Sugar Lump

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

I'm sorry but this was just,, not great. The writing wasn't very good and the telling instead of showing started to drive me crazy, especially because a lot of it felt like it had already been said a bunch of times. The characters were flat and stereotypical (token gay friend who I found very over the top, brooding love interest), there are a lot of things left unresolved and the mystery? SUCH a let down.

There were quite a few characters, most of which I had no idea who they were except for the main ones. I almost actually screamed 'WHO ARE YOU' multiple times because?? Confusion?? I have the memory of a goldfish so if it had taken me a while to read this I...

See Full Review
Did not finish. Did not love the first few pages and quickly got disinterested.

Seventeen-year-old CC is tired of hopping from town to town with her father. So, when they finally settle in a town her dad swears will be the final one, she feels glad and relieved. Sugar Lump is the country's capital of weddings. Beautiful, pleasant, it seems like the place to be. Her life seems dreamily completed with two smart and quirky friends and Thorn, the smart and incredibly charming son of Sugar Lump's Mayor. But the town seems perfect. Almost too perfect, for that matter. And perfect doesn't actually exist, right?

When CC overhears the Mayor talking about "taking out" a person, she is finally sure that something is terribly wrong with this town. But...

See Full Review

*I would like to thank Evernight Teen and Xpresso Book Tours for providing me a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book and the opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.

Wouldn’t it be nice to live in a perfect town, though there’s no such thing as perfection? Sometimes it’s too good to be true and most of the time, it’s more than what meets the eye. CC and her father finally found a place to stay, which is the Sugar Lump, the wedding capital of the world that has picturesque views that attract wedding parties from across the world. As CC lives in this perfect little town, she noticed that something is just not quite...

See Full Review
I loved this book! The mystery behind the town had me at the edge of my seat. I just wanted to know what was going on! The character were also very lovable and interesting. I would definitely recommend this book to everybody!!!
This book sounded so interesting but I just wasn't feeling it. I think would have loved this book more in a younger age but not now

3 stars—
I didn’t want to step away from the story once I started. And, I liked the characters (even if they have gone by different names in many YA books before). The idea of the novel is interesting and has a lot of potential. However, it takes 150 pages to describe the setting and characters before a conflict develops. Start The Story Already. The conflict is a town that is too perfect. And, if it’s too good to be true… The conflict involves money, arranged marriages, and a cult contract. Such an exciting idea! The writing is better in the first 150 pages; As the story continues, I miss the long, drawn out details because they do create a connection that is missing in the second...

See Full Review
Sugar Lump by Megan Gaudino is a very unique YA book, with a lot of interesting and quirky characters.  Once I started reading this book, I could not stop until I was done.  CC, who is seventeen-years-old, has been traveling from place to place with her father, as he works bakery jobs.  When they land in Sugar Lump, the wedding capital of the world, they start to set down roots.  Something is just not quite right with this town, and the people who live in it.  I will be reading more books by this author.  I strongly recommend this book if you are looking for something different.

I received this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.

This was a strange but fun rollercoaster experience. I couldn't decide between 3 or 4 stars, so I'm giving Sugar Lump 3.5 stars. This doesn't mean I didn't like the story. I found the characters fun to read, I loved the relationship between Thorn and CC, and Megan's writing style is fun and accessible.
I think my only problem was trying to figure out what was going on. First, everything seemed to perfect, but then I realized that was a part of the story which gives begins to build a creepy, mysterious tone. Once I figured out I was supposed to be questioning the perfection of the small town (Sugar Lump), then I became even more curious to see how the conflict...

See Full Review
This was a fun book and I was all about the quirkiness. I like books that fall in the category of different because those books call to me! And that cover is freaking amazing!!! I can’t wait to read more from this author!

Let the record show, I really tried to like this book. But there were so many things about it that I couldn't get past, and here at the end I'm feeling upset I just spent five days struggling through this book when I have so many other books on my TBR pile right now.

Let's start with the bad, and then I'll discuss the things I did like about the book. (I gave it two stars, so I have to admit there were a few things I did like.)

Welcome to Sugar Lump, a town where both the economy and everyone's lives revolve around being a destination wedding location. The protagonist CC and her father have moved from place to place to place their entire lives (although there is...

Sugar Lump
by Megan Gaudino
Evernight Teen

Romance , Teens & YA
Pub Date 17 Jan 2018

I am reviewing a copy of Sugar Lump through Evernight Teen and Netgalley:

C.C is a seventeen year old travel blogger who has been stuck on a never ending road trip with her wanderlust Father. But her Dad lands a job in Sugar Lump Wedding Capital of the world, C.C is finally able to have a place she can call home, complete with two quirky friends and a boy she crushes on. Sugar Lump is more shades of perfect than she could imagine.

But nothing about the town is what it seems. When C.C overhears the mayor threatening to take an employee out for not fulfilling a the terms of the contract...

See Full Review
So it was an interesting story. I couldn't stop reading. I loved the chemistry between CC and multiple characters. I just didn't like the ending as much. It felt rushed.
This novel was slow to start, then really picked up at the halfway mark. Our protagonist was real and honest and gave the book some real substance.
This was a fast-paced enjoyable read. Lots of intrigue and mystery.
I voluntarily read and reviewed an ARC copy of this book from NetGalley. My thoughts and opinions are my own.