Romeo and Juliet

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Stacy King is a marvelous writer. I love her manga adaptations of classics (even though I’ve only read two so far). I enjoy her adaptation even more due to the fact that she puts so much research into her work – you can clearly see that in the final pages of the manga where she explains how she visited the locations mentioned in the story and puts her sketches.

I enjoyed the art very much and the characterisation through it. For example, I loved that every male character had a specific sword which was weirdly very fitting for his character.

There is no point in putting a summary of the story of Romeo and Juliet since this play by Shakespeare is one of the most famous stories in the world. This is why I am keeping this review short. I believe everyone who enjoys Shakespeare and plays in general will sincerely enjoy this manga classic.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
An amazing adaptation of a classic tale. Shakespeare's tragedy comes to life with brilliantly imagined art.
I find it very hard to read Shakespear's plays. Not only is the language hard, I think that the plays should be seen, performed to fully understand, not just read. You just don't get the full experience that way. Because of that, I enjoyed very much reading the manga version of Romeo and Juliet. the story comes alive, it's all more vivid and just jumps from pages.
I have never really been a fan of classics. However, I really enjoyed this manga classic.
It gives a fresh take on an old classic and the artwork is just stunning!!
Unfortunately, I could not review this book because the file did not download correctly and I cannot access it. It could be my computer - it's an old compaq but it pulls through in a pinch. The book looks really cool though!
The classic masterpiece of Shakespeare comes to life as a manga. The art is gorgeous, the dialogue feels very much like a play rather than what you'd usually read in manga and the ending was as tragic as I remember it.
Loved this version! The artwork it captivating, and really brings the story to life. I think it's such a cool idea to bring well known classics to life using manga style artwork, and these are beautiful and something that would add beauty and brilliance to anyone's library!
I've never enjoyed Shakespeare, but I wanted to give this timeless tale another try through a Manga Classics rendition, as I thought it would make it more interesting. Unfortunately, I still didn't enjoy the story itself, but it would be unfair to judge the manga based on a story written so long ago.

As for the manga itself, though, having read several of the Manga Classics, I'm sad to say this was my least favorite in terms of composure and, most importantly, artwork. It was very simplistic and lacking in details in many panels, and just wasn't as enjoyable to look at as most of the others in the MC line have been.
These are an enjoyable series. I love the adaptation of the classic Romeo and Juliet tale. I think if Shakespeare was around today he would appreciate this faithful adaptation of his classic tale of two lovers in fair Verona. Really do recommend this series.
Like all of the UDON Manga classics I’ve read, I really enjoyed the art of this book, but I wish they’d have simplified the language a bit. Reading Shakespeare as a manga makes the play somehow more approachable - language-wise, I mean - but it’s still Shakespeare...
I loved this book and think that it would be a good addition to any ELA library! This version makes the story so easy to understand that it would be sure to assist any struggling students.  It is perfect for visual learners!
We all enjoy one way or another the story of Romeo and Juliet, whether version you read, original version, modern version, futuristic version, or in this case manga version.
We know it by heart and every time it is remade we look for new things or changes that each writer adds or removes according to their vision.
To say that I enjoyed this manga is to be short, starting with the first thing that attracts me was the beautiful illustrations, I loved it from beginning to end, an excellent version full of successes.
One of the most famous works of Shakespeare, as well as one of the most famous love story.
While I do like Much Ado About Nothing and Macbeth better, this is a great classic that was transformed and adapted very beautifully by UDON Entertainment!
With great lines, and beautiful art I loved revising this classic again!
Would totally give it together with the book of the play as a gift for a friend or someone that wishes to get to know this tragic love story!

I would like to thank NetGalley and Udon Ent. to let me get back to this era and see it all happen again in the form of a beautiful art! 5 out of 5 stars!
I was very interested in these set of books from Udon Entertainment because I find that younger generations are able to connect with classic literature easily through visuals and more modern interpretations. I think that 'Romeo and Juliet' does a pretty good job with this. They pace the story well, considering it has to be condensed for an art style book; however, I do wish they had update the language at least a little bit. Part of the purpose of these books is to be more accessible, yet using the traditional Shakespearean language makes it still out of reach. I understand the desire to use the original text, as it is how the original is portrayed and it makes it unique. However, even most modern re-writes and releases at least contain an on-page translation for some of the more out-dated terms. I do love the art, and I would still highly recommend this to readers who are struggling to understand the original written copy because the visuals do add some context, but it may still be out of reach to those who don't know how to interpret the original language.

I received a free ARC of this title through NetGalley. All of my thoughts and opinions are my own.
I love the art style and the story! The creators do a wonderful job, as always, turning the story into a manga. I've always enjoyed the story, but now I like it even more.

Stacey King did a great job, just as she does with all of her classics to manga. I highly recommend this to anyone that enjoys manga and/or Romeo and Juliet. 5 out of 5 stars most definitely!
I have been loving these manga classics, but this one is not my favorite!

English is not my first language, so I always struggle with reading classics, and I think that's why I didn't enjoy this one as I hoped to. And they used the Shakespeare's original text  which I honestly don't fully understand.
I kept looking up words and many phrases confused me and I kept guessing the meaning. I know the fault is on me because I couldn't fully immerse myself in the manga with this writing and I hoped it was simplified.

But if you love Romeo & Juliet the classic, I am sure you would really enjoy the manga. :)

To end this on a high note, the artwork was amazing as I expected it to be. This manga brings the classic Romeo and Juliet to life!

I am so excited that there is always new manga from this classics series to add to my reading list from time to time.
*~.Book Analysis.~*
Just remembering that those were my impressions and opinion as a reader :)

Rating: 4 stars
Reading period: Nov. 25th, 2018
Format: ebook
Source: NetGalley – I have received this book in exchange for an honest review.
Release date: May 15th, 2018

PROS
The art in this book! It is Classic manga for you, full of details, beautiful characters, awesome designs… This was a magical reading! Of course, my heart always aches to read Romeo and Juliet, but if one must read such a tragic and beautiful story, this is the best way to do so!

CONS
I expected to see an adaptation with more modern language, as it was a manga – the dialogues kept mostly in old English for sure would be a barrier for younger audiences, aka teenagers. If the reader isn’t already into Classics, making a manga adaptation of the book won’t be of any help to lead more people into the genre.

COVER ANALYSIS
All the art involved in this work is gorgeous. The cover is no different and it makes me wish for a full colored edition of the story!

RECOMMENDED FOR
Manga, Comics and Classic lovers!
I received a copy from Netgalley for my honest review.

I picked this up since it was a story that's required in all high school English classes. It was an enjoyable read but be warned... all the text was from the original story! So it was very very wordy and around 400 pages long. It's a good read since they did every character justice and played up the amusing side characters along with decent fight scenes. I laughed when they did DID YOU BITE YOUR THUMB AT ME SIR scene. Most of the iconic scenes in the play are done well in the manga adaptation. However, I wish they would've emphasized more on A PLAGUE UPON BOTH OF YOUR HOUSES scene when Mercutio is slain and dying.

The art was standard for made for English manga - it wasn't bad but not really amazing. I wish they could've used more screentone effects and maybe drawn Juliet more cutely? The male characters were the stronger part of the artwork along with the accurate backgrounds that portray the time period correctly. There were also some highlighted 1 page and 2 page spreads that accurately portrayed some of the metaphors which matched the script.

Would I recommend picking this up? No, not unless you're a hardcore Shakespeare fan or want to read a manga illustrated version of Romeo & Juliet to help you get through class. It's a really long read and doesn't seem to go by as quickly for a casual read.
I loved this... not as much as the Jane Eyre Manga, but that's because I don't like Romeo and Juliet as much as Jane Eyre.

But it was still amazing... the adaptation, the illustrations and everything!
I was approved to read an advanced e-copy of Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare and Stacy King from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Here are my thoughts on the book and why I think you should pick it up:
This manga is based off of one of the most well known plays written by William Shakespeare called Romeo and Juliet. I love this version because they kept the original text but added gorgeous artwork to this classic. This manga kept me engaged until the very last page. I love how they have taken classics and made such a great manga series out of them. If you have a hard time reading through classics or you just want to reread with stunning artwork, these mangas do not disappoint!