The Captured Bride

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 Aug 2018

Intense story from the French & Indian war about a cross breed Mohawk Scout who works with a Queens Ranger. They are paired with a French traitor to pose as a family moving across Upstate NY to the next Fort. This is country I'm familiar with, and find the description of the woods and plant therein quite accurate, bringing back memories of the area where I grew up.

Mercy is unique in being a female scout, as well as being unusually tall and with blood of an Indian leader. Elias also has an unusual background and is not as he seems. He's on an important mission involving many lives. Their trip us full of danger, mystery and secrets with lessons and growth in faith. Christian Historical Fiction.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher and NetGalley book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.”
I guess I should have expected it based on the title, but I wasn't at all ready for the bride to be captured.  LOL, then I couldn't put the book down because I had to know what happened next.  This is such a great series, I have enjoyed each one!
I loved that this story did not follow the typical, historical romance 'formula'. It was a very unique tale that immediately drew me in. Not only is this a very well-written book with wonderfully-interesting characters, but the suspense builds at just the right pace as the story unfolds. A great series starter!
*Thank you to Netgalley and Barbour publishing for this free copy in exchange for an honest review*

So I’m out of order buuut this is the second book by Miss Griep I’ve read. Gee stories seem to resonate with me the best between all the authors and I think it’s because she’s so good at being historical accurate while also modernizing the story!
The French and Indian War is raging and people on both sides are being forced to choose sides continually.  Mercy Lytton is special.  She was raised by the Mohawks and has skills like no other.  She scouts for a group being sent on a mission by the English.  Of course it doesn't turn out to be so simple.  It never is.  She crossed paths with Elias Dubois, who ha been spared from hanging for a special mission.

A good read that fills up several hours.
Good read and great adventure! Lots of twists and turns that you never see coming. If you enjoy spies, intrigue, diversion with a little drama and romance then the Captive Bride is a good read for you!
My Penny's worth
Captured
Mercy Lytton and Elias Dubois are both quality characters whose lives intrigued me from the start. One has a captured heart tight in its denial, keeping love at a distance, and the other captured and in jail. Both weary that their emotions will get them caught by the enemy. What a brilliant combination by Michelle Griep.  I love these two as they travel together on a journey of knowledge and danger. Consequently, I sensed that fear in the writing as if it were I only inches away from being caught. I held my breath.

A complex character
My favourite person out of the two, however, is the complex, Elias Dubois. This passage sums him up for me,  “Yes despite his rugged exterior and the fact that he rode toward God knew how many years of imprisonment, he guided the horses as if he were on a Sunday drive. A strange contentedness flowed from him as if he’d lived and walked around in hunger and need, then strolled out the other side a more peaceful soul for the journey.”

A Gem
One of my favourite lines is “Outside; water dripped everywhere. Heaven’s tears, weeping life into the earth.” I love this image.

Other characters that found their way into my heart or not
Matthew the ranger, the dependable father-like figure who looks out for Mercy. He completes the triangle of love. And of course, you must have a fly in the ointment to keep you on your toes, Rufus. Yes, he annoyed me, but he plays an important role, and that is all I am saying!

Tension and distraction
There is plenty of tension and distraction to keep you captivated with Mercy blowing hot and cold, Matthew trying to keep them all on track and Elias trying to rule the roost by being in charge. The captured man knowing more than his jailors and Rufus disappearing when the jobs need to be done!

All in all, I enjoyed this book and would like to give it ***** stars as it kept me up long after my bedtime.

Thank you, Michelle Griep, for writing this gripping novel.

*I received this book for free. No compensation was received, and all opinions are my own.*
Of the Daughters of the Mayflower series, this one is my favorite so far.  Mercy Lytton is a woman portraying surety while, in reality, she is living on quicksand.  She straddles two cultures, both of which have strict expectations of what a woman "should" and "can" do.  None of those options ever appealed to Mercy, and so she forged her own way as a guide and a scout.  Her incredible eyesight allows her a measure of success in attaining her freedom and independence.  But is she so focused on the distance that she will miss what's right in front of her?

Mercy is a strong, determined, and keen young woman of great integrity.  She is a worthy role model to all young people.

Elias Dubois is easily one of my favorite characters.  At first glance, he appears to be shrouded in mystery.  He has been branded a traitor, but he does not carry himself as a traitor might be expected to.  He is not shifty, nor manipulative.  He is quiet, though.  He uses no more words than what is necessary in any given moment.  He does not deny that he knows more than he is saying.  In fact, he says nothing at all.  Elias is my absolute definition of straight forward, and I really loved reading his story.

This is a heartwarming, gripping journey for these two characters.  It was an easy one-night read and is one that I know I will return to more than once.
This is an action packed book from the first page. Never a dull moment.

Mercy is such a strong and brave young woman. I never doubted her abilities to survive the situations she was put in. Yet, we caught glimpses of her vulnerability and her need for help at times.

In the form of Elias.

Another, strong character and I wondered at who he really was. His story is kept hidden and slowly revealed throughout the book.

I loved this early look at America and the things going on in our country so long ago. If you like historical romance you will enjoy this one.

A copy of this book was given to me through the Celebrate Lit Team. All opinions are my own.
This book is the story of Mercy, half-white, half-Mohawk, who works as a scout during the French and Indian War, and Elias, a French traitor threatened with execution. Both join a plot where they have to act as spouses to each other.

The story is full of historical information about the French-Indian War. It was quite interesting to read since this bit of US history was reasonably new to me.
This one ranks right up there with my other favorite by Michelle Griep,  The Captive Heart. I love it! This intriguing tale kept the pages turning. And I always enjoy getting a glimpse in to Native American history when it is done right, which this story does.
I received this advance copy from the publisher, but as always, my opinions are my own.
The Captured Bride by Michelle Griep is the 3rd book in a wonderful series that I’m really enjoying.  This one is about a set up of a relationship between a guy and a girl.  These two main characters have to agree to an arrangement that will help the ultimate goal come about.  They need to take the direction of one another at times and there is battle of the wills being played out.  There is an older mentor-type man character that I really enjoyed and watching them journey through this adventure was quite the ride.  I liked how the author incorporated the American Indians in her writing of this Historical fiction.
I received a copy of this book in exchange for my honest review.

Also posted on B&N and CBD
I really liked the relationship between Mercy and Elias. Elias has secrets that he will do anything to keep and Mercy is 1/2 White and 1/2 Indian and she has never been one of the girls. When her dad tells her she will pretend to be married to Elias for the mission she becomes stubborn as ever but she gets to know Elias and Elias starts to fall for Mercy. This book was well written and it kept your attention well. I enjoyed this book better than one of the other Mayflower books (can't remember which one it was but it started with a little girl).

Received this book as an ARC for my honest review.
Whhhhyyyyy must the only thing the hero and heroine care about be getting to know each other ... Biblically? xP

Okay, I'll be serious and stop shocking y'all. ;) And I suppose it could be argued that they developed a relationship beyond being so moonstruck by each other's appearance that obviously they had to trust each other. Because hot people aren't evil. :P

It wasn't a terrible book, but there was a lot more physical attraction rather than actually developing their relationship.
Keeps you wanting to turn the pages and not stop! Keeps you from not putting it down and staying up late to read.
The Captured Bride is the third book in the Daughters of the Mayflower and my favorite so far in the series.

The book started off strong, but it was the second half of the story that was nearly unputdownable. I didn't expect the story to get so intense, but I loved it when that happened. I didn't know what was going to happen and wanted to just keep reading. :)

I liked how the romance built over time. It was sweet and I enjoyed reading it. The ending was great and I cannot wait to read the next book. I recommend The Captured Bride if you like this genre.

*Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention/review it on my blog. I was not required to give a positive review, only my honest opinion - which I've done. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own and I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.*
I truly enjoyed reading book 3 of this series.  A historical romance series that you can read as a stand alone book since each book in written by different authors.  They all touch upon faith.  The themes are about forgiveness, trust, love, faith, family and understanding.

This book introduces Elias Dubois a so-call traitor and Mercy Lytoon a scout that was raised among the Mohawks.  The story takes place during the French and Indian War of 1760.  These two are brought together to get the gold Elias had to the British.  Elias is a spy and needs to find a way to escape and finish his mission.  Things will happen along this journey that could jeopardize people’s lives and the safety of the nation.  They are both different in many ways but they have similar beliefs that will bring them to work together but will they path way or start a new journey together.

I enjoyed the writing and recommend this book.  If you enjoy historical romance novels that have some aspects of faith you should add this to your TBR pile or if you want to venture in a different genre  this might be once to consider.
I must admit that The Captured Bride was a tough read for me.  The premise was intriguing but there was nothing that really grabbed my attention until I was halfway through the book, which made a large part of the book hard for me to get through.  I do have to say that this is my only complaint.  The characters were well developed and your emotions are with the characters emotions every step of the way.  There is a faith aspect to the story but it did not feel overpowering or pushy in any way and it was a joy to see the adventure unfold.

Once the action started I could not put the book down.  The story picks up speed, grabs you and pulls you in, putting you right in the middle of the story, in that wilderness, with these characters that you have grown to love.  The wilderness setting is wonderful and I could see the primitive land, and historical aspects, with the help of some incredible writing by Michelle Griep.

Though the beginning was slow the last half of the book absolutely made up for it and I can honestly say it is worth the time and effort and an overall enjoyable read.
"My terms are these:  You will be part of a four-person squad, traveling under the guise of a family moving back to civilization.  Reach Fort Edward with the gold intact, and your execution will be pardoned, though the required jail time is non-negotiable."

"The Captured Bride" (2018, Barbour) by Michelle Griep is third in "The Daughters of the Mayflower" series.  Books one and two are:

Book One:  The Mayflower Bride
Book Two:  The Pirate Bride

The Captured Bride" is a Christian historical romance set in fictional "Fort Wilderness, upper New York, 1759, five years into the French and Indian War."

Historical Background from Wikipedia:  For those who need a refresher (like me):  "The French and Indian War comprised the North American theater of the worldwide Seven Years' War of 1756–63. It pitted the colonies of British America against those of New France."

This is definitely a standalone story, linked to the previous book only in that the heroine is a descendant of characters in book one and/or two.  (I recognized the heroine's last name, but didn't find information to piece together the exact connection.  My ARC copy has the heading "The Lytton Family Tree" in the preface, but no family tree underneath.  I assume this information is in the final copy.)

I requested The Captured Bride from Netgalley because Michelle Griep is one of my favorite authors!

Rating: 4 1/2 stars

The heroine:  Mercy Lytton is a scout for a British army brigadier general, and she is "tired of straddling the line between male and female, native and white."  She still has a chip on her shoulder against her deceased mother, which colors how she sees life.  Mercy is now at a crossroads in her life, as this is her captain's last mission before retirement.

The hero:  Elias Dubois, a Frenchman and a "condemned traitor," has been assigned to be a fake husband to Mercy for the duration of her mission.  He's an unusual choice for a hero.  Throughout his life, Elias has been a source of disappointment for his father and grandfather, which is a recurring throughout the book.

Christian elements:

*Mercy's captain is a Christian and helps to teach her wisdom in the Lord.  "The man was forever prattling on about God's great love for her."  This book does not have Bible verses - or if it does, there aren't many, for I don't remember any.  God is definitely present, but I might still call this book Christian Lite.

Is it clean/chaste?  Yes!  See additional comments below.

*Swearing:  "Blast" is used several times, including by at least one main character.  At one point, Mercy "bit back one of the many curses embedded in her head from a life amongst warriors."   At another, Elias "bit back a curse and spit out the nasty taste in his mouth….." and then asked forgiveness for the men harming him.

*Drinking:  The brigadier general drinks and "his red nose betrayed his daily indulgence."    A Christian main character trades rum for food.

What I liked:

*A lie by a main character is immediately acknowledged - to the reader and himself - for what it is.

*The following made me laugh:

Dubois, lifting his face to the ceiling:  "You never stop surprising me."
     General Bragg  "We've only recently met.
     Dubois:  "I was not talking to you.

What I didn’t like:

*The unknown fate of a minor character (I prefer all plot points to be wrapped up at the end.)

*The kisses between the main characters.  I feel that Griep tries to make the kisses follow a clean standard, while simultaneously describing the jittery butterfly-in-your-stomach feeling.  I don't read romances for simulated fire in the belly feelings.  I read them for the sweet stories - to make me happy!    There were several kisses - which is fine - but I think each one was accompanied by a chaste description of a fiery belly.  Which I could just do without.

***********

The bottom line:  This was a very enjoyable read, and I recommend this book to any fan of historical fiction.  I look forward to reading more by this author, and plan to read "A Tale of Two Hearts" this summer.
What a beautiful story! The Captured Bride had my attention from beginning to end and did not waiver once. This is a wonderful and unpredictable story with so many twists and turns. Griep created not only a memorable story, but also a character that makes an immeasurable impact on its reader. A definite must read!