Us Against You

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 19 Jun 2018

Loved this sequel!  This is in the top 3 books of Blackman.  His writing style is beautiful....cannot wait to see what he comes out with next.  As always, thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read this wonderful book.
4.3 - didn't resonate with me quite as much as Bear Town, but still an amazing book; highly recommended
I love Fredrik Backman. This book is what happens in the aftermath of Beartown. I love the depth of detail and the development of characters and a glimpse into what can happen when a town's hockey team falls apart.
Us Against You by Fredrick Backman is a follow up to Backman's earlier novel, Beartown.   This book will not disappoint readers.  It is a wonderfully written story of friendship, family, loyalty, and loss.  The characters are developed in such an interesting way and the plot moves quickly.       All of Backman's books carry a unique style and charm.  This one is a definite 5+ stars.

Us Against You is a difficult book. Maybe because of the inflated egos reaching for power and not concerned who they step on. Or maybe it’s because of the powerless who can’t help themselves. Or perhaps it’s due to the repetition of themes that hammers in the points. It is, admittedly, an effective story of two towns in conflict, ostensibly over hockey, but actually over so much more.

I think my sadness on reading this book is not only from the book but from the life of the world around me that it represents, where emotions are manipulated by those in a position to do so, communities are set artificially against one another so they won’t notice that the powers that be are plotting against...

See Full Review
I loved all of Backman's other books except Beartown. In spite of this I thought I'd give the sequel a try and way pleasantly surprised. It still lacked the charm of Ove and some of his other ones but I did like it it more than Beartown just because I felt like it moved along better.
this book was so much better than the first one on the series, it is very rare for that to happen so I do recommend it very highly to anybody who is looking for a good fiction book to read.
I read the first one, but it was a slog to finish.  The same is to be said for this one.  I really like Backman, and want to continue reading his books...but man, these are not only depressing, they are also VERY slow moving with far too much extra prose.
I loved Beartown so much. I thought this book couldn’t possibly live up to it but it absolutely did. I may have loved it even more. There is just something so magical, haunting and beautiful about Backmans writing. I wept through most of the book. Just a beautiful book.

Bang, Bang, Bang... the sound resonates through Beartown after the scandal. You can feel the hurt, the frustration, the determination behind the noise. The pucks against the wall, and the feet on the ground. Nothing has returned to normal after the scandal, and it seems nothing ever will. A town full of hate and hurt tries to carry on regardless.

As with Backman’s previous novels, you can expect the story to be emotional and dramatic. You know that someone will die, but don’t know, who, why, or what caused it. One thing is clear; people could have done more to stop it, and there will be many regrets.

A few new and interesting characters are introduced in this book. Richard Theo, the...

See Full Review

Fredrick Backman in addition to being an amazing writer, is someone who has a gift for observing people and creating characters that readers see themselves in.  I can relate to every single one of his characters--whether it's that they remind me of what it was like to be young or parents in whom I see myself now.  There is such hope, such resilience, such faith in these characters.  Backman has a way of showing us ourselves and reminding us that we share this experience and as bruised and raw and emotional and upset we are, it's ok, because we are ultimately all in this thing called life together.

Us Against You is a continuation of Beartown. We get to catch up with Bobo...

See Full Review
My 6th book by Backman and his storytelling has never let me down. Us Against You picks up where Beartown left off, the ripple effect of  what happened to tear apart the hard-luck small-town community. This follow-up is a powerful slow burn albeit a bit depressing that reintroduces old characters and adds interesting new ones. Backman is once again a master at developing his characters and his depiction of small town America feels authentic.
Sequels can often be iffy - will they stand up to the original, should there even have been a sequel, etc. But Us Against You stands up just fine! There was so much more story to tell of the town of Beartown. And Backman is a master of the one liner that breaks you or makes you smile or etches a moment in your memory. A great follow up novel that I was thrilled to read.
Like the first work in the Beartown series, Us Against You can be a difficult and exhausting read. While there is slightly more hope in this volume than the previous one, readers expecting Backman's usual mix of hope and tragedy might find this one of his darker pieces.

Beartown was one of my favourite books of 2017 but felt very conclusive so I was excited but apprehensive to read Us Against You. I think anyone who enjoyed Beartown will love to dive back into the lives of all the characters again, especially Benji. Always Benji. I need a stand-alone novel of just Benji please!

I think this was an interesting addition because I felt completely satisfied with the story that was told in Beartown so this is not a book that everyone will feel compelled to read. A lot of my colleagues have read Beartown and we were pretty evenly divided between liked it and LOVED IT. Unfortunately I just don’t see this being a book for someone who just liked Beartown.
...

See Full Review

Last year I read “Beartown“. It was phenomenal, so I was super excited to learn that there was going to be a sequel. Well folks, this time the sequel surpassed the first. WOW!
I don’t really even like hockey, but, like Beartown, it is much more than a book about hockey. It is a book about people, about a town, about the world.

I strongly urge anyone who is entertaining the idea of reading “Us against you” to read “Beartown” first. In Beartown you will come to love the town and its inhabitants. In “Us against you” the love will swell enough to break your heart.

Beartown is recovering from the scandal that rocked the town to its very foundations. Some people were more affected by the...

See Full Review
I've never read a novel that addresses toxic masculinity so directly and from so many angles. I liked Beartown and I think the second installment is even better.
A sequel to "Beartown".  Amazing follow up on the characters in the first book and how the story continues to develop.  I couldn't wait to read this book and it didn't disappoint!

"It's so easy to get people to hate each other. That's what makes love so impossible to understand. Hate is so simple that it always ought to win. It's an uneven fight."

The residents of Beartown pulled on my heartstrings and kept me captivated once again! In Us Against You, the story focuses less on hockey (there still is quite a bit!) and more on the aftermath of the character's tragedies in the first story, as well as giving more depth to some of the characters that were not the main focus in Beartown. Backman really gets into the ugliness of human nature, focusing on prejudice, violence and hatred. The story delves deep into the healing of Maya, Leo, and...

See Full Review

"I refuse to be a victim. I'm a survivor."

Fredrik Backman is an auto-read author for me, and Beartown was one of my favorite books of 2017. Naturally, my expectations for this follow-up were at the highest levels. While it didn't hold the overwhelming experience of its predecessor, it was a compelling second look at my favorite fictional hockey town. It addressed many lingering questions left unanswered and delivered the emotional knockout I've come to expect from this author.

"In the end the weight of carrying each other's broken hearts becomes unbearable."

It's no surprise, but Us Against You was exhausting, in many ways more so than...