Something in the Water

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Apr 2019

This book came highly recommended by several people that I trust.
While the ending did not come as a complete surprise, it did keep my attention throughout and kept me guessing.
I *really* enjoyed this book. It had me pondering what I would do if I was in the same situation, and nothing about the decisions made by the characters seemed unrealistic. Sometimes money makes people do horrible things. The pacing was spot on, and I loved all the twists and turns. So glad things turned out the way they did! I look forward to reading more by this author.
There are many good books, but few that have a near-perfect first chapter. But this one does. The author absolutely nails the opening, which btw begins with a woman googling the correct way to dig a grave, the proper height, width & depth etc.

And you tell me – how can any self respecting mystery / thriller fan not be immediately intrigued by that? But as they say, that is – both literally & metaphorically speaking – just the beginning – of this wild & wonderful ride that the author takes the readers on.

The story revolves around a seemingly perfect couple on their dream honeymoon in the turquoise waters of Bora Bora, Tahiti who find.. something in the water.

And it’s from that point on, from the point the readers “hear” the THUNK THUNK THUNK of something in the water colliding with the boat the honeymooners are on – that this book becomes un-putdownable.

Though just to be clear, this is not to say that the story doesn’t drag in places, or go around in circles at times. Or even that I am 100% sold on every aspect of the resolution. But still.. there is no denying the fact that this book did complete justice to the term ‘thriller’, and was one heck of a fast paced, exciting ride!

While also being the kind of story that makes you think and ponder on what would you have done? In a similar situation, would you have made the choices the protagonist made?

It sure made me think. And I came to the conclusion that I personally wouldn’t have picked up that something, or rather anything from the water in the first place. I’m just too much of a scaredy cat for that!

But hypothetically speaking, even if I had picked up that thing from the water, I don’t think I would have navigated the situation as the protagonist chose to – AT ALL.

And yet.. I could totally understand her, could see why she made the choices she made, and could even empathize with this crazy woman, her hair-brained choices, and sincerely wished for everything to turn out okay for her. Even wished her success with the darn grave digging she was doing!

Which, let’s face it, definitely speaks volumes about the persuasive quality of narration. But that’s not all. Like I mentioned above – this book / story has a lot going for it – from the intriguing premise to the un-putdownable-ness of the book, thanks to the thrilling ride it takes the readers on – this is an experience not to missed – especially for fans of this genre.
Something in the Water; I didn't love it, I didn't hate it. Just felt a whole lot of meh which is disappointing because any story that starts with a character telling you how they went to Google to learn how to properly bury a body is going to grab your attention- but after the author gets you the story drags on until it shifts into a bunch of fantastical actions then slows then again.

At the end of the novel we are left with a lot of important questions unanswered. I gave this story  3 stars mainly because the story had so much promise and this is the author's first novel.
This was a quick & easy read and a real "page turner". The story involves a honeymoon couple (Mark and Erin) who repeatedly make poor choices & end up in a real pickle. The tale starts out with the bride digging a grave for her new husband in the woods so you already know things didn't turn out well for them, but she's not just digging the grave, she's describing in detail how hard it is to actually dig the grave and how many metric tons is involved. There's interesting little quirky tidbits here & there that embellish the story in good ways (did you know that a Glock doesn't have a safety?) The couple start out as a golden pair full of glamour and promise. Despite knowing up front that events go South for the newlyweds, the story is akin to watching a train derail- I found myself plowing through the story to see how tangled Erin's web of deceit would become. Of note, the author is an accomplished actor and the story has already been acquired for the screenrights. Upon reflection, the story reads as though you are watching the story unfold. It should translate very readily to the big screen. #Netgalley (less)
Are you a fan of those movies or shows where you, as the viewer, know that the character is making a huge mistake. That they shouldn't open that door! Nothing good is behind there! Do you find yourself yelling at the screen hoping you can change the outcome? If you consistently put yourself in that situation and enjoy it, then Something in the Water is a read you will enjoy quite a lot.

This novel explores the whole idea of something being too good to be true, but the main character, Erin never seems to completely realize what situation she is in. It's incredibly frustrating, but the voice found throughout the novel is so enjoyable that you kind of don't care as much about Erin's naivety.

I'm looking forward to what comes next from this author!
Something in the Water kept me on the edge of my seat! Makes you wonder how you'd feel if this happened to you...  Highly recommended.
Loved this good. Great premise, carefully drawn characters.   So much fun.  Interesting little twist at the end!
Loved this book. I get why it was picked by Reese Witherspoon for her book club. Loved the jail characters
I thought this one was just ok. It had a lot of potential, but seemed to drag on too long. The main couple, you could just tell there was something not quite right about them. Interesting ending!
2.5 stars! It started interestingly enough but after the first pages, it all went downhill. The main character is a complete idiot, no redeeming qualities whatsoever, and her husband is a regular guy, completely flat as a character, except when he decides it’s ok to call his wife “stupid”, which he does every time they have an argument. While we can all agree that she is very, very stupid, it’s absolutely not ok to call your partner that, and that attitude it’s very normalized in the story, which makes me wonder if the author truly thinks that you can do that in an argument with your partner.
The writing was the one thing that made me rate this with 2.5 stars instead of 1, although please, please avoid going into every single detail of every single thing! This book could’ve easily been 100-150 pages shorter if it weren’t because the author needed to describe every.tiny.thing. However, this is the first book by her, so maybe next time she’ll fix that, so we can focus on her good writing without other distractions.
Great read! I sensed her husband secretly sucked but did not see the end coming. This was a fairly fast paced . I needed to know what happened at the end. I look forward to reading more by this author!
This book was hard to get through, primarily because I didn't like any of the characters; I think even stronger than that; I disliked the characters.  The plot was good, but hard to keep going when the characters are so un-intelligent.
Great read! I sensed her husband secretly sucked but did not see the end coming. This was a fairly fast paced book; it had good speed and I never found myself bored with it. I did find the main character annoyingly paranoid for most of the book but I looked past that because the plot of the story did have me hooked. I needed to know what happened at the end. I look forward to reading more by this author!
Erin, a promising documentary film producer, and Mark, an accomplished investment banker, find Something in the Water during their honeymoon in Bora Bora. A bag filled with cash, diamonds, a mobile phone and a USB card, which haunts them and changes their lives forever. They attempt to turn the bag in at their hotel, but it mysteriously returns to their room. Should they keep the contents? Will whoever lost the bag be returning for it? Will they look for Erin & Mark to recover the items? As they search for information about the bag and decide how to handle the treasure, they begin to have secrets from each other and lies become necessary to cover up their secrets. How much can Erin trust the man she married? Or is that her downfall, trusting Mark at all?

This novel has a slow, steady build, with much information on how to bury a body, how to clean a gun, and how to stage a missing person report. Erin is a researcher, looks into every topic, and explains it throughly for the reader as well. She is very developed as a character, but we don't get much of a glimpse of Mark and his personality. I enjoyed the book and the learning opportunities, but there is much that could be scaled down to make this a more intense thriller. The writing was beautiful, making me feel like I was in Bora Bora or London, depending on the setting. Overall, it is a good read from a debut author.
I am sorry for not reviewing fully but I don’t have the time to read this at the moment. I believe that it wouldn't benefit you as a publisher or your book if I only skimmed it and wrote a rushed review. Again, I am sorry for not fully reviewing!
I should have listened when a friend said "you're not going to like it".  I should have trusted.  The whole thing was ridiculous and convoluted.  I never liked a single character in it so their fates were of little consequence to me.  It starts off very strong, very interesting & catchy first chapter.  Then of course, Erin & Mark find "something in the water" on their honeymoon but it takes A LOOOOONNNNNGGG time to get there, like halfway through the book.  Then after that it gets a little more interesting, but very little.  Also remember, you don't like any of these people so you're not ever rooting for them, not even once.  I don't recommend this book, unless you're looking for something that you never have to think about and which requires no real commitment from you to read.  I do think the author has promise, but I will read reviews before reading anything from them again.
Another top notch thriller. This book has 2 newlyweds find something extraordinary in the water and with it comes many choices. This shows how greed, and human nature can skew your perception. I loved that every turn seemed to put another choice in front them. I kept thinking I had it figured out then went back and forth. I was so engaged in this book in devoured it. I found myself still thinking about it afterward and what would happen if any one of their choices went the other way.
Something in the Water was an intense and suspenseful novel!  Erin and her husband Mark travel to Bora Bora for their honeymoon.  There they discover something in the water while out scuba diving.  This changes Erin and Mark as they deal with the aftermath of their discovery.  They become a part of something secretive and dangerous whether they want to or not.  Everything changes in their lives and between them.  I just wanted to tell them to “leave it alone” but the story went on and the characters didn’t listen to me! The story is told from Erin’s viewpoint as she goes about her days doing her work and her interactions with Mark.  The story is told in an enjoyable way of Erin’s thoughts telling the story.
What an awesome crazy literary ride!! Who wouldn't love to be in Erin and Mark's place? Both ... successful. Both ... young. Both... happy & in love. They are planning a wedding and looking forward to an amazing honeymoon in Bora Bora! Perfect.
Well...
That is until Mark comes home to tell Erin that he lost his job and they'll have to cut corners on the wedding arrangements. Ok, well when you're madly in love nothing else matters right?
Well...
Wedding complete. Honeymoon underway. Marriage saved. In a perfectly splendid day, scuba diving is in order! I feel the warmth of the sun on my face as I read. Then...
"Thunk...thunk...thunk..." what is that noise? They are in the middle of the ocean? What has washed up? Erin and Mark decide to take their "find" back to hotel and think about what to do later.
Except...what's inside that "find", will forever change the course of their lives. What will they do? Who is to be trusted? Who is lying? You will no doubt read rapidly to get to the answers to those niggling questions!
Woohoo! 5 STARS!!!