Jar of Hearts

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Jun 2018

Sooo good!  This is one intense page-turner!  This has all the making of a great murder mystery - suspenseful, creepy, and addictive.  Far exceed my expectations!  A great read!
This was an extremely unputdownable (???) read. After just a few pages, I was in for the long haul and had to know exactly the truth behind what happened to Angela and what role Geo played in all of it. And by the time I made it to the end, I was a bit breathless. I sure didn't expect that ending, although once it started unfolding I wanted to thunk myself on the forehead and ask how I didn't even suspect that!!! The writing was great and the storyline engaging. A very enjoyable, suspenseful read!
This was  a pretty good!! But very disturbing and dark.

Thanks to netgalley for providing me with this book.
Probably the best twisted suspense/ thriller of the year. I enjoyed a lot the writing style, the pace and the actual plot with beautiful twists. I somehow guessed part of the ending, but not the whole thing. Jennifer Hillier is quite the master of twisted plots it seems. Just wow. I cannot possibly be perfectly coherent at the moment, the book is too fresh in my mind still. While many times I was annoyed with Geo and her actions and lies, she is so complex that I realised it is ok to neither like nor not like her. Her character however is really well built throughout the book.

Many thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the opportunity to read and review this arc.
A Jar of Hearts kept me up late into the night, flipping pages until the end! A must read for psychological thriller fans!
Loved this read! This story kept me on the edge of my seat and I could not wait to finish to see what happens. I enjoyed the character Geo and following her story with conflicting feelings if she was a villain or victim. I would highly recommend this psychological thriller
The best way to describe Jar of Hearts is that it’s a cross between Orange is the New Black and Gone Girl.

Georgina Shaw (Geo to her friends) is a successful lawyer on the path to marry the partner’s son. But here she is, on the witness stand. She’s an eye witness to the murder and dismemberment of her best friend 14 years ago and Geo said nothing.

Her then boyfriend ends up becoming the Sweetbay Strangler. If Geo had only spoken up years ago, she could have saved the lives of many women.

Geo receives 5 years in prison. This sentence strips her of her fiance, career, income, and reputation. But she deserves the time she spent there. The first few days were horrendous, but with her business skills, she works with an inmate to gain protection and authority among the prisoners. Just one thing has here worried, Calvin James, the Sweetbay Strangler has escaped from prison.

When five years is up, Geo tries to get her life back together. Her detective best friend, who arrested her five years ago, is trying to protect her. Bodies have started to turn up. The Sweetbay Strangler is at it again, and Geo might be his next victim.

This book is definitely a thriller with a capital T. The action seems a little slow at first, especially with Geo’s time in prison. But once it picks up, it never stops. There’s many twist and turns that keep you reading and you never want to stop.

Jar of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier receives 5 stars.
Georgina Shaw has everything going for her in her life in Seattle. She's in a top position at work and she is engaged to one of the wealthiest men in the city. So why is she being arrested for the murder of her best friend, Angela Wong, 14 years earlier? Geo(as she likes to be called) didn't murder her friend, but she was there when it all happened and kept this secret for this long. There are so many secrets from that night, that need to come to the surface, but one Geo will keep hidden for as long as she can.

Thank you to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press/Minotaur Books for the opportunity to read and review this book.

Geo is sentenced to 5 years in prison for her actions on the night her friend was killed. After she is released, more murders similar to what happened with her friend that night begin to happen. Geo's friend who was also friends with Angela, Kaiser Brody is now a police officer and is working on this case. But is it too much for him considering his feelings for Geo in the past. He believes, Calvin is responsible for these murders since he's escaped from prison, but there is something different about these that has everyone stumped.

I was on the edge of my seat while reading this book. It's impossible to read this story and not become fully engrossed. Geo is really the kind of girl that you would probably be friends with. She is pretty down to earth and knows how to get what she wants. My heart went out to her during the whole book, I wanted to jump in and try to save her. But the ending will have you thinking to yourself, "What the hell just happened?" I recommend this to anyone who likes a book that keeps you on the edge of your seat.
This book kept my interested 100%.  Geo, Angela and Kai are best friends (2 girls 1 boy) and Kai has a major crush on Geo but the feelings aren't mutual.  Geo starts spending time with an older man named Calvin and they all feel the strain.  One night Angela goes missing and a few years later Angela is found dismembered.  When Geo is let out of prison the murders start all over again.  Who is causing this and what is going on.  I loved this book.

Received this book as an ARC for my honest review.
When this book basically started with the murderer going to jail I was not so sure about where the rest of the book could possibly go.
Apparently by imagination has gone on holiday without me again.

Any-who

This book flip-flops between present day and the past slowly revealing little bites of important information that changes the reader's perspective. Good guy/Bad guy lines are blurred, which I love.

Sadly, I am also a sucker for the twisty twist and that is what I was so looking forward to in this one.
I had the 'twist' figured out before it ...twisted, that is always disappointing.

Hillier spins a good yarn though. I would be entirely interested in checking out another one of her works just to see if it scratches that itch a little better.

I received a copy of this via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Holy plot twist! An absolutely addictive read as you're uncovering the beginning to a story you think you know the end to. Jennifer Hillier is an author I will need to seek out more from. That being said, there is some fatphobia displayed that I'm unsure if was used in relation to the plot at the time.
This book kept me reading late into the night and was totally not what I was expecting when I started it! What a chilling thriller!
*Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for an ARC of this title in exchange for an honest review!*

I read this book very quickly. It is sure to rope in thriller readers who just want to know who is guilty of what. I found this story equally interesting and disturbing.
This author is very similar to Karin Slaughter.  She has very developed characters, deep plot lines, very twisted turns to keep the reader guessing as to the outcome.
In every story, there’s a hero and villain. Sometimes one person can be both.

The last sentence of cup 21 and could have been the opening line of the book.  So profound are these words.

This page turner of a story was was like taking a drive.  Starting straight, having you think you can see the story laid out in front of you then coming up on breathtaking curves that leave you leaning to one side as they are so unexpected.  At times moving so fast you feel like you are flying through trying to take it all in only to have your speed reduced to a crawl while you experience heartbreak alongside the character in a moment that feels like is frozen in time.

This is my first time reading this author. The way she unfolds her tale around you is a joy to behold. She is definitely on my reading list now!
This book blew me away! I am such a fan. The slow build up was fantastic. I was intrigued enough to devour this book in an evening. I can't wait to read more from the author. The end was very surprising and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
I liked this one, although, wow, Geo is totally unlikable. Lots of good twists though, and an unexpected ending. Would definitely read more by this author.
I can't believe I didn't read this book AS SOON as it was made available to me by NetGalley!  What an incredible read.

This is the story of the choices we make haunting us and others for the rest of our lives.  There's not a single characteristic of Georgina that isn't dead-on in this book.  As a young high schooler, with the head cheerleader for a best friend, Georgina makes the ill-advised mistake of falling in love with the wrong man, Calvin.  He's older, he's edgy, and he's dangerous; but, because he's one of the only men to show HER the attention instead of her gorgeous best friend, Angela, she goes all in, even when red flags are waving right in her face.  Her relationship is abusive, and then murderous.  Not only is a friend murdered, but Georgina murders her own future when she covers up the crime and tries to move on with life as if it hadn't happened.  And this is how life really is.  Every decision you make has the ability to haunt you forever.  Georgina hit the bad decision lottery!

The story alternates between Georgina as a high schooler, who ultimately commits a major crime with Calvin, and then as an adult paying for that sin.  Her relationship with Calvin is described perfectly: obsession, jealousy, fighting, honeymoon periods, and anxiety.  All of her victim traits are carried over into her later years, when she ultimately serves prison time for their actions.  Georgina finds in prison a structure, a routine, and the comfort of good friends.  On the outside, left with only her own dark thoughts, she feels "too free" and unsettled.  There's a killer on the loose and she doesn't even care.  She's a textbook abuse "survivor".  Post-prison Georgina reunites with her old high school buddy, Kaiser, a boy who had an undying crush on her all those years ago, but who ultimately became a detective and arrested her thereafter.  Because of a series of gruesome murders taking place in the area again, Kaiser is back in Georgina's life.  It's a storyline that provides both Georgina and the reader something comfortable to hold onto amidst all the gory details.

The overall theme of "first love" is brilliantly written in this book.  Not all "high school sweetheart" stories are true love stories, and Georgina's certainly isn't one.  And for Kaiser, arresting the subject of his unrequited love certainly doesn't help his cause.

I loved this read.  It wasn't much of a thriller, but more of a gruesome, psychological roller coaster.
There were some plot holes, some things not explained, and some points that seemed rushed (the ending), so I would give this 4 out of 5 stars.
First, do not start this novel late in the day. If you do, you'll pay the price the next day when you're asleep on your feet. "Jar of Hearts" is a tense psychological thriller that you keep you up late reading. If you do fall asleep, expect a restless night or nightmares. Hillier has crafted a story about three high school friends. One is dead, one is living a lie, and one is determined to learn the truth. Their story comes together 14 years after Angela's remains were discovered near Georgina's childhood home. Their friend Derek, once caught in the middle of their tight, often volatile friendship, is searching for the truth that shifted their world in a wrong direction. At the middle of it is Calvin, a suspected serial killer. He also was Georgina's first love in high school. What happened the night Angela died is a secret that no one is prepared to share - until more bodies are found. I don't want to give away the story, but trust me that this one is tensely twisted. It's as packed with suspense as the jar of candy hearts that once sat on Georgina's desk. A jar of hearts from a killer.
Georgina Shaw, Angela Wong and Kaiser Brody were best friends all through high school. Angela was the one that everyone looked up to and wanted to be her friend. Georgina was never envious of her friend’s needs. On the other hand, Angela could not stand it when Calvin James became very interested in Georgina. Georgina falls in love with Calvin. Then, one night after a party Angela goes missing. Georgina Knew what happened to Angela that night but did not tell anyone. Fourteen years later her remains are found in the woods behind Geogina’s House. Detective Kaiser Brody, former high school friend, arrested Georgina. She is sentenced for 5 years in exchange for her testimony and Calvin James is sentenced for life.
This book will keep you up past your bedtime! I would highly recommend this book to anyone that likes a little suspense!