Writing Your First Novel

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 16 Apr 2018

This book is filled with great information and perfect for an up and coming new writer! Well written and easy to read.
Writing Your First Novel by John Reynolds is a very basic guide to getting started on that novel you've always intended to write.  If you are not a natural writer and have no idea where to start, you might find this this book helpful as you begin.  However, if you are a reader and write some, this book will not bring much new information to you.  As a writer, I don't find this book very helpful.  I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher.  These opinions are entirely my own.
When a published author shares their writing process with you, it's a good thing. Anyone that's thinking of writing that first novel, or are editing that first novel, then this is a good book to help you get through that process.
I would say this book is a great read for those interested in the industry and just starting out. John uses his background as a writer to give very helpful advice on how to write while keeping it easy to read and enjoyable. I don't know if this is a book for someone who has been in the industry already or read a lot of books like this, but it is called Writing Your FIRST Novel, so it does exactly what it's meant to do-- Help you as a beginner to write your first novel.

I would recommend this to those who are looking for a straight to the point kind of help. Personally, I loved that approach! Great book John!
Very inspiring book for a would-be novel writer. It’s full of great advice, especially about how to create a novel that can grasp the attention of the reader and motivate him to keep turning the pages to find out how it ends. I’ve read many similar books, but what I’ve found most interesting is the last part of the book completely dedicated to the publication and promotion of your novel. Once you’ve completed your novel, the hardest part is to get published, especially if you don’t have a track record. So Reynolds has included in his book a series of indications on how to convince a publishing house to at least consider your novel and maybe to publish it.
This is a short book and an easy read with some useful information for somebody who was thinking of writing their first novel.   But this book, is one of many on how to write a novel, and it is not even alone in being a book aimed at the novice writer.  I do feel that  it doesn't have anything special to make it stand out from the crowd.
Personally having never tried to write dialogue since school, the chapter entitled Your Dialogue was a useful primer for the subject.  Also having never thought about writing sex scenes that chapter was fairly illuminating on the subject.
There are too many unnecessary examples from the authors own work, they seem a little like filler and also as if he is just trying to impress us with his writing to improve his own book sales.  I skipped past most of them.  More interesting where the examples from acclaimed works such as the colour purple .

Non fiction books, especially concise ones on any subject are greatly improved by having a further reading section at the back.  What this book has instead are the books that he has taken examples from listed and the classic  The Elements of Style by William Strunk mentioned in the grammar section. In my opinion this is not sufficient.

This is the first book I have read on this subject.  I would have been naive to think that a 133 page booklet would give me all the information I needed to write a book, because it doesn’t.  I would have been much happier with this book if it had provided the readers with recommendations for further reading.
I found this book to be very helpful to a new writer.  I am looking forward to using this as a reference  for my writing. There are a lot of good and helpful idea's for a newbie.
This book would be better suited to new readers and those participating in NaNoWriMo for the first time. There really isn't much new here that can't be found FREELY online or in other paid books that offer a bit more depth. I was dismayed that the examples were exclusively from the author's works which I have not read.
Being a self published poet and author myself, I am always wanting to expand my knowledge and learn new tricks other trade by different authors. This book had that and more. John walks the writer through each stage of the process with clear intent I would recommend this book to any upcoming writer or even the Polish writer could pick up a few good tricks.
I found this book helpful. Is it the most original informational book ever? Maybe not. However, I loved how John related back to his life an experience. I will be rereading when different parts become more revelant in my writing process. Overall I feel as though this is a great great for first time writers.
Sure, it covers all the basic questions but it doesn’t give you that little extra you need, something that could make your book stand out and be one of a kind.
Still, to novel writing virgins, this is a great help. It will give new authors a confidence boost and hey, if it only helps one person write a novel, i’ll consider this book a success.
John Reynolds does a great job at breaking down the writing process. He goes over every possible question an upcoming writer may have. No matter what genre you hope to use write Reynolds explains what points need to be addressed. He also explains the importance of the title and the cover and ultimately how to get published. I think this is a great resource.
The old saying is those who can DO and those who can't... well John Reynolds can do BOTH.
Using his own books as an example, along with the first sentences, titles and major points from other popular authors, John tells it like it is. From the dream of being a writer, to the scheduling and commitment it takes, all the way through to finish, review and rewrite, this is a mini class in convenient form.
I have been a writer, editor and life long reader and I learned something about the process while reading this book.

Thank you to Netgalley for this opportunity to read and review.
Writing your first novel gives all the basic advice for a novice in the writing business. John Reynolds tells he basis his advice on his own experience. This makes the advice very hands on, but also in some cases quite location specific. I'd say this is a good introduction into writing your first novel, but it wouldn't hurt to look for more information elsewhere too.
As always, it’s wonderful when the title tells you everything you need to know.
Despite different names for some of the terms, this is pretty much the same format as most books and classes on writing. It didn’t help that a lot of the examples were from the author’s novels, which I have not read.
On the other hand, the end section on publishing was more useful, but his calling for a full-blown block party for a launch gets a little silly.
I love reading. I love writing. And there's nothing I like more than reading about writing. I've read hundreds of books of this type, and as such it didn't offer much I didn't already know, but I'm probably not its target reader. If I was coming to it cold, not sure how to embark on writing a first novel, I would have found it very useful. In any case, it was a short but very entertaining read and I would recommend it.

I received a copy through Netgally in exchange for an honest review.
On the surface, Writing Your First Novel is a basic how-to guide for those deciding to take the plunge and write and publish their first book. Personally, I didn't get a lot out of this book, but I do see how a novice in the field would benefit from the insights provided in this book.

I did really enjoy John's style. This was a fast read and he covers a lot of ground in a simple, straight forward style. Very relatable. I would recommend this book to any novice author, or anyone curious about the industry.
I thought this was well-written and the subject thoroughly gone over despite the briefness. I preferred it to be directly to the point versus some of the available books on this topic out there that are extremely eloquent.
WRITING YOUR FIRST NOVEL is a guide for novice writers who are just dipping their toes into the novel crafting pool offering practical advice and examples to add to their practical and creative skillset.

The positives of WRITING YOUR FIRST NOVEL include:

>> The clear formatting: with defined subheadings, readers can jump into the sections that feel most relevant to where they've reached as a writer, making this a quick and accessible read.
>> The workshopped contents: breaking down what the author accomplished in his work, as well as that of other esteemed writers, writing skills are stripped down to their finest mechanisms.
>> The style: the author always ensures that his own language and advice remain relatable and grounded, informative yet conversational.

However, there are also a number of elements that could have been expanded upon or developed further. For instance, there were times when the prose passages selected to workshop perhaps didn't provide the best possible examples of the theme being discussed, or the effects of the passages themselves were not considered too closely. Likewise, there were times where it felt as if points could be unpacked further; it seemed as if it was only scraping the surface of mastering this craft, offering only a fleeting, superficial consideration of how to improve as a writer.

Granted, as an experienced writer this response is coming from someone who has been afforded the time and opportunities to reach the technical depth at which this writing stops short. Nevertheless, although this work has only been offered 2 stars (predominantly due to this lack of exploration) I would still recommend it for any writers taking the initial step to constructing a first novel, who may feel a bit overwhelmed by how to actually accomplish this goal. It simply wasn't for me.
Writing your first novel is a self help book for (mainly) new writers. The author has written his own novels and draws from that experience to provide an insight into the world of writing and publishing.

There are sixteen chapters in this book which cover many different aspects of writing from Writing what you know to Dialogue to Resources to name but a few.

Most chapters pull substantially on his own novels to show the reader how to write or market their own novel.  The resources chapters gives you a number of people he recommends you send your novel to (lots of expense I would guess if you did it all) before you publish it. He explains the difference between traditional, vanity and self publishing, needing an ISBN and marketing (more expense again)!

From my view as a normal book reader, I now appreciate how many elements there are to getting a book published, so I would think this book is a good basic start for any budding author.

I received this book from netgalley in return for a honest review.