Member Review

Robin S, Reviewer

Last updated on 02 Mar 2018

I Recommend This Book

Strongly

Do NOT read this book in public. You WILL get odd looks when you inexplicably burst out laughing at random moments. Trying to explain those moments to other people...can be difficult. Don't ask me how I know this. I just do. Anyway...

The world is ending, and it's all Grey's fault. All she did was run out of money and put an ad on Craigslist for a roommate. No big deal. Well, when that roommate happens to be a Shade host that tries to kill her 5 minutes into the story, things get complicated. Throw in an anti-social Seraphim, a crazed TV show host running for mayor, the pope, and some cultists...there's a big chance Grey won't make it out of this intact.

I loved this book. I went a little outside of my norm for this one and I am 100% glad I did. Started it late Wednesday night and finished by Thursday. Dark humor is a steady lifeline throughout the book and it makes the story move quickly.

Amanda Grey's growth as a character is beautifully done. She starts as a young woman with severe social anxiety--just the act of meeting a roommate seems enough to send her into a panic attack which is a running theme throughout the book. We see glimpses into the mind of a person with severe anxiety who pushes herself through it, forces herself to interact with "people" despite her aversions and grows into a person willing to die to fix her mistakes.

Given the cast and situations, this book reminds me a lot of "Good Omens" by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett. The style of humor is very similar so if you enjoyed that one, you'll likely enjoy this as well. It's not the book for people who take their religion seriously, or who are easily offended by language or violence as it has a lot of both.

Overall: definitely recommend (and have recommended to like-minded friends).

**I received a free copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.