Manga Classics: Romeo and Juliet

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date: Not set

This new version uses Shakespeare’s original language in a manga format, making it more accessible for young people and beginners to Shakespeare. The characters are introduced to make them clear, and the illustrations add feeling to the text.
I really enjoy the manga classics. The graphics are great. I like that the old English is used.
Thank you Netgalley for allowing me to read.
the art style for this manga adaptation of romeo and juliet was absolutely breathtaking, but sadly it wasn’t enough for me to love this. that’s pretty much my fault however, because i don’t enjoy the original story of romeo and juliet, and the author’s used the original text for this manga. i will pick up the other manga classics, but this wasn’t for me.
This was the second story from Manga Classics that I have read so far! I really enjoy this style and I want to explore it more!
The artwork is breathtaking and it was a fun experience to read a classic that has been given life through visualization of all characters and settings with vivid imagery.
This is wonderful! I love Shakespeare and manga. The art is beautiful and this is a great way for people to read Shakespeare without being overwhelmed.
I really liked the art involved and how much of the storyline this manga fit in. This adaption didn't just show a 'love story', as usual, it also showed a catastrophic feud between two families that was tearing a city apart, affecting even innocent bystanders and all the drama involved with that. I really do feel like this adaption added to my understanding and view of the original story of Romeo and Juliet. I really enjoyed the "I bite my thumb at you" scene near the beginning, it was funnier seeing it in manga form than reading it, and I found that I enjoyed the story more as a whole. It also featured some of my favorite lines (for instance, "I have lost myself, I am not here: this is not Romeo, he's some other where.")
However, the story of Romeo and Juliet still isn't one I particularly like, it's a just a teen romance gone very, very wrong (three people and the main couple died after a few days, etc.). It really showed how dramatic Romeo really is (to a hilarious degree as well, though I'm sure that was probably the intention of the artist as well as Shakespeare himself, haha). The adaption itself was great quality and true to original, but I'm still not a big fan of Romeo and Juliet, but this is probably my favorite version thus far. It made me laugh at some points and the ending scene was very beautiful.

My thanks to NetGalley, the publisher Udon Entertainment, and the author for giving me the opportunity to read a digital copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Manga Classics are always exceptional, but their adaptation of Romeo and Juliet goes above and beyond. For one, this volume keeps the translated text of the play so in theory someone struggling to understand Shakespeare's work could read this as a way to help them understand what is happening. But the true highlight of this book is the artwork. The manga artist  does a stunning job bringing the story to life. From character designs to the setting to the spreads depicting Shakespeare's lush use of language--the entire volume bursts with a beauty only found through manga style artwork. I appreciate how the artist designed the characters because Romeo and Juliet are so young and it's a reminder how naive they truly were. I would definitely recommend this to someone who finds Shakespeare's plays difficult or who likes manga style graphic novels. I hope Manga Classics adapts other Shakespeare plays in the future.
I love the collection of Manga Classics! I was so excited about the Romeo and Juliet manga because it is one of my favourite Shakespeare plays.

I have fond memories of this play because my class performed it in grade 5. It was the first Shakespeare play I ever read. I can still remember parts of it off by heart.

This was a great adaptation of the play. My favourite part was Juliet’s nurse. She was such a funny and dramatic character. She would ramble on about things without getting to the point. Her character in this story was a large woman who screamed a lot. She was overly dramatic, which added a lot of humour to this tragic story.

This is a great adaptation of Romeo and Juliet!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
Stacy King is a marvelous writer. I love her manga adaptations of classics (even though I’ve only read two so far). I enjoy her adaptation even more due to the fact that she puts so much research into her work – you can clearly see that in the final pages of the manga where she explains how she visited the locations mentioned in the story and puts her sketches.

I enjoyed the art very much and the characterisation through it. For example, I loved that every male character had a specific sword which was weirdly very fitting for his character.

There is no point in putting a summary of the story of Romeo and Juliet since this play by Shakespeare is one of the most famous stories in the world. This is why I am keeping this review short. I believe everyone who enjoys Shakespeare and plays in general will sincerely enjoy this manga classic.

I received this book in exchange for an honest review.
An amazing adaptation of a classic tale. Shakespeare's tragedy comes to life with brilliantly imagined art.
I find it very hard to read Shakespear's plays. Not only is the language hard, I think that the plays should be seen, performed to fully understand, not just read. You just don't get the full experience that way. Because of that, I enjoyed very much reading the manga version of Romeo and Juliet. the story comes alive, it's all more vivid and just jumps from pages.
Unfortunately, I could not review this book because the file did not download correctly and I cannot access it. It could be my computer - it's an old compaq but it pulls through in a pinch. The book looks really cool though!
The classic masterpiece of Shakespeare comes to life as a manga. The art is gorgeous, the dialogue feels very much like a play rather than what you'd usually read in manga and the ending was as tragic as I remember it.
Loved this version! The artwork it captivating, and really brings the story to life. I think it's such a cool idea to bring well known classics to life using manga style artwork, and these are beautiful and something that would add beauty and brilliance to anyone's library!
I've never enjoyed Shakespeare, but I wanted to give this timeless tale another try through a Manga Classics rendition, as I thought it would make it more interesting. Unfortunately, I still didn't enjoy the story itself, but it would be unfair to judge the manga based on a story written so long ago.

As for the manga itself, though, having read several of the Manga Classics, I'm sad to say this was my least favorite in terms of composure and, most importantly, artwork. It was very simplistic and lacking in details in many panels, and just wasn't as enjoyable to look at as most of the others in the MC line have been.
These are an enjoyable series. I love the adaptation of the classic Romeo and Juliet tale. I think if Shakespeare was around today he would appreciate this faithful adaptation of his classic tale of two lovers in fair Verona. Really do recommend this series.
Like all of the UDON Manga classics I’ve read, I really enjoyed the art of this book, but I wish they’d have simplified the language a bit. Reading Shakespeare as a manga makes the play somehow more approachable - language-wise, I mean - but it’s still Shakespeare...
I loved this book and think that it would be a good addition to any ELA library! This version makes the story so easy to understand that it would be sure to assist any struggling students.  It is perfect for visual learners!
We all enjoy one way or another the story of Romeo and Juliet, whether version you read, original version, modern version, futuristic version, or in this case manga version.
We know it by heart and every time it is remade we look for new things or changes that each writer adds or removes according to their vision.
To say that I enjoyed this manga is to be short, starting with the first thing that attracts me was the beautiful illustrations, I loved it from beginning to end, an excellent version full of successes.