The Captured Bride

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Aug 2018

"My terms are these:  You will be part of a four-person squad, traveling under the guise of a family moving back to civilization.  Reach Fort Edward with the gold intact, and your execution will be pardoned, though the required jail time is non-negotiable."

"The Captured Bride" (2018, Barbour) by Michelle Griep is third in "The Daughters of the Mayflower" series.  Books one and two are:

Book One:  The Mayflower Bride
Book Two:  The Pirate Bride

The Captured Bride" is a Christian historical romance set in fictional "Fort Wilderness, upper New York, 1759, five years into the French and Indian War."

Historical Background from Wikipedia:  For those who need a refresher (like me):  "The French and Indian War comprised the North American theater of the worldwide Seven Years' War of 1756–63. It pitted the colonies of British America against those of New France."

This is definitely a standalone story, linked to the previous book only in that the heroine is a descendant of characters in book one and/or two.  (I recognized the heroine's last name, but didn't find information to piece together the exact connection.  My ARC copy has the heading "The Lytton Family Tree" in the preface, but no family tree underneath.  I assume this information is in the final copy.)

I requested The Captured Bride from Netgalley because Michelle Griep is one of my favorite authors!

Rating: 4 1/2 stars

The heroine:  Mercy Lytton is a scout for a British army brigadier general, and she is "tired of straddling the line between male and female, native and white."  She still has a chip on her shoulder against her deceased mother, which colors how she sees life.  Mercy is now at a crossroads in her life, as this is her captain's last mission before retirement.

The hero:  Elias Dubois, a Frenchman and a "condemned traitor," has been assigned to be a fake husband to Mercy for the duration of her mission.  He's an unusual choice for a hero.  Throughout his life, Elias has been a source of disappointment for his father and grandfather, which is a recurring throughout the book.

Christian elements:

*Mercy's captain is a Christian and helps to teach her wisdom in the Lord.  "The man was forever prattling on about God's great love for her."  This book does not have Bible verses - or if it does, there aren't many, for I don't remember any.  God is definitely present, but I might still call this book Christian Lite.

Is it clean/chaste?  Yes!  See additional comments below.

*Swearing:  "Blast" is used several times, including by at least one main character.  At one point, Mercy "bit back one of the many curses embedded in her head from a life amongst warriors."   At another, Elias "bit back a curse and spit out the nasty taste in his mouth….." and then asked forgiveness for the men harming him.

*Drinking:  The brigadier general drinks and "his red nose betrayed his daily indulgence."    A Christian main character trades rum for food.

What I liked:

*A lie by a main character is immediately acknowledged - to the reader and himself - for what it is.

*The following made me laugh:

Dubois, lifting his face to the ceiling:  "You never stop surprising me."
     General Bragg  "We've only recently met.
     Dubois:  "I was not talking to you.

What I didn’t like:

*The unknown fate of a minor character (I prefer all plot points to be wrapped up at the end.)

*The kisses between the main characters.  I feel that Griep tries to make the kisses follow a clean standard, while simultaneously describing the jittery butterfly-in-your-stomach feeling.  I don't read romances for simulated fire in the belly feelings.  I read them for the sweet stories - to make me happy!    There were several kisses - which is fine - but I think each one was accompanied by a chaste description of a fiery belly.  Which I could just do without.

***********

The bottom line:  This was a very enjoyable read, and I recommend this book to any fan of historical fiction.  I look forward to reading more by this author, and plan to read "A Tale of Two Hearts" this summer.
What a beautiful story! The Captured Bride had my attention from beginning to end and did not waiver once. This is a wonderful and unpredictable story with so many twists and turns. Griep created not only a memorable story, but also a character that makes an immeasurable impact on its reader. A definite must read!
Loved! My first book by Michelle and it won’t be my last! Thanks for the ARC and I suggest you plan a day where you can relax with this book...it’s wonderful!!
This was my first 'Daughters of the Mayflower Series' and I really liked this historical romance novel.  The time period is the French and Indian War set in 1760. Mercy Lytton is the offspring of a captive white mother and a Mohawk Indian. She was raised among the Mohawk tribe but taught about Jesus by her mother.  As her story continues, a traitor, Elias Dubois, poses as her husband and they embark on journey of filled with challenges. Thank you, NetGalley, for the opportunity to read and review this story. 4 Stars
Though this book started slow for me, it grabbed my attention and was an enjoyable read.  On top of the historical accuracy, the pages was filled with intrigue, action and twists - some which I did not like - and heartbreak.  This author did a great job of describing the scenes in a way that took my right there and feel the emotions Mercy went through in the woods.

The pace slowed again at the end, with a sweet conclusion.

This is the third book I read by this author, and was my favourite.  I'm enjoying this series and highly recommend it to fans of historical fiction.
Mercy Lytton is a scout for the British, who was raised among the Mohawk Indians with her Indian father and white mother. Her partner, Matthew, knows that she won't like their next assignment, transporting gold while posing as a family leaving the area. They are joined by the commander's son, and the condemned traitor who will pose as her husband.

Elias Dubois has his secrets, and one of them almost cost him his life. He is struck by Mercy's beauty and her intense dislike for him.

Elias has a strong faith, and proves himself capable and reliable, as well as hardworking on their journey. His integrity and good intentions shine through as the story progresses. He slowly wins Mercy over, respecting her space and her skills.

I loved how Mercy was proud of her upbringing, yet she wants more out of life. She likes talking to Elias about his faith, and he challenges her to think of a few things differently.

I really liked this book, it had a lot of action, with great characters, and a fascinating plot. I liked the setting of the French and Indian War, as Mercy and Elias become friends and more. Great dialog, and a fantastic ending. Definitely one of my favorite of this series.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and testimonials in Advertising."
The Captured Bride is the third book in the Daughter's of the Mayflower series. My favorite part of the Captured Bride is the characters. There are at least three that are well-developed and complex. You feel like you know them, at times better than they know themselves. More than one is torn about where they belong, and to who they owe their loyalty. A dangerous and unexpected mission unites them, but at what price?

This story is set in America during the mid 1700s, during the French and Indian War. The main female lead is half Mohawk, and the male lead is half French. Both have to live their lives straddling two very different cultures in a dangerous time-period.

I did enjoy this story, but felt that it wrapped up rather quickly.  It was a slow, intense build up ... with a too-quick finish.

I'm rating this one 3.5 out of 5 trail-side campfires.
Several months ago, someone recommended Michelle Griep’s The Captive Heart and it was such a great story about colonial America, native relations and indentured servants. It resonated with me and reminded me of other great reads from the period. So when I got the opportunity to review The Captured Bride, I was looking forward to it. I’ve been hearing so much about the Daughters of the Mayflower series, and wanted to know what all the fuss was about.

Personally, this wasn’t my favorite book, and getting into is was very tough. Based on the way Elias was introduced, I expected something different to happen and I was hoping for more cute and bumbling moments where Elias and Mercy would have to “play the part” they’ve been assigned. Though, when they do, it was quite cute. Still, the story felt very formulaic and doesn’t pick up until about a quarter of the way through the book, and I felt rather confused about the characters for some time. Though this might be due to the fact that I haven’t read The Pirate Bride? But I was hoping that perhaps the books were semi stand-alone.

On the other hand, for being such an American History buff, I wasn’t very familiar with the French and Indian War before reading thing. So I have learned a thing or two, which is always nice when reading Historical Fiction. Bonus Points.

For readers who enjoy books involving journeys, characters with questionable histories, and prose filled with flowery description, similes, and Colonial American History, this might be a really great read for you. I’m looking forward to seeing how Kimberly Woodhouse picks up the next installment in the series with The Patriot Bride.
I always enjoy books by Michelle Griep.   The Captured Bride held my interest from beginning to end.   The story is based on true history,  which I especially like.    I liked how she gave the definitions for the Indian words at the beginning,  and the notes at the end.    It is beautifully written and I felt like I was there.  The characters were amazing,  especially the main characters Elias and Mercy, and the story has you turning pages fast.
I have been a fan of Michelle Griep’s books since I read Brentwood’s Ward and have attempted to read every other book by her that I can find. I was excited to read her latest, The Captured Bride and I was not disappointed in the least.

Heroine Mercy is the daughter of a Mohawk father and a white mother. Now on her own she functions as a scout for the English because of her natural skill and unusual gifts. The story covers a dangerous assignment in which Mercy accompanies her usual scouting partner and Elias, a condemned traitor escorting a shipment of French gold to a different fort. Along the way, the group face various dangerous situations and begin to wonder if they will be able to complete their mission. Mercy also finds herself undeniably attracted to the one man she is afraid to trust.

I thoroughly enjoyed this action packed novel filled with danger, secrets, betrayal, and a romance that developed naturally without overwhelming the rest of the tale. A few plot twists and surprises along the way served to keep things interesting. It was also gratifying to watch the relationship grow between Elias and Mercy as well as their dependence on the Lord.

I loved this book and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical fiction, particularly that of the early days of America.
This was a hair raising book filled with adventure and grit. The main characters, uniquely bond to your heart with their raw, unfiltered edges of wild adventure.

From the moment Mercy spied Elias, the reader knows they will eventually fall in love, but reading through their twists and turns is an enjoyable process.

A true cowboys and Indians story, with the reader guessing at the true bad guy the whole time. I would recommend this book for teenagers and the general reader.
Why This Book:
After enjoying Michelle Griep’s The Innkeeper’s Daughter, I have decided to read as much of her writing as I can squeeze into my schedule.

Opening Line (from Chapter 1):
Fort Wilderness,
upper New York, 1759
Five years into the French and Indian War

“It ain’t right. You ain’t right.”

First Impressions:
From the very first scene the dialogue pulled me into the lives of Griep’s characters. Mercy is a very different sort of heroine for the era, to say the least. Her relationships with the people around her are therefore necessarily unique as well. I was immediately intrigued by her life and her story.

Main Characters:
Mercy Lytton – One might expect a woman with her background to be bitter or downtrodden in some way, but instead, Mercy is a bold and determined young woman. Sure, she has issues she needs to work out, but she doesn’t let them consume her the way a weaker person might have. Still, she learns things along the way that significantly change how she views her life, the people around her, and even God.

Captain Matthew Prinn – An uncle-like figure in Mercy’s life, Matthew Prinn is a trail-toughened spy and partner to Mercy.

Elias Dubois – A man caught between warring countries and accused of treason, there are too many people that want him dead to list. I can’t say too much about his character without giving something away because the biggest questions pushing this story along have to do with who he truly is and where his loyalties lie.

Emotional Engagement & Pacing of the Story:
This story had my attention from page one and never lost it. There were just enough “pauses” or slower moments in the scenes to let the reader catch their breath in time to lose it with the next twist. At no point did I want to put the book down or felt that the story dragged at all.

Elements I especially liked/disliked:
I particularly liked that Mercy, while notably different from the typical female of the time, still felt completely plausible.

I also appreciated the complexity with which each culture’s perspective was portrayed, from the French to the English to the Native American tribes. The various tribes were rightly portrayed as such – not all washed together as one culture the way some books have done, but represented as separate peoples. No one group was completely in the right and no one was completely in the wrong. To me, this seemed more true-to-life because life is messy and people are sinful regardless of what culture they belong to.

As with The Innkeeper’s Daughter, the descriptions in this novel were so rich I felt I could see, feel, hear and taste everything that happened in the story.

Themes:
You can’t truly understand another person’s choices unless you’ve walked in their shoes.

Be careful judging others because not everyone is as they seem.

Ending:
The ending was thorough and satisfying. It made me smile.

Overall Rating:

5 out of 5 stars

This review was originally posted on my blog on June 18, 2018.
The Capture Bride is a well written historical romance.  I enjoyed the plot, characters and the author's writing.  Fans of the genre historical romance will enjoy this book.  I highly recommend.
This was a different type of read for me. I haven't really read many historical books in general so I wasn't sure what to expect. In the end I really enjoyed it.

The characters were both interesting and deep and I was actually interested in everything happening around them as well. The book felt real to the time and real to the characters as well. I also really loved the cover, it's simple and I don't usually like covers with photography on them but I think this one fits perfectly.

I'll definitely be reading the other books in this series.
I thought this a interesting story but the writing style kind of made me lost a couple of times , but that's just me something I'm not used to it was still a unique way of style . I also couldn't really connect with the characters I wanted to but I just couldn't .
This is a very well written book that holds your attention from beginning to end. It has action, drama and romance. It is a clean christian book that is written in such a way that you're not just reading, you're seeing it  You won't regret getting this book. Thank you Barbour Publishing via NetGalley for the free copy of this book. This is my honest opinion.
3.5 Stars.
This one is my favorite book in this series so far. Im not reading them in order, they are different authors with different fictional stories of strong women. I am a Michelle Griep fan.
This Daughter of the Mayflower is named Mercy. She is half white and half native. She struggles in her life with balance and understanding. Balance between her two worlds. Balance with vulnerability vs strength. Love and loss. Faith.
This is a mostly clean romance. She is a scout who has to pose as a wife to a man who is a condemned traitor to deliver gold by wagon to another fort. Of course, there is a lot that happens and almost everything goes wrong. A lot of it is predictable, but still a nice and easy read.
**There is kissing, talking of her curves, natives making crude comments that you don't understand, talk of sex (without the actual word or deed), and some impure thoughts. You are told when someone uses foul language, but never the words.

I received an advanced copy from the publisher through Net Gallery as a free gift. My opinions are my own. Some of my book may be different from the final printed copy.
This was the first book by Michelle Griep that I have read, and I am looking forward to reading more books by this author. I found this book to be well written and to have an original and interesting plot. The French and Indian War is not a topic that is often covered in fiction books, and I always enjoy reading and learning about new things and time periods.
The only thing that I did not like was the lack of explanation as to how Mercy fits into the Lytton family. There is just a passing mention of her ancestors. Other than that, I greatly enjoyed this book, and I look forward to the rest of the series.
This is the 3rd book I read by author Michelle Griep.  But The Captured Bride  is by far my favorite.  I have really enjoyed the entire Mayflower Bride series written by several different authors. All books in the series are filled with history, intrigue, romance and have kept my attention throughout.  Captured Bride was no exception.  It was sometimes confusing as details were purposely withheld to maintain some of the mystery.  But eventually all the pieces come together.  I like books that aren’t completely predictable.
	The Captured Bride is a great frontier is a great frontier story.  The main characters Elias and Mercy were very interesting.  Their characters played out way different than what I had anticipated.  I love the themes of forgiveness, trust, and letting go of the past that were woven into the story.  The Captured Bride had a great balance of romance and adventure.  It was a wonderful historical book which a hated to see end.  I received a copy of The Captured Bride in exchange for my honest review.
      I posted my review on Amazon, CBD, goodreads
I really liked both main characters in this story, I couldn't help but want them to succeed in their quest. The story was also very interesting and kept me reading. However, there was a heavy religious aspect to the story which I didn't enjoy as much but that is more personal than anything else.