Patriots

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

It was an interesting read, not my favorite read of this year but I am glad I read it. Would probably reccomend to certain friends
DNF - I just couldn't get into this one, sadly. Although books around 9/11 also tend to make me uncomfortable as it is.
See link to goodreads review
Hmmm... I’m not sure how I feel about this book. It started at the end and worked back three days. So I have to be honest, I had to reread first part when I got to the end. There were so many characters that it was a little hard to keep track while reading. I also did not realize it would end so wide open. Hadn’t realized it was to be a series like that. I don’t mind series, I am reading quite a few, but I don’t like when they end so abruptly and obviously stopping where book 2 will start. I felt a little cheated not knowing an ending.
This was such an interesting read.  The swapping between characters sometimes got confusing, as there were several main characters - but the book was written as such that you don't know who did "the thing," and that it could have been any of them.  The author is clearly well-read, as he often cites quotes from different books.  There are a ton of relevant cultural references (Black Lives Matter, current presidential situation, etc) that he intertwines into the main characters stories.  I will be really excited to read the second one when it comes out.

Patriots is an intriguing modern day collection of stories within a larger story that kicks off with the ending hurled at us at the very beginning-- and the lead up outlines the rest of the novel to the moment things go wrong.

What I liked: Characters. None of them flawless and all of them share a self-absorbed quality that's quite refreshing to see not only stated, but acknowledged and called out. From a good looking on the surface power couple whose lack of depth and honesty is crumbling the foundation of their relationship to the broken unrequited love and opposing sides of a life long friendship quickly destroyed, to the insidious anti-government and anti-all-but-white group, to a...

See Full Review