Olympian Challenger

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jul 2018

This was a good book overall but it was just not for me. I tried to get into greek mythology but I just couldn't. The book was good but it just was not my cup of tea.
Rating: 2.5 stars

To begin with, I have to say that this book was a pleasant surprise. I am greek, so any story involving mount Olympus and the gods captures my attention. I can also be a very harsh judge, because mythology was my favourite reading subject from age 7 to 10.
Having said all that, I won't tell you that this is a book you'll read to dust off your mythology trivia or for the intricate plot. It's a quick read and f I'm being honest I might have enjoyed it more if I had read it a few years ago. The plot is not that sophisticated and the characters follow the classic YA recipe. In any case, Overall, I liked the idea, but the execution left me wanting more. I might pick up the second book if I come across it out of curiosity, but I probably won't go searching for it.
This,,, Just didn't do much for me. I love Greek Mythology (all Mythology, really), but this didn't reflect enough of the Greek Myths to satisfy me. If the author had created a unique world of their own I think this would have been a bigger success.
I absolutely love books with mythology in them. Add in romance and I am so there! The main character is absolutely amazing, even through all of her struggles. Then remains amazing when thrust into a new world. We NEED more strong female leads!
The writing on this was really poor, I felt like I was in a fan fiction of Rick Roridan's novels. The beginning was a little dramatic but I felt like every single character was the same. They all rolled their eyes or they all crossed their arms. To be quite honest, this book needed a heavy developmental edit before it ever saw the light of day.
Vote 3.5 stars
I love stories about Greek mythology and the characters were well described. But what has not conquered me was the too much immaturity and some choices made by the characters and the rhythm of the novel that in moments when it should have supported the pathos did not.
This was such a fun read as I enjoy Greek mythology so much. The characters are well created and relatable and the overall feeling of mythology remains. Excited to read more.
The concept was cool, but I thought the writing style and execution weren't as good. Really enjoyed the plot though.
I was super stoked to get this book. I am a huge fan of mythology and I tend to automatically try and read something when it is in the synopsis.  There is a good mix of humor and romance combined with enough battle scenes to keep things interesting.

If you liked books like the Goddess Test then chances are this one will be a good choice for you. The only thing that kind of put me off of the book was the lack of character depth. It is easy to over look I just wish it would have given me more.

I love a good cliffhanger ending. Even if it makes me want to throw the book across the room. Those endings usually guarantee I am going to get the next in the series and this book definitely had one.
Ordered this book months ago and will not get to it. If I do read this in the future I will leave a review on Amazon. Thank you for the opportunity
As a huge fan of Greek mythology this book was a must read, and it did not disappoint!

The MC, Hope, felt very relatable and I just adored her. I really enjoyed seeing her journey throughout the entire book, she made me laugh and cry and I just can't wait to see what is next for her!

I also loved Kirian, the love interest, so fitting that he is the son of Persephone and Hades too!
Hades is one of my favorites so I was excited to see him included in a way!

My favorite part though was getting to read about all the challenges the characters have to go through, specially Hope, it really made it feel very Greek mythology and was just fun to read about!

Overall, an amazing story I cannot wait to see what happens next!
Love this book! It's been a while since I've read a book with Gods and Goddess mythology and enjoyed it.

Hope is like any other normal teenage girl. She goes to school, has friends, swim team, etc. However, Hope is dealing with her mothers dementia. Some days all is perfectly normal, and some days it gets hard. Hope would rather have the normal days, but lately it hasn't been easy.

Until the day she got a letter and everything changed. Hope ends up finding herself on Mount Olympias. Yes, the one where the Gods and Goddess live. The place she least expected to be and not to mention she knows it really exists now.

Hope and a number of others have been chosen to complete a series of tasks in which the winner will become the next hero and be granted a wish. It does take Hope a bit to get used to everything, but in reality she really just wants to escape and get home. Since it's not possible, Hope will have to do all she can to move on and win.

During these tasks, Hope will make friends, see loss, have a God be her guide and even find love. In the end everything that she has been through has been worth it. Not the mention this book leaves you on a cliffhanger that just makes you begging for the next book.

I can't wait to dive into the next one!
Don't get me wrong, this is not a terrible book at all. It just could not match up with the other YA books I've read so I had to give it a lower star rating. The plot was very interesting and dark, but the writing could not do it justice. I'm a sucker for a story about Greek Mythology so it was interesting to see how the Gods/Goddesses were presented. They were basically cruel assholes, which I feel like is pretty accurate when compared to the myths 😂 I also really enjoyed reading about the different trials. I was rooting for the romance, but the dialogue between the characters was just so cringeworthy. I loved the friendship aspect of the book a lot more than the romances, which isn't the case for me most of the time. Hope's willingness to go the extra mile for her friends made me appreciate her a lot more.
Well written and easy to read. I love mythology retellings and this one is one of those that really grabs the readers attention. Such a fun read!
I enjoyed this book! Great storyline, dialog, action, and writing. I definitely recommend checking it out!
What can't I say about this work?! I loved the cover, the story, the intrigue. I couldn't put it down. Definitely would recommend this work!
So not the book to read while pregnancy hormones are going haywire! Every death made me cry like a baby, and by the end of the book I was so angry that I couldn't sleep. This is the first book in this series, and I can't wait to dive into the others!
I DNF'ed this book at 30% because I didn't quite feel it. The idea of it all felt like something between The Hunger Games + Percy Jackson. I feel like the latter may be because this story is about greek mythology, but even when I try to differentiate the two books from each other, I still feel the same.

I find greek mythology a really interesting subject to read about so I was excited for this book and what it had to offer, but I ended up rather disappointed.

We meet Hope, who gets a letter just like every seventeen year older in New York City, except — her letter is longer than everybody else's. The start of this novel was good, which is why I decided to continue, but then it went downhill.

The characters in Arditi's novel weren't really fleshed out. They were extremely one sided and had one trait only which defined the entire character for the rest of the book. I didn't see much plot development. You've got this girl who was really violent, and we didn't really see any other side of that furthermore.

Then there's Gabriel who lives up to the gay stereotypes. He can't fend for himself, is weak and loves fashion. That's understandable, but I don't understand why he's not like this further in the book? For sure, people can develop themselves during a book, but I think his change of character could be written in a different way without conveying stereotypes.

I'd recommend this to younger teens in the age between 11-13, as this will more satisfy them than what it did me. Overall, I had no problems with the writing style in this book-I found it quite easy to read!
~~ I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review ~~

The premise of Arditi's book intrigued me, I love any interaction with Greek mythology BUT this book got painful after a while. I liked Hope at the beginning but her journey felt disjointed to me, and although the book described the Gods a lot - they're still very two dimensional. The romance was predictable and tropey and finishing the book didn't really give me any sense of gratification at completion. It elicited more of "oh, ok, its over now" than anything else. It has potential, but not my cup of tea.
*ARC provided by NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

I started out this book in love with the whole scenario. The mythological base for this book is so strong that it is lovely. Whenever a new hero or quest is introduced it is a bright highlight of the otherwise bland story. Our narrator, Hope, is way too good for her own good. She often gives up so much to help people which is, typically, fine by me. That is until that is literally all she does. Her whole person is just giving up parts of herself for others without having any flaws. Everyone loves her because of how nice she is including the handsome god. I was able to overlook the case of no-flaws Hope until Kieron, the dark love interest, insisted that he was a man compared to Hope. This happens after they kiss each other while she is in his arms. It has been stated before that he has been alive for thousands of years but please, please, please don't remind me of this fact after he kisses a seventeen-year-old girl. I really didn't want to be reminded about this fact.

the rest of the characters are also very one dimensional. Amy is only known for her love of stealing bright gems and Gabriel for his love of one of the gods. If more thought had been put into the characters I feel like this would have been a great book. Instead, it has become one I am going to never finish just due to the fact that the characters are all flat and never remind me of just how giant an age gap is between a mythological being and the young YA narrator.