Something in the Water

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 30 Apr 2019

This was a fast-paced, heart-pounding read. If life hadn't interrupted, I probably would have read it in one sitting. The protagonist is bumbling, yet well-intentioned and she keeps making glaringly obvious mistakes throughout the novel which serves to keep the reader interested.
I thought I'd love this book. The first chapter is spot on and grabbed me right away. It was so well written, the pacing was great and I loved it.  The pacing  for the next few chapters...really...slowed...things...down. There were so many lengthy details given about things that had no bearing on the plot.  Ultimately, I became bored and frustrated with the characters and the story line became really implausible.  It was a struggle to finish.

I received this copy from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
A British couple make a disturbing discovery while scuba diving in Bora Bora on their honeymoon and their lives are never the same.

This was fast-paced and interesting with a nice twist at the end and excellent character development. It made me ask myself what I would do in a similar situation. Recommended to all fans of suspense.

Many thanks to Netgalley, Ballantine Books and Catherine Steadman for my complimentary e-copy ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own.
Catherine Steadman is someone to watch, as far as I'm concerned after reading Something in the Water. This book had me REELING. I couldn't put it down! I'm definitely a fan -- can't wait to see what she comes out with next!
Nope. Stories can be  good books without foul language. If you feel the need to use foul language, at least use it when the characters are mad or scared. Not just in everyday conversation. If you think this is how people talk all the time then you need to widen your circle of friends.
Clever, thrilling, keeps you on the edge of your seat! Sometimes thrillers tend to all have the same storyline and you can guess the ending, not this one!! Highly recommend
Something in the Water hooked me from the first chapter and kept me guessing! Any book that is showcased is Reese's bookclub is sure to be a hit and this one did not disappoint.
Something in the Water was a book that I started on 2 different occasions.   WoW is all I can say and I should have just read through the first part of the book because once you are about a 1/4 of the way through you need a seat belt for the fantastic ride this wonderful debut novel takes you on.

Erin is a filmmaker who interviews convicted prisoners and makes a documentary on their lives and stories.  This is an interesting and intriguing aspect to this novel and creates a diversion throughout the book.  It also helps to build the characters and character development.   Erin is creative and definitely a fly by the seat of her pants girl.  She will often take risks and is spontaneous.   Mark is a financial advisor and is vastly different than Erin.  He is intelligent, guarded, and plans everything.   Erin and Mark work well together as a couple and balance their lives together.    They head to Bora Bora for the perfect honeymoon with great food, sun, and a little scuba diving.   Erin has to first overcome her fear of scuba diving but once she agrees to go the story begins to unfold.

There was a storm that hit the areas around the island and Erin and Mark have to travel further away to their dive destination.   Once there, their whole life is never the same again.   There is Something in the Water!   So many decisions are made and so many different paths unfold.   Erin and Mark make totally different decisions that go down different paths.  I found myself questioning what I would do in their circumstance and which path I would choose.  I absolutely loved this book and will probably reread it.   Thanks for the great book and opportunity to review it Netgalley.
In my opinion, this novel was a straight-up mess. I'm surprised that Reese Witherspoon chose this for her book club - not sure she read it first. The plot was pretty generic and very predictable. The main character made stupid choices over and over again - which aggravated me and resulted in me not caring at all what happened to her. This is suspense writing at its worst: lazy and boring.
A thrilling page-turner as Catherine Steadman builds the suspense and intrigue with twists and turns that leave you guessing and wanting to read more.
UMM OKAY. This book was so much better than I expected. I was initially drawn in when I discovered that Erin and Mark were going to the Four Seasons in Bora Bora – exactly where my husband and I spent half of our honeymoon two years ago. I miss it every day. What’s funny is that for me, the “something in the water” that freaked me out were the fish – I used to have a huuuuuge phobia. Seriously, I wouldn’t even snorkel. And when I did, I refused to look down for fear of seeing any fish. I did overcome that fear on the second resort we went to during this trip when we did an intro to scuba session, which I LOVED. I seriously want to become scuba certified.

ANYWAY. I loved this story. I started reading thanks to Netgalley because I had not heard of it before. Then I told some friends about it and found out it’s on Reese Witherspoon’s book club pick for that month. So I had a handful of people to discuss with. I loved it. I didn’t see any of it coming – it was a slow burn while the story built up but when it picked up it didn’t let you go. I didn’t see any of the twists coming. It was amazing. Go read it. Go.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for providing a copy of this book for an honest review.
I truly enjoyed this book! I loved the settings and the characters. I loved how the story was set up even though it felt like it took a while for something to happen. It was a great mystery/suspense novel. Once things started to pick up, I could not put the book down. It seems like most everything was wrapped up and questions answered, but there was one thing that didn't seem finished to me concerning Mark. Honestly, though, I kept hearing about this book so I had slightly higher expectations than I normally would and it definitely met them.
Thank you Netgalley for the ARC of Something in The Water by Catherine Steadman. I did enjoy this book, but I also listened to the audio and enjoyed it more. A young couple Erin and Mark leave for their honeymoon to Bora Bora. While there they discover something in the water that changes their lives. The booked grabbed me from page one, but became predictable as it progressed. Still it held my interest.
Loved the premise of this engaging and easy to read domestic thriller. Though I saw the ending coming, it didn't diminish the fun of the book. Thanks so much to the publisher for providing an ARC through NetGalley
Full review to be found at www.belleinabookshop.com

Powerhouse Reese Witherspoon jumped on the bookclub bandwagon a while ago and started her own. It’s an online thing run by her media company Hello Sunshine, and each month it features a new book that can be discussed virtually over Instagram, Facebook, Twitter … social media outlets, basically.  Quite a few books that I’ve already read and enjoyed have been on her list, and I’ve been introduced to some new ones that I’d never heard of before. I haven’t officially joined or anything, but as a Bookstagrammer and a book blogger, I follow along just so that I’m educated on what the new “IT book” is.

I say “It Book” because … well, I may be egregiously naive but it is still so bizarre to me just how much influence celebrities have on their followers. I read Chanel Cleeton’s Next Year In Havana months before it showed up on Reese’s bookclub radar and couldn’t stop raving about it to everyone I could talk to. It was an okay seller, but I could never find it in bookstores. But once Reese gave her seal of approval, it was splashed everywhere and instantly hopped its way onto the bestseller’s list. Not that I’m knocking Reese’s power to do good (because I think she’s awesome) it’s just … wow. Her opinion carries a lot of weight with readers. And you know what they say, right? With great power comes great responsibility.

I’m a NetGalley member and was sent Something in the Water for a read and review, via the publisher. A few months after I read it, the book ended up on Reese’s bookclub as her pick of the month and readers started going crazy over it.

I truly could not understand it. This book … well, it wasn’t that good. It was one of those stories that has a huge and gripping push of intrigue at the beginning but then fizzles out quickly, leaving it a book that’s hard to finish. It makes me wonder what pushes certain bookclubs to choose certain books – especially the prominent and celebrity book clubs. Is it as authentic a choice as readers deserve? Is it organically driven, or is it all about who knows who? Does Reese Witherspoon even read these books? Or does she read the synopsis her assistant wrote up for her, show up to the photoshoot and after a fair amount of styling, just poses beautifully for the photo with the book in her hand?

I guess we’ll never know. So, on to the review.

To the outside world, Erin and Mark have it all.

She’s a successful entrepreneurial filmmaker – one intent upon showcasing real life issues and doing it in a thought-provoking and intense fashion. He’s an investment banker, blindingly handsome each morning as he sets off for the office in a sharply cut suit. As the beautiful matched-set board a plane and head off for a honeymoon staged in the shamelessly romantic huts of Bora Bora, they both are etched deeply with that telltale newleywed glow.

But if someone scratched their flawless facade ever so slightly and saw right beneath the surface, they’d see the tarnish hiding there. The once-in-a-lifetime (and obscenely expensive, albeit prestigious) honeymoon was one set to be much longer … but the fact that Mark found himself suddenly without employment forced him to convince Erin to cut the trip nearly in half. Their dream wedding, the one they’d been planning for months down to the last gratuitous detail? Well, it was nipped and tucked within an inch of its monetary life, all so they could continue to pay the mortgage on their flat in the affluent part of the city. The lack of funds is putting a strain on the relationship – one that has them both wound as tightly as a taut rubber band –  but Erin is determined to keep a smile on her face and push on. This is, after all, what she wanted.

In an effort to keep her new husband happy and full of cheer, a scuba diving expedition is planned. Mark loves to be beneath the water, blotting out the sun and allowing himself to become consumed by the endless depths of the sea. But beneath that turquoise water that shines so much like the stone it’s named for, there is something lurking that is ugly and laced with evil. It’s something that Mark is inadvertently drawn to, and something Erin will never be able to forget … no matter the lengths she will subsequently go to.

Should they tell anyone what they found? It’s not the first question the pair asks, but it is one that lingers in the background. As their minds travel to all sorts of sordid places, Erin and Mark fight the urge to turn on one another. The bag could be the answer to all of their impending problems, and no one knows they have it … right? Except nothing is ever that easy. If something proves too good to be true then chances are, it is.

Where Mark is strategic, Erin is forceful. The two find themselves at odds at how to protect themselves and how to handle the prickly situation they have found themselves in. Both also discover that perhaps they don’t know the other as well as they first thought they did, and Erin must make decisions she never thought she’d ever have to make … all because of something in the water.

Something in the Water is the debut novel from Catherine Steadman, an actress best known for her role as Mabel Lane Fox in the critically acclaimed series Downton Abbey. The book is a New York Times bestseller and is currently being developed into a feature film. It has also been featured in Reese’s Book Club, partnered with Hello Sunshine.

It always makes me take pause when a book is showcased and blown sky high with publicity and hailed as something really special … and then I read it and just don’t get it. Is all the buzz and publicity authentic? Is this truly how readers feel about a particular novel, or is it just hype? And hey, why don’t I feel the same way? Initial reviews for the book were on the high end and almost unbelievably stellar, while more recent reviews have gone down in star level and acclaim.

Something in the Water has been described and hailed as a “truly clever psychological thriller” but … I just didn’t get that. The writing was amateurish at best. It was choppy to an almost cringe-worthy degree. The voice needed better clarity and the plot needed better editing. It felt inauthentic and silly, you know – like an actress thought so much of herself that she figured she could sit in front of a computer for a few hours and bang out a smash hit novel.

I found myself rushing to get through it because it just began to fall so terribly apart about halfway through. I had an overwhelming feeling that the author came and went in waves of genuinely caring about what she was writing and then not giving an absolute damn. I could almost sense the pauses in the author’s focus. The believability aspect went downhill faster than a fart in church as Erin’s actions became more and more erratic. I get it, she’s a sociopath but … can we make it just a little more believable, please? I just don’t get why this book was so popular. Is it because a celebrity wrote it? Is it because another celebrity vouched for it?

The first chapter was great, as a lot of them are in novels. I mean, the first sentence truly sucked me in. I was ready. I was intrigued. I was feeling all of those deliciously giddy feelings that I get when I sit down with a new thriller. I was ready to be scared, ready to begin winding my way through a thick plot and ready to find out what exactly was in that water! But as page after page was turned, I became more and more disappointed and I lost all sense of investment. It was all a little too contrived, and felt like 100 other bad books I’ve read before.

Sadly, I have to give this novel a mere 2 out of 5 stars. I know I’m somewhat in the minority here … at least according to Goodreads and the blogs, but still. This book is not worth wasting your time on if you are a real thriller connoisseur. Sometimes the writing should just be left to the real writers.
Thank you to Net Galley for an ARC of this book. The descriptions are wonderful, and the twists will keep you reading.
I was really looking forward to this book, it seemed right up my alley, but I couldn't even finish it!  I was so disappointed.  I'm not sure why it was so hyped up - the protagonist was unrelatable, unsympathetic and just straight up irritating!  I usually can't stand to not finish a novel but I put this one away and haven't thought twice about it, except to be bummed at how much I disliked it.
Stunning thriller.  Will be perfect for a book club read/recommendation.  Will also be used in upcoming display, assuming we have a copy that isn't checked out!
I enjoyed this book so much that I decided to get it on audible and listen as well.  I highly recommend both!.  I can't wait to see what Catherine comes up with next.  Excellent.
This story was so well developed from the beginning! I enjoyed each page and kept guessing who might be involved in the mystery. The pace was perfect and no wasted words...just adding to the story! Unfortunately, like so many authors, all the energy was spent on the “getting to the ending” and the ending left me cold...like another couple of weeks could have been spent “developing” a good ending. I was disappointed after such a good read!