Brief Cases

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 05 Jul 2018

A nice collection of reprints all in one place, and a great new novella makes for a good short story collection. I normally don't like short story collections, but I make exceptions for authors like Butcher.
I have not read any Dresden Files novels and have only gotten into the comics. But this collection of stories was easy to follow without needing to know a lot about the characters or universe. Sure, fans will get more out of it, but I found it a pretty good read. There is nice variety among the subjects of the stories and they are all interesting enough to make you want to keep reading.
This book was so much fun! Great stories with well-developed characters and fantastical settings that Jim Butcher is known for. Dry humor was abundant here and I enjoyed every word. This is perfect for someone wanting a fun read but who has to pick up and put down a book frequently and doesn't have time to immerse in a novel with complex character and plot elements. A lover of Jim Butcher or fantasy books with a new baby or a young kid would eat this book up!

And of course fans will love this. One of my favorite parts were the little blurbs at the beginning of each story that explained where the idea had come from. The only sad part was when he said a story could easily turn into a whole novel but he didn't have time to write it, because I definitely agreed that many of these stories could be books, and I would love to read them. Crossing my fingers he ends up writing more from some of these plots.

We had a great chat about getting characters into trouble for an interesting plot on The Secret Library podcast... Jim is a really fun conversationalist and he was great to interview and very insightful about writing.
Though these are short pieces, I don’t recommend a new reader begin with these. Many, if not most, of the stories rely on readers being familiar with Butcher’s long-running series about Harry Dresden, mage and warden.

All but one of the stories are reprints. In gathering them together, Butcher is able to supply introductions to them, sometimes explaining the history and or impetus behind the stories, and sometimes acknowledging more thoughtful themes running through them..

The stories range from funny to harrowing to thoughtful. Readers should be warned that there are significant spoilers relating to events in the books. I enjoyed them, perhaps the more because they were short, so that I could read them spaced far apart; unfortunately, though I love Butcher’s characters, great pacing, and wry humor, he has a consistent tic that throws me right out of the story, which is that at least once a page, sometimes every paragraph, Harry, or someone else, “said softly.” When there are five “I said softly” repetitions on one page, I find it hard to immerse.

I fully realize that this is petty, and shouldn’t bother a better reader—his success proves that.
My review can be found on our website https://www.krlnews.com/2018/08/brief-cases-by-jim-butcher.html

I LOVED this book as I do all Dresden Files stories and book
I've spent a lot of time over the last decade with Chicago's only professional wizard.  Jim Butcher's urban fantasy series really sets the bar for what the genre can be.  It's full of snark, spirit and spells, but without being overly geeky.  So, I was especially pleased to get an advanced reader's copy of the new Harry Dresden short story collection, Brief Cases.  Collected from the live of the series, Brief Cases delivers a group of short stories featuring not only Harry, but other characters such as Butters, Molly Carpenter and Mouse doing what they do best.  Especially fun was the trio of stories featuring Harry's interaction with a Bigfoot scion through three different stages of his life.  While this is not an ideal jumping on point for new fans (too many spoilers), it is necessary reading for longtime fans of the series.  Brief Cases will hit bookstores tomorrow, June 5.  Grab one early.  You'll be glad you did.
I was already familiar with some of these stories, having gobbled them up in other collections, but they are a delight to read again. What can I say, I'm a sucker for Harry Dresden, and I absolutely love the short stories, as they tend to be just as funny and as interesting as the novels, but a little less exhausting (and sometimes, less upsetting!) for the reader. Harry's life is non-stop, and the novels only get faster-paced and gain higher stakes with each subsequent publication. Some of the short stories offer a breath of Harry-scented, mania-tinged air, while still being more on the fun side than the tragic.

What else is there to say? I love this book.
What a fun collection! I was watching The Dresden Files, via a streaming service, but they moved it to pay for before I finished. That made me even more excited to get to read this collection. I liked it! These are short stories and it's a fast read. Great for a trip or a rainy day!

My copy came from Net Galley. My thoughts and opinions are my own. This review is left of my own free volition.
A bunch of fun stories to whet your whistle while ....still waiting for Peace Talks.... :)  Some I had read in other places, but they're all short and fun!
What's not to love!! Jim Butcher is great! LOL can you tell I love him.  I love this collection of short stories and the time and places he has selected to highlight his characters.  Anyone who is a fan of Jim Butcher or urban fantasy will love this book.!
Thanks to Netgalley and Ace for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

Honestly, I don't think I can get enough Dresden Files. He just gets better and better. Often when you are reading a long-running serious, it gets stale and stagnates. This hasn't, it has gotten better. The characters flesh out more with each book, and in this book particularly we got a great story written from the point of view of "Gentleman" Johnny Marcone. Yes! It reads even better than it sounds. I know this is a re-release, but I haven't read the other anthologies so this is brand new to me. Plus, we have stories from Butters, which is fantastic, and Molly which are just as good and fleshed put as Dresden himself.

This was a great holdover for when the next book comes out, and I definitely suggest reading it. It isn't absolutely necessary to read the Dresden Files before picking this up, but it would help understand the characters a bit more. There. That is your excuse to get into this fantastic series. Dooooo itttttttt.
Jim Butcher is a favorite author of mine and I love the Dresden Files series.  It was great to read these short stories and get more info on some of the other characters.
A great way to dip your toes into the world of Harry Dresden. I'm a huge Urban Fantasy fan but believe it or not, I've never read any of the Dresden Files books. I know! Its hard to believe. But here comes Brief Cases and something in me says "Hey, why not give it a try?"

So I do. And I loved it. And now I need to go and binge the entire series because its just that good!

Brief Cases is a collection of short stories from the HD world—the one with Maggie and Mouse was my favorite—but whether you're a new reader of the series or a current one, I think you'll easily find something to enjoy here.

The shorts are full of compelling characters, both good and devious, and give an exciting peak into the world without the fear of a 16 book series commitment (because yes thats how long the series is at the moment once Peace Talks come outs.) But trust me when I say that you're going to happily walk into that 16 book series commitment after you read Brief Cases.

If you love edge of your seat adventures, witty one-liners, and exceptional character development, you'll love Brief Cases
I received a copy of this book from Netgalley and the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

So apparently anthologies and short story collections are just not my thing. Not through any fault of their own but because after reading one story, I kept treating it like an entire book and moving on to something else. So in case anyone has wondered why this has sat on my “currently reading” shelf on Goodreads for so long, that’s why.

At first, it kind of bothered me that this collection is mostly stories that had previously been published elsewhere rather than all new stories. On further thought though, that would just prolong the completion of Peace Talks so I can deal with it. :)

As for Brief Cases itself, much like the main series, some stories I really enjoyed, others I found okay.

There are several stories (3 I think) that deal with Bigfoot that I am kind of sad never made it into the main storyline. The story itself was on that was okay for me but I liked seeing Harry helping a supernatural creature in the way he is typically helping just humans, especially in the earlier books.

But the stories from Marcone and Molly! I was really unsure how I would feel about a Dresden Files story from another POV but I actually really liked these stories.

Molly is a character that I have liked since her introduction but never really connected with her. Never disliked her but was never overly excited to see her either. Because of this I was not too excited about reading her stories but again, I was pleasantly surprised by them.

However, Marcone’s story was the true gem for me. He is such a shadowy figure in the Dresden Files universe and his character is very…fluid. Very unpredictable to me. I absolutely loved reading from inside his mind. I would probably read a standalone novel entirely from his perspective.

So although these short story collections are not usually my thing and it did take me a while to get through it due to my own bad habits, this was a great way to hold over this fan of the Dresden Files until Peace Talks is released.
Fans of Harry Dresden will enjoy this tid bit - and will be crying desperately for more.  I know, because I am one of them!  Several shorts in here are new, while some were published in between his other books. His relationship with Big Foot is filled out, and we learn a bit more about Mouse.  But with Dresden's forays into the gaming world and his new series, Dresden fans suffer long waits in between new novels.

Take this offering, and enjoy it.  It may have to last a while.
This is considered #15.1 in the Dresden Files series. The stories are enjoyable even if you haven't read the complete series yet. Though if you haven't read all of the series, there are spoilers. It contains 11 short stories that were previously published and one novella that is new. The entry for Brief Cases on Goodreads has a list of all of the stories with about a one sentence summary of each.

I enjoyed all of the stories, but maybe in particular that there were 3 of them about a Bigfoot. They were mostly lighter than some of the others in the collection. I also found that I liked the story "Even Hand" which is told from Johnnie Marcone's point of view. It was nice to see another side of him, a deeper side.

The novella, "Zoo Day," I probably would have skipped if I knew ahead of time that it was in part a dog story. I generally don't read those in case something happens to the dog. But, the story was good.

The stories are all from various points in the series. Goodreads again includes where each story falls in the series in their synopsis here.

I'd have to say overall I give the book 4 out of 5 stars. The stories are well-written. You can enjoy them without having read the series, but you will encounter spoilers. There is a variety. Not all of the stories are from Harry's point of view. I would recommend this book and the series to fans of urban fantasy.

Brief Cases by Jim Butcher was released June 5th, 2018 from Ace.

Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book from the publisher through NetGalley. This did not affect my opinion of the book. The review is unbiased and honest.
This is a must-have book for any Jim Butcher fans. Zoo Day is a delight as we get to hear Maggie and Mouse's voice for the first time. I also love Bombshells, a story truly worth several reads to get all the nuance.
Wonderful short stories by Jim Butcher, perfect for tiding one over until his next Harry book comes out.  The new story was wonderful and it was great to see the others in one place.  I am buying several copies for my library and a copy for myself.
Fans of the Harry Dresden books will not be disappointed with this new installment to the series, and and newcomers to the series will want to read the rest of the books to get the full stories of the various characters.  Secondary characters like Marcone, Molly and our favorite polka-loving M.E. get their turns in the spotlight, and we get to see glimpses into aspects of their personalities that may not have been obvious in the complete books.  The best of all were the stories with Bigfoot.  All three of them were perfect examples of who Harry is and the kinds of situations he always seems to find himself getting into (and out of).  A worthy addition to a favorite series.
Incredibly fun Read. Of course there were some stories that were better than others, but over all it was a very fun read! It was nice to have different point of views in some stories other than Dresden, especially characters like Marcone who are interesting characters in the Dresden universe. I wish some of the stories were longer, and continued, but that is how short story anthologies work.