Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

Loved this version! The artwork it captivating, and really brings the story to life. I think it's such a cool idea to bring well known classics to life using manga style artwork, and these are beautiful and something that would add beauty and brilliance to anyone's library!
I've never enjoyed Shakespeare, but I wanted to give this timeless tale another try through a Manga Classics rendition, as I thought it would make it more interesting. Unfortunately, I still didn't enjoy the story itself, but it would be unfair to judge the manga based on a story written so long ago.

As for the manga itself, though, having read several of the Manga Classics, I'm sad to say this was my least favorite in terms of composure and, most importantly, artwork. It was very simplistic and lacking in details in many panels, and just wasn't as enjoyable to look at as most of the others in the MC line have been.
These are an enjoyable series. I love the adaptation of the classic Romeo and Juliet tale. I think if Shakespeare was around today he would appreciate this faithful adaptation of his classic tale of two lovers in fair Verona. Really do recommend this series.
Like all of the UDON Manga classics I’ve read, I really enjoyed the art of this book, but I wish they’d have simplified the language a bit. Reading Shakespeare as a manga makes the play somehow more approachable - language-wise, I mean - but it’s still Shakespeare...
I loved this book and think that it would be a good addition to any ELA library! This version makes the story so easy to understand that it would be sure to assist any struggling students.  It is perfect for visual learners!
We all enjoy one way or another the story of Romeo and Juliet, whether version you read, original version, modern version, futuristic version, or in this case manga version.
We know it by heart and every time it is remade we look for new things or changes that each writer adds or removes according to their vision.
To say that I enjoyed this manga is to be short, starting with the first thing that attracts me was the beautiful illustrations, I loved it from beginning to end, an excellent version full of successes.
One of the most famous works of Shakespeare, as well as one of the most famous love story.
While I do like Much Ado About Nothing and Macbeth better, this is a great classic that was transformed and adapted very beautifully by UDON Entertainment!
With great lines, and beautiful art I loved revising this classic again!
Would totally give it together with the book of the play as a gift for a friend or someone that wishes to get to know this tragic love story!

I would like to thank NetGalley and Udon Ent. to let me get back to this era and see it all happen again in the form of a beautiful art! 5 out of 5 stars!
I was very interested in these set of books from Udon Entertainment because I find that younger generations are able to connect with classic literature easily through visuals and more modern interpretations. I think that 'Romeo and Juliet' does a pretty good job with this. They pace the story well, considering it has to be condensed for an art style book; however, I do wish they had update the language at least a little bit. Part of the purpose of these books is to be more accessible, yet using the traditional Shakespearean language makes it still out of reach. I understand the desire to use the original text, as it is how the original is portrayed and it makes it unique. However, even most modern re-writes and releases at least contain an on-page translation for some of the more out-dated terms. I do love the art, and I would still highly recommend this to readers who are struggling to understand the original written copy because the visuals do add some context, but it may still be out of reach to those who don't know how to interpret the original language.

I received a free ARC of this title through NetGalley. All of my thoughts and opinions are my own.
I love the art style and the story! The creators do a wonderful job, as always, turning the story into a manga. I've always enjoyed the story, but now I like it even more.

Stacey King did a great job, just as she does with all of her classics to manga. I highly recommend this to anyone that enjoys manga and/or Romeo and Juliet. 5 out of 5 stars most definitely!
I have been loving these manga classics, but this one is not my favorite!

English is not my first language, so I always struggle with reading classics, and I think that's why I didn't enjoy this one as I hoped to. And they used the Shakespeare's original text  which I honestly don't fully understand.
I kept looking up words and many phrases confused me and I kept guessing the meaning. I know the fault is on me because I couldn't fully immerse myself in the manga with this writing and I hoped it was simplified.

But if you love Romeo & Juliet the classic, I am sure you would really enjoy the manga. :)

To end this on a high note, the artwork was amazing as I expected it to be. This manga brings the classic Romeo and Juliet to life!

I am so excited that there is always new manga from this classics series to add to my reading list from time to time.
*~.Book Analysis.~*
Just remembering that those were my impressions and opinion as a reader :)

Rating: 4 stars
Reading period: Nov. 25th, 2018
Format: ebook
Source: NetGalley – I have received this book in exchange for an honest review.
Release date: May 15th, 2018

PROS
The art in this book! It is Classic manga for you, full of details, beautiful characters, awesome designs… This was a magical reading! Of course, my heart always aches to read Romeo and Juliet, but if one must read such a tragic and beautiful story, this is the best way to do so!

CONS
I expected to see an adaptation with more modern language, as it was a manga – the dialogues kept mostly in old English for sure would be a barrier for younger audiences, aka teenagers. If the reader isn’t already into Classics, making a manga adaptation of the book won’t be of any help to lead more people into the genre.

COVER ANALYSIS
All the art involved in this work is gorgeous. The cover is no different and it makes me wish for a full colored edition of the story!

RECOMMENDED FOR
Manga, Comics and Classic lovers!
I received a copy from Netgalley for my honest review.

I picked this up since it was a story that's required in all high school English classes. It was an enjoyable read but be warned... all the text was from the original story! So it was very very wordy and around 400 pages long. It's a good read since they did every character justice and played up the amusing side characters along with decent fight scenes. I laughed when they did DID YOU BITE YOUR THUMB AT ME SIR scene. Most of the iconic scenes in the play are done well in the manga adaptation. However, I wish they would've emphasized more on A PLAGUE UPON BOTH OF YOUR HOUSES scene when Mercutio is slain and dying.

The art was standard for made for English manga - it wasn't bad but not really amazing. I wish they could've used more screentone effects and maybe drawn Juliet more cutely? The male characters were the stronger part of the artwork along with the accurate backgrounds that portray the time period correctly. There were also some highlighted 1 page and 2 page spreads that accurately portrayed some of the metaphors which matched the script.

Would I recommend picking this up? No, not unless you're a hardcore Shakespeare fan or want to read a manga illustrated version of Romeo & Juliet to help you get through class. It's a really long read and doesn't seem to go by as quickly for a casual read.
I loved this... not as much as the Jane Eyre Manga, but that's because I don't like Romeo and Juliet as much as Jane Eyre.

But it was still amazing... the adaptation, the illustrations and everything!
I was approved to read an advanced e-copy of Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare and Stacy King from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. Here are my thoughts on the book and why I think you should pick it up:
This manga is based off of one of the most well known plays written by William Shakespeare called Romeo and Juliet. I love this version because they kept the original text but added gorgeous artwork to this classic. This manga kept me engaged until the very last page. I love how they have taken classics and made such a great manga series out of them. If you have a hard time reading through classics or you just want to reread with stunning artwork, these mangas do not disappoint!
Romeo and Juliet is the sixth classic manga I read: I already have "The Count of Montecristo", "Les Miserables", "The Scarlett Letter", "Pride and Predjudice" and "Jane Eyre" limited edition and I'm totally in love with this editorial project because I share the belief that literature and manga are two worlds that, if fused, can give the best of themselves.
I found Romeo and Juliet a beautiful manga with an excellent graphic characterization of characters and backgrounds: the work done by the authors is always precise and attentive.
For those who have not read the original story, the manga is a great starting point (especially for children / teenagers), if you've already read the tragedy of Shakespeare, however, the rereading will be fun and fun thanks to the drawings that will give new life to words of Shakespeare.
You must like manga style, obiviosuly.

Thanks to NetGalley and Udon Publishing for giving me a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
I loved that Romeo & Juliet were turned into manga form! This was my favorite book by Shakespeare so it's such a fun idea to get people to read his work if they're not into the classics
Romeo and Juliet- Manga Classics – by William Shakespeare, by Stacy King, Crystal S. Chan (Adaptation), Julien Choy (Art), Akanovas (Lettering), Jeannie Lee (Lettering)

There is no need to go into the synopsis or plot of one of William Shakespeare’s most famous plays. We all know the basics of this story by now. Many have read the play in school or have seen a stage or movie adaptation at one point. So, I think it is safe to skip the analysis.

For me, Manga is something I flat out ignored for years because I presumed without ever giving it a fair chance that it would not be something I’d enjoy. Then I discovered it was often geared towards teens or young adults, which was yet another strike against it. But, by sheer accident, I discovered Manga covered a lot of areas, and was much more complex than I’d given it credit for.

Having gotten to an age where I’ve dipped my toes in many different genres, and sub-genres, I find that the ‘I’ve outgrown this’ or ‘aged out of’ attitude closes off many unexplored avenues and because I like to think I’m open minded, I’ve begun to reconsider areas I’ve previously closed off. As a result, I’m having a lot of fun learning about Manga, Graphic Novels, and Comics.

Much to my surprise, I’ve found a nice selection of classic stories, in Manga/Graphic Novel format. After recently reading a memoir by Olivia Hussey, the actress who portrayed Juliet in the famous Zeffirelli 1968 film, this play was on my mind quite a lot. So, when I noticed this Manga version on Netgalley, it grabbed my attention immediately.

For anyone who may be thinking the dialogue is 'updated' with more modern dialect, you’d be wrong. This is the same script you’d find in the original play- except there are no stage directions. Instead, those are replaced by images, which works out much better than I’d have imagined. The artwork is spectacular, as is the adaptation. Obviously, a great deal of thought went into how to present this classic in Manga form, and I’d say it came off beautifully. Granted, I’m still a novice at this, but I was pleased with the presentation.

I did have a few technical issues, since this one is not in Kindle/ MOBI format. I had to use Adobe Edition, which is a pain, and the scrolling was terrible, especially since, of course it’s back to front. Several times my screen jumped to the end of the book and caused a great deal of frustration.

Shakespeare is still difficult to read and adjusting to this format made it an even bigger challenge. It took me a good long while to get through it. (If anyone has a suggestion on how to make this less daunting- please feel free to offer me some suggestions.)

However, despite the heaviness of the drama, and the extra effort it required to read the book, I was impressed, and enjoyed reading this classic with the well-drawn illustrations and art work which certainly enriched and enhanced my experience.

Despite the disdain of melodrama- I liked all the angst between Romeo and Juliet- but not that sad ending! It still makes a great cautionary tale- even after all these years. 4 stars
The Manga Classics books are all fun because tell classic stories in graphic novel form, which definitely makes them more interesting and easier to read. I wish that these books had existed when I was in high school and college. They would have been such a great supplemental material. Grab a copy of this book for any youngster who will be encountering Shakespeare for the first time this fall. This version of Romeo and Juliet will rely help bring the story alive!
I wish I could say that I loved this book, for a whole lot of reasons, including:

1. I'm a huge fan of classics,
2. I've been meaning to read Romeo and Juliet for a really long time now, and
3. I've been reading quite a lot of mangas this year, and this one seemed really beautifully drawn,

but sadly, I didn't.

It's not that I find this to be a bad book, but it simply didn't appeal to me on the whole. I didn't enjoy the illustrations as much as I thought I would – I thought that the characters all had a somewhat robotic air, and I found the book altogether to be a very trying read.

I may give a different classic a chance, but this one did not work for me.
“Two households, both alike in dignity
In fair Verona, where we lay our scene,
From ancient grudge break to new mutiny,
Where civil blood makes civil hands unclean.
From forth the fatal loins of these two foes
A pair of star-crossed lovers take their life;
Whose misadventured piteous overthrows
Doth with their death bury their parents' strife.
The fearful passage of their death-marked love
And the continuance of their parents' rage,
Which, but their children's end, naught could remove,
Is now the two hours' traffic of our stage;
The which if you with patient ears attend,
What here shall miss, our toil shall strive to mend.”

THIS. WAS. PERFECT.

I have no words.

I loved Romeo and Juliet’s story since my childhood. I loved the Italian musicals and Zeffirelli’s production. I loved this story from the beginning. I loved this manga.

This book is perfection in every way: the plot, the lines, the characters, the settings. All is done right. Every detailed scene is magnifique. Fabulous.

The drawings are astonishing and iper-accurate. The characters are well described and their actions are acted as in the show.
The places are so good done: the detailed landscape and settings show us what Verona could’ve been during R&J time. The dresses and swords are beautiful.

What I find so good, however, are the metaphors. Wow, they are perfect. Shakespeare worked with words and images, and the artist of this manga creates a universe of metaphors and symbolism so truth to the original story. This imagining flights are the most beautiful thing I’ve ever seen in a book. And I can say that studying a lot of art history’s stuff.

Talking about the characters: can we appreciate Mercutio? He is my favorite character in the play and, oh my goodness, he is better in the manga. How can it be possible? I don know, but I love how he turned out. His personality is eruption and flowers and vicious smiles and I can see all these in the character’s style and figure.

“I talk of dreams,
which are the children of an idle brain,
Be got of nothing but vain fantasy,
Which is as thin of substance as the air
 and more inconstant than the wind, who wooes
even now the frozen bosom of the North
and, being anger’d, puffs away from thence,
turning his face to the dew-dropping South.”

I must do my compliment to the artist of this beautiful work.

Thanks to Udon because this is one of the best manga I’ve ever experienced.

Now I’m weeping on this arc because of this sad story and the perfection. Ops.

And you, If you are reading this review, go and buy this book. Now. You will love this story and this drawings as much as I do. Go, now.

“Alack, there lies more peril in thine eyes than twenty of their swords.
Look thou but sweet, and I am proof against their enmity.”