Queen's Progress

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Jun 2018

I found this novel quite unique in its setting and story-line.
The characters were well written, the story line was good. You could tell the author did their research on the time and places the book takes you to. I just was not happy with the modern day English, but that is a personal issue not the book's fault.
I look forward to the next installment in this series.

We all know the turbulent start to Queen Elizabeth's rule so knowing that you already know the main plot line behind this story. Though it was well written out and had quite a bit of mystery and intrigue in it, I was not impressed with the writing style and the author's use of modern language. I do not expect complete language of the time but this was written almost in complete modern English slang and all. It just left me wanting more of a language of the age book then a modern language book.

I am not saying that the book was bad, it was quite good actually. The characters were well written, the story line was good. You could tell the author did their research on the time and...

See Full Review
The Queen is ready to go on her progress. She will be staying at some of the richest and stately homes. To be sure her path will be secure, and the Queen safe a person is sent forth to visit in advance. Kitt Marlowe is this person. With his felliw riders they set out on their way. First a grandfather is thrown to gis death. Than a woman is shot dead. Everything that should not happen, is happening. What can they do to insure the Queen' s safety?
A book of intrigue, and mystery. Interesting.
5 Stars
An enjoyable, fast read. The tone was similar to the other books I've read by Trow, nothing really out of the ordinary, nothing terribly unique or unexpected. This was a fun read for a lazy afternoon. I definitely enjoyed it and would recommend it for Tudor fans. Marlowe is a fun, well-sketched character, thoroughly entertaining.
I absolutely adored this book. I am a huge lover of all things from the Tudor and Elizabethan Era, so was very excited to read QUEEN'S PROGRESS. What I wasn't expecting was how MUCH I would love it! The author creates a raw and vivid portrayal of the time period, as well as fleshing-out the characters and bringing them to life for the reader. I found myself so wrapped up in this story, from the plot to the characters, that I couldn't put the book down and it has stayed with me long after the last page. PLUS, if I am understanding correctly, this book is part of a series. Which means that I now need every single thing that M.J. Trow has ever written.

A thoroughly enjoyable Elizabethan tale of intrigue and treason.

Christopher 'Kit' Marlowe is one of history's mysteries, we know enough of him to simply be intrigued by the missing bits. It is fact that he was a spy for Elizabeth I, and that he was a poet and playright of considerable repute. It's also clear that he mixed with some very 'interesting' characters and trod a fine line between the light and the dark of Elizabethan society, a line he is believed to have slipped from, resulting in his untimely death - but was it murder or self-defence?

This makes him the perfect character to send into the murky underworld of Elizabethan England, allowing poetic...

See Full Review
Fabulous, I have loved every book by this author. She evokes the past so beautifully. Highly recommend.

Historical fiction featuring Christopher Marlowe as Queen Elizabeth’s advance scout to find a route for her tour of the English countryside, where the queen and her many attendants become visible to her subjects. This tour was known as a “progress,” and included sequential visits to the country houses of nobles. They entertained the queen with masques (stage performances), speeches, music, food, and drink. During Marlowe’s advance visits, several unexplained deaths and unpleasant incidents took place. The story revolved around solving the mystery of these incidents.

I found this novel quite unique in its setting and storyline. The author provided vivid descriptions of England in 1591...

See Full Review

I am voluntarily submitting my honest review after receiving an ARC of this ebook via NetGalley.

This historical mystery features Christopher Marlowe first and foremost as a spy and investigator in Cecil's vast network, with his talent as a playwright and entertainer serving as a convenient and productive cover role. While this novel is the ninth in the author's Christopher Marlowe series and I might have enjoyed it more had I read the previous eight novels, I had no trouble following the plot without having read them. Queen's Progress has a lively and engaging mystery, however, the plot's progression relies upon a series of extremely unlikely events. SPOILER ALERT!!!
...

See Full Review
Kit Marlowe, playwright and sometimes spy, is back on another adventure.  This time he is enlisted by Sir Robert Cecil to arrange for all the entertainment and logistics for Queen Elizabeth's Royal Progress as she visits the homes of some of her subjects.  But, as Kit and his crew travel to each manor, tragedies strike which prompt Kit to cancel the slated stops at those venues.  Are these tragedies isolated incidents or are they all somehow connected?  It's up to Kit and his crew to figure things out.

I enjoyed this book.  The characters are well developed and the plot is plausible.  I look forward to the next installment in this series.