Blind Luck

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 11 Mar 2018

Blind luck by Dave Stanton.
This was a good read with good characters.  Found it slow in places.  4*.
This is the second book in the Dan Reno series, and it just gets better.  The book is full of action, and keeps you hooked from the beginning to the end, and I can't wait to get my hands on the next one!
This is the second book in the Dan Reno series and I have enjoyed them both. This book for me could easily be read as a stand alone but the first one is definitely worth a read if you are looking to read the whole series.

The plot in this book is great, it is well paced and I really enjoyed the story. The characters are work really well with this plot, and Dan is a really great character, I am really liking him and his way of working and there is certainly a lot of action and entertainment when he is around! I loved how the suspense built towards the end of the book and the finale was very good.

Four stars to this one from me - I am really enjoying this series and looking forward to reading the next book!!
When Jimmy Homestead wins millions in the lottery, his life is about to change forever. Not in the least because he thinks his charm and the added money incentive will increase his luck but also because almost everyone in his (former) life cannot wait to get their hands on the money and they don’t ask nicely… It’s payback time!

| Introduction |
Dan Reno 2

A man least deserving of winning the lottery becomes an overnight millionaire. A sexy blonde who is used to getting her way by manipulating the men she encounters. An aggressive man and one who has lost almost everything. Oh, and we have Mexican criminals, drugs, lots of booze, sex and brutal violence.    Interested? Follow me and enter the world of PI Dan Reno…

| Storyline |
Let’s face it: Jimmy Homestead has made a lot of enemies in his life. Most people would rather sooner than later see the back of him. But winning millions of money can do wonders… There is Jimmy’s stepmother, the gorgeous blonde Sheila whose looks can attract ‘whole ZIP codes’ (loosely translating the thoughts of Dan Reno’s friend, ex-cop Cody Gibbons). She tells Reno her stepson is missing and she wants him to find Jimmy. But Reno, not being aware of Jimmy’s lottery luck, suspects there is more to her story – somehow Sheila playing the concerned parent is not totally convincing.

Then there’s Jimmy’s violent brother, Marty with his explosive character, fresh from prison. Also, Jimmy’s father, John, decides it would be nice to retire in luxury. Almost each party feels the need to hire a private eye – the detective business is booming! Violence and murderous intentions are close by when two nasty criminals, one with slightly more brain cells than the other, decide it is time Jimmy paid them back what is long overdue and someone thinks. involving vicious Mexican drugs criminals might be a good idea… What if I told you others too are scheming to take Jimmy’s lottery money away? Private eye Dan Reno has his hands full investigating whilst keeping his friend, Cody, alive…

| My Thoughts |
Blind Luck is the second Dan Reno detective thriller, the first for me to read. There are so many characters in this thriller that it is at times difficult to follow all the lines – the topics of the novel vary from domestic abuse to rape, from shattered dreams and childhoods to sadistic killers and sexual predators. It is difficult to empathise with almost any character as the author describes them sometimes from a more distant perspective or in a matter-of-fact writing style – on top of that, each has a more or less darker side and the criminals seem to be on both sides of the law (figuratively speaking). The book is a mixture of a third person perspective and a one person narrative, the voice of Dan Reno.

Obviously, Reno is the good guy but he is such a tough cookie with a sarcastic voice that you can’t but roll your eyes at some of his, let’s call them adventures. His good friend, Cody Gibbons, sound s like a bear of a man but also a bit naive. As for the other characters, you’ll have to make up your own mind… Blind Luck is a fast-paced action thriller filled with violence and murderous intents, sex, intolerance, pretty low morals and a touch of sentiment combined with a dark sense of humour – a rollercoaster of a ride!

Although ‘Blind Luck’ is the second book in the Dan Reno series, it can be perfectly read as a standalone – I did so and there were a few references to Dan and Cody’s previous adventures but they had no impact on this thriller’s plotline.
Wow!  That really sums up how I feel about this book!  Here we have 3 MC's that are lovable , sort of broken in different ways, and easy to root for.  I didn't want this one to end.
And the story?  Very different and compelling.  Great read all around!
Well another great Dan Reno thriller - can’t wait to read the rest.  What a great fun read, easy to read and well written.  Often making me laugh out loud at the pictures that are described. I would recommend these book to everyone who enjoys a thriller, they flow well and keep the suspense until the end.  Dan Reno is an anti hero, I am still not sure if he is a good guy or a baddie - but I am happy to keep on reading about his exploits
This is the second book in the series, my review of the first can be found here, but this one works really well as a standalone book as well.

The story starts off with a man, Jimmy, winning a lot of money and all the people he has wronged in the past suddenly appear.  Jimmy then gets kidnapped, which is where Reno comes in.

We find out about Jimmy’s past and all the people who are after him and why.  Mostly though I felt sorry for, and mad for, Jimmy in equal measures for his actions and also the fact that all these people are only after him now that he has money.

The book is brilliant as it is full of action, adventure and violence, which is all non-stop and made the book a very easy read.

Overall I would recommend this book to anyone who likes adventure and action books.
It's safe to say that this is an action packed story that led me on quite a journey as Dan Reno is hired to try and find Jimmy who recently won the lottery. Even if you haven't read the first book in the series I think Blind Luck still works as a standalone. Although to get the full picture and background of events then of course it could be a good idea to start at the beginning.

Reno as ever finds trouble or possibly it finds him either way this makes for a thrilling story with twists and surprises popping up along the way. I managed to read this book pretty quickly as the pace is fast and lively. There are a few characters to follow with some pretty nasty individuals. I have to mention Jimmy as he was an interesting character but not necessarily very likeable. Although since winning the lottery his life becomes very complicated and not in a good way.

It really was great to catch up with Reno and his friend Cody. I thought you also got to know him just that little bit better than in book one. I can't wait to see what is in store for Cody and Dan in the next book!

Fast and furious action along with trouble around every corner. Blind Luck will take you on quite a journey!

Four stars from me!

With thanks to Sarah at Bloodhound Books for my copy. This is my honest and unbiased opinion.
Well, here we are, with the welcome return of Dan Reno, Bounty Hunter, P.I and all round tough guy! Blind Luck is the second book in the Dan Reno series and follows on shortly after the events of the first book. If you haven’t read the first in the series (Stateline) then, fear not, this one can easily be read as a standalone.

The story begins with Reno’s bank account starting to run dry and in desperate need of replenishment. As luck would have it, he is asked to help find Jimmy Homestead, a recent lottery winner to the tune of $43 million. Knowledge of this big win soon brings a number of undesirable folks to the surface, the majority of which are all members of Jimmy’s family, and Reno soon finds himself as a reluctant participant in the race for the prize.

Full of action from the get go, Blind Luck didn’t hang about in lining up all the main players as we toured some of the less salubrious haunts of the region. There are a number of great characters in this book, mainly of the lowlife variety, that all have their own interesting story lines as they search for the elusive Jimmy Homestead, and you start to wonder whether it really was all that lucky for him to win the lottery in the first place.

After the frenetic start to the story, things do pause for breath a little in the middle, before ramping up again for what is an action packed finale. Throughout reading this book, I couldn’t get it out of my head that this would make a fantastic movie. If somebody like Guy Ritchie were to get their hands on this then I’m sure they’d do a great job with the mix of action, thriller and caper that is so prevalent within the book.

I’ll not give anything away on the finale itself, other than the fact that it should carry a health warning for those in on the hunt for Jimmy Homestead and that it also sets Reno up nicely for book #3 in the series.

Blind Luck was a highly enjoyable read that backed up my enjoyment of the first book, and I’m really looking forward to seeing what lies in store for Reno in book 3!!
This is the first Dan Reno book that I’ve read and it was pretty good.
Dan is a private investigator and is hired by Sheila who is looking for her stepson, Jimmy.
Jimmy has recently won millions on the lotto so Sheila feels she is entitled to some of the money.
There are other people in the area who also feel that Jimmy owes them money too and at one point there’s about three different groups of people all trying to find him.
Jimmy is portrayed as a lowlife and whilst he builds bridges with his Dad, you still get the impression that he’s not going to change.
The story comes to a breathtaking conclusion and I loved the ending.
Thanks to Bloodhound Books and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.
Jimmy thinks his luck is in! He can live the life he feels he has always deserved.
Out of the woodwork come the snakes, sniping on his helps wanting justification for his past and their involvement with him.
 A tangled woven tale of who shall get to him first, comes to play. It really is a game of cat and mouse.
Who is going to get to Jimmy first?
Reno has his hands full trying to find where Jimmy is, and then keep the game a safe play.
This was a dangerous place for him to be and a great follow on from the previous read.
Reno is a flawed, but fabulous character to read about.
 I thoroughly enjoyed this tense and thrilling read.
I will be ready to download the next book in the series as soon as it is available.
DAN IS BACK! Blind Luck is book two in the Dan Reno series and can be read as a standalone but with all series’s are best read in order. Yet again I was immersed into Dan’s PI (Private Investigator) world.

Another action packed story. Blind Luck contains many fights, guns, whores, gambling, deaths, crashes, and even an explosion! Blind Luck will keep you on the edge of your seat and immersed throughout.

Poor Jimmy is the most wanted man ever after winning the lottery and everyone wants to get their hands on him and his money no matter what the costs, some will kill for it. I actually felt sorry for Jimmy as everyones just using him for his money… Dan always seems to be in the wrong place at the wrong time or maybe thats just how Dan will always be… A little trouble maker for the police among the investigations.

I awarded a well deserved four stars and I am enjoying this series and cannot wait to see what lies ahead for Dan in this series. Highly recommend this series so far, I am loving Dan’s character. Another well written, fast paced story to devour.
Blind Luck is the second book in the Dan Reno series. Whilst some people may benefit from reading Stateline, the first in the series, I wouldn’t say it was a must as the author gives enough background as to what happens in the first book so you won’t feel like you’re missing out.

I really enjoyed the whole story line to do with someone winning the lottery. What a win as well! $43 million dollars is without a doubt a life changing amount of money. It is hard not to start imagining what you would do with that kind of win fall.

Jimmy probably isn’t the most deserving person to win the lottery. He is a bit of a loser. You know the saying, boys and their toys? I could understand the cars but the whole paying people for sex thing, just made me think what a jerk he was. I did feel a bit sorry for him though, as all of a sudden he gets very popular and everyone wants to share his wealth.

I could very much see this book as a film. It reminded me a bit of the Dirty Harry films or films from that sort of era.

Blind Luck is certainly an entertaining read that had a few surprises in store. There is plenty of action to keep you hooked and certainly interested to see after this one, what other cases Dan and Cody are going to find themselves working on.