Cover Image: Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass

Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass

This was a fun and interesting read with Harley Quinn at the forefront. I enjoyed the storyline and the artwork, even though, as an almost 30-year-old woman, I'm not the target audience.
This is a great start to introducing new readers to the DC universe and seeing Harley's origins. Well done!
This was fun but generally not my cup of tea. I can't fault it for not being the intended audience though!
DC comics has established a line of graphic novels meant for young readers. Dc Kids and DC Ink. Both of which are absolutely incredible. If you noticed the featured image at the top of this post, then you have noticed the DC Ink version of Harley Quinn Breaking Glass by Mariko Tamaki with art by Steve Pugh. Basically, Harley is sent to live with her grandmother, who had unfortunately passed by the time she arrived. The apartment complex is run by drag queens who somewhat take Harley in as they try to figure out what to do with her since she is still a minor. She still attends high school where she becomes an activist for the social policies that are changing in their community. This novel was incredibly fun and so well written. It changes the dynamic of the typical Harley upbringing, but this is to introduce her to a younger crowd, and which was done so well with bringing new dynamics into storylines. This was one of the first DC Ink novels I read and is still, by far, one of my favorites. As the story progresses issues of social injustice arise. Yet Harley is seen handling these issues as a character who is extremely driven, intelligent, and independent. All of these aspects work perfect for the 13-17 age group that this publication covers. Also, let me just add that a Harley REFUSES to wear a skimpy outfit in this novel. She absolutely refuses to sexualize herself and was not afraid to tell them no.
This transformation is changing the way we see Harley as a character. She is no longer being seen as just for laughs, or a sexy side-character. I highly encourage you to look at reviews and who is creating them before picking up this novel. Most of the negative ones are from middle aged men. Please tell me how that empty misogynistic mind is going to help encourage these younger readers to pick up this novel? What is that review telling them or encouraging?
Well done DC, and thank you so much for doing this for our young readers.
I think people could be a lot of things. Things you did not expect.
The graphic novel was amazing.  I enjoyed reading it.
Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass by Mariko Tamaki is great graphic novel about well-known character Harley Quinn. An origin story of Harley Quinn shows Harley as a teenager in Gotham. It is fun, the art is great, and it even includes the Joker.
Three stars. The Tamaki's are wonderful. I actually loved the artwork of this title as well. Great diverse cast and interesting reimagining of the characters
The only way I could have loved this book more was if they had actually gone for a Harley/Ivy/Joker love triangle, but friendship triangle is good too. This was a great reframing of Harley as a character and her journey as she tries to find out who she should be. I want good things for her, but sadly, it seems unlikely she'll get them.
Awesome comic and amazing art. I would definitely recommend this -- loving all of the new Harley Quinn action lately!
Teen Harley Quinn arrives at her grandmother's apartment only to find out that grandma has died. The apartment manager, Mama, takes her on and envelops her into his lovely group of drag queens (and surrogate moms). She enrolls in the local high school, makes friends with a passionate activist, Ivy, and enemies with the local little-rich-boy, John Kane. Harley soon finds her friends at odds with the wealthy Kanes who are destroying the neighborhood by tearing down homes, including Harley’s, and building towers.  Harley has a history of violence and retribution, is easily agitated, and has not yet figured out angels from devils. She gets roped by with the enigmatic Joker not realizing he is one of the devils her mother warned her about and manages to get herself in so much trouble that she is forced underground.
As I am not familiar with the Batman universe, I did not know that “historically” Harlequin was the Joker’s girlfriend until they had a falling out. In this rendition of the story, Harley was never friends with the Joker and quickly becomes his enemy. She is a complicated character with a weird vocabulary (booger is often repeated) and a firm sense of loyalty and willingness to fight for what she perceives as right. The title will appeal to younger teens as well as adult graphic novel readers and Gotham fans.
I think that people need to keep in mind while they are reviewing this book that it is geared towards middle schoolers. Not high schoolers or adults. It is going to be simpler and easier to understand. With that in mind I really enjoyed this comic. I think this is a good introduction for any middle schooler who wants to get into Harley Quinn and the lore of Gotham. I thought that the artwork was cute (again, it is for children) and I liked the story. I thought that it was a good introduction for kids to get into this world and encourage them to read more comics. I think this would be a great addition to any library or personal collection!
The art of this graphic novel is fantastic; very smooth shading and highly detailed. The story is a little heavy on the whimsy, but since this is a teen interpretation of Harley, it makes sense to go hard on the cute factor. Tamaki does a good job of working up to Harley's darkness (and the darkness of the story). I do appreciate that the Joker of this version is essentially a hipster in the making, because no one wants to listen to white boys talk about film. His costume was also a wonderfully creepy interpretation of the Joker persona.

In general, I loved this re-interpretation of these characters, with Ivy being the weakest and least involved, sadly. Her family and places important to her were important to the plot, but she herself felt kind of scarce. I think I've heard there will be a sequel to this, so hopefully that was all buildup to a stronger connection between Ivy and Harley. Overall, absolutely worth a read, if nothing else than for the art and the fantastic drag queen names.
Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass takes on gentrification in its anti-heroine origin story. In this version Harley is a bubbly and outgoing teen that actually has a moral compass. When she is sent to live with her grandmother in Gotham City, she discovers her grandmother has died, but apartment manager Mama, a white, gay man who also manages the local drag queen bar, lets her stay. Harley finds her place among a colorful “mutiny of queens” and makes a new best friend, Ivy Du-Barry also known as Poison Ivy. Harley is introduced to the concept of gentrification and activism as the two form protests against the high school film club, who refuses to include movies directed by women and people of color. Gentrification hits home for Harley when Mama receives news of an impending eviction and crosses paths with the Joker.

Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass is a fast, fun read. The text pops just like Harley's personality. I liked the juxtaposition between activism and chaos that Harley and Joker are known for in the DC universe. I also enjoyed learning more about Harley's background in flashbacks, shaded in orange. The diverse cast of characters is a huge plus and welcomed. While I appreciated the discussion of the impact of gentrification, it did come across as a bit heavy handed. I also did not care for the Joker and his real identity is a bit anti-climatic. The illustrations by Pugh are fantastic and really make this graphic novel come alive. When characters are truly in their element, their trademark colors are used: a red and black scheme for Harley, shades of green for Ivy, and the Joker’s purple. Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass is a nuanced, social conscious graphic novel that will not have a hard time finding an audience.
I found this super interesting, I liked that the Harley killed the Joker instead she doesn't want to fall in love with him like in cannon.
The dialogue in this graphic novel was spot on, Tamaki did a great job at capturing Harley's personality and voice- I even read it in her accent in some parts!
This Harley Quinn was more quirky and fun-loving, though clearly wanted to stick up and defend people close to her.

It was exciting to see who all showed up at Gotham High: Poison Ivy, the Joker, and a more dark and brooding character as well! ;)

Ivy was the confident and courageous friend that worked just great with Harley, she was angrier but also very active and encouraging Harley to take a stand as well.

When Joker showed up, I liked the parts with him and was eagerly turning pages to find out if he would ever take that mask off. This joker was more of a trouble-maker and had a mask over his face, he runs into Harley and they form a kind of alliance if you want to call it that.

Harley was torn in this graphic novel, and I think Tamaki did a great job of showing this in her decisions and expressions. Harley was very much breaking glass in this story! :D

This graphic novel I think is more teen, not middle-grade, but not really adult either. The plot progressed nicely and was narrated by our very own Harley Quinn, which made it all the more funny and unique.
 'Cause, of course, Harley explains things in her own kind of way.

There was a huge plot twist in the last several pages that really caught me by surprise. It made it even more interesting of a read, especially everything that happened afterward! There was a lot intertwined in the last few pages, a lot explained, and even more hinted at!
 I'm really looking forward to the next installment, so I can find out what happens next!

3.5 stars!!
While not exactly the characters or background stories I am accustomed to with three such iconic characters from the DC canon, if taken on its own merits that is a LOT to love about Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass, which opens when a 15-year-old Harleen Quinn is sent to Gotham City by her mother to live. In the big bad city Harleen is befriended by the unlikely Mama, a chubby drag queen who ultimately takes the girl under her wing, Harleen adoring her as a surrogate mom as she also bonds with the other drag queens at Mama's club. It's through these new friends, as well as the meeting of a girl named Ivy at school, that Harley comes to learn about the serious divisions between the rich and the poor in Gotham - the rich fully embodied by the evil, selfish, hideously-rich Kane family (the heir of which, teenager John Kane, also taking great pains to taunt Ivy and Harleen in school), who seem determined to own the city, and to and including their efforts at gentrification that could destroy both Ivy's family and Mama's livelihood in almost a single blow ... until Harleen meets yet another new Gothamite friend in the form of a young man wearing a mask he refuses to take off, who appears to want to topple Gotham's elite even at the fire and brimstone-like destruction of the city itself. A man who just calls himself "Joker". While as far as I can tell these are all basically different takes on each character (Ivy a hardcore activist and champion of human rights, Harleen still "out there" but very toned-down/coming across more like a vigilante hero here than an arch-criminal, and - well, let's not get into The Joker), what makes this graphic novel such an engrossing read is how writer Mariko Tamaki has caught the basic personalities of each character so perfectly, each so readily recognizable that you have no problem following any of them onto these strange, altered paths. All of this is only enhanced by Steve Pugh's art, often so reflective of Harleen's childlike mentality or Joker's frenetic insanity or Ivy as the eye of the storm she creates herself, as the situation warrants (even his use of color is a spot-on at creating mood).  I don't know if I can handle a Harley Quinn who almost seems like "the goody guy" in the story, but reading this knowing what and who her character becomes later on poses some fascinating questions about how in the world she gets there.  4.5/5 stars

NOTE: I received a free ARC of this title from NetGalley and the publisher, in exchange for an honest review.
This was a cute take on Harley Quinn's story and I really enjoyed the art (the colors were particularly wonderful). I am glad DC is doing a YA take on their characters because it's a fun way to read about them

I enjoy Harley Quinn on her own/without the Joker best so I really like that she got her own book. I also liked that they let her design her own costume. The skimpy costume schtick is beyond overdone! She is way too smart in this book for that trope. Also, like how they kept her whacky sense of humor without making her seem childish and annoying.

It was also really cool to see LGBTQA+ characters in the center of a story and not have them be a joke.

The ending seems unfinished but I'm hoping that means that there is a sequel. I want more of this series and I want her to take on the Joker and win.
Absolutely loved it. Harly is my favorite DC anti-hero/villain and I love this portrayal of her. Especially since she doesn't want to fall in love with the joker but kill him. It's amazing. Also appreciated the drag queen characters, they were awesome
Harleen has been living above a cabaret with the drag queen Mama ever since her mother sent her to live in Gotham while working on a cruise. That area of Gotham is part of a wave of gentrification, however, and soon they won't have a place to live. She's angry, and will have to side with her friend Ivy from Gotham High to work for a peaceful solution, or with the Joker, who plans to take down Gotham's corporations one at a time.

This volume is written by Eisner Award and Caldecott Honor-winning author Mariko Tamak, and is in the same vein as Lauryn Miracle's "Under The Moon." The art is mostly black and white with flashes of red, in keeping with traditional Harley Quinn colors. The DC character is reimagined here as a young adult for younger readers, so Harley Quinn isn't starting out the gymnastic psychiatrist that had been working with the Joker at Arkham Asylum before he broke her mind. Instead, as the first of the YA branded DC Ink imprint, Harleen Quinzel is a weird high schooler and destroys things not for the joy of chaos, but because she's starting off as an anti-hero. Growing up poor and constantly moving means that she and her mother had always been hovering around the poverty line, and she got a record while trying to right the wrongs she saw. Ivy is also reimagined here as a woke high school activist trying to campaign for equality, awareness of the potential harm done to the planet, as well as the woeful lack of representation in media by women or people of color.

Teenagers often don't feel as though they can do much, especially when you have families like the Keanes, who are rich and own Millenium Developments. They intend to buy up the entire downtown area, so that local grocers, the cabaret, and much of the lower rent areas would be redone in their image of the future. Just to drive home that they're obnoxious, their son is Ivy and Harley's classmate, and blows off their suggestions for the film club, and their followers are only too willing to smash in windows and spray paint the businesses that are trying to hold out against gentrification. In a similar vein, the Joker here is also reimagined and also very willing to vandalize and set things on fire.

Those aware of the tropes will figure out who is who long before the reveal, but it's a great start with a whole new series. The Batman mythos has been redone and reimagined several times, and this isn't the first time it's been done in YA format. Rather than the potentially sillier DC Girls series or some of the other teen comics, this is a potentially darker series. There are bombs, slurs, the F bomb and actual juvenile hall. It's darker in a realistic way, and it'll be fascinating to see how the rest of the series continues. I adore Harley Quinn in the main continuity, and this loopy teenage version is just as much fun to follow.
I love Harley Quinn! The illustrations and story are amazing in this comic. I need a physical copy to actually admire it.
This comic is about how Harley Quinn goes from quirky high school girl to bad ass bad girl. It also tells how she met Joker 🃏.
Loved it!
Thank you #netgalley , author and publisher for the earc this was not a disappointment!
My biggest hang up with this book is the baggage that comes with the relationship of Harley and the Joker. I was hoping for a title that excluded him from the storyline, but no luck. The book will appeal to female teen fans of Harley Quinn.