The Love Letter

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 15 Aug 2018

The story was a little hard to follow in the beginning - who was who, and what era were we in? Once I finally got everything straight, then there was a lot of religious aspects that came in that made me uncomfortable. Someone who is very religious might enjoy it more than I did.
It has been a difficult read, I had struggles in getting into the story, and feeling the character’s emotions. What’s worse is the genre, it’s Historical and Christian Fiction, it’s just not my cup of tea but maybe for those who are into this genre, they would enjoy this.

Also, my admiration for book covers are high than the content itself, I should’ve read and thought twice before requesting this book.
Thank you NetGalley and the Arc.  This was a little different book for me, but I enjoyed it nevertheless!
Solid read with a great story and interesting tie in to history.
With the colonies at war and his country divided, Hamilton Lightfoot must choose whether to fight for the British Crown or for the Independence of America. But, after witnessing his family's death at the hands of the Redcoats, he fears that he'll be fighting for revenge instead of more honorable reasons. The night before a great battle, he writes a letter to Esther, the woman he loves. Esther Longfellow is in love with Hamilton but her father is a loyalist and in the employ of a wealthy British lord. When the Revolutionary War appears at their doorsteps, Esther finds herself having to choose between her father and the man she loves.

After a life-altering tragedy, Jesse Gates decides to leave his old life behind and go to Hollywood to try his luck as an actor. When he finds an old love letter written by one of his ancestors, he's consumed by the story and writes a screenplay based on the lost love of previous generations.
Chloe Daschle is the daughter of Hollywood royalty, a great director and an Oscar-winning actress. But that doesn't mean her career has turned out the way she planned. Chloe has been dubbed the queen of death scenes. Trying to break away from typecasting, she accepts a role in a Revolutionary war film, even as she longs for both the perfect role and true love. Does happily ever after only exist in the movies? When Jesse meets, Chloe, the woman cast as Esther, his great grandfather's true love, in his movie, the stories of both Hamilton and Esther, and Jesse and Chloe intersect in a way that only God could have brought together. The love letter from the past may have the power to affect their future in more ways than anyone could have imagined.

I just finished this amazing story and enjoyed every second of it. I have read Rachel's Royal Wedding series and enjoyed it a great deal but The Love Letter is completely on another level! It was so well written and the characters were just so relatable. It definitely carried a wonderful message about how God's plan for us is always infinitely better than what we may choose for ourselves. I loved both Hamilton & Esther's story and Jesse & Chloe's. I really related to both Chloe and Esther in so many ways. Really it was just the sweetest story and I'm so glad I got the chance to read it!
This was WONDERFUL! What a lovely book. Thank you so much for letting me read it. I have read many of the authors books but it had been a while. A gentle read to add to the backlist.
This book has a double timeline. It pops back and forth from 1780 to the present. Putting Hollywood tied to the War for Independence and in the process managed to create a very dramatic filled storyline. It's a love letter that creates a movie. However, that's when it gets bumpy. The characters can be repetitive and sometimes one story took away from the other one. Separately, the two stories are reasonable ones, if I could just get past the repeated issues that Chole was stuck on. Honestly, just don't take any more "dying" roles and that solves that problem.

While I liked it, it was missing just enough to get a 3.5 star review from me.
Beautiful story written in both the past and present. I really enjoyed how the author was able to link both timelines together. One story is more historical fiction, while the other more contemporary, so it can appeal to more types of readers.I'm a sucker for a good love story!
Ester and Hamilton were once childhood friends who fell in love. Unfortunately Ester's father does not approve of Hamilton, and has put her in the position that she must chose sides. Will she go against her fathers wishes, or follow her heart and chose Hamilton.
Chloe is an actress who has been given a script for a historical love story, and the female lead is Ester Kingsley. The director is Jesse, and he was inspired to write this screenplay after reading the letter.
The connection between the two stories is the love letter from Hamilton to Esther. Such a sweet story, I know fans of Susan Meissner and Kate Quinn will enjoy this book.
I am a relatively new fan of Rachel Hauck and I thoroughly enjoyed The Love Letter.. This dual-timeline story melds a modern storyline with an early-American one of love, forgiveness and most of all, grace and redemption. It is definitely a story I will enjoy reading again. It is a story of characters who seek one thing, but through their journey the discover something much better and something much more satisfying..  I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
Such a sweet story and I loved how the storylines intertwined. The stories were artfully told. While both were enjoyable, I loved the twists and turns in the Revolutionary War story most. A read that will delight those who love a slip time story that ties disparate characters and arcs together.
This was a very emotional story. I liked Eather’s story more than Jesse’s. I love how Esther is torn between her family and Hamilton. I also loved the setting of the Revolutionary War. I thought the author did an excellent job in portraying the political turmoil between a loyalist and a revolutionary. I highly recommend this for fans of Bette Bolte, Lucinda Riley, and Melanie Dobson.
Thank you to netgalley I received this as an ARC. I enjoyed it very much was good solid read. Solid 3.5 Stars for me!
The Love Letter was a great book in that it was a book about the present and the past all at one time.  This guy looks back at his family heritage and brings it to the present.  I really liked all the switching between the story’s original timing and the present timing of how the family story was being seen and experienced. The romance was fun to watch unfold with all the twists and turns.  As a historical enthusiast, the historical Revolutionary War side of this book was really captivating because of the sides that can be taken.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.
I am not a huge fan of dual timeline stories, and perhaps I should have skipped this one. But I am a fan of Rachel Hauck and, despite the separate-but-connected storylines, found many things to enjoy in The Love Letter.

Hamilton is a fantastic hero. I liked that he wasn’t the quintessential alpha male. Hamilton’s struggles feel real and authentic and makes him even more likeable.

The current day romance set in Hollywood could have felt over the top and unrelatable to those of us who don’t live in a big city or famous town. Hauck did a great job creating down-to-earth, believable characters in Jesse and Chloe.

I probably wouldn’t read this book again, but only because of my personal preferences, not because of Hauck’s writing. She created a beautiful and poignant past and present story which readers are sure to enjoy.

I was provided an Advanced Reader Copy of this novel. All opinions are my
own.
The Love Letter by Rachel Hauck
Source: Netgalley
My Rating: 4½/5 stars

**MINI-REVIEW**

The Bottom Line:  While I generally love a book where the past meets the present, I had a hard time with that concept in this book.  What I found difficult to deal with is the fact that Esther and Hamilton’s story is so compelling it can easily stand on its own as a proper historical fiction.  While I liked, Chloe and Jesse well enough, I don’t feel like their contemporary journey added at all to the overall read. I often found myself rushing through the Chloe and Jesse chapters, so I could get back to the Esther and Hamilton chapters.  Between the Revolutionary War setting, the emotional conflict, and the inevitable parting of ways, I found Esther and Hamilton to be absolutely fascinating.  What’s more, the ending!!  I am a huge fan of a good epilogue and the last several chapters really served as a wonderfully extended epilogue.  Finding out the fate of Esther of Hamilton, how their lives unfolded was so very, very satisfying.  As always, Hauck’s writing style is smooth and easy, punctuated with dialogue that is pointed, precise, and interesting.  Hauck’s characters (in this case only Esther and Hamilton!) are so big, they overtake every other aspect of the read, and that is one of my favorite things about reading.  Without doubt, Rachel Hauck is stuck with me as I am quickly becoming addicted to her brand of historical fiction.

P.S.  I also got the audiobook from my local library and found it to be a disservice to the story.  At the halfway point, I gave up on the audiobook and went back to the physical read which was significantly better!
Thank you to Netgalley, the Publisher and the Author for the opportunity to read this book in return for my honest opinion and review.

After reading The Wedding Dress, I knew I had to read all books that Rachel Hauck writes.  In the present of this novel, Chloe Daschle, is an actress struggling to find a role where her character does not die and in real life, she is struggling to find her hearts desire, true love.  Jesse Gates, is an actor, turned screenwriter, who writes a stunning script based on an old love letter from his great grandfather times six; Jesse is struggling with acceptance and forgiveness from his past.  I loved these characters right from the beginning and was engrossed in their story, I hung on every word and watched as their love and faith brought them the things they desired, whether they knew it or not, and their ending was all I could have asked for.  The past story revolves around Hamilton Lightfoot and Esther Longfellow, during the time of the Revolutionary War,  and their ill fated love affair.  I found that I was not as interested in Hamilton and Esther's story, even though it is the backbone of Chloe and Jesse's story.  I am not sure if Hamilton and Esther's story did not hold my attention as much or if I loved Chloe and Jesse's story so much, I could not wait to get back to them.

All in all, lovely novel, and wonderful ending.  Looking forward to many more books by this talented author.
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my unbiased opinion.

Chloe Daschle hates that she has been dubbed “queen of the death scene,” and when she reads the script for Bound By Love, she just knows the role of Esther will break her out of that stereotype.  She becomes friends with Jesse Gates, the screenwriter for Bound By Love and an actor in the movie.  Bound By Love is a fictionalized version of Jesse's great-great-great-great-great-great-grandfather, Hamilton Lightfoot's, love for Esther Longfellow.  As Chloe and Jesse's story unfolds, so does the “true” story of Hamilton and Esther.

I have been a fan of many of Rachel Hauck's previous books, but this one disappointed me.  I didn't really connect with either story line or the characters.  The surprise twist with Oliver near the end was creepy to me, while I think it was meant to be romantic.  There were several small things that bugged me throughout the book, as well.  Every character seemed to have a stuttering problem.  Also, there were multiple scenes where the main characters chose to share their deep, important stories at the same time, i.e. “I'll tell a sentence of my story; now you tell a sentence of your story; then I'll tell another sentence of my story.”  It made me feel like they weren't really listening to each other.  The sum of all the little things made me glad when this book was over.
The Love Letter by Rachel Hauck is a beautiful romance. Similar to other books by Rachel we have dual time frames revealing a beautifully woven story. The historical story is about the war of 1812. It reveals how it tore families apart. Made me think of the politics of today. The contemporary story is about 2 couples in Hollywood.

Hamilton and Esther are the two historical characters. Hamilton ends up fighting in the war. Esther’s father is totally against the war and is not a good character. Their story is heartbreaking.

Chloe and Jesse are the modern day couple. Jesse is a screen writer and dealing with guilt from his past. His story was also heartbreaking. I felt it could happen to any of us. Chloe is an actress that has had a string of bad luck and playing parts where she dies. She is determined to not die in her next film.

Rachel does not disappoint. She delivers a touching love story from both time periods.
Such a fan of Rachel’s! This book was exciting,romantic,beautiful and perfect read! Thanks for the ARC!!
Set in the war torn time of the Revolutionary War and in the present, this book follows the lives of Eleanor Longfellow and her love Hamilton Lightfoot as they try to maintain their relationship in spite of Esther's Loyalist father. In the present day, Chloe Daschle auditions for a role in the movie about Esther and Hamilton and meets Jesse, Hamilton's descendant and the screenwriter of the movie. She is tired of her image in Hollywood as a character who always dies and falls in love with the role that might save her career. Told in alternating storylines, these characters must make hard decisions and eventually realize that God is more than enough. Can these characters find love in the midst of difficult circumstances, or will the past be too much for their relationships?
I enjoyed this book very much, and I liked both storylines equally, which is rare for me when reading a book in this format. Even though the characters went through heartbreaking circumstances, they did what was right and followed God. The backstory of Esther and Hamilton was gut wrenching and historically described, and the modern day romance between Chloe and Jesse was sweet and genuine. The lessons about love and relationships were important and well written, and Chloe's description of the way a marriage should be was one of the best I've ever read in Christian fiction. I didn't agree with some of the views expressed that seemed like watered down Christianity and acceptance of casual drinking, but faith in God and salvation was presented well and made the book more realistic than some inspirational fiction out there. Other than prolific kissing, the book was clean. I recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical romance with a Christian emphasis.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson through NetGalley. A positive review was not required, and all opinions expressed are entirely my own.
Rachel Hauck manages to deliver a well written read every time. Well articulated. Good character arcs and sweet romance. Definitely a repeat fan. I’m forever impressed by authors who can do a well done time split.