The Nowhere Child

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 12 Jun 2018

What a compelling read. I really enjoyed this story. The alternating timelines made it interesting and kept me reading. As did the mystery surrounding the missing child. I liked that I couldn't see the twists coming. Unique and original. This is a great debut read for mystery lovers.
A fast-paced, absorbing thriller peopled with imperfect and likeable characters. The setting in small-town America (complete with fundamentalist religious snake-handlers) gives the story a unique point of difference. A great read from start to finish.
I absolutely loved The Nowhere Child. This story kept me on the edge of my chair from the first page. Author Christian White has skilfully interwoven two timelines, one present day and the other 28 years earlier as the story behind the mysterious disappearance of two year-old Sammy Went is slowly revealed. There are twists and turns throughout the book so you never really know what to expect and whenever a clue is dropped onto the page it seems both perfectly logical and yet a complete surprise. The plot is beautifully paced with lovely little hooks throughout. I struggled to stop reading even when I different was falling asleep mid-sentence. This is one book for my keeper shelf and one author to look out for in the future..
The missing child genre never seems to lose its pull, but giving the setting of this thriller over two time periods and two countries this one is different, and it has a great twist at the end. Another excellent Australian debut novelist who will surely go far, fast!
Wow! I could not put this book down. I loved the characters and the story. I loved how each chapter alternated between the present and the past cleverly keeping you hanging and wanting to read more. This book is screaming to be made into a movie! Excellent read.

Further review...
Twenty eight year old Kim Leamy's world is turned upside down when a stranger approaches her claiming she was abducted as a two year old. The claims are initially easily dismissed - it seems absurd that she was abducted from America and taken half way around the world to Australia without ever knowing before now. But the one true person who has all the answers - her mother, passed away years ago. There are still unanswered questions from Kim's childhood which continue to niggle at her and the only way to find the answers once and for all is to travel back to Kentucky to find the truth. From here the plot thickens and takes an unexpected twist turning this book into an engaging thriller.

Wow! I could not put this book down. I loved the characters and the story line. I enjoyed how each chapter alternated between the present and the past cleverly keeping you hanging and wanting to read more. It's no wonder this book has already won a literary prize. This book is screaming to be made into a movie! A great read.
Enjoyable mystery, although too many psychopaths for me . I enjoyed the small-town American setting, we also spend a bit of time in Melbourne. I thought it dealt well with what was happening in Kim's mind while she is trying to find out the truth of what happened.

I would have liked to explore Emma's story more after Sammy's disappearance, and for Molly to be more than a caricature. There was potential for that "Then", but not "Now". Jack's story line just seems to be there as a plot device. The who becomes obvious about 2/3 of the way through, but you are still left with the why, which makes enjoyable reading. 3.5 stars.
Book blurb...
‘Her name is Sammy Went. This photo was taken on her second birthday. Three days later she was gone.’
On a break between teaching photography classes in Melbourne, Kim Leamy is approached by a stranger investigating the disappearance of a little girl from her Kentucky home twenty-eight years earlier. He believes Kim is that girl.
At first she brushes it off, but when Kim scratches the surface of her family history in Australia, questions arise that aren’t easily answered. To find the truth, she must travel to Sammy’s home of Manson, Kentucky, and into a dark past. As the mystery of Sammy’s disappearance unravels and the town’s secrets are revealed, this superb novel builds towards an electrifying climax.
Inspired by Gillian Flynn’s frenetic suspense and Stephen King’s masterful world-building, The Nowhere Child is a combustible tale of trauma, cult, conspiracy and memory. It is the remarkable debut of Christian White, an exhilarating new Australian talent.

My thoughts…
The Nowhere Child is a remarkable debut novel written by Christian White, an Australian author new to me and the plot had me from the beginning.
Skilfully plotted, this is a true page turner that is complex and builds to an ending I did not see coming.
The main character, Kim, is gutsy and her drive to discover the truth was admirable. I was with her on the entire journey.
Structured as alternate time periods, the author rewards readers with carefully-place clues to keep them intrigued until the end.
A book for the TBR pile for sure.
What would you do if you discovered your entire life was a lie?

That's the question Kim Leamy has to face when she's approached by a man suggesting she might actually be Sammy Went, a little girl who went missing twenty-eight years ago in Manson, Kentucky.

Journeying from her home in Australia to the US in a pilgrimage to discover the truth, Kim discovers sometimes, some secrets are better not uncovered.

Chapters in the story alternate between past and present, or Now and Then as they are referred to. While Kim is always the narrator in the present, the past narrator changes between characters, from Sammy's father Jack to the sheriff investigating the case, Jack's lover and occasional others with significant parts in the story to tell.

I really enjoyed this investigative thriller. There were enough twists and turns to keep me guessing right until the end, and all the present day narrative being from Kim's point of view kept it from getting to confusing as the other players slowly revealed their parts in Sammy's story. I'd never heard of fundamentalist Pentecostal churches worshipping with venomous snakes before and was absolutely fascinated.

This is the author's first novel, but he is an experienced screenplay writer and I'd love to see this adapted for film or television, as I'm sure it would make riveting viewing. It's certainly a solid five star read.
This was such an original story! Finally! I've been waiting for a book to grab me and this one certainly did that.

The waiting to find out what happened to Sammy was bittersweet, i just wanted to rush through and find out but also wanted to keep going!

Thank you to netgalley and the publisher for providing an ARC in exchange for an honest review.
The Nowhere Child, the debut novel of Christian White, is a captivating tale of tension and trauma. In the opening pages, Kim, a 30 year old photography teacher in Melbourne, is sitting in the cafeteria during her meal break when a stranger approaches and asks if he can join her. He shows her a photograph of a young girl, Sammy Went, who went missing from her home in Manson, Kentucky, three days after her second birthday. He believes that Kim is Sammy Went.

Kim’s first reaction is disbelief. All her memories are based in Australia with her family: her younger half sister, Amy, her recently deceased mother and her stepfather Dean. As she looks through the meticulous collation of family photographs with Amy, she discovers that there is no record of their lives before Kim’s third birthday, except for a single shot of her as a two year old in a swimming pool. There is also an uncanny resemblance between her two-year old self and Sammy Went.

The more Kim digs, the more she doubts her family history. Determined to get to the bottom of the mystery, she travels to Manson, Kentucky. As she meets members of the West family and learns about the fanatical cult that they were associated with, she unleashes a host of dark secrets from the past.

A powerful image within the book is based on decay theory, which suggests that the neurochemical memory trace that is linked to a piece of information fades over time. In The Nowhere Child, White describes the neurochemical trace as ‘a big red thread’, which can be pulled on to recall the memory. He continues to explain how ‘when a particular memory isn’t retrieved over a long enough time period, the thread fades and weakens, and eventually (snaps)’. In the story, Kim keeps trying to remember the past, and repeatedly imagines her two-year old self pulling on a red thread and reeling it in like an empty fishing line. It drives her to keep digging to discover what happened to her as a child and to face the trauma that she has suppressed.

The Nowhere Child is written in alternating viewpoint. The main thread is the third person account of Kim’s search. This is interspersed with accounts of events around the time of the disappearance of Sammy West. The past events are from the perspective of a variety of key players, recorded chronological order. This adds detail to the information Kim is uncovering, and increases the tension. The story unfolds in a very believable but unpredictable fashion, and the reader is kept guessing until the final chapters.
3.5 **** This was a really interesting premise for a story, the end had a twist I definitely was not expecting. The only thing I really didn't like was how quickly Kim decided to look into what Stuart, a complete stranger had told her and then accept it, I found that a bit far fetched. Besides that though, I enjoyed the dual timelines, I think I preferred the 'then' timeline slightly more as I was so interested to find out what happened. I recommend this book if you enjoy a good crime/mystery.

Thanks to NetGalley and Hachette Australia for a copy in return for an honest review.
This is an incredible psychological thriller that moves between two time periods of Now (2018) and Then (1990) and between USA and Australia. A two year old girl, Sammy Went, disappears in a small town called Manson, Kentucky and twenty-eight years later her brother Stuart is in Melbourne, Australia confronting Kim who he claims is that missing child.

What unfolds is spell binding and the author creates an atmosphere of suspense and tension. With twists and turns happening all through the story, the ending leaves you mesmerised  as it was so unpredictable  - so WOW!!

With well developed characters, an intriguing story line and a easy to read writing style this comes in the highly recommended class and especially as this is a debut novel for the author Christian White from Victoria, Australia.

Thank you to Netgalley and publisher Hachette Australia for an ARC ebook to read and review.
Two-year-old Sammy Went lived with her mother and father, sister Emma and brother Stuart – three days after her second birthday, Sammy vanished. Even with the dedicated search which went for weeks; the police called from areas surrounding the small town of Manson, Kentucky; Sammy was never seen again – the case was never solved.

Twenty-eight years later, in Melbourne, Australia, Kim Leamy was enjoying a break from her classes when a stranger approached her. In that instant Kim’s life changed and everything she’d believed about herself and her family were shattered. Questions she asked of her step-father couldn’t be answered to Kim’s satisfaction; her mother had passed away four years previously, so Kim couldn’t ask her anything. So Kim decided on the only thing she could think of – she boarded a plane for the United States, and Manson in Kentucky, hoping for answers.

But the past was a dark place with many secrets. Perhaps it would be better if Kim went back to Australia – forgot the last few weeks? But she couldn’t. Kim knew there was something; she knew she needed to know to be able to find a measure of peace once again…

Well wow! I didn’t see THAT twist coming!!! The Nowhere Child is Aussie author Christian White’s debut novel and absolutely ticks all the boxes of a psychological thriller! With its chapters alternating between "then" and "now", The Nowhere Child is littered with a cult, evil, innocence and a harrowing loss. Well-written characters and an intriguing plot make this exceptional read one I highly recommend – and I’ll be looking out for White’s next novel.

With thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for my digital ARC to read and review.
Rating: 4 stars

Review: I went into this book not quite sure what to expect, and was pleasantly surprised when I got a book that read as well as The Nowhere Child did. The book follows Kim, an Australian university teacher, who is approached one day by a man believing her to be Sammy Went, a child who was abducted from America when she was two and never seen again. What follows is a story that takes you across the world and across time, with twists and turns that will keep you guessing until the end.

The story was beautifully written, feeling natural and real and helping to absorb the reader into the lives of Kim and the Wents. It's hard to remember that these are made-up characters when reading this book, as it's written in such a way that it could be real. Everything from the dialogue, the thoughts and the actions the characters portrayed all helped paint the picture that these were more than just characters in a book.

If you're a fan of thriller or mystery novels, look out for this one hitting the shelves late June 2018.

Thank you to Hachette Australia for giving me an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
An intriguing and compelling read from start to finish. I could not put this book down. I had to find out what came next. The characters are believable and interesting. The twists and turns in the plot are beguiling. The mysteries that are presented are gripping; while the book eventually comes to a satisfying climax. I highly recommend this book for lovers of mystery, intrigue, murder and who dunnits.
This is the story that could have happened to anyone of us. Every one of us could have been lost and found or never found. Any child could have been taken to be tortured or taken to be saved as in the case of The Nowhere Child.

Reading this book one constant thought niggled at my brain: we have it easy. I have it easy. All the teenage angst, all the pain and conflict of living in the broken family an adapting to step-father, all the moving and changing schools, all the operations and bullying at school - are nothing comparing to what kids went through this tiny, quiet and peaceful town of Manson.

Reaching from the States to Australia, from tiny Manson to metropolis of Melbourne, this story stretches distances, time and mind. The Nowhere Child will make parents re-think their parenting, kids to re-think their rebellion and everyone question their own priorities when it comes to 'you did me wrong'.

Christian White created a very believable situation, environment and characters. The only 'not so good' note would be Emma, the teenage older sister. Teenagers do no speak like she does. They do not philosophize and rationalize as she does. And then, if she was so smart at 13 why did she end up where she did? This bit was a bit off.

The rest of the book, including snakes and crazy preacher, read as one word. I finished this book quite quickly as I wanted to see how it all ends.

Happy end? In a way. Have a read for yourself.
Thanks I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Great story line, interesting characters who seem to get more interesting the more you read.
How would you feel if you found out that everything you believed about your family was a lie? Shocked? Confused? Betrayed? Perhaps all of those, and more. When a stranger turns up on Kim Leamy’s doorstep in Melbourne, telling her that he has reason to believe that she might be Sammy Went, a little girl who disappeared at the age of two from her home in Manson, Kentucky, never to be seen again, she dismisses it as a bad joke at first. However, her mother has recently passed away, and there are some niggling questions about her childhood Kim cannot answer. As evidence mounts, Kim knows that there is only one way to find out – to go to America herself and retrace Sammy’s last steps.

Am I the only one that finds skeletons in family closets simply irresistible? As soon as I heard the premise of this novel, I knew that I had to read it. Perhaps because my own mother died when I was a child, and there are so many questions I will now never know the answer to. So I fully “got” Kim’s confusion and frustration, and her need to find out the truth – as shocking as it may turn out to be. Because what can be more confronting than finding out that your parents may not be who they have claimed to be, and that you may have a whole other family in another country – a family who gave you up for dead twenty-eight years ago! White doesn’t leave it at that, he also throws in some interesting plot twists and settings that added something unique to this story. The “then” and “now” timeline lets us explore the events that led to little Sammy’s disappearance, and finally give us the answer to Kim’s many questions – though they may not be what you had expected.

I admit that despite its intriguing premise, I had a few issues with being able to connect to the characters, which made me feel a little less invested in the mystery than I had hoped. A couple of POVs felt unnecessary to me, stalling the story and distracting from the main narrative, although other readers may disagree. Personally, I found I wished for a bit more suspense, as all the right foundations had been laid and were there for the taking, but never totally paid off for me and I felt my interest waning a few times as the story digressed from its main focus. That said, The Nowhere Child was a quick and entertaining read that kept me turning the pages, and although it did not raise goosebumps, the final denouement was satisfying and held a few surprises in store. All in all it should appeal to lovers of mysteries that are based around dysfunctional family dynamics, and those readers who like a somewhat unusual setting (you will know what I mean when you read it). The Nowhere Child is White’s debut novel, and I look forward to reading more from this author in future – with his self-professed passion for true crime podcasts, there may be some more interesting stories coming our way soon!
The fact that is Christian White's debut novel astounded me. His writing is superb, so I will definitely be keeping my eyes open for his future works.

The Nowhere Child was told using two defined timelines, both the past and the present. These were meticulously interwoven and in no way did the story feel disorientating or disconnected. The flow was simply sublime.

This is the story of Kim Leamy, who is told that at the age of two she disappeared and her original name was Sammy Went. Kin is disbelieving of this information and begins to conduct her own investigation to uncover the truth. The story is often predictable, however there were numerous twists that were unexpected and kept my interest at a high level.

An exception debut story and a recommended read.

Read and Reviewed for Reading Is Our Satisfaction

FOUR STARS
I thoroughly enjoyed this story, much more than I thought I would.  The alternating of the past and present stories set in both Melbourne and the US were equally as engaging and the way the author threaded them together was quite amazing. The ending was well executed and I was literally taken by surprise. The author did a great job of moving the story forward at a decent pace to keep you wanting more. I almost forgot the author was male as he did get his female characters down pat. To find out this book is Christian White’s debut is impressive and he will definitely be a name to look out for in future.