Women Who Love Monsters

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 31 May 2019

I really tried to get into this book and for some reason I could not.  I typically enjoy this genre and can finish a book with no issues. I am going to take a break from this book and would like to give it another chance.
I've received a ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Supernatural romances have always been a hit or miss for me. The stories we're somewhat interesting but most fell flat. Just wasn't my cup of tea but I will say, I did like how multiple author's took part to share their sample writings.
This was a good group of stories that focused not just on the typical damsel in distress meets strong vampire, but on also the other kinds of monsters like cave dwellers and even house spirits. It was a good mix of adventure, romance, and monsters for me and I enjoyed the length of each story. None seemed to be too long or too short to enjoy in one sitting. I did find myself wishing that a lot of them weren't just chapters from inside longer works and thought they would work better if they were all self-explanatory stand-alone stories. However, it was still a good read and that's the only bad thing I could find to say about it.
While I ultimately really enjoyed WOMEN WHO LOVE MONSTERS, but the connection between the stories and the title and stated theme is a bit slippery.  The best of the stories really do explore the connection between women and the monstrous -- be that horrors from the dark, abusive men, magical races, or those who seem to be our enemy.  The best of these stories also explore different motivations for loving the monster like need, conquest, a desire for power, a wounded soul,  an ancient urge, or even the desire to become a monster herself.

That said, the frame shifts jarringly between stories.  The most constant theme is the erotic desire to make love to a monster and very few of the stories touch upon happily-ever-after situations.  Some of the excerpts and stories seem to offer very little in relation to the theme at all, unless you stretch its boundaries very wide.  If I were to rate the tries separately they would range from a grudging 1/5 to an enthusiastic 5/5 with the best being reminiscent of my favorite anthology of all time ALIEN SEX (Ellen Datlow, editor).

I have a particular interest in the borders between erotica and horror, and explorations of monstrous love interests that are not basically superheroes with no down side or neutered versions of their ancient selves.  Several of the stories in this anthology directly and successfully engage with this theme, and given the rarity of this kind of bold originality I can somewhat forgive the rest that were irrelevant, openly self-promotional, or merely benignly entertaining.

Review copy courtesy of Netgalley, 4/5 #DarkerThanThatFTW
This anthology pulls together a variety of works from a number of different authors to explore the ideas of what draws so many women to the "monster" .  The editor discusses stories from King Kong to the Swamp Thing, pointing out that women have been falling for "beasts" in literature and films for ages.  The stories in this book offer various takes on this theme.  Some are short stories, contained entirely here, others are a chapter or segment from a longer work, available (or not, in one case) elsewhere in its entirety.  I personally found the short stories more successful, and several had me seeking out the authors other work.  Almost all the stories have some sex or sometimes a lot of sex in them; several of the stories would definitely be classified as erotica.  Some are creepy, some are clever, some are a little funny...I think if you are a fan of the beauty and the beast genre (and for beast, it can be vampire, or werewolf, or swamp thing or alien or....) you will enjoy some, if not all, of the stories in this anthologies.  There were only a couple I didn't care for, but I think that just goes to personal taste.  All were well written and the entire anthology is well edited.  When it's piece culled from a longer book, the author makes it clear what the source material is, so you can hunt it down if you are so inclined. (Which in one case, I am!)
I received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

A great book with many little stories from different authors. A few stories I was drawn to more than others while some I just did not care for. A few I hope will become actual novels like The Beast, The Vampire's Heart, The Ripper Letter.

This book did a wonderful job with listing the stories by which author so you can easily navigate to whom you wanted to read or just read from cover to cover. Very short excerpts, stories, chapters of the book, and so forth that kept things on their toes but these 13 women sure stepped out of their comfort zone to see what it is like to love a monster.
A good collection of samples a great way to find new authors to read I liked a couple more than the others but overall they were all pretty good
Women Who Love Monsters is a collection of 13 examples of women stepping out of their comfort zone, and their species, to see if the ....grass is greener on the other side.

I found myself reading the whole thing at once.  There are some very short excerpts, short stories, chapters of books, etc.  You never know what to expect when beginning a new title.  Speaking of titles, the book has them all listed in several locations along with the name of each author, to make it easy to move around in the book if you choose.  I appreciate that greatly from having experience with the lack of a way to easily navigate.

My favorite entries were The Ripper Letter by Katherine Ramsland, After Hours on Bourbon Street by Trinity Blacio, and The Vampire's Heart by CB Archer.

Stories by Cecilia Tan * Jamie K. Schmidt * Laura Antoniou * Katherine Ramsland* Trinity Blacio* Nathan Pettigrew * j. Gambardella * Truth Venson * CB Archer * Jennifer Williams * Stanley B. Webb * Amy Stilgenbauer * Cynthia Ward

I would like to thank NetGalley and Riverdale Avenue Books for giving me a digital galley of this book.
I quite enjoyed this compilation, but like most collections some stories were better than others. Supernatural Romance is a big guilty pleasure of mine but many of the stories in this collection did not quite meet my expectations given the mention of the Shape of Water in the Description. - that's such a high bar to set! Nonetheless reading Women Who Love Monsters was a great collection to be curled up with on a rainy day as it;'s lots of fun.
This was a great anthology of the weird.  just a pinch of romance, a pinch of the macabre and a pinch of huh? What I did not like was the excerpts splattered between the stories.  that said, I'd read another one like it...if only to get the next installment for some of the shorts in this one. This review via NETGALLEY
Judging  by the way books about shifters, gargoyles and vampires to name just a few, a lot of women want ",monster's. This is a book of short stories that tell of women and the ones they want.  There were several  that I loved, that had different takes  than I have ever read before .One story is about something we see many times everyday. A definite monster that we don't see until it's too late.  The stories were great. I immediately went and bought books by the authors. Definitely a book to recommend.  I received this book from Net Galley for an honest review and no compensation.
Enjoyed this author sampling. Found a couple of new authors i will be watching for. Great way to check out new authors!
A strange but interesting book. Most of the stories fell absolutely flat (badly written, unsurprising and not sexy), but there were a couple of gems. The opening story by Cecilia Tan was short but sexy, and the long cave-set story by Truth Venson was weird but really stayed in my head. I'd like to read more of Venson's work – the rest felt a bit of a waste of time.
An okay set of stories - I can't really say which was my favorite.
This is the first book of Lori's that I have had the pleasure to read and I was well pleased with the book.  Strong characters and a great story line.  I can't wait to read more of her work.   Full of some short stories by some great authors.  I so could have kept reading each and every one more into detail.  I love short stories but I hate them too, cause there never is enough.  You want to read more and more of each story.
Could stop reading love it want more , a must read. Can't wait for more by this author.Looking forward for more.
Fabulous reads that definitely give you a taster of new and different authors. I if your a fan of the darker romance reads and not sure what to read next this a definite.
A nice book of short stories, all where well written and interesting to read.
Title: Women Who Love Monsters
Author: Various Authors
Publisher: Riverdale Avenue Books
Date of Publishing: March 6, 2018

This book given to me by NetGalley and Riverdale Avenue Books in exchange for my honest review.

I must admit this book gave me pause.  Some of the stories were great, others left me wanting more and still one or two left me cold and not caring if I read any of that authors other books.  All in all I will admit it is a great sampling of numerous authors and made me pick up a couple of the authors works.  Trinity Blacio, I had read before so I was expecting and received a fantastic read.  So much so that I stopped reading from my list of unread titles and reread her entire Running in fear series.

If you too are looking for new and interesting authors to try before putting out the expense for individual titles, this is a great group of writers that offer excerpts and short stories to give you a taste into a wide range of genres.  The monsters are found to be human in some stories that take you to the darker side of human nature and also paranormal that prove sometimes love can be found in the oddest of places.

I gave "Women Who Love Monsters" a 4 out of a total of 5 stars.
My fav in this book definitely is The Beast no doubt. It's perfect. Start with the sense of mystery and excitement.
Overall the book is worth reading but really hope The Beast will be full novel in the future.