Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

This was such an amazing reading experience.
The story was so amazing and I loved the art.
If you like classic stories, I really recommend to try this manga.
It was so amazing to see this book in manga form.
Manga Classics have so many talented people working to recreate masterpieces, making themselves masterpieces in their own right. I loved this adaptation of another famous classical work, Romeo and Juliet. It is very true to the classic and the artwork is another wonderful way to experience the story. I know I am repeating myself a lot with this vast collection of Manga classics, however, the books truly are such a great way to read and understand the classics in a new way.
Other than being a little indifferent to how the characters' appearances were, compared to the original counterparts, I loved the story. I loved the art; was a beautifully tragic way to showcase this story, and I can't wait to see what comes next from this series.
I did not enjoy this at all. I was never a fan of Romeo and Juliet but I just had to read this version and see if I would enjoy it more. I didn't.  The artwork is beautiful but unfortunately that wasn't enough to convince me to finish reading it.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
I wish all my HS books were illustrated.
Personally, I found the manga format hard to read, right to left, top to bottom. It confused me. Shakespeare is hard enough to read without having to try and remember reading direction. On the other hand, the graphic novel/manga format is a perfect way to read a play. I loved the illustrations,  though I can't speak to accuracy of costumes and characters and background.
In summary, this is a like watching a play in a book. Great idea. I would prefer it in graphic novel format instead of manga format.
My Rating : 4🌟

Manga style graphic novels has recently really captured my interest and I was really excited to find the classic in this version! I absolutely love the artwork and especially the style of reading. It might be slightly confusing if it's your first time reading a manga, but it's absolutely amazing. I definitely recommend reading this classic in this style and I definitely enjoyed this a lot !!
Another well put together volume in the Manga Classics series. As with other entries in this series, this is a good alternative to reading the play for those audiences who find the language to be a barrier. The art overall is good and supports the narrative without distracting from it, and the way dialogue is broken down by panels serves to emphasize specific lines nicely. One complaint I have is how the more cartoonish designs for some characters made for some tonal issues when compared to the ikemen and bishoujo style of others.
Two of my favourite things: manga and classics. What can I ask more? I love reading manga, so of course I had to read this one. Though I am not a big fan of Romeo and Juliette, I enjoyed seeing a manga version. I think the characters are better like this than in movies or prints. It is a better solution for children to read classics even if they don't like to read the originals.
I can't wait to see more classics as manga. I would love to read Pride and prejudice.
Classic Romeo and Juliet! I think that’s this is a fantastic idea to get young readers interested in the classics !! The artwork was gorgeous and I appreciate the time and effort that was put into this manga
A good visual to the play. Doesn't given modern English translations or scene descriptions (obviously). For those who like Manga or want to have that visual before reading the play in school. Do get introduced to the characters, and at the end you get a visual of their swords and character design which is nice to see.
I think that this is a good adaptation of Romeo and Juliet. The artwork is fun and bring the characters' personalities to life. There were a few things which I felt could have been depicted better, most those lines which left me confused about what was being said. And while I would have said that this would be a great option for high schoolers needing to read the play, there were a couple images which I think wouldn't go over well in a room full of teenagers.

Still, I believe that there are those who would really love this adaptation. I could see theatre majors collecting them.

I have provided an honest review after having received an ecopy of the book from the publisher.
I really enjoyed this book. I've recently started reading manga, so was pleasantly surprised to find this book on NetGalley. It was a bit difficult to read electronically, but I think the hard copy of this book would be amazing. I'm an adult, but I think for children this would be a great way to be introduced to Shakespeare. The drawings are great as well.
One of Shakespeare's most popular and accessible plays, Romeo and Juliet tells the story of two star-crossed lovers and the unhappy fate that befell them as a result of a long and bitter feud between their families. This is a brilliant adaptation of William Shakespeare's work of genius. The artwork is gorgeous and fits seamlessly in with Shakespeare's original text to form a breathtaking view of Romeo and Juliet. Thank you to NetGalley and Udon Publishing for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
This Manga images are super gorgeous, and really well done. The characters looked like I imagined them while portrayed in a Manga. I usually have a hard time reading Classics, due to the fact that they are really hard to read, but the Manga Classics are amazing, and made it a breeze for me to get through.
I do enjoy Romeo and Juliet and it was a lot easier for me to get through, unlike other classics.
Thank you for letting me read this amazing Manga. 4/5 stars, not that there is anything wrong with it, it is just the classic itself, everything else was amazing!
CW: murder, death

I was here more for the art that the story tbh. I never liked Romeo and Juliet, if I'm being completely honest. I think the only person I cared for was Romeo's cousin. Otherwise, I couldn't've cared less.
I love, love, love these manga classics and this was no exception. Very cute way of presenting the story and well done! I love being able to refresh on long classic with just a quick, fun read like this. I'm always hoping for more!
This adaptation of "Romeo and Juliet," with most if not all of the original dialogue, has all the drama, wit, and tragedy of the original play. The art style fits well with plot, and allows for both greater emotion and a greater understanding of the story than just a read-through of the script would provide. Overall, though "Romeo and Juliet" has never been my favorite Shakespeare work, I fully enjoyed the manga adaptation, and would recommend it to anyone curious about the story.
What can I say? We all know Romeo and Juliet's love story, but this new take it's absoluty wonderful, mostly because the art style is really beautiful. I think this manga format is a great idea to approach the classics to a new and young audience.
Today’s review will take into consideration the artwork, design, story line (and it’s accuracy), and how well the expressions played into the story.

I would like to say that this manga was extremely well written, thanks to Shakespeare. Just as a heads up, I read Romeo and Juliet in grade 9 of high school and therefor know that this manga was basically accurate to all extents.

I would first like to bring up the fact that the artwork done for this manga was extremely well done. I enjoyed the artwork immensely and it gave the reader a much more enjoyable read compared to the traditional words on a page of Romeo and Juliet and nothing else to help you understand the play.

The expressions that the characters gave during events that happened were well drawn out, and you could clearly tell which character was which as they basically all stayed the same the entire time. I personally love the way that these characters were perceived to look like, especially with me being an anime lover myself.

I really took into consideration the way that the backgrounds and items around the characters added to the stories objective, and I personally loved the way they interacted together.

From looking at the text and artwork separately you can tell immediately that the artist must have understood and known Shakespeare’s work very well in order to create such a work that interacted with Shakespeare’s words in such a beautiful way.

Since I am taking into consideration both the artwork and the text, I unfortunately have to bring the rating down from a 5 to a 4. Why is that you ask? Well, unfortunately for me the way the old English was written back then, just doesn’t jive with me. It feels too out of place for this piece of artwork, I feel that the manga artist should have taken the modern English version of Shakespeare and added that to this manga. Why do I think that? Well, if it was a modern version of Romeo and Juliet, many teenagers and some well versed children would be able to read and enjoy the story as well. I feel as though with the play being in old English that is more pointed towards adults with it’s hard to understand language. Of course many young adults will also be able to read it, but a manga should be more enjoyable with easy to understand words.

But heck, that’s my personal opinion.

But overall, this manga was amazing and I will forever remember it.
Another good entry into the Manga Classics line. I enjoyed this more than Macbeth, but then I am something of a hopeless romantic so all the scenes with Romeo and Juliet were quite charming to watch.

I love the art style. It is very in line and current with the conventions of shoujo (girls) manga from the 2010s. The characters are prettily detailed and cute. In particular, Romeo, Juliet, Mercutio, and Paris are so attractively drawn.

I love how the style did well in capturing Mercutio’s distinctive whimsy. The emotions during the famously tragic scenes are well conveyed. Buildings and scenery are also highly detailed and cleanly drawn.

There are many comically drawn scenes that illustrate and express some of the humorous banter that might be hard to grasp from the original prose.

Speaking of prose, as was the case with Manga Classics adaptation of Macbeth, the purity of the lines is fully intact and not re-written with modern standards in mind. I was surprised by how text-heavy some panels are and real effort is made to keep the story as intact as possible. As a result, I find myself reading more slowly to try to fully understand the passages. I like that no major changes were made as the original play as very special and its writing style exquisitely quotable. As usual for Manga Classics, this adaptation is nicely thick at around 400 pages, so I’d say it’s a great dollar value for the time spent.

My two favorite Manga Classics are still The Count of Monte Cristo and especially Les Miserables, but this is easily still among the best in terms of quality and appeal and has perhaps the most high quality art I’ve seen so far from Manga Classics.