Always Never Yours

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 22 Jun 2018

I'm not reading nearly as many YA books as I used to but when I came across this book, I was anxious to read it. This book is surrounded by the Romeo and Juliet play but it features a main character that is more Rosalind than Juliet.

Megan Harper has always been the girl that guys date before they find their meant-to-be partners. She's become a flirt, the girl that keeps things casual because of her status as the girl before but when she meets Owen Okita, an aspiring writer who teams up with her to write a play and hook her up with the guy she wants to hook up with.

I normally don't have any trouble jumping into a contemporary YA because things happen sort of fast in those...

See Full Review
This was such a cute read with some darker topics addressed. I flew through this very quickly because I just wanted more. My only problem with it, and the reason I deducted a star is because there were some moments that seemed completely unrealistic for some of the relationships that a 17 year old would have. The shining star for me was the family drama plot because it felt authentic for a lot of teenagers around the world.
Cute light YA story. It was fun, with good characters and an underlying very good amount of Shakespeare. YA fans and teen readers will enjoy this sweet read with a nice hea and no cliffhanger demanding a sequel.

Heartfelt and emotionally captivating. Megan is the perfect leading lady in this thespian Shakespeare-inspired YA contemporary romance.

"I'm not the girl in the center of the stage at the end of the love story, I'm the girl before, the girl guys date right before they find their true love."

All Megan wants is to direct and get into her dream college, SOTI, and all that stands in her way is a pesky acting credit. What she most definitely does not want is to play the lead in Romeo and Juliet; especially when your ex is Romeo and dating your bestfriend.

Directing is the one thing Megan can count on when nothing else makes sense. When she feels like her father and...

See Full Review
A light and fun beach read about a girl who, after every boy she dates, ends up being dumped after they find their soul mate. She is like the fairy godmother of her exes and now she wants her turn. I had a good time with this book.

Originally posted on Forever Young Adult on May 21, 2018

BOOK REPORT for Always Never Yours by Austin Siegemund-Broka and Emily Wibberley

Cover Story: Boring Stock Photo Strikes Again
BFF Charm: Big Sister
Swoonworthy Scale: 8
Talky Talk: Straight Up
Bonus Factor: Theatre Kids
Bonus Factor: Shakespeare
Relationship Status: You Kiss By The Book

Cover Story: Boring Stock Photo Strikes Again

While the colors are nice and I *do* love a peony, this cover has stock photo written all over it. I mean, this is a theatre book about drama kids doing Romeo and Juliet, with a protagonist who dreams of becoming a director. That sentence alone held at least 20 cover ideas, but they went with...

See Full Review
I wasn't sure what to expect when I started this teen novel, but I enjoyed Megan's evolution throughout the story. I haven't read a straight up teen romance in a while. It was a delight!

Always Never Yours is a refreshing, sex-positive teen spin on the saying "always a bridesmaid, never the bride."

Megan is cursed. She moves from relationship to relationship, having some fun but always being a pit-stop on her current boyfriend's journey to true love. She's reconciled herself to always be one of the girlfriends instead of THE one.

When she gets assigned the role of Juliet in her school's production of Shakespeare's star-crossed romance, she's forced to jump into a spotlight that she usually just directs. In the midst of this, her clock is ticking, and she's on the search for her next boyfriend, her next distraction from the family...

See Full Review

Megan has always been the girl ‘before’, the ones her exes date before they find their ‘true love’. It’s never particularly bothered Megan, as she’s focused on her own future… even if it means tackling the role of Juliet in her high school’s production. As she tries to juggle rehearsals, new friendships, a potential new romance and complicated family dynamics, Megan soon finds herself questioning everything she ever thought she knew - including the possibility that she deserves to be the leading lady in her own story. Honestly, the entire reason I ended up reading Always Never Yours was because it mentioned Romeo & Juliet in the plot and I’m a sucker for Shakespeare in the books I read...

See Full Review

First and foremost, I sometimes struggle with contemporaries. It is not my favorite genre (though I still enjoy it), so I am picky about those I truly enjoy.

That being said, this book was beautiful. The writing was easy and quick while the in depth inner monologue and emotions that Megan had were so wonderfully fleshed out and really spoke to me. There was a mix of deep subject matter peppered with comedy and perfect Shakespeare references. All in all this was a solid 4 star book that I thoroughly enjoyed.

The only real issue I had is more with the setting, being from the area of Oregon that was being talked about in the book, the mix of real locations (Ashland, Medford, OSF...

See Full Review
Always Never Yours is a great young adult romance that every teen girl should read. Meagan was a great character that you'll fall in love with. I am so surprised by how much I fell in love with this great read
I had a mixed reaction to this book. I liked that the main character Megan had a sex-positive outlook, even despite the shaming she received from some of her classmates. However, that was really the most interesting thing about her. I think, however, that it's a "me" problem rather than a character problem. She was a layered character with her interests, family, friendships, and approach to relationships. The other characters kind of faded into the background instead of providing support.

I also think some of the writing felt stilted. All in all, I think it's possible I could buy this book for my library. It had some diversity in her love interest Owen and her friend Anthony.
I didn't find the MC to be at all believable. As she talked about how she didn't want to be onstage, but wanted to direct, I rolled my eyes. She hadn't kissed anyone in a while, so it was time to drag a boy into a bathroom? Who does that?

I really couldn't get past her as a character, so I couldn't finish this.
This was a light romance that many teens will enjoy. It is predictable, but the story is character driven. We get to know about Megan and her friends well enough to like them and sympathize with them. I appreciated that all of the characters had distinct personalities. It made the book much more enjoyable. Overall, it was a nice summer read that I would recommend to young adults in my library.

*eGalley provided by the publisher via NetGalley - thank you! This in no way impacted my opinions of this book.*

This book is basically a love letter to the girls who doubt themselves, who convince themselves that they aren't enough of something. A testament to the Perks of Being a Wallflower idea that "we accept the love we think we deserve," Megan always seems to be the girl that guys date right before they find The One. Not only that, but she's accepted it and resigned herself to that fate. But when things are complicated with her latest crush and she makes an unexpected friend during her school's production of Romeo & Juliet (in which Megan is the reluctant...

See Full Review
I liked the plot, the characters, and how sex positive this books was, but I never really connected with this book. This is totally just a me thing, but I think that so many people will enjoy this book and I would recommend it if the synopsis interests you.
I actually cried while reading this book. I have a Spock-like heart, but there were parts of this book that really spoke to me. This book is for anyone that has struggled with finding their voice, dealt with heartache, or felt that they've been left behind. It's a smart, witty, and engrossing novel that I want to read again and again.
I love the story line! It was a very good and fun concept. I could relate to the main characters in unexpected ways. Obviously the main character is more slutty/flirty than most people, which I couldn't relate to so well. I wasn't impressed with the main character calling EVERYTHING a hook-up. But I fell in love with Owen! I just kept hoping for a certain thing in the last time they did the play, but everything else was great! The author even made me care about the story Romeo and Juliet, and gave me interesting things to think about.

This book took me by surprise! I was expecting it to be lighter and fluffier, but it actually brought up a lot of interesting points and perspectives. It was refreshing to have the lead female character be the one always pursuing love interests. She is bold, funny, flirty, and a strong friend, but she isn't invincible. The moments when her real emotions shine through drew me in and made me love her more. I loved the different plot dynamics: relationship issues (both romantic and friendly), family issues, self-identity issues, and learning lessons through your own mistakes. This book was the perfect blend of romance, family, drama, and humor. It was one of those books that left me...

See Full Review
This was a very fun read. It had some typical YA cliches (backstabbing best friend, the quiet love interest is secretly very muscular, a few "mean" girls), but that is to be expected. I enjoyed following Megan as she dealt with her family issues, friends, the play, et cetera. Overall, although cliched, Always Never Yours is still an enjoyable book and I would recommend it.