Hope Never Dies

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: 14 Jun 2019

It reads like a comedy that I definitely would love if it became a movie series on Netflix.. Obama  should make it happen
Interesting concept. Good mystery, grabs your interest. The stereotypical cranky, old, white man is a little disappointing.
I will admit I only downloaded this because of the incredible cover—but it fully lived up to all its promise. It is basically the Obama/Biden bromance meme in book form. Joe Biden's voice is captured so effectively reading it almost feels like fan fiction. As well as being ridiculously entertaining, it also dealt with some pretty serious themes of legacies lost and times changing—cleverly, without ever mentioning the White House's current resident by name. The plot is not the most devilishly twisty or original, but it doesn't matter in a book this charming.
Honestly, if you loved the memes about Obama and Biden's bromance, then you need to read this book. Seriously, it's freaking hilarious. The jokes range from in-your-face to dry, passing remarks that leave you in stitches. I particularly loved the bit about the Geico gecko. We got in a physical copy of the arc at work and I read that part out loud and started crying from laughter. Not sure if my boss' wheezing laughter was from the bit I read or because I was cracking up, but it generated positive reactions. Every employee wants to read it now, Sisterhood-of-the-Traveling-Advanced-Readers'-Copy style.

A silly, lighthearted book highlighting the bromance between our two favorite political dudes. It's a quick and easy read and will leave you smiling. Seriously, I see no reason why you *shouldn't* read this book.
Thank you, Quirk Books and Netgalley, for the pre-pub ebook!

I'll admit that when I first saw this cover, I laughed and got excited. It looked amazing and campy and I expected it to be over-the-top funny. I can't say I was disappointed, but my expectations were off.

Despite being published by Quirk Books, this book takes itself rather seriously. There are funny parts, but not on the level of the bromance memes for Obama and Biden. It wouldn't have hurt to have been a bit campy, in my humble opinion, but overall it was an enjoyable read.
The idea of a book starring the former Vice-President as an amateur detective was intriguing, but the mystery itself could have been stronger.
Hooked by the amazing description and cover, I was just a little disappointed by this - it ended up being a little too campy for my taste. Also, there were a lot of moments, particularly in the beginning, where Barack and Joe's characterizations just didn't feel right to me. The plot is fast-paced and fun, but wildly unrealistic. Ah, but it was a lovely distraction. Was trying to decide between 2 or 3 stars and am leaning towards two right now.
Embracing the book's intentionally ridiculous premise, Shaffer has crafted his Obama/Biden bromance directly in the story of classic crime noir mysteries--complete with mystery, chase scenes, and sometimes corny dialogue.

Truthfully, the book is more restrained than I expected, drawing its humor from the premise and characters while keeping the events and tone somewhat within the bounds of realism. It's an effective balance between the absurdity of the ideas, the realism of the actual mystery, and the fun inherent to Shaffer's conception of these characters.

Shaffer isn't aiming for high art here--he admits as much in the opening author's note--but the book  does treat itself with an assumed level of seriousness. It balances the humor and adventure with an awareness of politics, social commentary, and nostalgia for one of America's favorite political bromances.

In short, "Hope Never Dies" is a fun read that delivers what it promises--an amusing noir mystery centered around "Amtrak" Joe and his friend/partner ex-President Barack Obama. The book embraces itself for what it is and manages to convey sincerity and heart amidst the hunt for clues, car chases--and, yes, a brief appearance by a unicorn.
I don't even know where to start on how happy this book made me. From the minute I saw the cover pop up on a friend's goodreads shelf it has done nothing but make me laugh. I even drew some fan art. not even kidding. This book is absurd in the best way. Don't expect a thought provoking plot, beautiful prose or mind-bending twists, but do expect something magical. I'm buying cases of this book for all my friends and relatives this Christmas. Thanks NetGalley!
O.k. y'all. I should have given this 3.5 stars but Biden and Obama? I gave it a 4 star rating. I love my mysteries. I also love my cozy mysteries. I like the lighter, and as other people have called this book, campier reads now and then. This was a first person narrative from Biden. What?! I love that this was written the way that I thought their relationship was. If you want a *fun* murder mystery and politics doesn't cloud your judgement ;) This is a fairly quick, fun read.

I "hope" there are more coming. (see what I did there lol)
A fun read, Hope Never Dies is an enjoyable way to pass a couple of hours. Those of us who sigh wistfully when remembering the halcyon Jobama days will be more appreciative of this book. Former Veep Biden is bored in Wilmington after leaving office, and feeling resentful of his (former?) BFF Barack's jet-setting vacation, hobnobbing with stars, Prime Ministers, and, it feels like, everyone who isn't named Joe Biden. When news comes to him of an old acquaintance's odd death, Biden begins to investigate, much to the lament of his 75-year-old knees. Will Joe solve the mystery? Will he and Barack ever again be as close as they were in DC? Will he decide to make another presidential bid? The answers to all these lie within.
This is an adorable, smile-till-your-face-hurts buddy mystery starring one Joe Biden (yes, THAT Biden) and his bff, Barack Obama. The text is loaded with policy references and personality quirks that will make anyone who misses the Obama years even more nostalgic for the past than we already are. In short, I loved it and it made me remember again why these two were such beloved leaders.
HOPE NEVER DIES had me at the start, with the cover showing Joe Biden driving a powerful-looking convertible with Barack Obama riding shotgun. The former President and Vice-President team up to investigate the suspicious death of Amtrak Joe's favorite conductor and try to do it while staying under the radar of the Feds, the Wilmington PD, the news media and even a motorcycle gang. Hopefully, the first in a series of Obama/Biden mysteries.
Fun premise but a little went a long way for me. Great cover (best of the year) and I'm sure this one will get loads of media attention. It was a nice break from some of the more serious books I've been reading lately.
Y’all.

Wut.

I honestly am not sure exactly how to go about reviewing this because it’s simultaneously amazing and also not particularly good. It’s a lot of fun but, as far as a mystery goes, it’s not very mysterious - the plot is pretty predictable. To be fair, though, I don’t think anyone would go into this for anything other than shits and giggles.

AND THE BROMANCE.

Which is actually rekindled throughout the story after the dynamic duo leave the White House and are unsure how (or whether) their friendship will continue. But what’s better for getting friends back together than a suspicious death?

This is campy as hell, no doubt about that. Containing some amazing moments such as (slight spoilers):

An intense fight on a train
Obama on a unicorn
A very dramatic “GET DOWN, MISTER PRESIDENT” (https://imgur.com/gallery/kOii8CZ)
The former POTUS wielding a sawed off shotgun
And a whole lot of Joe being slick as shit in a sweet pair of Ray-Ban aviators

Would totally recommend.
Terrific light reading for those who like Joe Biden and miss Barack Obama. Joe is his usual caring, avuncular self and Barack seems amused by his antics but more than happy to back him up like a real badass when necessary.