoyed this novel more than the first and liked getting to know Jessie and Olivia. The character of Zee adds a certain balance and fun to the storyline and I hope to see more of her! Though the character of Ben is not my favorite, I am interested in seeing what becomes of him.

Thank you to NetGalley, Thomas & Mercer and T. R. Ragan for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.

Published on NetGalley and Goodreads on 4.8.18.
This was a sound, interesting mystery read.  However, I felt that the author tried to include too many stories within the book with none of the storylines being as fully developed as it could have been.  In addition, I found the ending to be rather flat with the only purpose being to get the reader to buy the next book to see what happens. I do not enjoy books that provide no closure unless I know ahead of time that it is going to be part of a series.
You know, I have read the majority of the Lizzy Gardner series, and I am really not a fan. It's like... they are okay to read, but nothing special at all. When this series launched, I thought it would be worth giving it a shot, and I was actually impressed with Her Last Day. I didn't expect to be, but I was. I am pleased to say that the second instalment in the Jessie Cole series is also a pretty good read.

There really are so many parallels between the Gardner books and the Cole books, but I honestly feel that the execution and characters are far better in the Cole books. Again, the pacing is a lot better in this. The book speeds by and is interesting throughout, not suffering from a lot of unnecessary bloat, and the multiple cases being dealt with are handled really well here, neither being forgotten or wasted away.

Zee returns in this book, and I am glad about that, as she is a character who is odd but I like her. Deadly Recall also gives us a bit more time to chew on Ben Morrison and who/what he is, as this book spends some more time digging into that. I really like this aspect, and I think Ragan is handling it really well.

Overall, Deadly Recall is a solid follow up to Her Last Day, and I am really interested to see where Ragan takes it from here. The book reads quickly, is interesting, and has characters that are more memorable than her other series. All in all, it works better, and is well worth the read if you are looking for a little something new to look into.
The second book in the Jessie Cole series finds Jessie taking on the case of a well-known health insurance executive whose daughter is kidnapped.  The kidnapper blames Dr. Owen Shepard for his own daughter's death and wants him to suffer the same loss.  Jessie also hires Zee, the woman who she helped rescue in book 1, to help out at the office.  Reporter Ben Morrison, meanwhile, is still trying to figure what his life was like before his accident.  He asks Jessie to contact his sister for him while he tries to remember more about what led to the accident.  The information he and Jessie discover could change their lives forever.  Solid book, although I thought Jessie could have been in it more.  I look forward to book three.
Thanks to Netgalley for the advanced copy..

I really loved that book 2 in series!! Can't wait to read book 3 in series soon.