The Death of Mrs Westaway

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 28 Jul 2018

Intriguing story with an atmospheric setting and appealing main character - one to sink into, thoroughly recommended.
Having read Ruth Ware's The Woman in Cabin 10 and loved it. I was excited to receive an advanced review copy of this.

Again, it doesn't disappoint in terms of Ruth Ware's incredibly engaging writing, character development and plot twists. However, and maybe because I had read one of her previous books and was more alert to twists and was trying to guess the twists, I found this much more predictable. There are two main issues Hal deals with to do with her parentage and I could see them both coming long before they arose.

The character of Hal also kept obsessing over her so called deception even when it was clear that things were not as simple as she has first believed and technically she was no longer deceiving anyone.

Those issues aside, I thoroughly enjoyed this and will be reading all of Ruth Ware's books as I've now enjoyed two and find the quality of writing to be higher than your average thriller/mystery.

Thanks to Random House, the author and Netgalley for the review copy.
I’ve enjoyed previous books of Ruth Ware’s - I think she has an amazing gift for settings. Her settings aren’t just places - they’re the metaphorical heart of the story. For example, In a Dark, Dark Wood with its huge glass-box house in the woods, everything playing out like a stage set or a huge dollhouse. The Woman in Cabin 10, with its vast ship full of secret below-the-water rooms. The Lying Game, with its house slowly sinking into the marsh. They’re all great, and I wish I’d thought of them first!

Similarly here, the settings are so perfect. The flat at the beginning, so poky and damp. Then the huge house, very Agatha Christie-esque. I didn’t really get into the story or characters, but that’s maybe just because I have an aversion to stories about posh people and their lives - I don’t know why! Even though this one wasn’t for me, I’ll read Ruth Ware’s next.
Loved this book
You weren’t always sure where it was going to go
A twist on your normal murder story telling
This is the third Ruth Ware novel I have read and I think it's her best yet.

From the description I was expecting Harriet to be a real piece of work as she owes money to loan sharks and sets off to deceive a family to inherit a bequest. I was so surprised to find the character to be the complete opposite of what I had imagined and enjoyed her role so much. I also enjoyed the tarot card aspect of the book - which surprised me. It was well written about throughout and was a nice twist to the plot.

I thought that the book built a gripping suspense that was always just bubbling under the surface of the normal day to day activities. I also felt I should be able to work out how the mistake of Harriet getting the letter about the inheritance occurred - teasingly it just kept out of my grasp.

I couldn't wait to get back to this book and in the end I invested a few hours to finish it in one sitting as I just needed to know what was going to happen. I certainly didn't expect the ending which was real nail biting stuff.

If I have one problem with the book it is the nickname of Harriet being Hal - couldn't get used to it and kept thinking of the AI in the film 2001.

I'm giving this book 5 out of 5 stars. My thanks to Netgalley for an ARC to review.
Thanks to netgalley for my ARC in exchange for an honest review

Hal is a girl down on her luck when she receives a letter which will change her life

Hal sets off on a journey to meet her extended family whom she has never met before

Her grandmother has died and this book centres around the Will and a family full of secrets and deceptions.  It’s quite creepy as there are characters that you just can’t trust

Even though I enjoyed this book it is not Ruth Ware’s best however it’s great to curl up with on a cold rainy day
The Death of Mrs.Westaway

Get out while you still can. Ruth Ware has created a thrilling house with even darker secrets. The Death of Mrs. Westaway begins with Hal and a mysterious inheritance to someone she has never heard of. Pretending all is well, she returns to the estate and realised that this is more than she bargained for.

The pace in this novel is well thought out. It begins rather fast paced, with the introduction to Hal and her need to escape. After the first meeting with the lawyer Mr.Treswick, the novel seemed to slow a little. However this allows the reader to come to terms with what is happening and to explore the grounds and the rest of the characters with Hal. From this point on, the pace continues to build, leaving the reader with sleepless nights of reading.

The plot itself plays to Ware’s strengths as her style cannot be unacknowledged in the plot. Ware’s writing style tends to be located in a location that holds memories and secrets that are carefully revealed one by one. The Death of Mrs.Westaway tends to be the most focused towards a mystery novel, with Hal and the reader being the detective. With this being said, this mystery brings the traditional victorian mystery into the contemporary here and now. Therefore do not expect a predictable read with this book. Whilst you are reading one part, Ware is tweaking with something else in the background.

There is some very significant influences to this novel that are very hard to ignore. The past location of Ezra and the estate itself, are strong influences of Daphne Du Maurie’s Rebecca. Throughout the novel the similarities are uncanny. However Ruth Ware makes sure that you don’t read the same novel twice.

Furthermore superstition also plays a key part in the novel, from tarot cards to magpies that swarm the grounds. This could challenge the reader’s beliefs of what is believed and what is fact. It is this concept that is consistently returned to when trying to uncover the secrets throughout the novel. What are the facts and what is it that you want to believe?

The Death of Mrs.Westaway is a perfect choice for readers who loved Rebecca or are curious about superstition. However if you enjoy a good mystery but would wish they kept you guessing, then again, you’re looking at your next read.

If you are still not entranced by this novel then, through the words of Mrs.Warren Get out while you still can.

Although we already know what you are going to read next, don’t we?
Hal is a struggling young women trying to make ends meet after her mum had died in a hit and run accident, only leaving her with the opportunity to continue making a living from tarot card readings on the pier. She had fallen into debt, with no option other than borrowing from a money leader with no hope of ever repaying the loan because of ridiculously high interest rates. So when she receives a letter telling her that she has been named as a benefactor in her grandmother’s will, a grandmother so knew nothing about, then she decides that it must be a mistake but one that she must grab with both hands. Perhaps there could be enough money to clear this debt once and for all!
This is my first Ruth Ware novel and it was fabulous. I liked Hal straight away, independent and compassionate. As she dealt with the general public through her work, I thought that she would hold her own pretty well with her new relatives, that she had been summoned to meet up with at the departed Mrs. Westaway’s house. Well house I say loosely as it was more a mansion, albeit run down and need of substantial repair. Hal was to meet her uncles and extended family who welcomed her with open arms convinced she was the daughter of their sister that ran away years before. The housekeeper, Mrs Warren, was another matter entirely, she came with a warning to Hal!
This story moves from one of mystery to one of a more sinister and deadly nature as secrets from the past are woken up as Hal begins to delve into family history.  A proper whodunit and who could do it again mystery. A brilliant dark and compelling read!
I wish to thank NetGalley for an e-copy of this book, which I have reviewed honestly.
I struggled with this one, it wasn't keeping my attention unfortunately. It was a shame as I have read some great ones by this author but this one wasn't the one for me.
The storyline was intriguing: our protagonist, Hal receives a letter, tempting her with the promise of an inheritance she knows isn’t hers. It's a good read (although I guessed the plot too early), with enough twists and turns to keep those pages turning.
A good page turner, but a bit far-fetched at times! But overall a well-written and very readable thriller.
I've read all of Ruth Ware's others books so of course when NetGalley offered up a copy of her latest novel I wasn't going to say no!  The Death of Mrs Westaway features an old country estate, a feuding family, dark secrets, and my favourite bit - tarot cards!  Harriet Westaway makes her living reading tarot cards for people on the pier in Brighton.  She is totally self-sufficient following the death of her mother in a hit-and-run accident some years earlier, and her father has never been made known to her.  One day she receives a letter from a solicitor to say that she has been named in her grandmother's will and must travel to Cornwall to find out what the bequest is.

Hal (as she likes to be called) is somewhat sceptical, her grandparents are both dead, so surely the solicitor has made some sort of error.  However, with very little income, and a fierce loan shark on her back Hal thinks that she can probably scam the family into believing she really is the granddaughter they believe her to be.  After all she makes a living out of telling people their fortunes based on their appearances alone, so surely she can use this skill to her advantage?

Arriving at Trepassen House is nothing like Hal expected, and for the first time in ages, she is suddenly part of a family; albeit not an especially cosy one, but it feels right.  The housekeeper, however, seems to have taken an instant dislike to her and Hal isn't sure if she has already seen through her plan.  With trip wires, bulbs that are removed in the dark, and things that go bump in the night, Ruth Ware has conjured up a gothic style mystery for the modern day.  Families are never quite what they seem, are they?!
The Death of Mrs Westaway was one of my anticipated books and I was happy when I got approved to read it.

I found the book atmospheric, Ware's writing is absolutely beautiful and her creepy atmosphere really sucked me in. It was so eerie at times, something I really loved.

I felt there were some loose ends as well and also me working stuff out before Hannah figured it all out was a little bit of a letdown.

But... despite of those comments, I did enjoy this book and think it could be a lovely gift to those, who love creepy reads as the author slightly messes up with your mind and creates a very atmospheric, eerie read.

I would like to thank both the author and the publisher for letting me read this book.
Oh goodness, I love Ruth's books, so it pains me greatly to say I just couldn't get on with this one. I've had this on my kindle months (hence the late feedback) and I kept thinking if i tried it another time it'd work, but in the end you have to give in.

It was nothing to do with Ruth's writing why I didn't enjoy it; her usual fantastically gothic and eerie style was right there as always which I love, it was more on a personal level where I just didn't click with the character and I just found it a wee bit too far fetched.

I appreciate the chance to review this and again apologise for my lateness (but it's only because I wanted to love it and kept picking it up and trying!). I still can't wait for Ruth's next book and she's still one of my very favourite authors.
A lovely book by Ruth Ware telling the story of Hal who works on Brighton Pier as a tarot reader. Since the death of her mother, Hal has struggled to fend for herself. When she receives a solicitors letter telling her she is to receive a bequest from her grandmother, despite knowing it is a case of mistaken identity, her stricken circumstances lead her to decide to play along and accept the money.
Although she is making this decision, Hal is an incredibly likeable character and this kept me intrigued as to what would happen next and how the story would resolve and what would happen to Hal.
An intriguing mystery full of twists.
Highly recommend.
Thanks to NetGalley for a Kindle copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
The Death of Mrs Westaway is a fast-paced, engaging gothic mystery... if slightly annoying and prone to narrative leaps that are frankly, too far-fetched and extraordinary to be fully believed. That is not to say that I did not enjoy it, because I did. In fact, I sat in my living room and read it in its entirety over the course of an afternoon. And sometimes, that is all that I need from a mystery/thriller — not for it to be a literary masterpiece or a marvellous work of fiction, just an intriguing whodunnit that will help a few hours pass by. But with that being said, I will probably not be picking up another Ruth Ware book in the future, if the rumours are to be believed and that this is the strongest of all of her novels, because The Death of Mrs Westaway was a level of average that I could handle, but anything worse than it? That would be a whole different story.
I think this is probably my favourite Ruth Ware novel to date. A great setting, likeable main character and a whole cast of others worthy of an Agatha Christie novel. I really enjoyed the story and not trying to second guess everything.
What a great read this was, spookiness and mysterious going one from beginning to end ...a. bery enjoyable book
This was the first Ruth Ware book I have ever read and I'm clearly going to have to check out her back list. I loved the setting - creepy, crumbling old estates are definitely my jam, The displaced heiress trope could have been a bust but wasn't because the MC had so much agency and personality. It's so nice to see a heroine who was practical and would do anything to survive. The plot was satisfyingly twisty and well paced. The prose was plain and unadorned. This was a thoroughly enjoyable book, even if the ending was a little predictable after all that wonderful build up. Really enjoyed this.
Thanks to the publishers and Netgalley for this ARC in exchange for an honest review. I’ve read all of Ruth Ware books, and they’re always a rollercoaster of a treat.
This follows Harriet, a young woman who works as a tarot reader on Brighton Pier. She’s still dealing with her mother’s death, paying off crippling debt, and living in a tiny flat that she’s struggling to maintain, when she receives a letter from a solicitor inviting her to Penzance, as her grandma has died and she’s due to an inheritance. But this must be a mistake because Harriet’s grandparents have already died...Desperate she decides to pretend to be the long lost grand-daughter and goes to Cornwall...
This was a fast gripping read. I highly enjoyed the characterisations of Harriet (I found her motivations believable) and the squabbling uncles. I particularly loved the setting: most of the story is set in Mrs Westerley’s creepy, isolated and enormous estate, with dashes of a cold and rainy Brighton. My only gripe was with the last 10%. I personally found the climax predictable and cliched, filled with tropes I’ve seen many times.
On the whole this is a good pass-time mystery. It’s 3.5 from me.