Dracula: The Modern Prometheus

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Mar 2018

I've read various classic mashups (i.e. Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, Little Vampire Women, etc.) and each has their own flair to our beloved classics. This one, though, combines both Dracula and Frankenstein while gender swapping the characters. Lady Dracula is seeking out Mina in order to resurrect her sister Elizabeth through the reanimation of corpses.

I will not spoil all the details, but this mashup stands on its own among the rest of it's horror mashup brothers and sisters. I was skeptical at first, despite the description since it is Dracula and Frankenstein after all. Combining these two is quite a stretch but Rafael pulled it off quite well.

Definitely would recommend this if you are a fan of literary classic mashups.
Fracula?  Dracenstein?  An interesting concept!  This whole book shouldn't have worked, and yet somehow it did.  At times I felt the styles conflicted, but it actually helped to highlight what was original and what was taken from the texts themselves, making it a really unique work of fiction.  It wasn't perfect, but it was definitely a new concept and deserves points just for that!
DNF - Found it really boring. I was hoping for something more.
I really liked how this novel managed to blend some of the most famous horror novels and still managed to find a new and fresh angle to explore.

I really enjoyed reading the original Dracula (I enjoyed Frankenstein far less) and loved the author's fresh take on the characters, especially its re-writing of Mina.

The monsters were interesting, I liked the conflict between Eva and her creator, and would have loved to see more.
I wanted to give this book a full five (5) stars, but the more I think about it I realize I can not do that. The book was good, but just like the original Dracula & Frankenstein it was so hard to read. Rafael Chandler kept the style of writing that Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley and Bram Stoker did in their books and just like those books it was very hard to read. The story line and plots were very well written, but the style of writing is not to my taste. So in such it made it very hard for me to stay enthralled with reading the book.

If you liked the original books, then you will probably enjoy this book. As for me, I was not a fan of the story. Please, don't take this as a review that will put you off reading this book. All books are meant and should be read. I just did not enjoy this book.
I've never been interested in reading about Dracula and Frankenstein, and this book here gave me more and more that makes me wanna keep reading it. it's quite cool.
So I finally read Frankenstein for the first time last year and I thought it was okay. Dracula I read ...sometime in high school and it was honestly until a few years ago the longest most absolutely boring book I had ever read. I love vampires but I haaate the original Dracula book. Actually I ended up giving this book more stars than I gave to either of the originals, but I also had a lot more fun reading it.

This book is a kind of mash-up of Frankenstein and Dracula with most of the main characters gender-swapped. Jonathan is nowhere to be found and instead Mina is the solicitor that goes to meet Dracula, who is also a woman. "Frankenstein's" monster is also a woman [named Eve] and was made by Dracula instead, which is just such a great idea I can't believe no one has come up with it before. It also features several other characters from both of the novels - Seward, Renfield, Justine, that ship captain dude, Van Helsing, etc and all of these characters are still men.

It was a really fun read because - in my opinion - the author managed to take all the most interesting and relevant parts from both novels and edit them together into something new. There are a lot of passages that I recognized as being lifted straight from the source material, but there is also a lot of new stuff as well so you definitely won't be bored. Sometimes the styles don't match up perfectly - these books were published almost 80 years apart, that would be like mashing up something this year with something written in 1938 - but overall it's a really fun story and I'd definitely recommend it for classic horror fans or fans of retellings.
What a peculiar idea... but oddly engaging nonetheless!

As someone who reads a lot of gothic horror, I was naturally intrigued by the concept of this book. A mash-up of the two behemoths of Gothic literature, you say? My interest was piqued, and so I commenced reading.

It's about the Countess Dracula (yes, you read that correctly), who invites Mina Harker to her castle in Transylvania. She's got a dastardly plan to move to the UK, and Mina is just the solicitor to help her achieve it. Meanwhile, back in Blighty, Mina's friend Lucy is choosing her husband from Arthur, Dr Seward and Quincy; that is, until a certain vampire takes a shine to her neck. Cue the next bride of the undead, who duly has to be slain to stop her evil doings.

Sound familiar? Yes, that's because until this point, the story basically is Dracula, with whole sections being virtually identical. Strange...

Anyway, here's where the mash-up commences. Countess Dracula wants to breathe life into her old sister Elizabeth, so she starts messing with nature, creating a monstrous creature through the power of electricity. This unholy bride horrifies her so much that she flees, leaving the monster to wreak havoc in her stead. As for the rest, well... I won't spoil the ending, but needless to say, the clues are already there in the original texts.

Okay. Deep breath. So what was good about this? Well, let's face it, the original texts lend themselves to cracking storytelling, and the author's approach felt vibrant and passionate. I can always sense a fellow Gothic horror fan from a mile off. Initially, the mash-up didn't work for me at all, but once the monster was created, it suddenly fell into place, and I found myself reading with a lot more urgency. Yes, I admit it, I was gripped!

However, I felt that as a whole, it was too rooted in the originals. There were also moments where I questioned the author's decisions. For example, turning Dracula into a woman didn't really add much; it didn't twist anything on its head at all, and it certainly didn't feel like a feminist statement. Ditto erasing Jonathan Harker and getting Mina to fill his boots (though I did like her character).

Overall though, an entertaining read. And I LOVE that front cover.
Dracula: The Modern Prometheus by Rafael Chandler is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late February.

Chandler takes from the best of both Stoker and Shelley to portray gender-flipped Dracula who has a Transylvanian laboratory and a vengeful, empowered Mina Harker who becomes a vampire hunter after the wrongful death of both her friend, Lucy, and Van Helsing.
Well, finally I’ve tired one of these genre mash up stories. I must admit to be somewhat skeptical of the concept, taking two classic works of fiction and squishing them together in an attempt to produce something new. Or  newish technically. Or just different. But then again popular entertainment never met an idea they didn’t wish to bastardize, sequelize, remake, revisit or just mess with, so here we are. And reading this one was also sort of inspired by the somewhat disappointing new Frankenstein tv show on Netflix. Turns out this book was much easier to get into than the show. The author squished Dracula and Frankenstein together with a distinctly feminist angle, so that all the main protagonists are female. Mina, the intrepid slayer, Countess Dracula and Eve, the creature. Countess Dracula is obsessed with bringing back to life her dear dead sister Elizabeth, so she turns to modern science of reanimating corpses by the means of galvanism and electricity. Dracula is still a vampire too, she’s just a regular Jill of all Trades, a versatile monstress. So you know the stories, you know just how they’ll play out, but it’s still pretty fun. And what a pleasant surprise this book turned out to be. The language was modernized just enough so that the story wasn’t dragged down by the antiquated narration, although the book does maintain a good amount of it for authenticity.  The writing was uniformly good, no idea how creating these sorts of stories works exactly, obviously a good amount of the text was borrowed and the rest heavily inspired, but some work must have gone into remixing it all. Still not sure if I’m sold on the value of mash ups, but if it gets readers excited about classics, that’s something. Maybe it isn’t meant to have an inherent value, maybe it’s just pure entertainment. Either way I liked it, it was a very enjoyable spin on the old prototypes, not sure how one might discuss originality with these sorts of things, but it is a different perspective with a gender switch up. Enjoyable quick read. Thanks Netgalley.
Dracula: The Modern Prometheus is a retelling of both Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein and Bram Stroker’s Dracula with a few new twists by Rafael Chandler. I’m not going to spend time describing the story here because if you’ve read Frankenstein and Dracula you already know it. The reason you would want to get this book is to find out how the author put an original spin on these two literary classics.

I got this book off of Netgalley, what drew me to it was seeing that it was a combination of two horror classics that I love. I also thought it was interesting that the author put the names of the original writers on his book followed by his own. When you first start reading this book it’s obvious that Rafael Chandler wrote it as a labor of love and  he has great affection for the source material along with the time period both books were written in. The language used, the way the characters are presented and the way the book is written makes it feel like the book was written in the 1800’s.

The best part about this book was that it reminded me how much I love the source material and I loved seeing the changes to both that Rafael made. The worst part of the book is that some parts are too close to the source material. There were points that I felt bored reading it because I felt like I’ve heard it before and knew what was coming. A lot of the dialogue between the characters could have been cut and more time should have been spent on Dracula and the monster.

All in all though if you love these two classics then Rafael Chandler’s book is something you are going to want to read. I enjoyed the fact that Harker, The Monster and Dracula were all female. I also liked the changes Rafeal made to the material and how he blended both stories.  The book may have benefited a little by having the author put more of an original spin on it but there was enough of his own voice here to keep me reading. When I finished this book I felt the need to go reread Dracula and Frankenstein and look for an original work by Rafael Chandler.
Interesting take on some classic tales, always adding new twists. A bit longwinded and slow in parts due to the story being told in the arcane narrative style of the era, but overall quite entertaining.