Daughters of the Lake

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Nov 2018

This was my first book by this author and it won't be my last. After her marriage ends Kate goes to her parents lake house and soon discovers the body of a woman washed up and and infant nestled up in her vintage dress. No one knows who this woman is. But Kate does she sees her in her dreams. I loved this! it's spooky and compelling. You can't put it down if you wanted to nor will you soon forget it.
Dawnny Ruby-BookGypsy
Novels N Latte Blog
Novels & Latte Book Club
Hudson Valley NY
Daughters of the Lake is a fantastic thriller that is well written and has great characters. A new author for me and a will read more from this author.
Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

I love this book. Excellent character building. I highly recommend this book.
**Not super twisty like expected...a decently woven tale that mixes a lot of past and present.  It get s little overly descriptive at times and you might want to skim or jump ahead.  Sadly, it's ok to do you won't be missing anything.
Interesting, well researched, well written book. DAUGHTERS OF THE LAKE moves backward and forward in time, revealing the story of Addie, whose dead body floats to the shores of Lake Superior  years after her death.  Because the corpse is so perfectly preserved, no one guesses the age of the body.  But Kate, who stumbled upon Addie's body shortly after it was found, recognizes her.  She has been seeing Addie in her dreams for weeks.  Kate, her cousin Simon, and Wharton police chief Nick Stone slowly piece together what let to Addie's death a century, never realizing that the truths will change all their histories.  Webb gives us an intriguing plot, well rounded characters and describes the atmosphere surrounding Lake Superior so vividly that I could smell the lake air and feel the fog wafting over the shore.
Good premise, a little predictable. I found the segues into the ghosts’ introductions to read like a cheesy voiceover “they didn’t know the danger around them” . Overall entertaining, but not terribly original or enthralling.
I knew I was in for a treat when I was selected to receive an arc. Wendy Webb did not disappoint. Perfect bland of romance with a gothic touch. Loved it. Thank you net galley and publisher for this arc in exchange of an honest review.
Thank you Wendy Webb and Netgalley for a copy of this title.
It is always great to find a new author and then discover that  they have written a few books already. Looks like I am going on a Wendy Webb binge!
It was a dark and gothic  story.  The premise was interesting enough and I liked the backstories of the characters. The story has also paranormal elements which gives the story another tone. However, there are some parts I didn't like a lot!The writing was ok and there were unnecessary details that made me skip some parts.
I really, really enjoyed this book.  It was a wonderful balance of love story, ghost story and domestic fiction all wrapped up in a book I couldn't put down.  The main characters are Kate, who is alive, and Addie, whose body washes up on the beach in front of Kate's parents home.  Addie appears to have died very recently and the infant she is holding does as well.  Not wanting to spoil this book for anyone because it is so worth reading, I won't go any further.  Very well written by Wendy Webb, whose books I will now be looking for and recommending to others.  Strongly recommend.
Thank you to Netgalley, the publisher and the author for the opportunity to read this book in return for a review based on my honest opinion about this book.

I really enjoyed this book. It has that gothic feel, the scenic towns, the wonderful cast of characters, a beautiful house, a lake, a story based on an actual legend; what more could I ask for.  When the body of a woman washes up in front of Kate’s parent’s house, she cannot believe her eyes, it’s the woman who has been haunting her dreams for the last few weeks, the woman who she is in her dreams. The story gets even more interesting when she discovers from when the body has come. As Kate, her cousin Simon and Detective Nick Stone, who is swoon worthy, try to resolve this mystery, I was drawn into the story and the ending was unexpected and shocking. Loved this book.

This was not the first book I have read by this author, I have read two others and really enjoyed those as well; it will definitely won’t be the last. Great story for those cold winter evenings.
DNF 37%!

Sorry, but no matter how much I enjoyed The End of Temperance Dare couldn't I muster interest enough to finish this book. The story is so... saccharine and honestly boring. I have to admit that I was quite taken with the cover and the blurb intrigued me. But, it's just romance all the way. The murder mystery? Zzzz well it's much more important that the MC had a vision of her romancing the cop that takes over the case.
A gripping and shocking read which draws you in from the first chapter. Really enjoyed this book with twists and turns a plenty
It took me a little while to get into this book.  The story jumps from the early 1900’s to the present day.  A body is washed up by the lake.   When Kate sees it she reacts, somehow knowing that the lady is holding a baby.  The policeman, luckily a friend of Kate’s is suspicious, but can’t believe she is capable of murder.  At the same time Kate’s husband is having an affair, which Kate discovers and explodes in front of many of their friends.   Embarrassed, she quits her job (she works in the same office as her husband) and goes to Wharton to visit her cousin Simon.    There the story takes many twists and turns.   Kate’s dreams become the focus, as she explores their meaning.   A little strange at times, but worth reading.  I give it 3.1/2 stars.
3.5 As I've mentioned before, it seems that books follow a trend. Either that or I am just randomly encountering books that make it seem that way. So trend or not, I am enjoying the many books that I have read lately, that contain a folklore or myth of some kind. Just love all those old stories containing people and places, old beliefs and warnings. This book that I enjoyed also contains such a story.

Set on Lake Superior this a a good story, with elements of the paranormal, a talent of reading dreams passed down through generations. The timeline is one hundred years apart, and now an event, needs to be understood and corrected in the present. Of course the lake plays a big part of the story, in fact in this book it is where it begins.

"The Lakeshore was magical was magical then, in those days, and so it remained. But people had grown to noisy, too preoccupied, too sophisticated to listen to its song."

To understand what happened in the past, Kate our main character, must learn more about the past, her own family heritage. The spirits of the past are waiting for her to connect the dots and bring peace and the truth to the forefront. Don't believe in spirits? Maybe were just not listening hard enough in our now too noisy world.

ARC from Netgalley.
Anything under 5 is a great injustice for Wendy Webb who has poured her heart and soul into this beautiful thriller - Daughters of the Lake.
Kate our main character is retreating from a failed marriage and in need of some relaxation but she certainly never expected a woman's dead body cradling a newborn.
If that's isn't creepy enough it turns out the body has been there an extended period of time and by extended we're talking since the early 1900's.
In fact Kate has been having dreams of this woman Addie not knowing why and has been logging these dreams to memory.
A haunting folktale that has been handed down like a loved recipe is now upon us all.
Re-writing the wrongs and getting justice for a woman frozen in an icy lake with nothing more than a pure white nightgown with child is all that is being asked...now is that too much too ask for?
WOW!
I'm shocked but in a good way because this was purely magical in every way.
Wendy Webb is always at the top of my reading list and her new book Daughters of the Lake did not disappoint. She has such a wonderful gift of weaving the past with the present and in the process adds in just the right amount of paranormal.
I am a HUGE fan of Wendy Webb's "The End of Temperance Dare" book, so when the opportunity came from NetGalley to read and review Daughter of the Lake, I jumped at the chance.

First - look at this cover. Beautiful!

Secondly - a body washes up on a lake...with a baby tucked into the gown? SIGN ME UP.

Wendy Webb has a way of writing that interweaves the present and the past. There's a mystery as to who this woman is or was. Kate Granger finds herself pulled into the mystery, with vivid dreams and a knowledge that she's afraid to share with anyone. This is a story of lost love, of betrayal, and of fate.

Thank you again to Wendy Webb, the publisher, and NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book.
This book was SO good.  Suspenseful, enchanting, endearing....all the things that I require for a book to really meet all my expectations.  Definitely a good read.
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for allowing me to review this book.

Overall, I was ambivalent about this story. I felt like since it's called Daughters of the Lake, there should have been more plot and story behind that. It's barely touched on. The story mainly follows Kate, a newly single woman that stumbles onto a mystery when a body washes up on the shore near her parent's home. From there, what could be a really interesting story just turns sort of halfheartedly into an oddly proportioned mix of past and present.

While the pacing is good, I thought the focus of the story was often too muddled. I didn't really love any of the characters, and they all seemed a little flat to me. The overall mystery was also a little too pat and easy to a true psychological thriller or supernatural mystery.

This is an okay read if you're looking to kill time, but I wouldn't recommend it if you want something truly deep or twisting.