The Captured Bride

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 01 Sep 2018

Having been exposed to the French and Indians war twice in a month, I have realised my knowledge of American history has been lacking! The Captured Bride by Michelle Griep, whilst framed as a romance, is a wild and dangerous adventure through a perilous period of time. No one is quite who them seems and, banded together facing daily challenges, each reveals themselves a little more.  Romance is there but there is a story much richer than than too!

Elias’s faith is deep-rooted and written into each part of his story. Mercy has experienced great pain and refuses to deal with her sorrow until life leaves her no option. There are several deaths, kidnappings and, generally, a lot more fighting and tension than I bargained for – it was great! Fast-paced, I tore through it, in one sitting, waiting and guessing how it would all work out! Along the way, it improved my understanding of the war! All in all, highly recommended and five out of five!
This tale will take you back to the harsh days of the French-Indian war in the early days of this country!
Mercy, the daughter of a Mohawk sachem father and a captive white woman mother, isn’t sure of her place or her loyalties in New York/Massachusetts during the French and Indian Wars of the 1700s. She allies with the British and serves as a scout, due to her excellent vision and learned tracking skills. Her mission is to deliver a load of French gold to the fort.
Elias Dubois, a prisoner, is also asked to join the mission and pose as Mercy’s husband, in name only as a ruse for the trip. He has his own mixed allegiances and had been imprisoned as a traitor. His name may be French, but his loyalties are not.
Join Mercy and Elias as they travel together and being to sort out their paths.
What was life like in pre-Independence times for those who ventured beyond the established colonies? In 1759, frontier life was hugely impacted by the French and Indian War. This military action was named for the two enemies the British faced, although the Indian tribes were divided in their support of the warring nations. Support depended on allegiances, which often changed. Nowhere is this more clearly demonstrated in The Captured Bride than by Mercy’s backstory.

Having lived in western Pennsylvania and western New York, I am familiar with some aspects of the French and Indian War. I knew almost nothing about action around the Mohawk and Hudson rivers. I had to look up a couple of locations – because that’s the sort of person I am – and so it was a touch confusing that Michelle Griep chose to use both real and imagined places in her narrative. The Captured Bride is, however, a good look at the realities of life in the wilderness. You had to keep your wits about you, as you never knew quite who you could trust, and you had to be prepared for anything you might encounter. Nothing could be done on impulse. Settlers didn’t have the stuff we do today, and personal property was to be treasured. These 18th century people did experience moments of joy and pain, though, just as we do today.

I stayed up late two nights in a row to read The Captured Bride. It was easy to immerse myself in this world, despite the very loud live music coming from the nearby golf club on the second night! While it is part of a series called The Daughters of the Mayflower, there is little to connect this novel to the two that came before it. Mercy makes a passing reference to characters in The Mayflower Bride when speaking of her ancestry, but there is nothing you need to know if this is your entrance to the series. Feel free to read the books in order or as standalones. The choice is yours.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing and was under no obligation to post a review.
This is the second book I read from Michelle Griep and it had me riveted!
It's a great historical novel set during the French and Indian wars. Even if I'm not an expert, the description of the scenery, customs and context feels accurate and well researched.
Mercy is a unique woman, half mohawk, half white, with a special gift, she has the keenest eye, which becomes very handy for a secret mission in this war. She is assigned with Elias Dubuois, considered a french spy and traitor and condemned to death, to take a french cargo of stolen gold in a wagon to a not so nearby fort. They must fake to be husband and wife in this adventure. Elias is promised deliverance after that. But Elias hides something to...
The story has a very engaging plot that captivated me until the end. There's adventure, intrigue and suspense, danger and peril, sweet romance, and even witt and humor.
The characters are so well defined, they felt real and relatable. I liked Mercy's strong and compassionate character. And Elias was a brave and caring man too. I liked that the relationship slowly grows along the story, and it was not love at first sight, but getting to know each other and discovering the depth and beauty of their personalities.
There's some violence and death, but not overly described.
The story also has a message of faith and trust in God that I liked. It left me inspired!
It's a beautiful story that I recommend to all historical lovers!
I received a copy of this book from Barbour Publishing via Netgalley. This is my voluntary and honest opinion.
The Captured Bride is the third book in the multi-author Daughters of the Mayflower series with heroines linked by a family tree, and is the reason I began reading this series. I have absolutely loved the novels I’ve read by Michelle Griep, and this, as I expected, was no exception.

Exploring issues of trust, faith, and loyalty while placing a resourceful heroine and an unarmed hero in difficult situations, this is a story that will thrill lovers of adventure, romance, and of stories set during the French and Indian War. Mercy Lytton, as the daughter of a Mohawk chief and a white captive, is an interesting character and I enjoyed watching her and Elias Dubois, a man with a few secrets of his own, grow and learn and, eventually, love.

While the writing of this series is slightly uneven, not so with The Captured Bride. The writing, the characters, the history, and the plot are all enjoyable. Easily, and predictably, my favorite of the first four books of the series.

This review refers to a NetGalley e-galley read courtesy of the publisher. All opinions expressed are my own.
This is a fantastic historical romance!

The characters are incredibly well developed and easy to connect with. This is true of many of them, not just the two main ones. Both Mercy and Elias has deep seated wounds from their pasts. They were shaped by things they were told by family members raising them, just as we all are. The journeys there are on are shaped by those wounds and will hopefully bring them healing.

The action and adventure is fabulous. They face many dangers that require them to work together to survive. At first they are so at odds with each other that their ability to do so is really in question. They discover strengths and weaknesses that they didn’t know they had. There are also strong believers in God that are working with them. They step up and and help point them to Him.

I received a complimentary copy of this book through NetGalley. I have chosen to write this review to express my personal opinion.

Disclaimer: *Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a copy of this book for free in the hope that I would mention/review it on my blog. I was not required to give a positive review, only my honest opinion - which I've done. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.*
I’ve always been fascinated by books written about this time period. Mostly because I am Native American.

Michelle has written a wonderful book. I love how the characters interact and how their faith is shared throughout the book. Looking forward to reading more of her books.
The Captive Bride

By: Michelle Griep

This is #3 in the Mayflower Brides series and my favorite so far. Although it is part of a series I think that you could easily read this as a stand-alone novel.

The story is set 5 years into the French and Indian war. Without giving too much away Mercy Lytton, and Elias Dubois are thrust together in attempts to complete a mission of transferring gold from one fort to another. It seems simple but in 1759 wartime such travel is dangerous as is the difficulty of knowing who to trust.

I really enjoyed how easy it was to read this book. Griep did an excellent job at storytelling, giving the right amount of detail to each area of this story and, allowing you to understand the plot and characters without lacking in description or being wordy. Information was delivered to the reader at just the right moments to keep this story stimulating. I did not want to put this book down.

I received a copy of this book for free in return for my honest opinion, which I gave.
The book was a very enjoyable read, I have been getting into reading Historical Fiction and come from someone who lives in the UK I found this to be very interesting. I liked the setting of the book, I kept imagining something of a Wild West when the sun is high and Native American's in their full beauty. I liked Mercy, she is of two worlds, the world in which she is half Mohawk and half Christian. She struggles to choose between her Father's beliefs and her Mothers but in the book, she soon starts to learn and understand more about the belief in God.
I have to admit she is a big feminist, throughout the book she clashes with the men who keep pushing her to side while she is stubbornly determined to do the things that she knows best. Which is why I really enjoyed the relationship between Mercy and Elias, while Mercy doesn't like the man at first she later discovers how much of aa respected man he is, he knows of her skills and her beliefs, and he doesn't push her to do things she doesn't want to do. He may be a traitor but he is a decent honest man.
I loved this book, This lively adventurous tale with elements of romance and faith blended perfectly together. A lot happens within this story, yet at the same time it has a relaxed feeling about it.

The setting is the French - Indian War; which is not my first type of time period that I would turn too. But it was so well written and dangerously engaging that I could stop reading until I reached the end. The four main characters were absolutely charming.
This is the third book in the Daughters of the Mayflower series, but it can be read as a standalone.                                                         Mercy Lytton and Elias Dubois are an unlikely team, considering they are at odds with one another from the minute they met. Along with the ranger Matthew Prinn, they are tasked with moving crates of silver and gold to an English fort during the French and Indian War. Though Elias has been branded as a traitor and Mercy is half Mohawk, half white, they have to band together for a common cause. When things go wrong and it becomes clear that they have been betrayed, both must fight for their lives. In the process they become attracted to one another, must learn to put aside assumptions, and must learn to trust in each other and God as they try to survive ambushes by the French and a rival Indian tribe, the Huron.
This was such a good book. I couldn't put it down because of the characters' constant peril and the unstoppable action. The writing was so descriptive and vivid that I felt like I was experiencing the events firsthand. There are some sad occurrences and violent situations that happen in the book, but they are handled well. The Biblical truths about God and trusting Him alone were so encouraging to me. There aren't many Christian authors who can apply Biblical principles in such a powerful and relevant way, but Michelle Griep is one of them. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Christian historical fiction and needs some encouragement.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. A positive review was not required, and all opinions expressed are entirely my own.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book it was stacked with so much action and adventure. The characters come to life and pull you into their lives. I love how much history I learned. Ms. Lytton is such a strong character I loved her.

I voluntarily reviewed an advanced reader copy of this book.
This is the second"bride" book I have read.  The story continues the excellent story telling I enjoyed in the first book.  There is enough action and adventure to keep it from being a romance yet has enough romance to interest romance genre readers too.  I love the ending and can't wait until the next book is released!
I am really enjoying this series!  I think it is such a unique concept to follow the family lineage of characters in a series and utilize different authors within the series.  Loving it!  This latest release in the Daughter’s of the Mayflower series was a great addition!  I loved the characters of Mercy and Elias.   I loved how strong and unconventional Mercy was.  She was the perfect heroine for this story.  Elias was my favorite character in the story.  He was quick witted, smart, and had so many layers that were revealed as this story unfolded.   This book was packed with adventure and danger at every twist and turn.  The crew of misfits had a difficult mission.  They traveled through rugged terrain, and faced numerous unforeseen situations and obstacles.  All of these things were what kept the pages turning!   I would definitely recommend this book to historical fiction fans, especially those who like a little adventure and some danger!
The Captured Bride was filled with history, adventure, heartache, romance, with a great touch of mystery.  Scenes so vividly described I felt as though I was right there witnessing them. Scenes so heart breaking at times you wanted to reach out and comfort them.  Just beautifully written.

So many great charactors who knew God and his promises. By the life they led there were able to show others how to lean on him when times came to tough to bear. God was just all the way throughout.

I admit the first few pages through me off and I almost quit reading. I think it was too much information for a book I knew nothing about.  So glad I kept on because this ended up being great Christian historical read that I did not want to put down. A great great read.
So good! I am a new fan of Michelle Griep and I want to read everything she writes. Most striking is the attention to both historical and sensory detail. This story was filled with adventure, espionage, romance, and God’s truth. I so enjoyed experience this journey with these characters as they grew in their understanding of God and in their love for each other.
I love history; however I'm not a big fan of studying wars and violent times. I think they should be studied because they were important times, but I just have a hard time with vivid descriptions of violence. When I chose to read The Captured Bride by Michelle Griep, I had mixed feelings about it. The description sounded as if it would be an interesting book, but I knew it was set during the French and Indian War and thought there would be a lot of violence in it; and there was. But The Captured Bride still captured my interest from the beginning. Here is why.

The expert storytelling drew me into the story, even as I was trying not to get too deep into the story. When I read, I usually get so involved in the story, that I really feel like I am there in the story, but if I know the book might be a little too scary or intense for me, I try not to get too involved in it. I guess it is more like I’m observing the action, than right there in the middle of it. I really tried to just observe this story, but that didn’t work out like I thought. No, I was there, escaping Indians, crossing flooded river, and keeping an eye out for any other dangers right along with Mercy, Elias, and Matthew. Skillful storytelling will do that to me, and The Captured Bride definitely did.  The thrilling adventure kept me reading on. Yes, I’ll admit that sometimes the violence level was a little too high for me, but I kept reading because I had to find out what happened next. While I wish that the violence had not been described in such great detail, it was not enough to make me stop reading. There was too much going on to stop! So, in spite of too much violence, I did enjoy reading this book.

I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction, especially fiction set during the French and Indian War. I would caution you though, that there is violence in this book so you can decide if you can handle it or not.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Barbour Publishing through NetGalley. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
This is the third book in the Daughters of the Mayflower series but it can be read as a stand-alone. The story is set during the French and Indian War in 1759 and features Mercy, the great-great-granddaughter of the couple from book 1. I thought this book was the best in the series yet. The heroine was born into in the Mohawk community, when her mother was taken captive, so she is comfortable living in the wilderness. Elias was an honorable character but he had some secrets. I liked how the author slowly revealed that not everything was as it seemed. The tension started to increase as the characters set out on their journey but I think after the halfway point is when the action and danger really escalated. There's much to keep your interest--whether it's the suspense, romance, and/or spiritual content--this story was an excellent entry in this series. I recommend it to readers who like strong MCs with redemptive character arcs that make you root for the HEA.
* I received this book free of charge from NetGalley.
This was the first book I have read in Daughters of the Mayflower series and my first By Michelle Griep. I had a hard time at first getting into this book and to be honest I don’t know why.

Elias Dubois makes me think of my Husband because they are silent at first and hard to read of who they are, plus with all the scuff and blue eyes.  Ha ha
Elias is not as he seems he has many secrets and does not give them freely. I love he was not at he seems. He is a good man and he has great Love for God. I love how it is so important to him what God thinks of Him and that he wants to do right by Him.

Mercy Lytton wow what a women. She is strong, smart and can move with out anyone knowing except Elias. But she is very feminine under all her toughness. She is half Indian and half white. Her love for God is equally as great as Elias’s. She has secrets of her own. She has a very hard time letting her feelings be known.

These two are thrown together and told they are to portend to be Married. Which I can only imagine how hard that would be. He is a prisoner and she is a scout. He thinks she is beautiful form the first moment he sees her. She sees him as a prisoner before she even know he is who she will have to pretend she is married to him.

Mercy starts to feel things forElias she has never felt for anyone before. But she try’s her hardest to push it away. He cares for her so much that he can’t leave her even when he could end up dead.  They end up having to really trust each other and learn that they can.  They also learn how strong their love 💕 for each other is.

It was a very Clean read. I wish the end was more expanded upon, them being married and their life after settling down.

It was a very good book. Once I got into it I really enjoyed it!

*I received a copy from Barbour Publishing, Inc through NetGalley. All opinions  are my very own.