From the Corner of the Oval

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 10 Sep 2018

Very interesting viewpoint of behind the scenes of the Whitehouse.  I never thought of a stenographer as one of the presidents staff. This book will keep you reading long after bedtime. It has heart, friends and heartbreak
An incredible memoir that reminded me of Scandal (in it's better days). This book is the perfect blend of political insider memoir meets Sex in the City. It is a fantastic look at the inner workings of the Obama administration without a boring bit to be found.

This memoir is a fun look at what it was like having a front seat to history as a White House stenographer during the Obama presidency. Beck joined the team prior to the 2012 campaign season. I laughed out loud often reading this book, especially at her descriptions of Washington and some of her experiences traveling with the president. I also cried in solidarity of her pain, and the last bit of the book beginning with a trip to New York in September 2016 through Innauguration Day had tears rolling down my cheeks.

I really enjoy memoirs in general, but especially political memoirs, and this one did not disappoint! I heard this book has been optioned to be turned into a TV show or movie...

See Full Review
I loved this behind the scenes look into authors life and also in the White House and presidency. No matter who you voted for  this book is quite funny and breathtakingly honest. I'm so impressed. Highly recommend.
Thanks to author, publisher and NetGalley for the chance to read this book. While I got the book for free, it had no bearing on the rating I gave it.
Beck surprisingly gets THIS job, shows up every day , figures out who’s who and what’s what and, in spite of the vaGIANTS, makes it her own.Compulsively readable, you CARE about these 20-somethings who commit to this 24-7 lifestyle for the thrill, the travel, the “life in the bubble”. Luckily, Beck kept notes (her journals) so we can share in her goods and bads....men don’t seem to be any more understandable in DC....but... the boys were right.....this woman can write...you GO girl!

4.5 stars for this.

Beck Dorey-Stein was a twenty-something former teacher unsure of not only what she wanted to do with her future, but whether she'd even be able to find a job to sustain her until she figured out her life. Living in Washington, DC to be closer to her boyfriend, she cobbles together a number of part-time jobs to make ends meet, but she's envious of those who know what they want.

When she answers a Craigslist posting for a job, she figures it won't amount to anything. She's more than shocked to find out that this isn't a random clerical job—it's a position as a stenographer in the Obama White House. Stenographers don't take dictation...

See Full Review
I devoured this book. Beck pulls us along on her journey into the Obama administration from her vantage point as a stenographer. Access to the history-making moments and the people who made them was fascinating. The relationship sagas woven into the snapshots of history was icing on the cake. This is a memoir but reads like fiction. The writing is smart and well developed. The end came too soon and left me mourning (along with Beck) the end of Obama’s time all over again. A must read for anybody who wants a closer look into the lives of White House staffers deftly told from the vantage point of someone living in the middle of it.