Cover Image: Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet

Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet

Romeo and Juliet has always been my favourite play by William Shakespeare. Therefore, rereading the story through manga adaptation makes it so much more enjoyable to read. This is because I got to have a better insight into how the story truly went. I loved reading manga and having such beautiful sketches being drawn to portray the entire story makes it so interesting. Even tho the script didn't change, it was still understandable for readers to comprehend. Overall, it was a light and fun read for me. I really recommend for everyone to try out this book if they want to read the story with better graphics instead of long paragraphs.
I love manga classics, but unfortunately this time I had lots of difficulties reading it since the dialogues are written in Early Modern English. On the other hand, the illustrations are really beautiful and can help a bit the reader to comprehend what is going on.
I loved the idea behind this manga, but I hope that in the future the publisher will try to make the dialogues more understandable.
I have always loved the story about Romeo & Juliet and have during the years seen many adaptions as movies, tv-series, and other works that are inspired by Romeo & Juliet as a theme. Therefore I have always wanted to read the original material, but haven't because Shakespeare is writing an old and hard to read English that makes it a torturous read, and who would like to torture themself? Not me!

I read a lot of comics, so when I saw Romeo & Juliet as a manga that stayed true to the original story, I had to try it.

The drawings in the manga helped bringing this story alive to me.

This manga is a direct adaption and stays very true to the original story. It has the old language, and though I had lines I didn't understand one-to-one, the visual story and gestures of the characters on the page made me understand a whole lot more than if I had read the text only. I can truthfully say that I enjoyed this read!

It was an amazing detailed read. It was like seeing a theatre play!
The costumes were unique to each character and you could see their personality shine through.

It took some time to get used to the language, but when Romeo & Juliets story began unfolding on the pages, I was captured and reached the end much too soon.

I think supporting the classics with pictures while staying true to the original is a clever idea. I already got my eye on some of the other books in this series.
I always forget how dramatic Romeo is, but seeing it in manga form was definitely a treat. The manga is faithful to the original work, but is able to express certain concepts that can't be portrayed on stage. I appreciate the information given at the end by the team about how they did their research and styles to bring this drama to life. The only thing that stuck out as strange to me was how much Juliet stuck out her tongue, in attempts to remind the reader how young she is? The art was beautifully illustrated, and at times brought on the humor well-known in manga.
The story is known… The drawings are ok… it’s nothing special to be honest. I don’t know what i expected.
I thought that knowing the storyline would ruin the manga for me, but it didn't. This is the second classic-to-manga adaptation that I read and I loved this. I was expecting to be bored, but I somehow read through this like it was the first time ingesting the story.
I was very intrigued by classics turned into manga, and I think it's such a good way to show classics to people who do not want to pick up one. ***YOU DO NOT HAVE TO PICK UP CLASSICS.***

Romeo & Juliet is a tale most people know, and it is one that I enjoy, but can also see how it is problematic.  The story follows the feuds of the families, and the forbidden love.  I wanted to connect and like this version more than I did sadly.  I did not vibe with the illustration, and I think it was a bit longer than it needed to be.

Thank you to NetGalley & the publisher for the arc.
Thanks for Netgalley and Udon Entertainment for providing me a digital copy.

There is no need for an introduction on this. We are all aware of the famous play Romeo and Juliet. A romance tragedy of two lovers who wanted nothing more than to be together despite of the hatred their families have against each other.

I am very much happy with the manga adaptation of the play because it was entertaining instead of just reading it as it is. You can focus really focus on how the story goes. The plot is still the same but really amazed me is stay still used the same lines. I expected a more modern script for each characters because the way the plays script was written was so deep.

Nevertheless I enjoyed it and I am planning to read more classics in manga version.
Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet

Full feature for this title will be posted at: @cattleboobooks on Instagram!
Thank you NetGalley for a chance to read this! It was very true to the classic and I loved reading it in manga form it gave a good visual to the story! I loved it!
I was actually able to read this at quite a quick pace. I enjoyed the prose and setting of it. I haven't read the original Romeo and Juliet but of course I knew the story. I find the people absurd but I understand it's not set in this world. I also understand that a lot have been left out so it's not a thousand pages long. The imagery it inspires in your eyes is surreal. It's definitely an enjoyable read but I truly can't understand the reasons or lack of it on Romeo's part. Juliette is at a child so I can understand. Romeo is supposed to be 17. One moment he's in love with someone else then sees Juliette and is declaring his love to her within 5 minutes? Well, all the absurdity aside, as I mentioned before I can totally get the appeal of the story. Love the artworks and illustrations.
I really enjoy Manga Classics' adaptations. The lovely illustrations and characters created a lovely scene and added a lot of depth to the often overly wordy classics. This edition reminds me of why I dislike Shakespeare; he drags everything out with scenes that I could summarise in a few sentences. However, the drawing makes the characters' deaths even more heartbreaking.
Although this book was quite hard to read - because, after all, it's still an original Shakespeare's text - I've read it really quickly. This adaptation makes the old story of Romeo and Juliet so much more accessible and entertaining. I think that manga format really works well for dramas.
 I was surprised at how attached I got to the characters and how invested in the story I was even though I knew some main events in it and how it ends. The story wasn't rushed and it was sprinkled with a bit more humor than I expected.
 I honestly wasn't planning on reading Shakespeare's works anytime soon so I'm glad that I found this amazing adaptations to familiarize myself with this classic stories!
I would give Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare a 5 star review because, its a lovely adaption of the classic Romeo and Juliet but with amazing art while staying true to the original.
I received this book from NetGalley and am giving it an honest review. Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for the opportunity.

This was absolutely beautiful and well done. I love that they kept with the original words of the story as well gave some flairs of humor to it. The story kept to being well paced and not rushed in the slightest.
The graphic novel format on my tiny phone screen just wasn’t working for me. I wasn’t able to download to my kindle, which would’ve made it easier to read. So I wasn’t able to finish this.
I LIVED THIS MANGA RETELLING THE MOST OF ALL AND THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS! I adore manga and the classics so mixing them together is a brilliant plan!
The illustrations are so beautiful. This follows the original exactly. This is my favorite classic novel and this brings it to life beautifully!
Shakespeare's greatest love cum tragedy story is beautifully envisioned and presented as a Manga Classics. By now it is obvious that I am in love with Manga Classics and getting to read Romeo + Juliet was in my bucket list.

The story is adapted from Shakespeare's work, the complete play and the language of the play - the dialogues - are in Old English. This makes reading the manga slightly difficult as I am not comfortable with Old English and English is my third language. So I followed the illustrations and read in between to understand the story. Thankfully I head read a middle grade version of the book and I didn't find following the flow of the story difficult.

Suggestion would be if the language could be in simple English so readers like me wouldn't find it tedious to read. I hope Manga classics can adpat more classical books with easier language as this would be simple to pick for readers who are getting into reading classics or getting into reading altogether.

Thank you Netgalley and Udon Entertainment for the arc in exchange for an honest review.
O mangá é lindo, a história clássica de Romeu e Julieta nesse formato é maravilhoso. O final trágico me deixou ainda mais emocionada.