Dracula: The Modern Prometheus

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Mar 2018

I've read various classic mashups (i.e. Pride & Prejudice & Zombies, Little Vampire Women, etc.) and each has their own flair to our beloved classics. This one, though, combines both Dracula and Frankenstein while gender swapping the characters. Lady Dracula is seeking out Mina in order to resurrect her sister Elizabeth through the reanimation of corpses.

I will not spoil all the details, but this mashup stands on its own among the rest of it's horror mashup brothers and sisters. I was skeptical at first, despite the description since it is Dracula and Frankenstein after all. Combining these two is quite a stretch but Rafael pulled it off quite well.

Definitely would...

See Full Review
Fracula?  Dracenstein?  An interesting concept!  This whole book shouldn't have worked, and yet somehow it did.  At times I felt the styles conflicted, but it actually helped to highlight what was original and what was taken from the texts themselves, making it a really unique work of fiction.  It wasn't perfect, but it was definitely a new concept and deserves points just for that!
DNF - Found it really boring. I was hoping for something more.
I really liked how this novel managed to blend some of the most famous horror novels and still managed to find a new and fresh angle to explore.

I really enjoyed reading the original Dracula (I enjoyed Frankenstein far less) and loved the author's fresh take on the characters, especially its re-writing of Mina.

The monsters were interesting, I liked the conflict between Eva and her creator, and would have loved to see more.

I wanted to give this book a full five (5) stars, but the more I think about it I realize I can not do that. The book was good, but just like the original Dracula & Frankenstein it was so hard to read. Rafael Chandler kept the style of writing that Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley and Bram Stoker did in their books and just like those books it was very hard to read. The story line and plots were very well written, but the style of writing is not to my taste. So in such it made it very hard for me to stay enthralled with reading the book.

If you liked the original books, then you will probably enjoy this book. As for me, I was not a fan of the story. Please, don't take this as a review...

See Full Review
I've never been interested in reading about Dracula and Frankenstein, and this book here gave me more and more that makes me wanna keep reading it. it's quite cool.

So I finally read Frankenstein for the first time last year and I thought it was okay. Dracula I read ...sometime in high school and it was honestly until a few years ago the longest most absolutely boring book I had ever read. I love vampires but I haaate the original Dracula book. Actually I ended up giving this book more stars than I gave to either of the originals, but I also had a lot more fun reading it.

This book is a kind of mash-up of Frankenstein and Dracula with most of the main characters gender-swapped. Jonathan is nowhere to be found and instead Mina is the solicitor that goes to meet Dracula, who is also a woman. "Frankenstein's" monster is also a woman...

See Full Review

What a peculiar idea... but oddly engaging nonetheless!

As someone who reads a lot of gothic horror, I was naturally intrigued by the concept of this book. A mash-up of the two behemoths of Gothic literature, you say? My interest was piqued, and so I commenced reading.

It's about the Countess Dracula (yes, you read that correctly), who invites Mina Harker to her castle in Transylvania. She's got a dastardly plan to move to the UK, and Mina is just the solicitor to help her achieve it. Meanwhile, back in Blighty, Mina's friend Lucy is choosing her husband from Arthur, Dr Seward and Quincy; that is, until a certain vampire takes a shine to her neck. Cue the next bride of the...

See Full Review
Dracula: The Modern Prometheus by Rafael Chandler is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in late February.

Chandler takes from the best of both Stoker and Shelley to portray gender-flipped Dracula who has a Transylvanian laboratory and a vengeful, empowered Mina Harker who becomes a vampire hunter after the wrongful death of both her friend, Lucy, and Van Helsing.

Well, finally I’ve tired one of these genre mash up stories. I must admit to be somewhat skeptical of the concept, taking two classic works of fiction and squishing them together in an attempt to produce something new. Or newish technically. Or just different. But then again popular entertainment never met an idea they didn’t wish to bastardize, sequelize, remake, revisit or just mess with, so here we are. And reading this one was also sort of inspired by the somewhat disappointing new Frankenstein tv show on Netflix. Turns out this book was much easier to get into than the show. The author squished Dracula and Frankenstein together with a distinctly feminist angle, so that all the main...

See Full Review

Dracula: The Modern Prometheus is a retelling of both Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein and Bram Stroker’s Dracula with a few new twists by Rafael Chandler. I’m not going to spend time describing the story here because if you’ve read Frankenstein and Dracula you already know it. The reason you would want to get this book is to find out how the author put an original spin on these two literary classics.

I got this book off of Netgalley, what drew me to it was seeing that it was a combination of two horror classics that I love. I also thought it was interesting that the author put the names of the original writers on his book followed by his own. When you first start reading this book it’s obvious...

See Full Review
Interesting take on some classic tales, always adding new twists. A bit longwinded and slow in parts due to the story being told in the arcane narrative style of the era, but overall quite entertaining.