Cover Image: The Artful Evolution of Hal & Mal’s

The Artful Evolution of Hal & Mal’s

I enjoyed reading this book.  Hal and Mal's is an iconic Jackson, Mississippi restaurant.  The book is part family history, part history of the restaurant and is illustrated with wonderful watercolor paintings.  The book is written by one brother and is his autobiography.  He writes about the inspiration behind the restaurant and his brother's recipes.   Each short chapter is accompanied with an illustration.  I was happy to read that second and third generations are still keeping the restaurant open.  The book is easy to read and the writing style is light.  The chapters are loosely chronological.  Enjoy
#NetGalley # Hal&Mals #Heritage

This is a tribute to this marvelous iconic and historical place which is the Hal & Mal's. The illustration and the historical facts are well represented.
The Artful Evolution of Hal & Mal's by White, Cook & St John is a free NetGalley ebook that I read in mid-May.

Ink & detailed watercolor pages with handwritten recipe cards for well-loved dishes and condiments at a real-life restaurant & oyster bar in Jackson, MS owned by the White brothers (Hal, Mal[colm] and Brad), and surrounded by a doting, steadfast, charismatic staff and eclectic decoration (like motorcycle urinals).
From the publisher ---
The Artful Evolution of Hal & Mal’s is a collaboration between artist Ginger Williams Cook and author Malcolm White about the people, the place, and the history of Hal & Mal’s, an iconic institution in downtown Jackson, Mississippi.
Featuring beautiful watercolor paintings, the book brings together thirty years of family history, live music performances, and cafe society through graphic designs of old photographs, original illustrations, Hal’s legendary recipe cards, and the written word. Opening with a foreword by the renowned author and chef Robert St. John and featuring Ginger’s bold and vibrant look at a place she grew up patronizing, The Artful Evolution of Hal & Mal’s captures the reflective, quirky voice of one half of the dynamic team known to millions as Hal & Mal.
Hal & Mal’s was conceived by brothers Hal and Malcolm White. The dream was rooted in a childhood on the Mississippi Gulf Coast, reinforced by years of living and working in New Orleans, and ultimately launched in Jackson in 1985. This gathering place has always been owned and operated by family—now the second and third generations. The multifunctional, southern-soul-soaked rooms are adorned with memorabilia and chock-full of local character; each one also features a stage for live music. The kitchen serves a steady offering of hearty regional staples with a nod toward the Gulf of Mexico.
Hal & Mal’s is the most-talked-about upscale honky-tonk in all of Mississippi, where art is made, music plays, and folks gather to share community and celebrate the very best of Mississippi’s creative spirit.
If you love quirky restaurants and reading books, this is the spring read of 2018 for you! I loved reading about the history of the place: The Smith Brother’s cough drop angle made me laugh out loud as I am the daughter and granddaughter of pharmacists. Other chapters delight for reasons unknown (The Politics of Ketchup comes to mind….) and I loved the recipes cards as I have some old tried-and-true ones myself in my grandmother’s recipe box on my kitchen counter. (I had to explain what it was to my nephew as he wanted to know why I didn’t “just type them out and keep them on the computer” – a pox on thee, young nephew!).
This book is part history, part social commentary, part art book: these parts all add up to a yummy book for the soul. Now I am hungry for southern cooking at its best…. big surprise!