In the Vines

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Jul 2018

Very descriptive writing style, overly so. Each scene is bogged down with so much unnecessary detail it becomes boring. The plot is exciting as it does pull you in, but the long descriptive prose is just too much. I found myself skim reading the last half of the story
This book was SCARY, way more than I expected, and I read a lot of thrillers. It was good, but it was also bizarre at times. I'm still not sure exactly how I feel about it.
was a gripping thriller that took you to every aspect of trying to figure out what was really going on  and what was going to happen next! This was such an amazing book and I can’t wait to see what else is released from this author!
Did Not Finish.
I really struggled with this book, I just could not get into it. I found it really difficult to follow what was going on, due to my confusion, I couldn't enjoy it. I spoke to a fellow reader who advised to carry on as it gets really good once the main story arc arrives, but sadly, I'd lost complete interest, I'd read two thirds of the book and was lost, and struggling,
Mop as she is known wants closure on the sad, tragic death of her mother. And returns to the mansion of her now eccentric, cloistered aunt. The aunt who was very close to her and looked on her as the daughter she never had.

The story is convoluted because the deeper mop goes to solve the mystery of her mother's death, the more she unravels, none of which are acceptable or palatable to her. Is digging deeper really what she wants to still pursue.

The story starts off in one way and ends in another. Gothic, creepy and how power and position can hide secrets more effectively than anything else can.

Not an easy comfortable read, but a very intriguing one.
DNF - unfortunately I could not keep myself interested in this one past 23%. I found it extremely overwritten to the point of distracting and not intriguing enough to want to know more.
This was a strange, creepy book told by two POVs, which I enjoyed. The atmosphere build and builds up to a truly shocking conclusion. The writing was engaging, the characters well developed and the story cleverly plotted. Recommended!
4.5 stars- I will admit that I was a little weary when I started reading In The Vines because so many bookstagrammers were giving it all the hype but I thought it was going to be a slow read. I quickly realized that it was one of those “it’s not you, it’s me” moments and I ended up LOVING this book. In The Vines by Shannon Kirk is a haunting and beautifully written story that will absorb you in its pages. It's thought-provoking, addictive, and atmospheric. I highly recommend this book! It will stay with you well after you’ve finished reading it.

Thank you NetGalley, Shannon Kirk, and Thomas & Mercer for the opportunity to read In The Vines. It was my pleasure to write an honest review.
I tried multiple times getting into this book and I eventually had to mark it as DNF (did not finish). It was confusing and written poorly—the sentences were so short and choppy. I felt like I was getting a headache each time I tried reading it. I made it to page 100 but could never get past that.
Thank you to Netgalley for the opportunity to read this advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.

This book was sort of odd. I was initially drawn to it due to the cover. It was sort of creepy and rotated between two narrators. While it was quite strange, I ended up liking it.
Mary Olivia Pentecost, known as Mop, is who this book starts with. She is hiding in a burned cellar, along with someone else, a companion, while a mad woman holding a bloody hatchet is ramagings her Aunty’s lawn looking for them. That’s quite a scene to start a crazy book like this one!

The story goes like this. Two years after her mother has died, Mop is seeking closure, by driving to her Aunty’s New England estate. Aunty Liv used to be the closest relative Mop had, besides her mother. She practically lived in the Aunty’s house, when not in the family Rye estate. And so was her mother.

However, the person Mop finds is not the Aunty Liv she once knew and cherished. She has changed and the secrets she has been keeping for two years now have come to haunt her. How many secrets can a wealthy family have and how can they affect Mop’s life? She is about to find out!

Shannon Kirk has her own writing style that can drive a reader mad, until they understand what is actually happening. In this one, Kirk has created a dark Gothic atmosphere to support her narration.

The games a mind can play on a person are the protagonist here. Several of those have been going through the main characters, creating this creepy, crazy setting the book lies on. It’s when you lose track of time and reality and even yourself that unexpected things happen. The main characters are as crazy as hell, and that’s an understatement! Past events, have led to the awful horrible situation Mop finds herself in the very first chapter, but they are also hidden behind what happened two years ago, during the night of the fire and maybe a couple days earlier.
In Shannon Kirk's in the Vines, this standalone thriller will have you tangled in a patch of thorny vines from start to finish. For Mary Olivia Pentecost, aka MOP, she was born in a wealthy and guarded family in the New England region. She just graduated in college and madly in love with her boyfriend, Manny Acista, who's also wealthy and well-known too. But since her mother's mysterious death two years ago, she had always wondered what happened to her, since she was an only child and really close to her mother.  Besides her aunt, a former nun named Mary Patience, and another aunt, Lynnette Viola (Liv for short), they knew the secrets of what happened then and what had happened now. For Liv, she was in love with a married man and had plotted to frame his wife for a murder. She had kept the secret clutched to her chest until MOP discovers a big secret. She would do anything to keep it from her when the truth had unraveled before her eyes. Not only that her mother was alive for two years, awakened and weak from a coma, but her aunt's rival pulled a surprise of her own. In the end, both Liv and MOP fight for their lives to keep it unwrapped with a shocking ending.
Mop is dealing with tragic death of her mother after a fire when her car breaks down outside her estranged Aunty Liv’s estate. Mop has not seen or heard from her aunt since her mother’s death and has no idea why. The story alternates perspectives between Mop and Liv and goes back and forth between present day and the time preceding the fire. What follows are lots of twists and turns and a completely jaw dropping outcome.

Wow, where to begin. This was one roller coaster of a ride and I could not get enough. First off, Shannon Kirk is a master at imagery. I am used to skimming over books that have an abundance of irrelevant, extraneous detail, but I did not miss one word of this. The writing is poetic in it’s unique beauty and it is obvious that Kirk is an exceptional writer.

At first I was a little confused by the alternating time periods, but this was quickly resolved once I realized that this is a device employed by the author to convey the franticness of the situation. Shannon Kirk is an absolutely brilliant writer, flawlessly portraying the Liv’s complicated personality in her first person narratives. Because Liv is an extremely unreliable narrator, there were times that I did not know what was true and what wasn’t, but it all came together rather shockingly in the end. There are definitely scenes of graphic violence, so this is not for readers who prefer cozies or gentler plot lines. I found this completely unpredictable and I loved every dark sordid minute of it! 5 solid stars!

Many thanks to Netgalley, Thomas & Mercer, and Shannon Kirk for providing me with a complimentary e-copy ARC in exchange for an honest review.
Meh...

The writing style and I just didn't get along too well unfortunately.

What I liked:
-The author did a great job with creating a Gothic, dark setting that I could visualize.
-The characters were certainly unique; both flawed and memorable.

What I didn't like:
-There was a lot going on here, with all the different characters, past and present, as well as different story lines that didn't seamlessly come together for me.
-It felt like some of the violence, language, and horror throughout was over the top.
-All the scenes with the character labeled 'companion'. Was I not supposed to figure out who this was until it was revealed at the very END of the book?

This book has a lot of fans, so don't let this review throw you off. Give it a go-maybe you will have better luck than I did.

ARC provided by NetGalley
After seeing lots of hype about this book, I was excited to read it. The writing and plot  are unusual and I liked the dark, gothic undertone throughout. Unfortunately, I just didn’t engage with this book as much as I would have liked. I stuck with it but found it a struggle. A solid 3 stars.
Wow! I really should have saved this for my thriller in the fall read! But this just wet my appetite for fall...and hopefully more good stories like this! Enjoyed this very much!

In the Vines by Shannon Kirk
My rating: 4 of 5 stars

Mop, as she is known, shared close bond with her  mother and Aunty Viv. She returns to the families estate two years after being devastated by her mother's death, only to discover that Aunty Viv may be harbouring some dark secrets. She is not the only one, what secret is her other aunt, the former nun hiding? Mop is a member of one of the three wealthiest families and they have used their money and influence to bury the secrets she wants to uncover.
I found the story and prose utterly compelling, the descriptions, as they should, create a forboding ambience without leaving the reader feeling hopeless. The characters are flawed but understandably so and well-developed. They leave you wondering whose perception is actually reality. The timeline switches seamlessly between two years in the past and the present, as with the point of view between Mop and Aunty Liv.
This is a psychological suspense novel and not the one of the usual glut of psychological thrillers which we have been inundated with, supremely readable and well-written. I was also please to read an actual ending as opposed to the popular ambiguous endings.
Thank you to #Netgalley #Intothevines and Thomas & Mercer Publishing for the copy!
This is a powerful psychological thriller that I could  not put down. It was a twisting turn of events and family secrets that made for a interesting read.
In The Vines  the lead character  is  Mary Oliver Pentecost, known as Mop, and her beloved Aunty Liv. The story  switches between two years ago and the present, where Mop’s life is in danger from a  psychopath. Family secrets come out  that cause current day problems for MOP as she deals with this life event.
This is a build up of family events that give the book rising tension and a look at how tragic family events can shape a families future.
I liked the outstanding narrative descriptions of the family estates and  coast.  The story was thrilling. A definitive read for everyone who likes a psychological thriller.

Very well done to the author. Thank you for the ARC which does not influence my review. .
Oh, wow! In The Vines was outstanding!! I could not get enough of this book and I would love to see a duology if not a trilogy and see how those Vandonbeer genetics evolve in MOP?! I think she is a bit more like Aunty Liv than maybe she thinks.

In The Vines is a beautifully written (lyrical!) book about Mary Olivia Pentecost, or Mop for short and her Aunty Liv whom has been her best friend, next to her mom, since childhood. She has come back to Aunty Liv's sprawling, gothic estate to find closure and also to find out exactly what happened to her mother the night that she died. Throughout her search she unearths many dark family secrets and as she finds herself in imminent danger, she soon realizes she is in way over her head and she maybe should not have started pulling that string as it all begins to unravel and fall apart.

In The Vines is dark, disturbing, exciting and I absolutely could not put it down!. I had to stop myself from constantly reading parts to my husband (which I did) and then asking him, "WHO thinks like that? I love this author!" and then there was the audio book..... Janie, Mary and Joseph! The audio book is a MUST have! I did make my husband listen to much of Aunty Liv's internal dialogue. This was fantastic! The book on its own was a very well written solid read and the audio only added that much more and was so very realistic and exciting!

I am absolutely looking forward to reading more of Shannon Kirk's work.

Special thanks to Netgalley and Thomas And Mercer Publishing for an opportunity to read and review In The Vines.
I saw a lot of hype about this book on Facebook and Goodreads, and was quite drawn in by the plot description.  It pains me so much to leave a one-star review, but getting through this book was a real struggle for me.  I was obviously intrigued enough by the mystery aspect of the narration to finish the book, but I felt that the storyline was really all over the place.  Not only the jumping between time periods and characters points of view, but also just the structure of the book itself.  I could follow, but just barely, and I found the writing to be a bit too flowery for my taste.  I can see why there are many positive reviews, but the writing style just didn't work for me like it worked for others.