The Princess in Black and the Science Fair Scare

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Dec 2018

Another good addition to this series.  Princess Magnolia is excited to participate in the inter-kingdom science fair.  She does not expect any trouble, but someone's volcano project goes monstrously wrong and it's definitely a job for the Princess in Black.  Along with the Princess in Blankets and a few other princesses at the science fair, they are able to take care of the monstrous problem and save the science fair, but unfortunately not Princess Magnolia's project.
The Princess is back again, with more friends and a great plan for the science fair.  This volume is notable because of the use of STEM topics, and a greater message of working together.  Here's hoping that the next installment has even more disguised heroines.
This was my favorite title in the series. I like the setting at a science fair. There are lots of details to focus on. I like the comradery of the girls in solving problems.  I really like this series. I think boys and girls will enjoy it.
Another great installment in Princess Magnolia's continuing adventures. This is such a great series and I'm always glad to see a new one. If you've liked the others you'll enjoy this one too as it has all cuteness, team work, problem solving and strong female protagonists that we've come to expect from the series.
The Princess in Black goes STEM!  I love that this series continues with a STEM focus.  Princess Magnolia and her friends create projects for a science fair.  One project gets out of hand and requires the Princess in Black.
This sixth book in the Princess in black series is every bit as enjoyable as the rest. It is really fun to see the author evolve their cast of characters into a team of super heroes who all rely simply on imagination and teamwork rather than super-human abilities. This book is a great addition to the series and will certainly be enjoyed by anyone who has enjoyed the rest of these delightful books.
Another fantastic addition to the Princess in Black series, this time with a nod to SCIENCE! LeUyen Pham’s art is phenomenal (I can’t wait until 2020, her year to illustrate the material for the summer reading program via CSLP) and partners with the text for an amazing story. I would frame and hang art from this book (and other PiB books) in my house, I love it so much. The diversity of characters who attend and participate in the titular science fair is beautiful, not to mention the easter eggs of hints towards monsters in the big spreads!
Now that I’ve gushed about the art (and could continue for pages, describing my favorite of Pham’s animals), let’s turn to the text. I love the clear and simple ways science experiments and ideas are woven into the story--perfect for any kid a little nervous about their first science fair or who need a friendly introduction to the ways of science. Animals! Air pressure! Physics! MONSTERS! I can’t wait to share this book with young library patrons and to see what comes next in the series (please never stop with PiB).
Another great addition to the beloved Princess in Black series. I like how this one centers around school projects. Kids will connect with this right away. I also like how they worked together to solve the monster problem.
I already loved the Princess in Black series, as did my girls.  And this latest one is the best so far. Princess Magnolia is setting up for the science fair when another kid's volcano well, turns into a monster! Quick costume change into the Princess in Black, and with the help of another princess-superheroine and her other princess friends, she's off to save the day!

But the best part about this one is that there are subtle science concepts woven throughout, which is just fabulous. And at the end of the book, the princesses come across a problem and have to use their creativity to come up with a solution that involves principles of physics. Princesses, superheroes and STEM?  Love it.
Cute, though less meaningful than other books in the series. I enjoy that the other non superhero princesses create their own costumes at the end, a great set up for the future I'm sure. The Princess in Black series is one I always recommend
Princess Magnolia is once again back to the delight of her many fans in my Media Center.
The Interkingdom Science Fair is scheduled to begin at her school where she will display her poster on seeds and plants.  Her friends have a bit more elaborate projects and caught up in one of them is a goo monster who is causing quite an upheaval.  Princess Magnolia shifts gears and becomes the Princess in Black to save the day.  With the assistance of the Princess in Blankets, the 2 masked heroes proceed to save everyone from that monster.
Not only will readers delight in the antics of the Princesses but are bound to pick up some interesting science explanations along the way.  What a fun, and educational read, at the same time!
E ARC from Edelweiss Plus

Princess Magnolia is all set to share her poster on the growth of seeds into plants and the local science fair, even getting coverage for the monsters so they don't disturb her! She meets up with many of her friends, who all have submitted projects of their own. When one volcano project seems to be harboring a monster in its goo, the princess heads under a table, suits up, and the Princess in Black is ready to fight. She's met by the Princess in Blankets, and the two have quite a fight with the monster. They decide to take it back to the field to send it to be with the other monsters, so have to carry it on the train, which requires the help of other princesses as well. Eventually, the monster is dispatched, the science fair is won (not by Magnolia, who is a good sport about it), and three new monster fighting princesses are minted.

Strengths: Unlike some series that tend to flag as they go on, Princess in Black keeps getting better. Each book shows some character development and some strengthening of her community. Including science experiments in this one is especially welcome. I'm just sad that these were not around when my own daughters were in the target demographic!
Weaknesses: Princess Sneezewort's costume needed some work. Kids probably find it funny, but I was somewhat disappointed!
What I really think: I purchase all of these and check them out a LOT to my struggling readers, especially the boys, since Ms. Hale has had such ridiculous backlash against boys and princesses. With the first book, we only checked it out to boys until the first circulation card was filled up, just to prove a point.
Hale and Hale knock it out of the park yet again with the next Princess in Black story. I loved the addition of new superhero characters and the teamwork involved in this story.
Hale, Hale, and Pham have delivered another delightful volume in the "Princess in Black" series, one that I hope is a sign of many more exciting stories to come!  There's not much time for characterizations in this quick entry, but the story is exciting and funny, and Pham's illustration continue to be a highlight.  Her goo monster is both adorable and frightening.
The Princess in Black series is way popular in our library and they just keep on getting better and better each time you read them. In the science fair scare one of the princess' friends adds monster fur to a volcano and baking soda and vinegar activates the monster and brings it to life. This book will circulate very well just in time for Halloween and our young readers are bound to love it.

Thank you NetGalley and Candlewick Press for the ARC in exchange for an honest review. This title is sure to be added to the rest of the Princess in Black Books in our JFiction chapter books collection in our library. That is why we give this book 4 stars.

Review will be posted on Goodreads and the Lovely Librarian Blog.
I love these fun books that are light-hearted, yet feature a strong female character who can "do it all."  She's a princess AND a hero!  The monsters aren't too scary, and the illustrations are wonderful!  I highly recommend this series!